Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

BBQ: Grilling and Smoking

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:23 am
  • Here is something I like to cook/smoke on the Weber.

Pork tenderloin.
    This is the actual whole tenderloin , not a loin.
    These are small and I general figure one for 2-3 people depending on how much meat your peeps like. With 3-4 sides you could probably feed 3-4 per loin.

I heavily season with onion, garlic and a Cajun seasoning. I like Tony's but I get the "more spice" blend. This has high salt content so keep that in mind.
    Then I wrap the entire loin with thick cut bacon.

I cook these at higher temp than ribs but not real hot. 275 or so but not over 300.
    A meat
    Thermometer is handy on these, can be difficult to judge as the bacon crisps.
    Any wood that you like will be good but this is one that I really like mesquite.
    I buy the all natural ones, and they tend to run smaller than the others. This one will take about 3 1/2 hrs but again, I go by internal temp, not time.

ImageImageImage

Obviously you can season however you like. I like the "kick" from the Cajun mix.
    I'll post the finished loin when it's done.

BTW, I season and wrap the loin cold but let sit until room temp before putting on to smoke/grill.

Edit. Couple things I forgot to mention.
    If you use a thermometer put it in the thick end, and I wrap the bacon heavier on the thin end, this seems to promote a more even cook.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: BBQ: Grilling and Smoking
Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:48 am
  • You have such excellent timing. I just found one of these marked down 50% from an already reasonable price. Was considering what I might do to it besides the standard season/smoke. Bacon is always a plus, so I just may well try it.

Thanks for the pics. Looks like it's going to be delicious. I keep meaning to take pictures, but I get so involved in the prepping/cooking/eating that I forget about the picture taking.

I've been experimenting with whole chickens lately, and I've done a few recently the same way and they've come out absolutely perfect each time. I'll add the "recipe" here:

First thing I do is take a whole chicken and remove the backbone and the keel bone so it will lay flat and even on the grate.

Next I mix a brine. My brine always includes equal parts Kosher salt/Brown Sugar. I use 1 cup each per gallon but I adjust the amounts to fit the amount of liquid needed. Often half gallon is more than enough to cover one split chicken like this. The rest of the brine ingredients can vary by user for taste, but I like to add some Soy sauce and finely minced garlic for the chicken. I brine it for about 4 hours. Too long and it gets too salty, too little and it doesn't impart much flavor.

Once it's done in the brine, I rinse it well and pat it dry, then put it back in the fridge a few hours to air dry. I then usually cover it and leave it in the fridge overnight. It could be done in the same day if started early enough, but I usually cook something else on this day and do the chicken the next day.

The next morning I make an herb butter. I use things like Oregeno, Thyme, Rosemary and Sage, but people can use what they like to impart the flavors they want. It could even be a spice butter instead of an herb butter if you wanted it to be. I take the herb butter and place it under the skin and work it around so it's fairly evenly distributed.

Finally, I rub the outside of the skin and exposed meat with olive oil (sometimes avocado oil but that's again just a preference thing) and use a generous amount of dry rub...whichever suits your fancy. My go to on the chicken right now is a combination of Johnny's seasoning salt and McCormick's grill mates Chicken. Obviously whatever flavors you prefer.

Then I smoke it for about 2 hours using heavy smoke and keeping the temps between 230 and 270. Once the internal temp gets in the 150s, I remove it from the smoker and I do one of two things, I either use the regular grill for higher heat cooking if I've also been grilling while I smoke, or I put it in the oven at 400-425 to finish it off. This gets the skin a bit crispy. Doing it on the grill gives the best "bite" to the skin, but the oven does an alright job of finishing it off.

I personally don't usually eat the skin but those that do seem to enjoy it like that. I also think that 2 hours of fairly heavy smoke is plenty of flavor on the chicken, but that's my personal taste.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:06 am
  • PMedic, Where's my happy ending? No pic of the crispy, crunchity, delicious end product?

Don't tell me you're a tease?
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:13 am
  • StoneCold wrote:PMedic, Where's my happy ending? No pic of the crispy, crunchity, delicious end product?

Yo Dog, chill for a minute.
    Haven't even put it on the grill yet.
    I'll post up later :{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:22 am
  • kidhawk wrote:You have such excellent timing. I just found one of these marked down 50% from an already reasonable price. Was considering what I might do to it besides the standard season/smoke. Bacon is always a plus, so I just may well try it.

