Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

BBQ: Grilling and Smoking

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:48 am
  • The Beef Ribs thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=125997

Got me thinking about this, so I figured why not have a summer thread for discussing smoking, grilling and all things BBQ. Pictures of finished foods is a bonus. I currently don't have any pictures myself, but as I do more this summer, I'll take pics and add them here.

In no particular order and not inclusive, this is My Most common foods to grill:

1) Steak

2) Fish (salmon mostly)

3) Burgers (using a variety of ground meats)

3) Hot Dogs / Sausages (I still have never done a nice beer brat, I need to get on that)

4) Veggies (Corn, Bell Peppers, jalapeno peppers)

5) Fruit (peaches, watermelon, and pineapple)

6) Chicken pieces (bone in and boneless)

And in no particular order, and not inclusive, this is my most common foods to smoke:

1) Whole Chicken (and sometimes I'll even smoke bone in chicken quarters or pieces)

2) Prime Rib

3) Brisket

4) Ribs (beef or pork)

5) Salmon (I haven't done this in awhile but am going to do some soom)

6) Pork shoulder (makes great pulled pork)

Feel free to add in your favorites and different techniques you use to get the flavors you want. We can all learn a little something and make our summer bbq just that much better

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Re: BBQ: Grilling and Smoking
Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:51 am
  • What kind of smoker do you have? In the other thread you didn't have nice things to say about it, but it seems to do a lot of good work. :)
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:59 am
  • StoneCold wrote:What kind of smoker do you have? In the other thread you didn't have nice things to say about it, but it seems to do a lot of good work. :)

It literally was the cheapest thing I can find. It was a Brinkmann Charcoal water smoker. They company is bankrupt and it was super cheap (under $40).

I did some reading online and made a few modifications to it, such as adding holes to the charcoal pan, adding a grate for the coals so they sit up a little from the bottom of the pan, and putting the legs to the outside so you can just lift it off the coals for adding more coals as necessary.

It's really nothing special at all, but it does the job. I can't do long cuts of meat, so when I did the brisket, I had to cut it in half and put one on each grate (it's got two).

I also use a dual probe thermometer so I can get accurate temps as I don't care for the temperature gauge, and having the probe next to the meat gives the most accurate reading anyway.

I haven't had a smoker for a few years. I used to have a side barrel smoker which I absolutely loved, but it was heavy and lunky and living in a townhouse with common grounds means needing something I can get in and out easily, so for now, smaller is better.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:38 am
  • I want to buy a smoker but the smell of smoke and meat cooking is one thing that makes my pregnant wife nauseated. So I will have to hold off for 3 more months.

When I do buy one I am leaning towards a Pit Barrel Cooker. Very versatile and you can smoke, grill, and roast in them.

I do, however, fire up the grill whenever I can. Here are a couple recent results:

NY Strip using a dual zone cook. Started on the cool side of the grill and then finished over the coals.

Some nice top sirloins cooking on the grill

Currently I have a nice Weber kettle. Can't really think of a charcoal grill I would rather have than that one.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:45 am
  • Here's one almost identical to the one I used to have....

I really liked this a lot. I could use it as a grill, or I could smoke at relatively high temps, or use the barrel as the sole heat source and have the meat at the far end for a cool smoke. there was not much I couldn't do with it. I kind of miss it. Once I build a little more equity in the townhouse and get my own place, I will have a dedicated backyard space for this type of stuff so I can have whatever I want again.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:46 am
  • drcool wrote:

NY Strip using a dual zone cook. Started on the cool side of the grill and then finished over the coals.

That is how what I call a perfectly cooked steak

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:52 am
  • kidhawk wrote:

That is how what I call a perfectly cooked steak

This is about as close to perfect as I have been able to get. Pretty much no grey band around the outside. The pic makes it look every so slightly more rare than it really was. For these I actually seared the steaks while frozen in a cast iron pan and then finished in the oven. Here is some more info on how I did that: http://completecarnivore.com/can-really ... en-steaks/
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:46 pm
  • drcool wrote:I want to buy a smoker but the smell of smoke and meat cooking is one thing that makes my pregnant wife nauseated. So I will have to hold off for 3 more months.

When I do buy one I am leaning towards a Pit Barrel Cooker. Very versatile and you can smoke, grill, and roast in them.

I do, however, fire up the grill whenever I can. Here are a couple recent results:

Some nice top sirloins cooking on the grill

Currently I have a nice Weber kettle. Can't really think of a charcoal grill I would rather have than that one.

I have been suing the dual zone for steaks and pork chops ever since reading on Meatheads site.

Lots of good info here.

Meathead wrote:The solution is to use two cooking temps, one for the interior and one for the exterior. We will begin by low temp smoke roasting the meat with the lid down and bring it up to about 115°F gently so the meat remains uniform in heat and color throughout. Then we will move it over high heat with the lid up and darken the exterior quickly, flipping often, so it doesn't build up energy and overcook the interior. This method is called the "reverse sear" or "sear in the rear".

