Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

BBQ: Grilling and Smoking

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: BBQ: Grilling and Smoking
Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:50 am
  • That looks awesome. I have to do one again, though not likely until next spring. Did you make sandwiches or eat it as a side? Was there any coleslaw harmed in the making of this meal? There is some kind of food magic that happens when you put pulled pork on a bun with coleslaw and some bbq sauce.

Nice job.
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:23 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:That looks awesome. I have to do one again, though not likely until next spring. Did you make sandwiches or eat it as a side? Was there any coleslaw harmed in the making of this meal? There is some kind of food magic that happens when you put pulled pork on a bun with coleslaw and some bbq sauce.

Nice job.

There was coleslaw, and brioche buns as well as a range of sauces for those inclined. There was definite eating of the pork without anything though. I had to have a plate when I shredded it in the morning. Saved the sandwich part for halftime of the Seahawks/Dolphins game

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:03 pm
  • ^^^^^

Good job.
    Looks awesome.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Dry ribs I cooked up this weekend. About 7 hours on the Weber kettle at 225 degrees. Dry brined the ribs overnight. Top rack has just black pepper, bottom rack has a pretty standard rub (pepper, paprika, cayenne, mustard, garlic, onion, thyme, oregano, brown sugar, honey powder). Didn't wrap them at all, just let them cook. Turned out great.

Also not pictured are the rib tips which I trimmed off these racks. I mostly experimented with those. I took one and after about 4 hours of smoke and wrapped them in foil with butter and honey. Put them back on for another 90 minutes or so. Delicious.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:10 pm
  • Looks great!
    “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 30, 2017 9:55 am
  • Tis the season for smoking once again (at least in my neck of the woods). I do grill during the winter, but they are just quick cooks like steaks and burgers and such. I gave the smoker a good clean because it collects dust and stuff over the winter (probably mostly the spring) months. I seasoned it as well to get it ready for summer, then I smoked a whole chicken as I'd gotten some on a great deal recently. Went with a simple brine for about 4 hours before splitting the chicken by removing the backbone so it would lay flat, and giving it a good layer of seasoning. Weather was uncooperative as it was breezy and I had heavy rain and sunshine over the course of the few hours it was in the smoker. Still definitely delicious.

Anyone else pull out the smoker or do anything great on the grill recently?

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue May 30, 2017 1:04 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:Tis the season for smoking once again (at least in my neck of the woods). I do grill during the winter, but they are just quick cooks like steaks and burgers and such. I gave the smoker a good clean because it collects dust and stuff over the winter (probably mostly the spring) months. I seasoned it as well to get it ready for summer, then I smoked a whole chicken as I'd gotten some on a great deal recently. Went with a simple brine for about 4 hours before splitting the chicken by removing the backbone so it would lay flat, and giving it a good layer of seasoning. Weather was uncooperative as it was breezy and I had heavy rain and sunshine over the course of the few hours it was in the smoker. Still definitely delicious.

I've got a rack of pork back ribs on as we speak.

I use my grill/smoker all year round.

Ribs are cooked but need another hour or so to get tender.

pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue May 30, 2017 1:11 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:Tis the season for smoking once again (at least in my neck of the woods). I do grill during the winter, but they are just quick cooks like steaks and burgers and such. I gave the smoker a good clean because it collects dust and stuff over the winter (probably mostly the spring) months. I seasoned it as well to get it ready for summer, then I smoked a whole chicken as I'd gotten some on a great deal recently. Went with a simple brine for about 4 hours before splitting the chicken by removing the backbone so it would lay flat, and giving it a good layer of seasoning. Weather was uncooperative as it was breezy and I had heavy rain and sunshine over the course of the few hours it was in the smoker. Still definitely delicious.

That looks delicious.

I do grill year round, but keep my smoking to the summer when it's easier for temperature control. It's a little more work when it's below freezing to do a long smoke and keep the temps regulated properly, but I don't mind the temps for straight grilling.

I do have some ribs in the freezer from a great sale recently....might have to pull those out for this weekend. Yours are making me crave them.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue May 30, 2017 1:34 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:Tis the season for smoking once again (at least in my neck of the woods). I do grill during the winter, but they are just quick cooks like steaks and burgers and such. I gave the smoker a good clean because it collects dust and stuff over the winter (probably mostly the spring) months. I seasoned it as well to get it ready for summer, then I smoked a whole chicken as I'd gotten some on a great deal recently. Went with a simple brine for about 4 hours before splitting the chicken by removing the backbone so it would lay flat, and giving it a good layer of seasoning. Weather was uncooperative as it was breezy and I had heavy rain and sunshine over the course of the few hours it was in the smoker. Still definitely delicious.