Thanks for the pics. Looks like it's going to be delicious. I keep meaning to take pictures, but I get so involved in the prepping/cooking/eating that I forget about the picture taking.

I've been experimenting with whole chickens lately, and I've done a few recently the same way and they've come out absolutely perfect each time. I'll add the "recipe" here:

First thing I do is take a whole chicken and remove the backbone and the keel bone so it will lay flat and even on the grate.

Next I mix a brine. My brine always includes equal parts Kosher salt/Brown Sugar. I use 1 cup each per gallon but I adjust the amounts to fit the amount of liquid needed. Often half gallon is more than enough to cover one split chicken like this. The rest of the brine ingredients can vary by user for taste, but I like to add some Soy sauce and finely minced garlic for the chicken. I brine it for about 4 hours. Too long and it gets too salty, too little and it doesn't impart much flavor.

Once it's done in the brine, I rinse it well and pat it dry, then put it back in the fridge a few hours to air dry. I then usually cover it and leave it in the fridge overnight. It could be done in the same day if started early enough, but I usually cook something else on this day and do the chicken the next day.

The next morning I make an herb butter. I use things like Oregeno, Thyme, Rosemary and Sage, but people can use what they like to impart the flavors they want. It could even be a spice butter instead of an herb butter if you wanted it to be. I take the herb butter and place it under the skin and work it around so it's fairly evenly distributed.

Finally, I rub the outside of the skin and exposed meat with olive oil (sometimes avocado oil but that's again just a preference thing) and use a generous amount of dry rub...whichever suits your fancy. My go to on the chicken right now is a combination of Johnny's seasoning salt and McCormick's grill mates Chicken. Obviously whatever flavors you prefer.

Then I smoke it for about 2 hours using heavy smoke and keeping the temps between 230 and 270. Once the internal temp gets in the 150s, I remove it from the smoker and I do one of two things, I either use the regular grill for higher heat cooking if I've also been grilling while I smoke, or I put it in the oven at 400-425 to finish it off. This gets the skin a bit crispy. Doing it on the grill gives the best "bite" to the skin, but the oven does an alright job of finishing it off.

I personally don't usually eat the skin but those that do seem to enjoy it like that. I also think that 2 hours of fairly heavy smoke is plenty of flavor on the chicken, but that's my personal taste.

I think the "whole pork tenderloin" is an unsung hero of grilling.
    Even at full price this "all natural" one was less than $8.
    One of my favorite ways to cook them is, and Asian BBQ. I let them chill for a couple hours.
    Cut in slices 1/4 inch, serve with the Chinese hot mustard and sesame seeds. Finger food/appetizer.

As for "whole" chickens, I really enjoy the "beer can"/ drunk chicken.
    If you have never tried, you should.
    Tons of stuff on the net but I've got my own variation that most people rave about.

Your split method sounds great too.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:31 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:PMedic, Where's my happy ending? No pic of the crispy, crunchity, delicious end product?

Yo Dog, chill for a minute.
    Haven't even put it on the grill yet.
    I'll post up later :{)

Man, yer gonna make me wait for it? Didn't realize I was gonna get some slow porkin'. :)

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:37 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    I think the "whole pork tenderloin" is an unsung hero of grilling.
    Even at full price this "all natural" one was less than $8.
    One of my favorite ways to cook them is, and Asian BBQ. I let them chill for a couple hours.
    Cut in slices 1/4 inch, serve with the Chinese hot mustard and sesame seeds. Finger food/appetizer.

As for "whole" chickens, I really enjoy the "beer can"/ drunk chicken.
    If you have never tried, you should.
    Tons of stuff on the net but I've got my own variation that most people rave about.

Your split method sounds great too.

I think the idea of using it like that with hot mustard as an appetizer instead of the meal is a great one. I have done that before but it's been awhile. The wife is not a fan of pork (one of the few people I know who doesn't like bacon) so I don't cook it as often, but now that I'm back to smoking, pork is more of a staple, and that just means more for me. That tenderloin I got was a good price as well. I believe it was around $8.40, but with the discount, It was practically a steal at $4.20 for the whole thing, so I bought it and threw it in the freezer. Definitely am going to get it smoked up as you're making me hungry

I have done the beer can chicken method and it works great and tastes good as well. It does take a bit longer when you leave it whole though, and I like the idea of getting a good dense smoke for about 2 hours and pulling it off. I do have a question when it comes to beer can chicken though, as I'm not a huge beer consumer, I've generally done it using apple juice or some other variation of liquid in a can. Is there a huge difference in what goes in the can as far as flavor for the chicken, or do you find that it's mostly about the moisture factor?