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/ste ... teaks.html

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:48 pm
  • Fish are an interesting thing to grill. I mainly grill two types of fish--whole salmon, and tuna filets. Both are absolutely fantastic if done right.

The salmon is best if it's kept whole, with the head and tail still on. Just gutted and cleaned. I stuff the insides with fresh lemon slices and large branches of fresh rosemary. Maybe a little salt and pepper shaken on the inside. Wrap it in tinfoil and grill/smoke it until it's cooked through. It's better to smoke it if you have a grill that serves as a smoker as well. It should come out fall-off-the-bone cooked, but not dry. And as long as it's stuffed with enough lemons and rosemary, the flavor will be fantastic, and yet retain all the salmon flavor that makes it such a desirable type of fish.

The tuna steaks are best done the exact opposite. I like to put a marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Heat the grill super hot, and right before putting the steaks on it, bathe them in the marinade. It only takes a few seconds to sear the outsides of the tuna steaks, leaving the middle still bright red and raw. Ideally, it should be brown, with dark sear marks across it on both sides, and red in the middle. Tuna really shouldn't be over-cooked, as it looses a lot of the flavor and texture that make it taste so good.

My two cents. And my favorite ways of preparing and grilling those fish. Your tastes may vary, but I haven't had any complaints!
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:55 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Fish are an interesting thing to grill. I mainly grill two types of fish--whole salmon, and tuna filets. Both are absolutely fantastic if done right.

The salmon is best if it's kept whole, with the head and tail still on. Just gutted and cleaned. I stuff the insides with fresh lemon slices and large branches of fresh rosemary. Maybe a little salt and pepper shaken on the inside. Wrap it in tinfoil and grill/smoke it until it's cooked through. It's better to smoke it if you have a grill that serves as a smoker as well. It should come out fall-off-the-bone cooked, but not dry. And as long as it's stuffed with enough lemons and rosemary, the flavor will be fantastic, and yet retain all the salmon flavor that makes it such a desirable type of fish.

The tuna steaks are best done the exact opposite. I like to put a marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Heat the grill super hot, and right before putting the steaks on it, bathe them in the marinade. It only takes a few seconds to sear the outsides of the tuna steaks, leaving the middle still bright red and raw. Ideally, it should be brown, with dark sear marks across it on both sides, and red in the middle. Tuna really shouldn't be over-cooked, as it looses a lot of the flavor and texture that make it taste so good.

My two cents. And my favorite ways of preparing and grilling those fish. Your tastes may vary, but I haven't had any complaints!

I don't know how many times I've been to a bbq and they were serving the driest overcooked salmon. When it's done properly, it should continue to be moist and delicious, but too many people just toss it on high heat and cook the hell out of it.

I've only done tuna steaks a few times, but they were pretty easy to grill and didn't take long or a lot of effort to cook and tasted delicious.

I want to cold smoke some salmon this summer. I've done it before, but not for a number of years. With this cheap smoker I just got it will take me a bit fo practice in temperature control, but once I get that down, I'll cure some up and give it a shot.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:01 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:I don't know how many times I've been to a bbq and they were serving the driest overcooked salmon. When it's done properly, it should continue to be moist and delicious, but too many people just toss it on high heat and cook the hell out of it.

That's why you need to wrap it in tinfoil while grilling it. It keeps the juices from escaping, and cooking it in its own juices plus the juice from the lemons inside are what keeps it moist and tender.

I've had bad salmon before too, and it's usually because it's been cooked dry. Good way to ruin a meal right there. Kind of like a well-done steak.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:14 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:I don't know how many times I've been to a bbq and they were serving the driest overcooked salmon. When it's done properly, it should continue to be moist and delicious, but too many people just toss it on high heat and cook the hell out of it.

That's why you need to wrap it in tinfoil while grilling it. It keeps the juices from escaping, and cooking it in its own juices plus the juice from the lemons inside are what keeps it moist and tender.

I've had bad salmon before too, and it's usually because it's been cooked dry. Good way to ruin a meal right there. Kind of like a well-done steak.

Bought one of these a few years back and it's made grilling fillets much easier.

http://www.target.com/p/weber-stainless ... lsrc=aw.ds

I've never tried a whole fish, but you've inspired me to give it go tonight. Salmon is too much for just two, but Whole Foods has had some nice whole fish, can't remember the name, some white fish, that have looked good.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:53 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:I don't know how many times I've been to a bbq and they were serving the driest overcooked salmon. When it's done properly, it should continue to be moist and delicious, but too many people just toss it on high heat and cook the hell out of it.

