Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Eye Glasses ??????

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Eye Glasses ??????
Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:23 pm
  • I need them, in fact, I needed them 10 yrs ago.

I've been using dime store readers for about that long. I started at the lowest strength and now I'm up to 3.0 or 3.25 to read. I need the 1.0 just to see the TV.
    I'm stupid, I've had vision insurance that pays fairly well this whole time. No excuse for not going, I just haven't.

I have an appointment in a few days. Can't say for sure but I'm guessing I'll need bifocals at minimum.

I'm looking for advise on stuff like lenses, plastic vs polycarbonate vs glass.

Progressive vs bifocal.

The auto darkening etc etc.

I will be checking on laser surgery if my condition will allow but that my take a few months to save for.

Any thoughts will be appreciated :{)
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: Eye Glasses ??????
Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:49 pm
  • Polycarb, it's like wearing safety glasses... If you need bifocals, get the progressives, much better unless you insert IC's for a living I like auto-darkening, but when you go inside from a bright outside you're kinda dark-blind for a few seconds.

If you have plans for lasic, don't get the glasses, get contact as there are different types of surgery depending on exactly what's going on with your eyes, plus your age.

Holler if you'd like more, i have over 50 years in them... seen it all. ;-)
    Journalism is dead, it's been replaced by creative writing aka fake news.
    Critical thinking is pretty much dead too. I miss the hearsay rule.
    The concept of "ethic" has been stripped from the Journalism curriculum.
    Rocket
    * .NET Attention Whore *

Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:54 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:I need them, in fact, I needed them 10 yrs ago.

I've been using dime store readers for about that long. I started at the lowest strength and now I'm up to 3.0 or 3.25 to read. I need the 1.0 just to see the TV.
    I'm stupid, I've had vision insurance that pays fairly well this whole time. No excuse for not going, I just haven't.

I have an appointment in a few days. Can't say for sure but I'm guessing I'll need bifocals at minimum.

Progressive vs bifocal.

I will be checking on laser surgery if my condition will allow but that my take a few months to save for.

I'm in the same boat, I have good enough to do most of what I want but I am losing the battle a inch at a time a day at a time it seems, that and every single thing has a shit load of fine print now days also, from medicine bottles to part numbers on stuff. The ecology people are not printing the inserts like they used to and are stamping in on products which makes a lot of it really small.

Not even sure people with perfect vison could see some of that stuff.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:50 pm
  • Lasik. I threw away all my glasses after spending thousands of dollars on replacements for losing them, scratching them, bending them...etc.

I got Lasik in 2009 and don't need reading glasses at 63 years old. It's awesome.

Screw glasses.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:48 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:I need them, in fact, I needed them 10 yrs ago.

Progressive vs bifocal.

I've been wearing corrective lens since I took my first eye test in kindergarten. I've thought of lasik but I'm so used to the 'cheaters' on my mug, I'd be lost without them. I did once try soft contacts, but had so much trouble inserting them I said flick it.

Now to your questions. I've been using progressive lens since the 80's and I'd suggest those. I have no idea the difference between plastic v polycarbonate. The VA provides my glasses and I have no idea what they are, but probably plastic. I would suggest you take a little extra time and care when cleaning your glasses and never clean them in a rough manner. Gently, with a soft touch will keep down the scratches which can really mess with refracted light and such. I carry only cotton handkerchiefs to also help eliminate scratching. Paper napkins a no, no.

In my ball playing days I always wore photo-grey lenses which changed with the light. When I hit my 50s I stopped using them. IMO the problem with the auto-darkening lenses, was they never were completely clear. Always a slight tint even when indoors.

Another thing. If you go with glasses, remember the frames will most likely be the greater expense. I use aviator style metal frames and found they give me a wider peripheral range. Don't have to turn my head as much, which is better if you drive a lot.

It may take a little time to get used to, but you won't be squinting as much. :mrgreen:

Hope I've been some help.
    In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade.........