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:42 am
  • StoneCold wrote:
    Man, yer gonna make me wait for it? Didn't realize I was gonna get some slow porkin'. :)

Yea Dude, I'm on the back porch.
    Got some good Blues playing, some ice cold beers close by, grill is fixin' to be lit.

I'm in no hurry today, I'm all about the "slow porkin'"
    Life sucks, wish a couple of y'all could be here :{)Image
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:49 am
  • It's a gorgeous day outside right now here. I'm definitely a tad jealous you're sitting on your porch with the time to smoke that pork today. I've got some nice boneless/skinless chicken breasts marinated at home right now waiting to hit the hot grill. No time for the smoker today, but it'll be good and right now I can't wait to get to it. Alas I won't be there for 6 more hours

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:07 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:It's a gorgeous day outside right now here. I'm definitely a tad jealous you're sitting on your porch with the time to smoke that pork today. I've got some nice boneless/skinless chicken breasts marinated at home right now waiting to hit the hot grill. No time for the smoker today, but it'll be good and right now I can't wait to get to it. Alas I won't be there for 6 more hours

Well, don't be deceived.
    There is a down side, I'm home alone, the wife is working.
    My only friends are you guys, and none of you will come over to play :{)
    Maybe I shouldn't be a "dick" all of the time.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:12 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:It's a gorgeous day outside right now here. I'm definitely a tad jealous you're sitting on your porch with the time to smoke that pork today. I've got some nice boneless/skinless chicken breasts marinated at home right now waiting to hit the hot grill. No time for the smoker today, but it'll be good and right now I can't wait to get to it. Alas I won't be there for 6 more hours

Well, don't be deceived.
    There is a down side, I'm home alone, the wife is working.
    My only friends are you guys, and none of you will come over to play :{)
    Maybe I shouldn't be a "dick" all of the time.

:irishdrinkers:

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:16 pm
  • 3:15 my time.

It's on the grill.

Keep lid closed, regulate temp with vents.

Remember: if you're lookin' you ain't cookin"
    :{)Image
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:05 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:3:15 my time.

It's on the grill.

Can't wait to see it cooked. Have you ever done or eaten a porchetta? Very similar idea to what you have going on today.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:36 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:3:15 my time.

It's on the grill.

Can't wait to see it cooked. Have you ever done or eaten a porchetta? Very similar idea to what you have going on today.

I'm a "wop", yes I've eaten porchetta.

In a traditional sense, the only similarities that I see is "wrapped" pork cooked over fire.

The Porchetta that I grew up eating (cooked by grandmother) was wrapped with cured pork (Pancetta) not smoked (our "bacon")

The pork meat was stuffed as well.

The end result, IMO is not the same but I can see how you might see the parallel.

IMHO, what I'm doing with this tenderloin is closer to BBQ than it is a "traditional" Porchetta.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:07 pm
  • looking at that pic of your thermometer reminds me that my wife got me a dual probe digital thermometer at Christmas to use for by grilling this summer. It's the kind with a probe to track the internal temperature of the grill and another to check the meat. I also have an extra meat probe that I use when smoking two different hunks of meat. The second one I just leave in the meat and swap the plugs into the unit to check the temp. It also comes with a portable unit I can bring with me so I can watch all the temps without ever having to open the smoker. That thing is a godsend. Without it I'd have trouble resisting temptation to check the temperatures too often and we all know that opening it too often slows everything down. I highly recommend them for those who do a lot of outdoor cooking.

EDIT: I see you deleted it and reposted it after this post, so the part where it says I'm looking at your thermometer is for the picture of the pork at 140. Just to be clear :2thumbs:
    Last edited by kidhawk on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:12 pm
  • First peek.

Internal temp @ 140.

Been running about 280, I'm closing down the vents to finish around 250.

This is going faster than I anticipated.
    Still in good shape but I'm gunna' slow it down.
    Putting my foil wrapped corn on cob on now.

I'm guessing another 45 mins to an hour.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:15 pm
  • Corn?

I peel back the husks, butter heavily, season with the same Cajun mix. Recover with the husks, wrap tightly with foil.

They basically "steam" in the husks.

Foil protects the corn from smoke, corn has good clean sweet flavor.

BTW, the "drunk apples" that I mentioned up thread, is a great side with the tenderloin cooked this way.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:21 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Corn?