Bought one of these a few years back and it's made grilling fillets much easier.

http://www.target.com/p/weber-stainless ... lsrc=aw.ds

I've never tried a whole fish, but you've inspired me to give it go tonight. Salmon is too much for just two, but Whole Foods has had some nice whole fish, can't remember the name, some white fish, that have looked good.

I always recommend a temperature gauge for inexperienced salmon (fish) grillers. It's so important to get it off the heat as soon as it reaches temperature (145). Once you've done a couple, it's pretty easy to tell when they are done without a thermometer, but getting them off the heat quickly once they are done is vital. Dry fish is not a good thing.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:16 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:I've never tried a whole fish, but you've inspired me to give it go tonight. Salmon is too much for just two, but Whole Foods has had some nice whole fish, can't remember the name, some white fish, that have looked good.

You can do similar with a salmon filet, as long as you top it with plenty of rosemary branches and sliced lemon. Just make sure you keep it wrapped in tinfoil to keep the juices in, and as has already been mentioned, take care to notice the heat you're cooking it over.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:34 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:Dry fish is not a good thing.

That's what she...Never mind, this isn't the shack. :lol:
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:02 pm
  • You can also spread some Mayo over it on the inside and it will seal in the juices and you don't know the Mayo was there after it's done.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:23 pm
  • I want a "green egg" so bad.

I just can't justify the cost right now.

I currently use a Weber Kettle for most grilling and smoking.
    There usually is only my wife and I, so size isn't an issue, it's big enough for most things.

It's taken some experimenting but I've gotten fairly good at the stuff I cook on it.

I really want a "green egg"

:{)
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:27 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:I want a "green egg" so bad.

There usually is only my wife and I, so size isn't an issue, it's big enough for most things.

It's taken some experimenting but I've gotten fairly good at the stuff I cook on it.

Yeah so you say, I would like to hear her version :)

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:23 pm
  • I deserve that :{)

Should have read before hitting submit.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:26 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:I want a "green egg" so bad.

One of the greatest unintentional That's What She Said quotes in the history of .NET.

Also, I don't see the draw of those Green Eggs. A lot of money for fancy looks.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:01 am

A kamado cooker is definitely on my list. Hard to justify dropping a couple grand on one. You can do some pretty amazing things on those cookers though.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:30 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:I've never tried a whole fish, but you've inspired me to give it go tonight. Salmon is too much for just two, but Whole Foods has had some nice whole fish, can't remember the name, some white fish, that have looked good.

You can do similar with a salmon filet, as long as you top it with plenty of rosemary branches and sliced lemon. Just make sure you keep it wrapped in tinfoil to keep the juices in, and as has already been mentioned, take care to notice the heat you're cooking it over.

We eat salmon 4 or 5 times a month. Usually about 1 pound. Nothing is as temp sensitive as fish. I use the holder I posted up thread and give them, depending on thickness, 3 or 4 minutes a side. I like it still a bit gelatinous in the center.

Timing on a whole fish was the unknown. Cooked a 2.4 pound rock cod stuffed with lemon slices and dill with a touch of garlic powder, salt and pepper. Ended up taking about 20 minutes, a little over half on indirect heat and then directly over the coals to crisp up the skin. Was flaky, moist and and tasty. Hard part was getting it onto a plate and dealing with the bones. I know where the bones are in a salmon, but rock cod is different and bonier. While tasty, was a bit more hassle than I liked.
    Attachments
    RockCod1.jpg
    RockCod1.jpg (215.88 KiB) Viewed 1648 times

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:38 am

I was the same, wanted a BGE for years, but could never justify spending what they cost. This year I finally bought one and it is some of the best value I have ever gotten for my money. I cook on it 4-5 times a week for around 60 meals so far and the worst thing off of it was a prime rib I pulled off 5 degrees to late (or let rest in the cooler 15 minutes too long) and that was still very good.

drcool wrote:
    A kamado cooker is definitely on my list. Hard to justify dropping a couple grand on one. You can do some pretty amazing things on those cookers though.

Couple grand? Only one I have seen that is that much is the XXXL special addition for like $4500 and you could roast a whole pig on (maybe if you host luaus on a weekly basis this would be a good option.) Definitely pricy but you get more for your money than you would a gas grill dollar for dollar.
    Last edited by JustTheTip on Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:50 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:I want a "green egg" so bad.

One of the greatest unintentional That's What She Said quotes in the history of .NET.

Also, I don't see the draw of those Green Eggs. A lot of money for fancy looks.

Yep, I screwed the pooch on that one.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:28 am
  • Here is a picture of how I do my ribs on a Weber Kettle.

These have been on an hour.

I generally use "natural " pork ribs. More cost but they are vegetarian fed, no antibiotics and no added sodium solution.

It's a must to remove any membrane on the back side.
    Many contest here in Texas won't even judge your ribs if it's left on.