That looks tasty. Did a rack on the Chargriller (big enough to do indirect cooking, but not really smoking) on Memorial day, no pics, that was one of the best I've had in a while. I only grill and smoke during the nicer weather cuz I'm a sissy. Been back to grilling for a bit more than a month. Hoping to get my smokers cleaned up and ready to go next weekend.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue May 30, 2017 1:43 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:
    That looks tasty. Did a rack on the Chargriller (big enough to do indirect cooking, but not really smoking) on Memorial day, no pics, that was one of the best I've had in a while. I only grill and smoke during the nicer weather cuz I'm a sissy. Been back to grilling for a bit more than a month. Hoping to get my smokers cleaned up and ready to go next weekend.

I can't go very long without at least grilling a nice steak or something, but I was overly busy this spring, so I'm getting a bit later start with the smoker than I'd anticipated. I'll definitely make up for it. Will probably use the smoker 20+ times between now and freezing temperatures. Weeknights will be for quick grills all summer while the weekend is when I'll get in my smoker use.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I rarely plan my smoking out too much in advance. I watch the stores for sales and find the best deals and let those decide what to smoke next. Sometimes if I'm having people over, I may smoke something in particular that I know the guests want, but when it's just for the family. I go with whatever is the best deal at the time.

I also have found that a lot of the stuff I enjoy the most from the smoker, the wife isn't really into, so I often end up Grilling her a steak or something on the grill and having leftover smoker meat for lunches. That is definitely a perk to having a wife with particular tastes in food.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:27 am
  • kidhawk wrote:

I am in Florida so I have been smoking and grilling all year around. I have been doing a LOT of bacon recently. Brine some pork belly for a week and then smoke for 3-4 hours. Delicious.

A couple weeks back I smoked some leg of lamb and chuck roast. Neither turned out how I had hoped.

Back on Easter I did a couple pork butts and it was easily the best tasting pulled pork I have ever made. I love South Carolina style pulled pork that has a mustard based sauce vs. the vinegar based NC sauce. Both are delicious but I really like how the mustard works with the fattiness of the pork.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:49 am
  • drcool wrote: I have been doing a LOT of bacon recently. Brine some pork belly for a week and then smoke for 3-4 hours. Delicious.

That is awesome. I don't think I've ever really considered making my own bacon, just never really dawned on me to try it I guess. Now that it's on my radar I'm going to have to try this ASAP.

Care to share your recipe? (For the brine mostly, but I'd love to hear your entire process start to finish.)
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:55 am
  • drcool wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

I am in Florida so I have been smoking and grilling all year around. I have been doing a LOT of bacon recently. Brine some pork belly for a week and then smoke for 3-4 hours. Delicious.

A couple weeks back I smoked some leg of lamb and chuck roast. Neither turned out how I had hoped.

Back on Easter I did a couple pork butts and it was easily the best tasting pulled pork I have ever made. I love South Carolina style pulled pork that has a mustard based sauce vs. the vinegar based NC sauce. Both are delicious but I really like how the mustard works with the fattiness of the pork.

I'm sure I could probably smoke meats in the winter (and I did do a turkey a few years back, but I just don't enjoy it as much as I do when the weather is a bit more palatable. It's one of the few things I don't like about living here. It's just not quite enough to make me want to move.

pmed inspired me to do some pork ribs this weekend. I'm hoping that I can find a nice rib roast on sale for father's day for a nice prime rib in the smoker. Those are always one of my favorite things to come out of my smoker.

Would definitely be interested in your bacon technique, from the cut of meat to your brine to the type of wood you smoke it with. That i s something I've never really thought about before, but I love bacon and would love to be able to pull off some of that smokey deliciousness at home.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:49 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    drcool wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

I'm sure I could probably smoke meats in the winter (and I did do a turkey a few years back, but I just don't enjoy it as much as I do when the weather is a bit more palatable. It's one of the few things I don't like about living here. It's just not quite enough to make me want to move.

pmed inspired me to do some pork ribs this weekend. I'm hoping that I can find a nice rib roast on sale for father's day for a nice prime rib in the smoker. Those are always one of my favorite things to come out of my smoker.