I peel back the husks, butter heavily, season with the same Cajun mix. Recover with the husks, wrap tightly with foil.

They basically "steam" in the husks.

Foil protects the corn from smoke, corn has good clean sweet flavor.

BTW, the "drunk apples" that I mentioned up thread, is a great side with the tenderloin cooked this way.

That's almost exactly how I do corn. The only minor difference (and it's really minor) is that I season the butter with a dry seasoning and then just rub that mixture onto the corn and wrap the husks around it then in foil.

I did some like that over the Independence day holiday and my 10 month old got to try it like that for the first time and absolutely loved it. Obviously I cut them off the cob for her (she only has 2 teeth)

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:31 pm
  • For whole chicken, the best way to go is a rotisserie cooker. Prepare it how you will--I simply baste it in an herb mixture of garlic, black pepper, a little salt, and oregano--and skewer it and fire it up. A lot of times they burn hotter than I like, and so towards the end, I like to watch it carefully and alternate between heat-on spinning and heat-off spinning, to maintain the inner temperature, and yet not burn the skin.

Do it right, and it literally falls apart getting it out of the rotisserie if you're not careful with it. It's fall-off-the-bone good, and really juicy. I also like to throw a bunch of extra spices inside the chicken when it cooks, just to get the flavor of the spices fully permeated into the meat.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:38 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:For whole chicken, the best way to go is a rotisserie cooker. Prepare it how you will--I simply baste it in an herb mixture of garlic, black pepper, a little salt, and oregano--and skewer it and fire it up. A lot of times they burn hotter than I like, and so towards the end, I like to watch it carefully and alternate between heat-on spinning and heat-off spinning, to maintain the inner temperature, and yet not burn the skin.

Do it right, and it literally falls apart getting it out of the rotisserie if you're not careful with it. It's fall-off-the-bone good, and really juicy. I also like to throw a bunch of extra spices inside the chicken when it cooks, just to get the flavor of the spices fully permeated into the meat.

I've never had nor used a rotisserie, but it definitely sounds good. For now I'm stuck with old school (or is rotisserie old school?)

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:45 pm
  • I like a quick sear and then let the meat internally generate heat till done like so.

That does look really good Pmedic.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:47 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:3:15 my time.

It's on the grill.

I'm a "wop", yes I've eaten porchetta.

In a traditional sense, the only similarities that I see is "wrapped" pork cooked over fire.

The Porchetta that I grew up eating (cooked by grandmother) was wrapped with cured pork (Pancetta) not smoked (our "bacon")

The pork meat was stuffed as well.

The end result, IMO is not the same but I can see how you might see the parallel.

IMHO, what I'm doing with this tenderloin is closer to BBQ than it is a "traditional" Porchetta.

A porchetta that I've tried and read about is a whole, deboned pig where the loin is wrapped around the belly. I didn't do a whole pig, just a loin that had the deboned belly still attached. And yes there are lots of other spices and such, but the idea of wrapping a loin or tenderloin in some kind of pork belly is what I meant by similar. Like many things there are many authentic ways to make them...authentic. :)

And yours looks delicious!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:47 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:For whole chicken, the best way to go is a rotisserie cooker. Prepare it how you will--I simply baste it in an herb mixture of garlic, black pepper, a little salt, and oregano--and skewer it and fire it up. A lot of times they burn hotter than I like, and so towards the end, I like to watch it carefully and alternate between heat-on spinning and heat-off spinning, to maintain the inner temperature, and yet not burn the skin.

Have you ever played around with the "beer in the butt" chicken?

I use 16 oz cans, I pour out an inch or so of the beer, add some minced garlic and cayenne pepper, top it off with enough soy sauce to fill the can back up.

Smokes/grills from the outside, steams from the inside.

Your method sounds awesome but if you've never tried "beer in the butt" chicken, you should.

If it includes beer, can't be bad.
    :{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:53 pm
  • I know it's not traditional but Bar B Que Turkey is very good also, just get one of those small 12 pounders or so, get a pound of bacon and lay over the top on the breasts and across the legs to self baste. Great way to have a Thanksgiving dinner if your out of power that day which happens frequently in the NW, you take the Potatoes and Dressing what nots and wrap in foil and set around it for the last 30 minutes or so.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:58 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:For whole chicken, the best way to go is a rotisserie cooker. Prepare it how you will--I simply baste it in an herb mixture of garlic, black pepper, a little salt, and oregano--and skewer it and fire it up. A lot of times they burn hotter than I like, and so towards the end, I like to watch it carefully and alternate between heat-on spinning and heat-off spinning, to maintain the inner temperature, and yet not burn the skin.