I use only the "dry method" NEVER use sauce while cooking. Sauce on plate if desired by eater :{)

I use seasonings to taste/mood at the time.

These I dusted fairly heavily with onion and garlic powder, cayenne and smoked Habanero pepper powder, and some salt.
    Then I covered them with light brown sugar.

Warped them in plastic for a couple hrs before putting on the Webber.
    BTW, I see "smoke" as one of my seasonings, and I use specific wood to taste/ mood, same as the other seasonings.
    Today, I'm using Mesquite.
    Hard to tell in the picture but I use the "snake" or "incense" method.
    My charcoal is in a semi circle (away from meat", I only light one end of the briquets , lay a few chunks of wood over the beginning of the "snake". They end up burning as a stick of incense would. This allows LOW heat for long time.
    I like my ribs to cook @ 230 or so. Never over 250. My Weber has a thermometer that is very accurate.
    The drip pan under the ribs has some pineapple juice in it. I'll also use apple if that's what I have. These ribs will cook 5-6 hours, I keep a little bit of the juice in a squirt bottle, and I spray the ribs 2-3 times over the 5-6 hrs.

I drink beer (go figure) while I cook ribs:{)
    I have wrapped my ribs for the last hour before but I've gotten away from that, IMO it takes away from "the bite" coming off the bone.
    I'm home alone today, these ribs are for me, they will have much more of a "kick" than I would prepare for mixed company.
    I'll post a picture when they are done.

REMEMBER: if you looking, you ain't cookin'
    Control the temperature (with the vents)
    and leave the lid closed.

Agree with my method or not, I guarantee that you would enjoy "my" ribs.

Edit: my wood chunks go on early in the "snake". I like them to have smoke early, and finish without.
    IMO, this gives good smoke flavor, it leaves a nice "smoke ring" but does not over power the other flavors as it does if you finish with heavy smoke.

2nd Edit: this is by no means how ribs have to be cooked. It's how I do them, and this post is only intended to show a Rookie a starting point, or giving the veterans something to consider.
    Cheers :{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:07 am
  • SIDE DISH.

HELLO?

side dishes can make or break your BBQ.

Here is one of my staples, one that you may not have though about but pairs really well with some highly seasoned Ribs/BBQ

I don't have a name for this, guess I'd call them "spiced apples" IDK.

You can adjust per person, I'd use 1 Apple per person, maybe 2 for 3 peeps.

Peel, core, and slice apples as you would for a pie.
    Use a lil common sense, apples that don't hold up to cooking well, should be left a little thicker.

Sauté some good sweet onion, along with a little minced/ crushed garlic. Use butter, not oleo/margarine.
    When the onions get translucent, toss in your sliced apples. When the apples are cooked tender but not falling apart, toss in a cup or so of Dark brown sugar.
    Continue cooking/stirring until the sugar has all dissolved and made a sauce.
    Turn up your heat, pour in a cup or so of your favorite bourbon.
    Cook off the alcohol, remove from heat and toss in a whole stick of butter.
    Stir as it cools away from heat.
    Serve as a warm compote with you ribs.

Sweet and savory, perfect with some good Ribs.
    Do not over cook the apples, you want slices with the edges cooked off.

If your willing to try, you won't be disappointed.

Edit: maybe I should call them "drunk apples"

And BYW, I use MakersMark, IMO it's a bourbon on the sweet side, I think somethin like this would be better than a "peaty or smoky" bourbon.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Bout 1/2 way done.
    Notice the charcoal burning left to right, last wood chunk smoking.
    Light spray of pineapple juice was sprayed at this point.
    Meat just starting to pull away from the bone.
    Many people would pull them at this point, they are not done, far from tender.
    They need time, the low heat prevents over cooking.

Have another beer and be patient:{)

You're not that hungry.
    Go have a couple chips with guacamole. Image
    Time to go shuck the "sweet corn"
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:45 pm
  • Ok.

In a perfect world, I would have liked for these ribs to have had a heavier dose of smoke.
    IMO, I missed the mark by one chunk of Mesquite early on.

Spice was just what I wanted, my lips are on fire and I want another beer.

Adjust to your own taste but if you use a grill/smoker similar to a Weber Kettle, this will get you close, or a starting point.

These ribs were "cooked" to perfection, bite off the bone but clean. Very tender.
    I wanted a touch more smoke.
    With my meal, I drank a BallastPoint Habanero Sculpin.
    Drunk Apples, and some fresh "Sweet Corn" on the cob.
    I'm a happy mofo, wish I could have shared this meal with everyone of you.