Paulie S.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:53 pm
  • Opposite problem for me. I have to remember to take my glasses off so I can read. I get hazy at distance.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:44 am
  • I did LASIK in 2007 or 2008. My vision wasnt that bad at the time, but I do field work in a lot of places you dont want to bother with glasses or contacts. Sadly, Im going to have to redo LASIK this year..both eyes are still better than 20/20, but the left eye is much stronger than the right eye at this point..
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:11 am
  • I just wanted to take this opportunity to brag about having a lifetime of perfect vision :)
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:13 am
  • Vetamur wrote:I did LASIK in 2007 or 2008. My vision wasnt that bad at the time, but I do field work in a lot of places you dont want to bother with glasses or contacts. Sadly, Im going to have to redo LASIK this year..both eyes are still better than 20/20, but the left eye is much stronger than the right eye at this point..

Everyone has a dominate eye, and that is why they do monovision. My left eye is for distance and my right eye is for reading. It takes a while to get used to but once you do it's great.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:42 am
  • As some of you know, I do a lot of shooting. Some of which is competitive.
    I'm slightly worried about LASIK as "dominant" eye is import for some firearm optics.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:16 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:As some of you know, I do a lot of shooting. Some of which is competitive.
    I'm slightly worried about LASIK as "dominant" eye is import for some firearm optics.

Wouldn't you be better served to bring this up with your ophthalmologist, rather than here on .net? :mrgreen:

Paulie S.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:22 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:As some of you know, I do a lot of shooting. Some of which is competitive.

If your right eye is dominant, it would favor shooting. Talk it over with the Lasik people.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:56 am
  • My last set of glasses the doctor asked if I wanted transition lenses which are the tint gradually type. I got them. I dont really like them that much as I sometimes have issues as stated above with my eyes trying to adjust to the light at the same time as the glasses do. I wore glasses back in the 70s for a while during school. Stopped wearing them for personal reasons and then picked them back up about 15 years ago again in the service. I have a reading set of glasses and a working set of glasses. Since I also get them free per se, I decided to go with 2 pair of different lenses instead of bifocal or progressive lenses. I am content with that decision at this time. I thought about lasik, but was told that it would not help with my distortion in one eye, so have determined not to do it. I have astigmatism in my right eye and I can tell it when I wash dishes without my glasses on.

For shooting, I would probably stay away from the transition(darkening) lenses as you want your iris to be as open as possible to see the target clearly. I would probably use an old pair of my glasses for hunting instead of the transition ones for example.

Just my opinion and examples to support it.

A friend had coke bottle glasses and had lasik done about 10 or 11 years ago and threw away the glasses. AF would not pay for it so he did it himself.

Good luck with your decision.
    I also understand why you came here for information. Experience is a factor in making decisions of this sort and those with experience are here as well. Thank you.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:42 pm
  • LymonHawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:As some of you know, I do a lot of shooting. Some of which is competitive.

Wouldn't you be better served to bring this up with your ophthalmologist, rather than here on .net? :mrgreen:

Yes you old fart but I'm trying to have a conversation :{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:36 pm
  • I bit the bullet a few years ago and got glasses. I needed bifocals too. But I found that I never did adjust well to them, since you have to train yourself to look through a particular spot on the lens to see far or near. Maybe I didn't give them enough time.

So last time I just got the main prescription, and I bought readers for the up close stuff. Yeah, two sets, but it
    worked better for me.
    enjoy the ride
    HomerJHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:27 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    Vetamur wrote:I did LASIK in 2007 or 2008. My vision wasnt that bad at the time, but I do field work in a lot of places you dont want to bother with glasses or contacts. Sadly, Im going to have to redo LASIK this year..both eyes are still better than 20/20, but the left eye is much stronger than the right eye at this point..

Everyone has a dominate eye, and that is why they do monovision. My left eye is for distance and my right eye is for reading. It takes a while to get used to but once you do it's great.

Its not merely dominant, I have to close one eye to read sometimes..and I spend up to 12 hours a day reading....
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:28 pm
  • Progressive lenses here, no transitions. I use a clip-on sunglass.

I have a hard time in the dark, I have astigmatism, am near-sighted, and each eye is different. Your basic old-peoples eyes. Not a candidate for Lasik, but I can do contacts. Decided against those.

