Westworld

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Westworld
Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:07 am
  • So, if anyone hasn't seen the pilot, make an hour out of your day to check it out.

Johnathan Nolan does a great job structuring stories. I'll be upfront that I'm a huge fan. This is no different. His writing continues to grow from chops that were already worlds ahead of most.

It's loosely based on Crichton's movie made in the 70's but has changed the landscape and relationships with their dynamics in a very interesting way which, in my opinion, expands it's potential.

Anthony Hopkins dominates every scene he is in and Jeffrey Wright always does solid work but Evan Rachel Wood is really starting to flex her muscles in this.

Anyone else gonna check it out?
    Last edited by Nothinbutm on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Nothinbutm
    NET Veteran

Re: Westworld
Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:50 am
  • The original movie with Yul Brynner scared the bejesus out of me as a kid.
    Had nightmares about human like robots for a while.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:57 am
  • Loved the movie, been looking forward to this for a while. Airs tomorrow in the UK.
    "I knocked you on your ass tho, that's all I'm sayin'. And imma do it again! Imma continue to do it. Imma do it again, Imma do it again and again!" Kam Chancellor.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:14 am

Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:12 am
  • I've been looking forward to this show forever. It was terrific, really excited for the next few episodes.

The scene at the end with Dolores' dad and Anthony Hopkins was incredible.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:10 am
  • Was hoping it would be good. Going to give it a few weeks then binge watch.
    Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:33 am
  • Largent80 wrote:When is it on?

9:00 Sunday Night HBO

Haven't watched the pilot yet, but I will tonight...............Uproxx did a nice write up on what to expect, differences between this version and original, etc.

http://uproxx.com/tv/westworld-hbo-new-tv-addiction/
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:06 am

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:46 pm
  • I loved the movie, and I've been excited for this since I heard about it probably a year or so ago. I'll be watching it tonight. Then I'll probably wait a few weeks and binge.
    AAR - CJ Prosise RB/WR/??? - Notre Dame
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:06 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Crap, we dont have HBO.

get an android box with kodi on it.....then you will have everything..
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:28 pm
  • I watched it, need to watch it again, very tech savvy approach from what I gathered, kept getting interrupted so I lost most the plot, that's not good on Pilots since introductions are important going forward.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:43 am
  • I liked the pilot. Very, very strong cast. Still trying to get a grasp on Ed Harris' character - he is an outlier for sure. I know nothing of previous versions of this show/move/book/etc. so I'm taking in the plot for the 1st time and it's unlike anything on tv, to which makes me an instant fan.

Can't wait for episode 2.
    "The problem with the internet is, that one can never trust the authenticity of a source." - Abraham Lincoln
    Hawker
    NET Starter

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:06 am
  • Hawker wrote:I liked the pilot. Very, very strong cast. Still trying to get a grasp on Ed Harris' character - he is an outlier for sure. I know nothing of previous versions of this show/move/book/etc. so I'm taking in the plot for the 1st time and it's unlike anything on tv, to which makes me an instant fan.

Ditto.........and what I dig about Westworld is my favorite part of movies and tv shows, writers that have the balls to blur the lines between good and evil. Harris comes off quickly like the mean SOB antagonist villain, and Dolores the sweet OG protagonist Host. Or are they? Harris obviously has an agenda to dig deeper into the world, but for what purpose?

Also, I loved the subtle rock soundtrack reminding us that this ain't the Wild West. Black Hole Sun being played on the player piano and Paint it Black being slowly played during the shootout.

Really good stuff.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:38 am
  • Caved and watched the pilot. I'm in.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:57 am
  • Harris is a more complex Yul Brynner from the Original, there was never any doubt that he is a Black hat type Outlaw, just Harris seems to have a level of depth that the original never had, in fact all the robots appear to have an emotion chip in them which is different from the movie.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:26 am
  • What is it about?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:37 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:What is it about?

www.google.com ;)
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:06 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:What is it about?

Click on the Uproxx link I posted up the page and it gives a good synopsis of the show.

It's a complicated show, so kinda hard to explain here.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:43 pm
  • Didn't let me down. Production felt pretty True Detective and no surprise to see mutual credits. Can't wait til next week!

TV is so good now that the best writers in the world are casting film aside in favour of writing for television. It's mad how things have changed in that respect.
    "I knocked you on your ass tho, that's all I'm sayin'. And imma do it again! Imma continue to do it. Imma do it again, Imma do it again and again!" Kam Chancellor.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:13 pm
  • SomersetHawk wrote:Didn't let me down. Production felt pretty True Detective and no surprise to see mutual credits. Can't wait til next week!

TV is so good now that the best writers in the world are casting film aside in favour of writing for television. It's mad how things have changed in that respect.

Some big time actors doing television now as well. Good for us!
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:43 pm
  • Laloosh wrote:
    SomersetHawk wrote:Didn't let me down. Production felt pretty True Detective and no surprise to see mutual credits. Can't wait til next week!