Dam, just remembered, I've got to be up at 3:30 AM.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:59 pm
  • I DO have a Big Green Egg... Best purchase I've made IMO. It's the last grill I'll ever buy. Takes a little while to educate yourself on it, but you pick it up pretty fast. At least I did. There is NOTHING you can't cook on it! I bought the Digi-Q probe unit, and then you're set for slow cooking.... Beef briskets and Pork butts at perfectly controlled slow cooks. I've only had it for a year and a half, but I feel I've gotten pretty expert on it. I've got the things that I do most often dialed in perfectly. Every steak I do now is done at 650 to 700 degrees, 2 to 2 1/2 mins a side. The high-temp sear is the secret to everything beef, not including roasts or briskets of course. I do burgers the same way. Just a little burnt on the outside for that massive flavor, but just that perfect pink on the inside. Big Green Egg is WORTH the 2500 bucks I've spent on the unit itself plus all the little extras (that includes the 600 for the stand), of which there are many. I'm most well-known for my famous sweet-hot chicken thighs, but I'm pretty baddass with steaks too. Cooking on a grill is an art that I'm pretty serious about. The sweet-hot chicken recipe is a thing I got serious about after a buddy of mine watched intently while in Hawaii, watching the natives cook it. I took that and improved on it. I used to only do it on those old cast iron hibachi's, but I've adapted to the Egg with much better results. People just RAVE about it when they try it. Gotta have a pretty high tolerance to spicy to take it though. After the sweet, the burn sets in! Oh so good!

Last edited by BlueThunder on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
    "Well, he's what you call 'on the bubble' with Porky-pine pants". Steve Largent, when he used to do color for Seahawks Pre-Season games...

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:56 pm
  • Millennials version of a Bar B Que, maybe it's Generation X

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:36 pm
  • BlueThunder wrote:I DO have a Big Green Egg... Best purchase I've made IMO. It's the last grill I'll ever buy. Takes a little while to educate yourself on it, but you pick it up pretty fast. At least I did. There is NOTHING you can't cook on it! I bought the Digi-Q probe unit, and then you're set for slow cooking.... Beef briskets and Pork butts at perfectly controlled slow cooks. I've only had it for a year and a half, but I feel I've gotten pretty expert on it. I've got the things that I do most often dialed it perfectly. Every steak I do now is done at 650 to 700 degrees, 2 to 2 1/2 mins a side. The high-temp sear is the secret to everything beef, not including roasts or briskets of course. I do burgers the same way. Just a little burnt on the outside for that massive flavor, but just that perfect pink on the inside. Big Green Egg is WORTH the 2500 bucks I've spent on the unit itself plus all the little extras (that includes the 600 for the stand), of which there are many. I'm most well-known for my famous sweet-hot chicken thighs, but I'm pretty baddass with steaks too. Cooking on a grill is an art that I'm pretty serious about. The sweet-hot chicken recipe is a thing I got serious about after a buddy of mine watched intently while in Hawaii, watching the natives cook it. I took that and improved on it. I used to only do it on those old cast iron hibachi's, but I've adapted to the Egg with much better results. People just RAVE about it when they try it. Gotta have a pretty high tolerance to spicy to take it though. After the sweet, the burn sets in! Oh so good!

I was decent with a BBQ before, but the BGE instantly improved my BBQ ability by a lot. This is a New York Strip that just just gone on, the trays underneath are veggies and potatoes that roast under the drippings.

newyourstrip.jpg
    newyourstrip.jpg (87.9 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:55 am
  • We could get into wood chips/chunks too. With the Egg, I only use the BGE brand of lump charcoal. It's oak and hickory, so without even adding chips you always get the smoky flavor. But most of the time, I'll soak chips in water for at least an hour and add them for specific flavors depending on what I'm cooking. With steaks, I'll usually chuck in two or three large, unsoaked mesquite chunks, or sometimes soaked mesquite chips. But always mesquite with beef for me. For chicken, I like either hickory or alder chips, maybe cherry if I'm out of the others. For salmon, which I do fairly often because it's YUMMY... I use alder chips exclusively. If fact, I've got a nice sockeye chillin' in the fridge right now that's going on the egg tonight. I had a little phase where I would buy cedar planks to cook the salmon with, but I've discovered I like it better just slapped right on the cast iron grate, skin side down. That way, the skin gets nice and crispy and you can eat it and it taste awesome! On the plank, the skin is kinda gross, and it usually stays on your plate and fed to the cat. With pork ribs or a pork butt, I like hickory or cherry. You guys agree, or do you have different preferences?
    "Well, he's what you call 'on the bubble' with Porky-pine pants". Steve Largent, when he used to do color for Seahawks Pre-Season games...