I use 16 oz cans, I pour out an inch or so of the beer, add some minced garlic and cayenne pepper, top it off with enough soy sauce to fill the can back up.

Your method sounds awesome but if you've never tried "beer in the butt" chicken, you should.

No, haven't tried "beer in the butt" chicken. Always kind of wanted to, and yeah, beer makes any meat taste much better! Can't seem to get away from that rotisserie when I do whole chickens, though. It's so, so good. Picked up that habit from too many dets down to Souda Bay, Crete back in day. The "closest souvlaki place" had wonderful rotisserie chicken they'd do all damn day on the spinners, slow-cooked over coals. You had to get there exactly when they were done, and even then hope someone didn't call ahead and order them all out from under you. About the best chicken I've ever had in my life! And I've been hooked ever since.

About the only thing better rotisserie-wise, is traditional Filipino-style lechon. Roast pig, skewered and slow-roasted all day over coals. Whole. Usually a backyard thing, mostly with parties and fiestas. The meat turns tender and fall-off-the-bone, and the skin turns all crispy and crunchy and dripping with fat. It's the most delicious way to plan for a heart attack you could ever imagine. If you've never tried it, you really should. And you can make a reasonably close copy of it with a picnic butt in the oven.

Not my image below, but it gives you an idea.

"The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:53 pm
  • Ok, here we go.
    I drank about 6-7 good beers while I was cooking. So there is that. :{)

Temp got to 162 quicker than I was planning for.
    I pulled the tenderloin off the grill, wrapped it in foil and set in the microwave.
    20 mins later, it was at 172.
    Just bout right for "fresh" pork.

I did some corn on the grill (as above), and made a stuffing from some bread that I had previously dried.

Hers a few pix.
    I'm full to the brim (food & beer).

If I'd have had any guests, I'd have made a salad and some "drunk apples". With the sides, this would have easily fed 4 hearty eaters for less than 4$ per person, total, not counting beer.

Pleas excuse my presentation, after 6 beers, I lost interest in trying to impress y'all.

Taste, was exactly what I was shooting for.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:07 pm
  • Thankfully I'll be home to grill my dinner in about 2 hours, because that has me very hungry

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:15 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:For whole chicken, the best way to go is a rotisserie cooker. Prepare it how you will--I simply baste it in an herb mixture of garlic, black pepper, a little salt, and oregano--and skewer it and fire it up. A lot of times they burn hotter than I like, and so towards the end, I like to watch it carefully and alternate between heat-on spinning and heat-off spinning, to maintain the inner temperature, and yet not burn the skin.

No, haven't tried "beer in the butt" chicken. Always kind of wanted to, and yeah, beer makes any meat taste much better! Can't seem to get away from that rotisserie when I do whole chickens, though. It's so, so good. Picked up that habit from too many dets down to Souda Bay, Crete back in day. The "closest souvlaki place" had wonderful rotisserie chicken they'd do all damn day on the spinners, slow-cooked over coals. You had to get there exactly when they were done, and even then hope someone didn't call ahead and order them all out from under you. About the best chicken I've ever had in my life! And I've been hooked ever since.

About the only thing better rotisserie-wise, is traditional Filipino-style lechon. Roast pig, skewered and slow-roasted all day over coals. Whole. Usually a backyard thing, mostly with parties and fiestas. The meat turns tender and fall-off-the-bone, and the skin turns all crispy and crunchy and dripping with fat. It's the most delicious way to plan for a heart attack you could ever imagine. If you've never tried it, you really should. And you can make a reasonably close copy of it with a picnic butt in the oven.

Not my image below, but it gives you an idea.

Yes....I had this.....that one night I remember......dont ask. We were on the beach and had marines with us. It ended up being a great night. Then we ate. Iba Beach will never be the same. That TDY/TAD, I had some liver and onions from heaven in San Miguel Just north of Olongapo. Could be the wrong name but the big town just south of Iba beach Zambales. They did have the coldest beer in the world there too. Radar TDY was fantastic in the Philippines.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:30 pm
  • I think on Saturday I will be smoking a couple pork butts. Will probably make my own simple rub and go with some apple wood and charcoal on the Weber kettle. Planning on about 10 hours at 225-250. Will probably finish it Lexington style with a nice vinegar sauce. Been way too long since I have had some good pork.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:22 pm
  • andyh64000 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:The Beef Ribs thread:

And in no particular order, and not inclusive, this is my most common foods to smoke:

1) Whole Chicken (and sometimes I'll even smoke bone in chicken quarters or pieces)

2) Prime Rib

3) Brisket

4) Ribs (beef or pork)

5) Salmon (I haven't done this in awhile but am going to do some soom)

6) Pork shoulder (makes great pulled pork)

Feel free to add in your favorites and different techniques you use to get the flavors you want. We can all learn a little something and make our summer bbq just that much better

I recently got a big green egg and am totally hooked. I am afraid to try prime rib...I have done whole beef tenderloins from Costco twice and both were outstanding (takes a little trimming prep). I am 2 out of 3 on briskets...one was way to dry.

I wanted to do Salmon but the large egg only fits one full sized plank at a time.

I have found that pulled pork is almost foolproof as long as you pay attention to the internal temp.

Do you foil your beef/pork at all? I tried foiling brisket at about 170 and seemed to work pretty well. My dry brisket wasn't foiled.

Cooked a prime rib on 4th of July. Dry rubbed fine and then course, cooked to 120 over vegetables and water then removed, wrapped in foil and let rest in a cooler for an hour. Used the water from the vegetables as aju. Came out perfect.
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:41 am
  • Something I didn't see mentioned...this turned out great!
    Attachments
    13511062_10154921342485410_2888143786272235336_n-3.jpg
    13511062_10154921342485410_2888143786272235336_n-3.jpg (81.48 KiB) Viewed 582 times
    andyh64000
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:12 pm
  • Pork Ribs from last Friday.
    Attachments
    PorkRibsWeb.jpg
    PorkRibsWeb.jpg (212.31 KiB) Viewed 567 times

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:17 am
  • Pork butts cooked on Saturday:

Here they are rubbed down and ready for the smoke. I went Piedmont NC style with these. Fairly basic rub (paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, etc.):

Cooked for ~9 1/2 hours, rested for about an hour:

Great flavor. The bones pulled out clean but the meat right around the bones was still a bit too tight. Could have probably used another 30-60 minutes on the cooker. The meat on the end away from the bones was perfect though. Next time I will probably brine the butts before to get a bit more flavor into the meat.

As far as a sauce I went Western Carolina with it. Cider vinegar, ketchup, red pepper flake, brown sugar, pepper.

Very please with how these turned out for my first time cooking pork butts. Can't wait to try again.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:00 am
  • To what temperature did you take them?

drcool wrote:
    Great flavor. The bones pulled out clean but the meat right around the bones was still a bit too tight. Could have probably used another 30-60 minutes on the cooker. The meat on the end away from the bones was perfect though. Next time I will probably brine the butts before to get a bit more flavor into the meat.

As far as a sauce I went Western Carolina with it. Cider vinegar, ketchup, red pepper flake, brown sugar, pepper.

Very please with how these turned out for my first time cooking pork butts. Can't wait to try again.
    andyh64000
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:19 pm
  • drcool wrote:Pork butts cooked on Saturday:

Here they are rubbed down and ready for the smoke. I went Piedmont NC style with these. Fairly basic rub (paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, etc.):

That is some pretty pork. I used to think that making a pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw sounded odd, but when you get the right mix of the vinegar in coleslaw, bbq sauce and rich, delicious pulled pork, it's damn good stuff.

Nice cook. What do you cook on? I think you mentioned it before, but can't remember.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:51 am
  • StoneCold wrote:
    Nice cook. What do you cook on? I think you mentioned it before, but can't remember.

I used a Weber kettle. Used the snake method and was able to keep the heat very consistent for the whole cook.

That style of slaw (cabbage with some of the sauce mixed in) wasn't good on its own and I didn't really like too much of the sauce with the pork but add everything together and it was great.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:54 am
  • drcool wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:

I used a Weber kettle. Used the snake method and was able to keep the heat very consistent for the whole cook.

That style of slaw (cabbage with some of the sauce mixed in) wasn't good on its own and I didn't really like too much of the sauce with the pork but add everything together and it was great.

Impressive fire management. I had trouble with that on my Weber Kettle which is why I bought a WSM. Well done.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:07 pm
  • For the opening weekend, I'm going to run the smoker all day Saturday to get a 7 lb pork shoulder cooked and ready for game day Sunday. It's been a long time since I've done any pork for pulling.