Love the progressive lenses. Just took a week to get used to the rhombus view you get. Tip you head down for distance, up for close up. Seems to work great for me. After a while you kinda appreciate the view options with the progressives, like no lines, and they don't have to be huge.
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:48 pm
  • Buncha old farts we are.

Perfect vision was the ONE thing I could hold over my family as being different (they all had glasses) until I turned 45. I am an avid reader. I've read at night since I was a boy. One night, I noticed that the words seemed a tiny bit blurry. Well we all know how this story ends. Now I use reading glasses to read ANYTHING small text. My smart phone, Nook, what-have-you.

Getting older really sucks. :evil:

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:03 am
  • Another thing that I may add here. I was retired from the service, and I was in the BX which is base exchange or base walmart for those that dont understand. There was a salesman in there that said that my glasses dont fit my face. He is just that, a salesman. He has NO idea what he is saying with the exception to sell crap. I got glasses for a purpose. To Read, To Play Pool, and To play Golf. That salesman was trying to sell me something that does not fit my full realm. I would have had to purchase 4 or more sets of glasses to fit his thought process. Keep that in mind if you go to purchase them. Purchase what fits YOUR conditions, not theirs.

THIS is why Pmedic put this out there. This is a great example of why we have a great community here.

Go Hawks.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:27 am
  • I wish I didn't need glasses. I have been near sighted since I hit puberty. I hate glasses so have never worn them to see far. Contacts always. However, now that I am over a certain age, I use reading glasses to see up close, ESPECIALLY when I have my contacts in. SIGH. Aging sucks. All of my friends need reading glasses, even the friends that have perfect far vision. I cannot afford Lasik so I won't even consider it. When you are on a fixed income, there are certain things you cannot afford.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:44 am
  • Yep, now that I'm 43 I have one eye that is pretty fuzzy at close range. No headaches from it (yet), but I too will probably have to get checked and get glasses soon.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:00 am
  • Trenchbroom wrote:Yep, now that I'm 43 I have one eye that is pretty fuzzy at close range. No headaches from it (yet), but I too will probably have to get checked and get glasses soon.

Nothing to panic about, it just what happens to most folks when they pass 40yo.

Of course, your 'fuzzy at close range' would explain some of your posts. :mrgreen:

Paulie S.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:03 am
  • I at 46 yo had a nice 50" rear projection TV I'd had for 10 years.
    The thing was GREAT. Never used much.
    Right before SB 49 I noticed I couldn't tell the difference between a 0,8,9 or a 3 on sports scores.
    I assumed it was the rear projection lenses that needed to be aligned.
    It didn't work. So we bought a killer 60" HD Sony for the game. Called my cable company and switched the signal to HD.
    It was incredible!!!!
    THEN I realized, hey those numbers are still fuzzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTH???
    My GF says, maybe you need GLASSES. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, after 45+ years of being the only one in the family without glasses, I needed them for anything further than 4 feet, and closer than a foot.

A guy here at work has some really cool custom Ray Bans that are green and blue.
    I just went w the typical Oakley square lenses.
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:11 am
  • I wear glasses if something is far away and I want to see detail, like the ticker running under scores, or the scores for that matter. I could have gotten Lasik, but I have an unnatural fear of anything touching my eyeballs, to include drops. The ophthalmologist hates when I have to get my eyes dilated as it takes a full bottle per eye to get anything in there.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:37 pm
  • LymonHawk wrote:
    Trenchbroom wrote:Yep, now that I'm 43 I have one eye that is pretty fuzzy at close range. No headaches from it (yet), but I too will probably have to get checked and get glasses soon.

Nothing to panic about, it just what happens to most folks when they pass 40yo.

Of course, your 'fuzzy at close range' would explain some of your posts. :mrgreen:

Nah, just like you Lymon, there is a lower-hanging fruit to blame for some of the posts: weed. :lol:

Guess I don't have glaucoma though... ;)
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:06 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:I wear glasses if something is far away and I want to see detail, like the ticker running under scores, or the scores for that matter. I could have gotten Lasik, but I have an unnatural fear of anything touching my eyeballs, to include drops. The ophthalmologist hates when I have to get my eyes dilated as it takes a full bottle per eye to get anything in there.