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:00 am
  • BlueThunder wrote:We could get into wood chips/chunks too. With the Egg, I only use the BGE brand of lump charcoal. It's oak and hickory, so without even adding chips you always get the smoky flavor. But most of the time, I'll soak chips in water for at least an hour and add them for specific flavors depending on what I'm cooking. With steaks, I'll usually chuck in two or three large, unsoaked mesquite chunks, or sometimes soaked mesquite chips. But always mesquite with beef for me. For chicken, I like either hickory or alder chips, maybe cherry if I'm out of the others. For salmon, which I do fairly often because it's YUMMY... I use alder chips exclusively. If fact, I've got a nice sockeye chillin' in the fridge right now that's going on the egg tonight. I had a little phase where I would buy cedar planks to cook the salmon with, but I've discovered I like it better just slapped right on the cast iron grate, skin side down. That way, the skin gets nice and crispy and you can eat it and it taste awesome! On the plank, the skin is kinda gross, and it usually stays on your plate and fed to the cat. With pork ribs or a pork butt, I like hickory or cherry. You guys agree, or do you have different preferences?

I used the BGE brand lump for my first bag and then switched to Rockwood. For me Rockwood has been a more consistent burn and also generally bigger pieces.

I am still working with smoke wood. Don't use chips on the BGE (I used chips all the time on the gas BBQ), but rather always unsoaked chunks. Haven't settled in on something I use all the time for particular cooks as I like variety. I do find myself using peach wood more and more. It produces a much more subtle flavor.
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:54 pm
  • Like I said above, I use smoke as a seasoning.
    I use diff types of wood according to how they taste to me and those I'm cooking for, same holds true for the amount of smoke.
    Imho people need to learn how each wood tastes, just like you would with any other seasoning.

My 3 favorites are, Mesquite, Hickory and Pecan.
    All very easy to get here in this part of Texas.

My advice, try diff stuff and learn what you like.

Start "light", an under smoked meal is easier to eat than one you think has too much.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:50 am
  • I too like to adjust woods to the type of meat. I have a selection of Mesquite, Hickory, Cherry and Apple at the moment. Pecan is one I've not yet tried. Any recommendations on the perfect meat for Pecan?

I forgot to take any pics this weekend but i didn't do any long cooks either. I kept it pretty simple grilling sausages, hot dogs, burgers and some fresh cod.

Over the 4th of July weekend, I plan to do some smoking and hopefully I'll remember to get some pics to put up here.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:52 am
  • David, I think of Pecan as a "lighter" smoke flavor.
    It is unique IMO.

I tend to interchange it with Hickory, and I generally use them with meats that a person might drink "white" wine with.
    Fish, chicken etc.
    I like the flavor of Pecan smoke but I also like the way it burns, especially in the large cooker I use for bigger parties.
    Pecan is easy to get a "long slow burn" with.

I will say this, I have bought bags of chunks that "claimed" to be Pecan, some of them did not taste or burn like wood that I personally harvested and know was Pecan.
    This may also be the case with other bags of chunked wood that you can purchase. I've not noticed it with other woods but have on more than one occasion with Pecan.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:44 pm

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:12 pm
  • Things are moving fast in this thread. There are some delicious looking grilled a bbq'ed meats being turned out.

PMedic's ribs look fabulous. Your process makes perfect sense to me. Maintain a temp and wait the appropriate amount of time. I use similar coal lighting methods when using both my WSM and my CharGriller. Just light a few to get things started. On the BBQ comp circuit, teams fall into two basic categories. Hot and fast or low and slow. Both turn out absolutely great BBQ and either style can take home the Grand Champion trophy.

For me the Big Green Egg is too expensive for what it does, but that's just for me. I know you can make a wide range of delicious food. Whatever grill/BBQ you use it's more about getting a feel for how it cooks and adapting.

I think as this thread works it's way to an unwieldy number of pages we'll see their are a million ways to make tasty meats. For example I hate parboiling, it's not my thing, but I know their are people that swear by it and their food does not suck.

My cooking project this weekend was to clean my two smokers. Scraped with wire brush, oiled the inside and lit a half bag of kingsford in each and let it burn for 5 plus hours. Walked by several times during the day and it smelled so good even though there was nothing cooking in either one. They are now ready for some summer fun.

I don't cook with kingsford. Yes, I'm charcoal snob. :) My fav is Cowboy Lump, but there are two kinds you will find in stores. One is nothing but scrap, hardwood flooring and it's crap. Burns fast and doesn't smell right. The other is chunks of tree, nice assortment of sizes, smells great and burns for a long time. I have to pick up a bag and feel it figure out which it is. Wish they would just stick with trees.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:47 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:My fav is Cowboy Lump, but there are two kinds you will find in stores. One is nothing but scrap, hardwood flooring and it's crap. Burns fast and doesn't smell right. The other is chunks of tree, nice assortment of sizes, smells great and burns for a long time. I have to pick up a bag and feel it figure out which it is. Wish they would just stick with trees.

I always wondered about this. I had tried lump coal as I'd heard it was better, so I went out and bought a bag of it, and didn't care for how it burned at all. I've been thinking about giving it another shot. Any recommended brand to buy or maybe NOT to buy? Or can you get bad batches from all of them?