I plan to do it similar to how I've done pork before and give it a good coat of seasoning and smoke between 220-240 all day. I've heard shoulder is best cooked to just over 200 degrees before pulling it and letting it rest, but otherwise I'm just kind of winging it.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:51 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:For the opening weekend, I'm going to run the smoker all day Saturday to get a 7 lb pork shoulder cooked and ready for game day Sunday. It's been a long time since I've done any pork for pulling.

I plan to do it similar to how I've done pork before and give it a good coat of seasoning and smoke between 220-240 all day. I've heard shoulder is best cooked to just over 200 degrees before pulling it and letting it rest, but otherwise I'm just kind of winging it.

David, sounds great.

Wish I had time to do something along those lines.

Let us know how it turns out.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:17 am
  • 200 to 205 are good temps to shoot for. If it has a bone, it's done when you can pull it. :)

This weekend I'll be cleaning my smoker. Labor Day weekend I did 8 racks of ribs and 2 chickens for my brothers birthday. This is the only pic I have. You can barely see but there are 6 racks on the lower grill and obviously two on top. This is from the 2 hour mark. Shortly after this pic they were slathered in a blueberry sauce, wrapped in foil and let cook another 3 hours. They got another 30 to 60 mins unwrapped to set the bark. Some were falling apart after the foil. It's very hard to time 8 racks and two chickens on one smoker to all come out at the same time.
    Attachments
    8racksSmall.jpg
    8racksSmall.jpg (251.42 KiB) Viewed 465 times

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:20 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:For the opening weekend, I'm going to run the smoker all day Saturday to get a 7 lb pork shoulder cooked and ready for game day Sunday. It's been a long time since I've done any pork for pulling.

David, sounds great.

Will do. I did a little internet research, and it seems fairly simple (just time consuming). This is basically the plan

1) I may brine it overnight (still undecided on this part as I've never used a brine on anything except turkey and chicken)

2) rub it down with mustard and season it with a good seasoning mix all over

3) smoke it at 220-240 until the outside looks just the way I'd like (I'm reading internal temps anywhere from 140 - 160 at this point)

4) Wrap it in foil (likely put it in a foil pan and cover it) and let it cook to somewhere in the 200 degree range (I've read anywhere from 195 to 208)

5) Rest it for 30 -60 minutes

6) Pull the meat

I plan to use the foil roasting pan so I can reuse the juices the next day to infuse some extra moisture into the pork for Game Day. Once it cools, I'll just remove the fat from the juices and use the rest.

Anyway, that's the plan for now. Any suggestions anyone might have would be great

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:43 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:For the opening weekend, I'm going to run the smoker all day Saturday to get a 7 lb pork shoulder cooked and ready for game day Sunday. It's been a long time since I've done any pork for pulling.

David, sounds great.

Will do. I did a little internet research, and it seems fairly simple (just time consuming). This is basically the plan

1) I may brine it overnight (still undecided on this part as I've never used a brine on anything except turkey and chicken)

3) smoke it at 220-240 until the outside looks just the way I'd like (I'm reading internal temps anywhere from 140 - 160 at this point)

4) Wrap it in foil (likely put it in a foil pan and cover it) and let it cook to somewhere in the 200 degree range (I've read anywhere from 195 to 208)

6) Pull the meat

I plan to use the foil roasting pan so I can reuse the juices the next day to infuse some extra moisture into the pork for Game Day. Once it cools, I'll just remove the fat from the juices and use the rest.

Anyway, that's the plan for now. Any suggestions anyone might have would be great

Everything you're doing sounds great. Definitely save the juices, that's pork gold. The only thing I might add is to open the foil towards the end to set some bark.

Haven't done pulled pork in a while, looking forward to seeing some pics. Perhaps it will be inspiring.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:26 am
  • StoneCold wrote:
    Everything you're doing sounds great. Definitely save the juices, that's pork gold. The only thing I might add is to open the foil towards the end to set some bark.

Haven't done pulled pork in a while, looking forward to seeing some pics. Perhaps it will be inspiring.

Thanks for that reminder about opening it towards the end for the good bark. I'd read about that and it was in my head as part of the plan, but got left out. Definitely don't want to forget that as that bark is usually my favorite part.

As for pictures, I really need to remember to do that. I'm always so entrenched in what I'm doing, and don't even think about taking pictures.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:37 am
  • Barbequed Salmon?

In my mind barbequing masks a less-desirable fish. Good Salmon should always be baked as a poach in the oven, unless you like salmon jerky. The species is extremely important. You must buy King (Chinook) or Sockeye, Atlantic will do, but requires a keen eye so as not to overcook.