Easy solution. Have your doc get one of these. I'm sure Peaches would agree.

enjoy the ride
    HomerJHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:37 pm

When guns are more important than vision, its time to.........
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:51 pm
  • HomerJHawk wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:I wear glasses if something is far away and I want to see detail, like the ticker running under scores, or the scores for that matter. I could have gotten Lasik, but I have an unnatural fear of anything touching my eyeballs, to include drops. The ophthalmologist hates when I have to get my eyes dilated as it takes a full bottle per eye to get anything in there.

Easy solution. Have your doc get one of these. I'm sure Peaches would agree.

Worst. Nightmare.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Eye Glasses ??????
Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:09 pm
  • So, I went to the doc on Tuesday.

I have no issues other than TMB syndrome. (To many birthdays)

I ordered a pair of glasses. Some nice Oakley frames with progressive lenses.

The doc also fitted me for contacts and gave me a few sample pairs.
    I actually like the contacts but they will never be perfect for me. Still fuzzy at extremely close and extremely far.
    The contacts are much more comfortable than I ever imagined and I had very little trouble learning to install and remove them. The only real issue I had was, trying to figure out if they were inside out or not.
    Glasses will be in in about a week. In the mean time, it sure is nice watching the TV and actually being able to read something on the screen.

If you find yourself in the same situation as I was in, " just do it", go the the doctor, it wasn't bad at all.
    Cost was not bad either.
    $90 for my glasses. That's for the designer frames and top quality lenses.
    Was $10 for the contact fitting and I got 3 pairs of different brand lenses to try.

Thanks for all the advise :{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:11 pm
  • Oh yea, I can also pick up my phone to read a text without putting on my readers.

Yay :{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:31 pm
  • Subzero717 wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:As some of you know, I do a lot of shooting. Some of which is competitive.

When guns are more important than vision, its time to.........

Slow down GhostRider.

Nobody said anything of the sorts.

I'm just not willing to "elect" a surgery that would make it impossible for me to shoot.
    Prior to my appointment I was ignorant to how LASIK actually worked, hence my "worry".

Obviously, I'd hope, you understand that I wouldn't trade my sight for my guns.

As it turns out, with my situation, they would do one eye for up close and the other for distance.
    That is not optimal for shooting but I have other options so I'm good for now.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:34 pm
  • I got glasses a little over a year ago.

I look damn sexy in them I must say.

Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:08 pm
  • Yes sir, you a sexy mofo :{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri May 11, 2018 10:28 am
  • Those dime store ones are nowhere near the clarity of a real prescription lens. Yes it's much more expensive. But your insurance should cover some of it to help you. As long as you take care of them they should last years. Just don't drop them or scratch them badly. I've had glasses for years. The prescription usually doesn't change much. You can keep the same one for years and years. Unfortunately I lose one of my backup pairs when my car was stolen and it was in there. Each pair costs hundreds of dollars and I just completely lost that one. I have just 1 pair. But it still works fine. Your prescription doesn't change dramatically over a few years for most people. It's usually pretty stable. If it did change it's like 3% different or 5% different. Old glasses still work in that case. It's not so much different that you can't use them effectively.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie

Fri May 11, 2018 3:25 pm
  • Wow, talk about resurrecting a forum. So many people posting in this thread who don't come around anymore.

My personal advice for the topic at hand? Eye patch and a monocle.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Fri May 18, 2018 6:52 am
  • HawkGA wrote:Wow, talk about resurrecting a forum. So many people posting in this thread who don't come around anymore.

My personal advice for the topic at hand? Eye patch and a monocle.

I know rite.

Leave it to a 9er fan to bump a thread that hasn’t been posted in FOR TWO YEARS.

I’ll give him a lil credit though, occasionally it’s cool to look back.
    A lil more credit for digging though our history.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri May 18, 2018 12:44 pm
  • Some bones should be left undisturbed however.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:46 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information