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:54 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:My fav is Cowboy Lump, but there are two kinds you will find in stores. One is nothing but scrap, hardwood flooring and it's crap. Burns fast and doesn't smell right. The other is chunks of tree, nice assortment of sizes, smells great and burns for a long time. I have to pick up a bag and feel it figure out which it is. Wish they would just stick with trees.

I always wondered about this. I had tried lump coal as I'd heard it was better, so I went out and bought a bag of it, and didn't care for how it burned at all. I've been thinking about giving it another shot. Any recommended brand to buy or maybe NOT to buy? Or can you get bad batches from all of them?

I've had the best luck with Cowboy (caveat posted above) and Lazzari. The Lazzari is mesquite and can add a pronounced mesquite flavor, which can be a bit too much for me at times. Honestly I'm not sure what kind of wood Cowboy uses. I've googled and couldn't find a clear answer. If it's mesquite it's subtler than Lazzari.

Strange thing about the Cowboy. Last year the local hardware store started stocking 20 pound bags and it was the chunks of tree variety. Early this year they had nothing but the the hardwood scraps. Bag looks the same and you can only tell by feeling. Went in the other day and they had bags of the tree chunks. Shrug. I'm just glad they did.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:04 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:My fav is Cowboy Lump, but there are two kinds you will find in stores. One is nothing but scrap, hardwood flooring and it's crap. Burns fast and doesn't smell right. The other is chunks of tree, nice assortment of sizes, smells great and burns for a long time. I have to pick up a bag and feel it figure out which it is. Wish they would just stick with trees.

I've had the best luck with Cowboy (caveat posted above) and Lazzari. The Lazzari is mesquite and can add a pronounced mesquite flavor, which can be a bit too much for me at times. Honestly I'm not sure what kind of wood Cowboy uses. I've googled and couldn't find a clear answer. If it's mesquite it's subtler than Lazzari.

Strange thing about the Cowboy. Last year the local hardware store started stocking 20 pound bags and it was the chunks of tree variety. Early this year they had nothing but the the hardwood scraps. Bag looks the same and you can only tell by feeling. Went in the other day and they had bags of the tree chunks. Shrug. I'm just glad they did.

I'm guessing the chunks of tree are going to be larger while the scraps are a bit smaller? Just kind of wondering how to gauge it when I shop for it

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:07 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

I'm guessing the chunks of tree are going to be larger while the scraps are a bit smaller? Just kind of wondering how to gauge it when I shop for it

Yes, the scraps will be smaller and when you pick up a bag and shake it it rattles more than the chunks.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:09 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:
    Yes, the scraps will be smaller and when you pick up a bag and shake it it rattles more than the chunks.

Makes sense, because if memory serves me correctly, the bag I bought before had a few larger chunks, but most were smaller than briquets. I didn't care for it at all. After doing a google search though, I recognize the cowboy lump as the brand I bought though.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:54 am
  • I know that I will be doing some grilling and some smoking over this holiday weekend. I'd love to hear what everyone else is grilling/smoking for the holiday weekend. I am making the following (and might add to it if I see something here that inspires me)

Grill:

Hot Dogs
    Hamburgers
    Steaks

Smoke:

Whole Chicken (probably halve it first)
    Pork Spare Ribs
    Pork Country Style Ribs
    Beef Ribs

Now I just need to remember to get some photos this weekend

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:33 am
  • I will be smoking some beef ribs for the first time. Picking them up from the butcher tomorrow.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:59 pm
  • Here is something I do from time to time.

It is labor intensive but I enjoy doing it when I have the time and ingredients. It also can be expensive, depending on what you purchase vs have on hand.

Make your own BBQ sauce.

I start with smoked bones and fat.
    It's hard to find bones in a grocery store but it can be done.
    If you know of a butcher that actually cuts "hanging" beef, become friends with him.

25-30 years ago when I still lived in the PNW and hunted, I wasn't into cooking like I am now but I'd love to try smoking some Deer, Elk or Moose bones for sauce.

Anyway, smoke the Hell out of some bones.
    Neck bones are about the easiest to come by but if you can get your hands on the bones from a "round" or "chuck" those work great. Smoke them for hours literally.
    Don't burn them, smoke them low and slow.
    Smoke some thick fat trimmings along with them but not as long, you want some squishy fat left, not charred crispy chunks.

Boil the bones and fat, add onion, garlic, peppers, seasonings. Cook this stuff down for as long as it takes. (I've never timed it).
    You are making a "smoked" stock.
    Molasses, brown sugars, tomato paste. I like some apple cider vinegar in there too.

I can't tell you an exact recipe, you know what you like.
    Do a lil experimenting, if you get your hands on some big bones, don't be afraid to open them up and have some marrow in your sauce.