Would definitely be interested in your bacon technique, from the cut of meat to your brine to the type of wood you smoke it with. That i s something I've never really thought about before, but I love bacon and would love to be able to pull off some of that smokey deliciousness at home.

A friend of mine has been doing bacon for about 3 years now using local pork bellies in his area of Arizona.

A friend used the RED GREEN method of putting together a smoker for smoking salmon or other foods in the fairbanks area. Was interesting seeing it in his area when I was up there about 15 years ago. Foam external and put the smokers inside the foam covering. Then light them up and see what happens...dont forget the duct tape. LOL
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:43 am
  • I haven't forgotten about you guys. I will post my bacon recipe and method later this evening for you.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:26 am
  • Just got a new pellet smoker last week, went with the Camp Chef Smokepro DXL. I broke it in with a tri tip and while I over did it a little it was still very moist and tender. I went with some pellets for Cabelas that seemed to work just fine but can anyone give me a suggestion as far as the best pellets go? From what I've read there are definitely some brands that are better then others.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:25 am
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:A friend used the RED GREEN method of putting together a smoker for smoking salmon or other foods in the fairbanks area. Was interesting seeing it in his area when I was up there about 15 years ago. Foam external and put the smokers inside the foam covering. Then light them up and see what happens...dont forget the duct tape. LOL

I have seen some interesting home-made smokers over the years here. I had an uncle who had built an entire smoking shed that he used primarily to smoke fish. He basically built a shed with a wood burning unit outside and piped the smoke into the shed. Made some amazing smoked salmon that way.

I've also seen smokers made from everything from old 50 gallon drum barres to 50 year old refrigerators. None of them were pretty but every single one of them did the job they were built for.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:57 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:A friend used the RED GREEN method of putting together a smoker for smoking salmon or other foods in the fairbanks area. Was interesting seeing it in his area when I was up there about 15 years ago. Foam external and put the smokers inside the foam covering. Then light them up and see what happens...dont forget the duct tape. LOL

I have seen some interesting home-made smokers over the years here. I had an uncle who had built an entire smoking shed that he used primarily to smoke fish. He basically built a shed with a wood burning unit outside and piped the smoke into the shed. Made some amazing smoked salmon that way.

I've also seen smokers made from everything from old 50 gallon drum barres to 50 year old refrigerators. None of them were pretty but every single one of them did the job they were built for.

Hands down, the best smoked Trout and Salmon I've ever eaten, came out of and old refrigerator that was connected to a fire pit in the ground via an old stove pipe.
    Almost no heat, only cold smoke.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:15 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:A friend used the RED GREEN method of putting together a smoker for smoking salmon or other foods in the fairbanks area. Was interesting seeing it in his area when I was up there about 15 years ago. Foam external and put the smokers inside the foam covering. Then light them up and see what happens...dont forget the duct tape. LOL

Hands down, the best smoked Trout and Salmon I've ever eaten, came out of and old refrigerator that was connected to a fire pit in the ground via an old stove pipe.
    Almost no heat, only cold smoke.

Hmmm...dig a pit for smoke....dig a pit for freezer that is no longer usable....dig a drainage..or .....nevermind. :P
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:44 pm
  • OK, here is a rundown of how I make my own bacon: http://completecarnivore.com/make-homemade-bacon/. Two simple steps: Cure the pork belly, smoke the pork belly.

I hot smoke it as opposed to cold smoking it. Cold smoking bacon is a totally different process with different curing needed. One of these days I will build a cold smoking set up but I do all my bacon on my Weber Kettle currently.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:36 am
  • drcool wrote:OK, here is a rundown of how I make my own bacon: http://completecarnivore.com/make-homemade-bacon/. Two simple steps: Cure the pork belly, smoke the pork belly.

I hot smoke it as opposed to cold smoking it. Cold smoking bacon is a totally different process with different curing needed. One of these days I will build a cold smoking set up but I do all my bacon on my Weber Kettle currently.

Nice write-up. I'll definitely have to give that a go sometime.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:23 pm

The next submarine in Kitsap's fleet won't be patrolling the Puget Sound, but it will cook you a hamburger.