If you simply MUST barbeque it, do the following:

Three must have/secret ingredients:
    1. Mayonnaise
    2. Fresh (not dried) Rosemary
    3. All three main citrus: Oranges, Lemons, Limes.

The dusting is up to personal taste, but I stay away from union powder or any hot spices on a fish. As Lon indicates with B-sauce on racked ribs, that is up to the eater. If anything, I will sprinkle-on a hint of basil. Too much, and you're done.

On a thrashed indoor baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, lay your whole filet skinside down. Spread a fine layer of mayo about 4 tbspns max. Then slice oranges, limes, and lemons 1/8" thick and cover the filet entirely. Pour three to four tbsps. of white cooking wine over the top of the fresh meat and citrus, sprinkle 1/4 cup of minced fresh Rosemary over the top, and slice a cube of butter cube into 10 slices and lay them around the sides, not on the fish. Pour in 1/2 cup of water over the butter, cover lightly with foil and place on the rack, low coals, 375 degrees max, lid closed, uncover at 35 minutes, done in 45-50 minutes or when the center juuuuust turns to pink from the sushi look. Only should be brown where the butter touches the edges. Too many people overcook salmon. The mayo acts like extra fat and adds the twang to cut any fishy taste while enhancing the distinctive salmon flavor.

You can thank me later.
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:23 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:

David, sounds great.

6) Pull the meat

I made one for our fantasy draft party this past Tuesday and did pretty much you state here.

I didn't brine but I used mustard and rub the night before.

I injected a half apple juice half apple cider vinegar right before putting it on the grill. I had never done this before and it definitely made for super moist pulled pork but I could smell the vinegar a little bit which I didn't like. Next time I will inject but maybe with just apple juice or an apple juice whiskey or beer mix. Also, when you inject you have to get the internal temp to 140 within 4 hours to avoid bacteria...with the temp below 250 it was pretty close.

I had the grill temp at about 230-250 until 170 degrees and then I foiled.

The good thing about smoking butt/shoulder for pulled pork is that it is pretty hard to screw it up as long as you cook it to ~200 degrees (I usually go to 205).

And the biggest key to a great pulled pork sandwich is good finely chopped wet coleslaw.
    andyh64000
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:15 pm
  • andyh64000 wrote:
    I made one for our fantasy draft party this past Tuesday and did pretty much you state here.

I didn't brine but I used mustard and rub the night before.

I injected a half apple juice half apple cider vinegar right before putting it on the grill. I had never done this before and it definitely made for super moist pulled pork but I could smell the vinegar a little bit which I didn't like. Next time I will inject but maybe with just apple juice or an apple juice whiskey or beer mix. Also, when you inject you have to get the internal temp to 140 within 4 hours to avoid bacteria...with the temp below 250 it was pretty close.

I had the grill temp at about 230-250 until 170 degrees and then I foiled.

The good thing about smoking butt/shoulder for pulled pork is that it is pretty hard to screw it up as long as you cook it to ~200 degrees (I usually go to 205).

And the biggest key to a great pulled pork sandwich is good finely chopped wet coleslaw.

I'd seen some online suggestions for doing similar types of injections, but I've never injected any meats. The only things that I've thought needed it were poultry (turkey, chicken, etc) but I've found using a brine works just fine, this is why I am considering the brine for this, but I think for this time I'll probably just do the mustard/seasoning rub and put it in the smoker and see what happens. I can always try a brine in the future.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:27 pm
  • That apple juice injection thing sounds interesting Andy.
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:30 pm
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:That apple juice injection thing sounds interesting Andy.

one of these days I'm going to get the stuff I need to do some meat injecting. It is a sound way to introduce moisture and flavor to the meat without the time it takes to brine it. I've just never actually pulled the trigger.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:39 pm

Cooking at 230 with starting temp of 50. 7 lbs bone in.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:40 pm
  • Cooked mostly between 220 and 250 but had dips to 200 and peaks to 265. 6 hours of smoke got it to 150. By then it was 7:30 so I decided to move it inside for the wrapped portion. Put it in the oven at 240 and it took 7.5 more hours to reach 202 where I called it good. Since it was 3 am I wasn't in the mood to wait to pull it so I rewrapped it in foil then wrapped it in a towel and put it in a small cooler til later in the morning so I could get some sleep. It pulled perfectly and was juicy, tender and delicious. It's a lot of time but definitely worth it.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information