It's a bunch of work yes but there is something VERY satisfying about making "your own" sauce.

This is a simple starting point, y'all that know how to cook can do it if you want to.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:27 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:

Makes sense, because if memory serves me correctly, the bag I bought before had a few larger chunks, but most were smaller than briquets. I didn't care for it at all. After doing a google search though, I recognize the cowboy lump as the brand I bought though.

Here is what the good stuff looks like. Nice big chunks.
    Attachments
    cowboy.jpg
    cowboy.jpg (249.21 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:56 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:The Beef Ribs thread:

And in no particular order, and not inclusive, this is my most common foods to smoke:

1) Whole Chicken (and sometimes I'll even smoke bone in chicken quarters or pieces)

2) Prime Rib

3) Brisket

4) Ribs (beef or pork)

Feel free to add in your favorites and different techniques you use to get the flavors you want. We can all learn a little something and make our summer bbq just that much better

I recently got a big green egg and am totally hooked. I am afraid to try prime rib...I have done whole beef tenderloins from Costco twice and both were outstanding (takes a little trimming prep). I am 2 out of 3 on briskets...one was way to dry.

I wanted to do Salmon but the large egg only fits one full sized plank at a time.

I have found that pulled pork is almost foolproof as long as you pay attention to the internal temp.

Do you foil your beef/pork at all? I tried foiling brisket at about 170 and seemed to work pretty well. My dry brisket wasn't foiled.
    andyh64000
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:30 pm
  • andyh64000 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:The Beef Ribs thread:

2) Prime Rib

3) Brisket

4) Ribs (beef or pork)

I recently got a big green egg and am totally hooked. I am afraid to try prime rib...I have done whole beef tenderloins from Costco twice and both were outstanding (takes a little trimming prep). I am 2 out of 3 on briskets...one was way to dry.

I wanted to do Salmon but the large egg only fits one full sized plank at a time.

I have found that pulled pork is almost foolproof as long as you pay attention to the internal temp.

Do you foil your beef/pork at all? I tried foiling brisket at about 170 and seemed to work pretty well. My dry brisket wasn't foiled.

I had pretty good success with briskets years ago when I had my big grill with the smoker attachment, but I tried doing a smaller portion as my new smoker is much smaller, and it just doesn't come out as nice, so that's off my list for now.

As for using foil, I use it commonly for Ribs using the 3-2-1 (or 2-2-1) method...which for those who may not know what those numbers are it's basically SMOKING TIME - WRAPPED IN FOIL TIME - UNWRAPPED FINISHING TIME. I also like to make up a little braising liquid during the foil time, but that's just me. I've done it without the liquid and they still come out great.

With Salmon, if you want to do more, either cut it into steaks if it's not filleted, or if you do have fillets, cut the fillets into individual size portions and cook it using foil. Open grilling of salmon almost always comes out dry and is super easy to overcook. Wrapping them in foil is almost foolproof and you can impart a lot of flavor by trying different combinations of flavors inside the foil wrap.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:52 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Here is something I do from time to time.

It is labor intensive but I enjoy doing it when I have the time and ingredients. It also can be expensive, depending on what you purchase vs have on hand.

Make your own BBQ sauce.

I start with smoked bones and fat.
    It's hard to find bones in a grocery store but it can be done.
    If you know of a butcher that actually cuts "hanging" beef, become friends with him.

25-30 years ago when I still lived in the PNW and hunted, I wasn't into cooking like I am now but I'd love to try smoking some Deer, Elk or Moose bones for sauce.

Anyway, smoke the Hell out of some bones.
    Neck bones are about the easiest to come by but if you can get your hands on the bones from a "round" or "chuck" those work great. Smoke them for hours literally.
    Don't burn them, smoke them low and slow.
    Smoke some thick fat trimmings along with them but not as long, you want some squishy fat left, not charred crispy chunks.

Boil the bones and fat, add onion, garlic, peppers, seasonings. Cook this stuff down for as long as it takes. (I've never timed it).
    You are making a "smoked" stock.
    Molasses, brown sugars, tomato paste. I like some apple cider vinegar in there too.

I can't tell you an exact recipe, you know what you like.
    Do a lil experimenting, if you get your hands on some big bones, don't be afraid to open them up and have some marrow in your sauce.

It's a bunch of work yes but there is something VERY satisfying about making "your own" sauce.

This is a simple starting point, y'all that know how to cook can do it if you want to.

How much do you need? Remember I am heading to N.O. too. And it will be after we get a couple of them if not all 3 by then. I can freeze them bones and toss them in a bag in a cooler and use the bag on the way home. Hunt for moose is after Vegas but before N.O. and bowhunting for them is in September. I shall check the regs for shipping with cargo in tow.

Meow.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information