A submarine-shaped grill — dubbed the USS Olympic — built by welding students at Olympic College is the first in a fleet of high-powered barbecue machines that will help feed veterans in Kitsap.

The project was spearheaded by Louis Robledo, a Navy veteran and welding student who wanted to raise more money for the local Student Veterans of America chapter.

"I figured, hey, why not build barbecue grills?" Robledo said.

Local veterans groups pitched in to help fund the project. The USS Olympic will be donated to OC's veterans center, but Robledo and company have four additional barbecues in the works.

A team of students from multiple disciplines came together to build the cooker. Robledo pulled the idea from a Facebook post and turned his hasty scribbles over to fellow welding students Alex Pierce and Scott Vance, who drew up a set of official blueprints.

Getting the design on paper was the easy part.

"Logistically, it was a nightmare," Robledo laughed.

To keep expenses down, students used old propane tanks for the subs' fuselage. The tanks had to be drained, cut open, scrubbed and blasted with sand before they could be worked on by students.

The team added a realistic smoke stack and propeller built by Bremerton-based SAFE Boats to complete the look. Robledo hopes to have the first two grills completely finished next week.

"(OC's veteran center) does a lot of grilling, for student events we're usually the one manning the grill," said Deena Vanderhye, a Navy veteran and psychology student who worked on the project.

"What better way than to do a grill that looks like a submarine?"

But for Robledo, the project was also a way to give back. In April 2015, Robledo — who served a tour about the fast combat support ship USS Sacremento in the Persian Gulf in the late 1990s — was diagnosed with stage three lymphoma.

After surgery that removed a golf-ball sized tumor from his neck, Robledo was homebound for six months while he underwent chemotherapy. During that time, he said, students and staff from the veterans center called him every day to check in.

"They were my support, they were my only friends," he said. "That made me more determined to get this done."

http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/edu ... 366820001/
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:25 pm
  • Talking about BBQing... I just looked up "tailgating" at the Clink on google. As an Australian, I was staggered to see there is no alcohol, or even glass containers, allowed! There would be a freaking RIOT here, if such restrictions were implemented at Adelaide Oval, where Adelaide's two teams in the national football competition (AFL) play.

Of course I realise different countries have different ways of doing things. Americans in general were shocked we have "bottlos" - drive-through booze shops. They seemed to associate it with drink driving, in some way. IIRC they have them in Nevada, but I forgot to find out when I was in Vegas, and didn't see one. Yet of course they have drive-through weddings! Actually, we don't have drive-through banks here, and I thought they were a great idea.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:22 pm
  • It's been a number of years since I spent time in the south but when I did it was the Georgia Alabama area and drive thru liquor stores were prevalent.

The thing about the usa and this goes for tailgating and liquor stores and many other things....laws are often different from state to state and even from city to city.

As for the subject of the thread....I just picked up a 5 lb ribeye roast for prime rib tomorrow (father's day). What's everyone else grilling or smoking for Father's day?

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:31 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:Talking about BBQing... I just looked up "tailgating" at the Clink on google. As an Australian, I was staggered to see there is no alcohol, or even glass containers, allowed! There would be a freaking RIOT here, if such restrictions were implemented at Adelaide Oval, where Adelaide's two teams in the national football competition (AFL) play.

Of course I realise different countries have different ways of doing things. Americans in general were shocked we have "bottlos" - drive-through booze shops. They seemed to associate it with drink driving, in some way. IIRC they have them in Nevada, but I forgot to find out when I was in Vegas, and didn't see one. Yet of course they have drive-through weddings! Actually, we don't have drive-through banks here, and I thought they were a great idea.

Wyoming has drive thru liquor stores. During the winter they kinda want to keep the vehicle running so have the McDonalds windows idea drive thru. We had the Beer Barn in Biloxi Mississississisippi where we could get beer and take it down to the beach as it was right next to the beach.

To the OP....no grilling today, but maybe tomorrow. May take out some Elkburger and do some up.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:51 pm
  • In my house I do the smoking/BBQ, and have no plans to cook tomorrow.

I'll be headed to Whataburger if nobody steps up to the plate.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:30 am
  • kidhawk wrote:As for the subject of the thread....I just picked up a 5 lb ribeye roast for prime rib tomorrow (father's day). What's everyone else grilling or smoking for Father's day?

I smoked some grass fed beef ribs. Since they were grass fed they weren't near as fatty and juicy as regular beef ribs but they were still delicious.

