Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

New Netflix Series: Stranger Things

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
New Netflix Series: Stranger Things
Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:23 am
  • Another really good show just started, this time it's a Netflix original, Stranger Things. Watched the first few episodes last night and I can say it is really good. It has a real 1980's feel for it, and reminds me a bit of E.T. and The Goonies. I'm not a big fan of most Netflix shows, but this one I like.

Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Re: New Netflix Series: Stranger Things
Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:03 pm
  • They kind of nailed the whole 80s thing. Definitely starts off with that ET/Goonies feel. So far so good.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:58 pm
  • Loved it! You can taste the influences palpably but it does its own thing.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:42 am
  • I like it so far. Since it takes place in the early 80's there is that vibe, of course. I think it's much darker and creepier that Goonies for sure. I am only on episode 3 right now.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:14 am
  • Not normally my thing but it's really good so far.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:24 pm
  • Just finished watching. Awesome show. They did a really good job with the whole 80s vibe. Kind of dark at times, but really well done. Hope there is a second season.
    86Hawk
    NET Starter

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:12 pm
  • I really like it. I'm about half way through and I'm not gonna get to watch tonight but I keep thinking about it haha. It's not flawless, I've definitely got some issues with some of the writing and acting, the cgi isn't great, but the overall story, setting and feel are super enjoyable to me. Love the music too.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:16 pm
  • I'm half way through and this might be the best series I've gone through in a while. Very well done so far.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:32 pm
  • I watched the entire series in like 3 days. My overall conclusion is that it is a really well done show. Good but not great. Definitely one of Netflix's better series. Probably my second favorite after Orange Is The New Black. They did a great job at hitting the whole 80's vibe. I don't know what it is about that 80's music, but I always enjoy it every time I hear it in movies.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:47 pm
  • In the opening scene when the boy ditches his bike and runs home, it only takes about 10 seconds. If he's
    been living that close to the secret gov't facility, shouldn't have something weird happened before this?

Of course I have no idea, maybe things just now got weird. But I do enjoy the show.

Like Zeb said, good music, and soundtrack. Having a good soundtrack really enhances these shows,
    for me at least. I didn't watch the credits, but some of grooves reminded me of Jan Hammer.
    enjoy the ride
    HomerJHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:54 pm
  • This is the first TV show in a while that I might try watching. I just hope it doesn't let me down like the rest (ahem, Lost)
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:31 am
  • If it does blame all others and forget my part in this.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:29 pm
  • Really enjoyed the season. Will definitely watch season 2.

That fat kid is hilarious.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:07 pm
  • Great fun show. Thanks for the heads up.
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:12 pm
  • Finally got a chance to watch the last episode today. Wonderful. Really hope they're able to do it justice with a follow-up season.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:12 pm
  • Finished it in 2 nights, had to pry myself away fro the tv at 1:30 am the first night. Up there with Firefly and True Detective for favorite single seasons of TV ever.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:43 am
  • I really enjoyed the show. Like another said, I found myself thinking about it throughout the day. I hope they do a new storyline for season 2 as I believe the season one finale was a perfect way to end the story.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:43 am
  • Great show, the Duffer Brothers absolutely nailed the vibe and nuances of the great 80's movies like E.T., Goonies, Close Encounters, etc. All the tropes were there.

But IMO what made these types of 80's movies great, and Stranger Things did it perfectly..............the kids look like kids, not perfect little Disney models like movies today. We identified with the Stand By Me Kids, Elliot from E.T. and the kids from The Goonies cause they looked like us. Imperfect, vulnerable, scared, angst riddled.

Good stuff, really well done.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:57 pm
  • I absolutely loved it!
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:Last year is the last time we see the Patriots in the Superbowl for a long time.
    original poster
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:27 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Great show, the Duffer Brothers absolutely nailed the vibe and nuances of the great 80's movies like E.T., Goonies, Close Encounters, etc. All the tropes were there.

But IMO what made these types of 80's movies great, and Stranger Things did it perfectly..............the kids look like kids, not perfect little Disney models like movies today. We identified with the Stand By Me Kids, Elliot from E.T. and the kids from The Goonies cause they looked like us. Imperfect, vulnerable, scared, angst riddled.

Apparently the kids in real life are the same age as the characters they play, instead of being 5 years older and caked with make up.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:29 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Great show, the Duffer Brothers absolutely nailed the vibe and nuances of the great 80's movies like E.T., Goonies, Close Encounters, etc. All the tropes were there.

Completely agree, well said.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:20 pm
  • The actress that plays Eleven steals the show. Good to see Winona back too. One of my teenage crushes from Heathers and Beetlejuice.
    HawkDaHouse
    NET Rookie

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:45 am
  • Absolutely pumped for 2017.

JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:00 am
  • This makes me think, or at least gives me a little hope, that they had more story already planned or thought about. Which increases the likelihood that it'll live up to season one, IMO.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:06 am

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:13 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:This makes me think, or at least gives me a little hope, that they had more story already planned or thought about. Which increases the likelihood that it'll live up to season one, IMO.

The Duffer Brothers have said in interviews that season one was based off a roughly 30 page document they had created about the Upside Down. It's basically their source material and they only used a portion of it, which is why they can progress so quickly. Also, the words/titles that show up in the trailer are figured to be the names of each episode/chapter in season two.

Edit: Here is the original story I had read on it: http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/strange ... 201816664/

And here are the two Q&As that give us the best info :)

Do you see the government or science conspiracy angle as a long-term mystery for the show?

Ross: There’s a lot there we don’t know or understand. Even with the Upside Down, we have a 30-page document that is pretty intricate in terms of what it all means, and where this monster actually came from, and why aren’t there more monsters — we have all this stuff that we just didn’t have time for, or we didn’t feel like we needed to get into in season one, because of the main tension of Will. We have that whole other world that we haven’t fully explored in this season, and that was very purposeful.

As you head into future seasons, have you thought about how much of that 30-page document you want to reveal and explore?

Ross: We leave these dangling threads at the end. If people respond to this show and we get to continue this story — we had those initial discussions of where we might go with it. If there was going to be a season two, we would reveal more of that 30 page document, but we’d still want to keep it from the point of view of our original characters.
    Last edited by JGfromtheNW on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:22 am
  • Oh ok. That's cool. Good info. Thanks.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:30 pm
  • Attachments
    seahawks-net.png
    seahawks-net.png (126.94 KiB) Viewed 811 times
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:42 pm
  • That's tight!
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
  • This is my new favorite thing.

Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:50 am
  • That was a great series. I loved pretty much every minute.

My one little gripe is I wish for season 2 they would start with a fresh story and new characters. It would be cool to have each season as a standalone retro-themed sci-fi series, rather than trying to stretch the original story into more seasons.
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:57 pm
  • Agree with the above. Would like the new season to be fresh kind of like the twilight zone.

It could be either, the series was wrapped up ina way that it would have made a great stand alone season but also finished in an unsettling way with the sink scene and other stuff that is left to the mind and creates doubt that allows for a second season.

The kid with the lisp was awesome!
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:57 pm
  • minormillikin wrote:That was a great series. I loved pretty much every minute.

I did, too. I was also not insulted by the obvious homage(s), because - as was noted upthread - ST is enough of its own thing to matter.

I'm also definitely copping the OST LP.

minormillikin wrote:My one little gripe is I wish for season 2 they would start with a fresh story and new characters. It would be cool to have each season as a standalone retro-themed sci-fi series, rather than trying to stretch the original story into more seasons.

I would normally agree, but it's extraordinarily well-cast. And if S2 is also only 8 episodes, it's only a mini-series, really. It shouldn't wear on the viewer all that much.
    Seahawks fan since Topps 1985.
    Our Man in Chicago
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:10 pm
  • Oh man, that teaser. Caught me completely off guard with the fake commercial. I thought it was going to be some Kellogg's thing. Amazing tie-in with the Ghostbusters phenomenon as well, which would have happened just months after the events from season 1.

253hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:30 am
  • 253hawk wrote:Oh man, that teaser. Caught me completely off guard with the fake commercial. I thought it was going to be some Kellogg's thing. Amazing tie-in with the Ghostbusters phenomenon as well, which would have happened just months after the events from season 1.

Please stop. I don't think I can nerd out any harder this early on a Monday.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:01 pm
  • Halloween???? like 8 months away....way too long!
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:20 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Halloween???? like 8 months away....way too long!

I'm thinking the same thing. Why advertise for something that's 8 months away? That just pisses people off.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:30 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:Halloween???? like 8 months away....way too long!

I'm thinking the same thing. Why advertise for something that's 8 months away? That just pisses people off.

Early departure on the Hype Train.

Honestly can't wait. 8 months really isn't that long considering the first season came out in July 2016. I'd rather they take their time putting this season together rather than trying to pump it out in under a year. IIRC we're also going to be getting 9 chapters this time around.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:03 pm
  • Early because 100 million+ people to advertise to for a paltry $5 million as opposed to...uh...I can't even think of very many other Netflix ads I've seen on TV, but I don't watch much regular network programming so maybe it's just me. I don't even subscribe to Netflix. :common069:
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:37 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information