Starting on the top left: raw ribs, after 5 hours on the smoker before wrapping, the finished ribs, and what they looked like when I cut them. The picture of the cut, finished ribs makes them look drier than they were. They were definitely juicy and tender but not drip down your chin juicy you usually get from plate ribs. Great bark on these.

Rubbed with salt and pepper, smoked over oak at 250 for about 9 hours. Since I knew moisture could be a problem I wrapped them in butcher paper after about 5 hours.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:35 am
  • Those ribs look great...especially that bark on the outside. My Prime Rib took about 4.5 hours to get to 130 and it came out absolutely perfect. One thing I liked about this one especially was the cut was a smaller cut and it was equal thickness from end to end, so there wasn't a bit of it that was overcooked at all. It was all perfectly medium rare. Of course the other bonus is a bit of a shorter cook time than the larger bone in ribeye roasts. This one was actually 4.5 lbs including the bone, but it was more than enough for my wife, my almost 2 year old and myself. Even had enough left over for a nice meaty sandwich for lunch today. BTW, I apologize for the lack of pictures. I'm horrible at remembering to take pictures as I'm prepping and cooking. Suffice it so say that the exterior looked very much like the outside of your ribs, only with a lot more meat attached.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:40 am
  • I have never done a prime rib on the grill. That is definitely on my list.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:04 am
  • drcool wrote:I have never done a prime rib on the grill. That is definitely on my list.

It's simple and amazingly delicious. I've done it with varying seasonings, so I always just say to taste, and obviously the better quality meat is always a bonus, but mine was a simple grocery store cut. They had the Ribeye steaks on sale, so I just asked them to cut me off a roast at about 4 - 5 pounds, but in this case size only matters if you are feeding more people. Sometimes I cut the ribs off and cook them separately, but this time I cooked it with the bones on. I can't say 100% that it's the reason why, but when I do the ribs still on, it's almost always a better roast. I did have the butcher cut through the ribs and just leave them barely attached and tie them to the roast. This made for easy removal at the end. As far as prep, all I did was put some oil on the meat, then put a decent amount of salt and usually just some fresh ground pepper, but this time I thought I'd try some McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning. I used a mix of Cherry and Hickory wood for the smoke flavor. I'd say it got heavy smoke for about 1/3 of the cooking time and light smoke for the remainder.

One of the things I love about smoking is all the variables that can be adjusted by each person to come up with some truly unique flavors all from similar products. I look forward to seeing how it goes for you.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:12 pm
  • drcool wrote:I want to buy a smoker but the smell of smoke and meat cooking is one thing that makes my pregnant wife nauseated. So I will have to hold off for 3 more months.

When I do buy one I am leaning towards a Pit Barrel Cooker. Very versatile and you can smoke, grill, and roast in them.

I do, however, fire up the grill whenever I can. Here are a couple recent results:

NY Strip using a dual zone cook. Started on the cool side of the grill and then finished over the coals.

Some nice top sirloins cooking on the grill

Currently I have a nice Weber kettle. Can't really think of a charcoal grill I would rather have than that one.

I own a PBC and love it.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:14 am
  • There should be a US Surgeon General warning that this thread is dangerous to read when you're very hungry.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:45 pm
  • Have to brag...I made the perfect Brisket a couple of weeks ago :). Brisket's a PITA (for me anyway)...I have never made one that wasn't edible but this was the first time I totally knocked it out of the park.

I changed my routine a little for this one. Started with a USDA Prime full packer from Costco which I trimmed (but not as much as normal). I smoked it until 165 then wrapped to 180 then unwrapped to 190 then wrapped again to 202. First wrap I added 1/2 a cup of 50/50 mix of Washington Malbec and Worcestershire and the second wrap I just added a little more Malbec. The front half (Brisket flat) cut into perfect tender slices and the back half pulled into scrumptious pulled beef. I used Apple Wood smoke and an apple cider/vinegar mix in the drip pan. It took about 12 hours and seven beers.
    Attachments
    19420574_10155276809305619_1387806836612996561_n.jpg
    19420574_10155276809305619_1387806836612996561_n.jpg (97.54 KiB) Viewed 292 times
    andyh64000
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:14 pm
  • Buying a traeger Tex elite from a buddy this week. I might need some starter advice in the near future!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:24 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:Buying a traeger Tex elite from a buddy this week. I might need some starter advice in the near future!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I can't offer any specific advice on the traeger line, but a few tips to start you off.

1) one of the most important tools in smoking is temperature control. I always recommend having the best remote thermometer you can comfortably afford. It should be able to track internal meat temps as well as monitor cooking temps. Also make sure it has a reasonable range so you can take it with you so you don't need to sit right by the smoker all day.

2) don't be afraid to try different techniques, different flavors and different cuts of meat. You can find that some may not work put well one way but taste great another. There's a lot of individuality in smoking foods so don't be shy about adding unique flavors

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:38 am
  • These are no foil ribs. I usually do a 2-1.5-1.5hr. The 1.5 in the middle was in foil. The original purpose of the foil for me was to reduce the smokiness of the ribs. My first attempts were on an offset and I really didn't know what I was doing with proper fire management and hence created way too much smoke, which I didn't like, and remedied by foiling in the middle. It worked and created great ribs, but it never developed the bark I wanted and often would over cook the ribs and they were to fall off the bone. Still delicious, but no bark. I now use a Webber Bullet and can create a fire that has almost no smoke. So I decided to give no foil a shot. It worked great. Not to smokey and a nice bark. My only issue with these is the bluebbery sauce I was using as a mop got a bit dark, almost burnt, but still tasty. Those sugars have to be watched closely and will use less next time.
    Attachments
    RibsNoFoilSmall.jpg
    RibsNoFoilSmall.jpg (251.84 KiB) Viewed 221 times

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:50 am
  • StoneCold wrote:These are no foil ribs. I usually do a 2-1.5-1.5hr. The 1.5 in the middle was in foil. The original purpose of the foil for me was to reduce the smokiness of the ribs. My first attempts were on an offset and I really didn't know what I was doing with proper fire management and hence created way too much smoke, which I didn't like, and remedied by foiling in the middle. It worked and created great ribs, but it never developed the bark I wanted and often would over cook the ribs and they were to fall off the bone. Still delicious, but no bark. I now use a Webber Bullet and can create a fire that has almost no smoke. So I decided to give no foil a shot. It worked great. Not to smokey and a nice bark. My only issue with these is the bluebbery sauce I was using as a mop got a bit dark, almost burnt, but still tasty. Those sugars have to be watched closely and will use less next time.

Sugars are definitely a dangerous ingredient when smoking / grilling. They can turn from delicious to that bitter taste that nobody wants without any real "notice". I try to avoid using sugars in sauces if I put them on during the cook and for ribs, I usually just use a dry rub during the cook and sauce on the side. The vast majority of sauces on the market have sugars in them, so the best way for sauces (IMO) is to create them yourself so you can control the ingredients.

Sadly I haven't been able to find the time to run my smoker very many times this summer. I've still been grilling about 5 times per week, but I am missing my smoked meats.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:25 am
  • Here are a couple recent entries from me:

Beef ribs - probably my favorite cut to smoke. Just a heavy salt and pepper rub and about 8 hours on the cooker with some oak smoke.

South Carolina pulled pork. Big 11 pound butt slathered in mustard and then a dry mustard based rub finished with some homemade Carolina Gold sauce. Took about 16 hours to cook this one and then 3 hours resting in the cooler.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:30 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:These are no foil ribs. I usually do a 2-1.5-1.5hr. The 1.5 in the middle was in foil. The original purpose of the foil for me was to reduce the smokiness of the ribs. My first attempts were on an offset and I really didn't know what I was doing with proper fire management and hence created way too much smoke, which I didn't like, and remedied by foiling in the middle. It worked and created great ribs, but it never developed the bark I wanted and often would over cook the ribs and they were to fall off the bone. Still delicious, but no bark. I now use a Webber Bullet and can create a fire that has almost no smoke. So I decided to give no foil a shot. It worked great. Not to smokey and a nice bark. My only issue with these is the bluebbery sauce I was using as a mop got a bit dark, almost burnt, but still tasty. Those sugars have to be watched closely and will use less next time.

Sugars are definitely a dangerous ingredient when smoking / grilling. They can turn from delicious to that bitter taste that nobody wants without any real "notice". I try to avoid using sugars in sauces if I put them on during the cook and for ribs, I usually just use a dry rub during the cook and sauce on the side. The vast majority of sauces on the market have sugars in them, so the best way for sauces (IMO) is to create them yourself so you can control the ingredients.

Sadly I haven't been able to find the time to run my smoker very many times this summer. I've still been grilling about 5 times per week, but I am missing my smoked meats.

The blueberry sauce is a home concoction, no extra sugar just from the fruit. My rub (also home concoction) does have sugar in it. I use turbinado which is supposed to have a higher burn temp. Haven't noticed the blackening when I don't use the blueberry sauce.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:57 am
  • StoneCold wrote:The blueberry sauce is a home concoction, no extra sugar just from the fruit. My rub (also home concoction) does have sugar in it. I use turbinado which is supposed to have a higher burn temp. Haven't noticed the blackening when I don't use the blueberry sauce.

That makes sense. Berries are generally higher in sugars. A small amount of natural sugar is unlikely to cause the bitter taste and can give a nice look and flavor to the food, it's just an ingredient that needs to be used sparingly when dealing with the grill/smoker, as I'm sure you've figured out.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

BBQ: Grilling and Smoking
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:47 pm
  • Pork Chops.

I like them and we eat them 3-4 times a month.

Tonight I grilled a couple.

I started with two premium chops. All natural ones, center cut lions. (Pork T-Bone, if you will).
    They were on sale for $2.99 lb. I had these cut @1 1/4 inch thick.
    I fast seared them over charcoal and seasoned Mesquite chucks, probably close to 650-700 degrees.

I moved them off of the fire and finished with indirect heat at about 400.

I purchased this sauce, I've used it before but this time I "doctored" it.

I chopped 1/2 of a small sweet onion, 1/2 of a fat Habanero pepper, crushed 3 cloves of garlic, sautéed that till tender in 1/2 stick butter. I then added the bottle of store bought sauce and about 1/8 cup of high quality soy sauce. This mixture simmered for about 3 hours until it reduced and became thick again.
    This sauce got slathered on the chops as they finished cooking (about 25 mins) just over 400 degrees.
    I was very careful to not let the sauce char/ burn.

My sides were what I call "home fries"
    And some locally grow "sweet" corn on the cob.

I drank one of my favorite "local" IPAs with the meal.

Overall, it's was an enjoyable meal.
    Next time I'll use a little more pepper in my sauce.
    I'd have liked a little more "kick"

Edit:
    BTW, I understand that plating/appearance means a lot when cooking, and this isn't the "best" looking plate.
    Don't judge my book by its cover.
    This was a decent meal.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:14 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Pork Chops.

I like them and we eat them 3-4 times a month.

Tonight I grilled a couple.

I started with two premium chops. All natural ones, center cut lions. (Pork T-Bone, if you will).
    They were on sale for $2.99 lb. I had these cut @1 1/4 inch thick.
    I fast seared them over charcoal and seasoned Mesquite chucks, probably close to 650-700 degrees.

I moved them off of the fire and finished with indirect heat at about 400.

I purchased this sauce, I've used it before but this time I "doctored" it.

I chopped 1/2 of a small sweet onion, 1/2 of a fat Habanero pepper, crushed 3 cloves of garlic, sautéed that till tender in 1/2 stick butter. I then added the bottle of store bought sauce and about 1/8 cup of high quality soy sauce. This mixture simmered for about 3 hours until it reduced and became thick again.
    This sauce got slathered on the chops as they finished cooking (about 25 mins) just over 400 degrees.
    I was very careful to not let the sauce char/ burn.

My sides were what I call "home fries"
    And some locally grow "sweet" corn on the cob.

I drank one of my favorite "local" IPAs with the meal.

Edit:
    BTW, I understand that plating/appearance means a lot when cooking, and this isn't the "best" looking plate.
    This was a decent meal.

You are correct, plating appearance is important, the problem is that there is food on that plate.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:56 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:Pork Chops.

Edit:
    This was a decent meal.

I'd hit that.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:49 pm
  • I've been living on 1,100 calories a day for six months.

Worse, I'm on the "my wife had cancer and then broke her arm in 5 places and we've had 40k in hospital bills in one year" budget, eating stuff like egg whites and un-buttered rye toast for breakfast and canned tuna and carrots, celery and spinach for lunch, and a chicken breast and asparagus for dinner.

Then I stumbled on this thread... :cry:
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:35 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information