Yeah, it's like the whole TV and Film industry just flipped on its head and now TV is King, everyone wants to do it.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:01 pm
  • SomersetHawk wrote:
    Laloosh wrote:
    SomersetHawk wrote:Didn't let me down. Production felt pretty True Detective and no surprise to see mutual credits. Can't wait til next week!

Yeah, it's like the whole TV and Film industry just flipped on its head and now TV is King, everyone wants to do it.

I love it, they can tell 10ish hour movies at similar quality thanks to networks like HBO. Netflix style bingeing has also changed the way a lot of people watch TV.

Movies costing more and more to go see also hasn't helped.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:36 am
  • McConoughey and Harrelson talked about this during season one of True Detective as to why so many great actors are doing TV now.

They said it's all about creative control, which they don't get with movies unless they fund and produce the entire project. With tv they have the power to have creative input into just about all the aspects of the show, including being executive producers.

Plus if they're famous enough, a piece of the revenue pie long after the show's over.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:59 am
  • Watched the pilot. Really liked it. Not sure if I want to watch on a week-to-week basis. Might just let a few weeks pass so I can watch a few at a time.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:44 am
  • I'm just extremely happy that sci-fi/tech-y/A.I. shows are becoming more and more mainstream. HUMANS, Almost Human, Orphan Black, Continuum, Defiance... just to name a few from the past couple of years. And the trend continues. Outstanding.

HBO has me hooked, officially (GOT in the summer months, Westworld in the winter months). Well done.
    "The problem with the internet is, that one can never trust the authenticity of a source." - Abraham Lincoln
    Hawker
    NET Starter

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:18 pm
  • Hawker wrote:I'm just extremely happy that sci-fi/tech-y/A.I. shows are becoming more and more mainstream. HUMANS, Almost Human, Orphan Black, Continuum, Defiance... just to name a few from the past couple of years. And the trend continues. Outstanding.

They're preparing us for our inevitable replacement with synths.
    AAR - CJ Prosise RB/WR/??? - Notre Dame
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:50 am
  • My own little theory is that Jeffrey Wright's character is an Android created by Anthony Hopkins specifically to help him with creating and understanding all the others.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:36 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:My own little theory is that Jeffrey Wright's character is an Android created by Anthony Hopkins specifically to help him with creating and understanding all the others.

I have a very similar theory on that as well.

The whisper at the end of the pilot? Seriously, he made an android cry.
    Nothinbutm
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:16 am
  • This is such an interesting show, I don't even know where to start.

Last night while we were watching the 2nd episode my wife was complaining about the brutality and treatment of the women in the show.

While I agreed, I asked her why she cared since we know these are hosts and not human. So it turned into a great conversation about empathy and having emotional reactions to these characters even though we know they're not real. Why?

IMO that's Dr. Ford's entire point with creating Westworld.........deep down inside, who are we? How would we act if given the opportunity to act and speak with no repercussions?

I seriously can't think of a more interesting show of recent years. Best show? Remains to be seen, but for the sheer dynamic of being compelling and interesting? Definitive yes.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:33 pm
  • Nothinbutm wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:My own little theory is that Jeffrey Wright's character is an Android created by Anthony Hopkins specifically to help him with creating and understanding all the others.

I have a very similar theory on that as well.

The whisper at the end of the pilot? Seriously, he made an android cry.

A buddy of mine pointed out that they mentioned that Wright's character had only been on staff for 15 years. Maybe he was an original park host and maybe one of the first to have the glitch, so they pulled him out to help understand the others? I don't know, something just seems off with his character.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:15 pm
  • I liked the look of the coming attractions for this show and finally got around to watching the first episode the other day.

I am hooked. Another show of exceptional depth and quality from HBO. I was a fan of the original Yul Brenner movie and was worried how they'd work the new show in with the old.

It is seamless. It is terrific and if you, like me, have been craving some quality Sci-Fi, this is it.
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:02 pm

Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:18 pm
  • Can you describe your character?

In the first two episodes, it seems like he’s the baddest guy around, but you learn a lot more about him as the episodes go on in terms of what he does in the real world, his family and what he’s doing in Westworld.

Talk a little about the violence on Westworld, because your character “kills” a lot of other characters.

He doesn’t “kill” anybody, because they [the robotic figures] all get re-fixed and sent back out. So in that way, I guess that made me feel like maybe the violence was acceptable on some level. It is a violent world. Everybody knows that. And this is a place where it’s safe and you’re not harming anybody by being violent. You get a chance to go there and get that kind of thing out of your system, hopefully.

I think when he initially came there, he didn’t come there to shoot up robotic people or have sex with robotic prostitutes. I don’t know why. I think he was probably more curious than anything when he first went there. I think he discovered this darker side of himself that he probably wasn’t even aware of on some level, but knew there was a real part of him and a real part of his nature. Every year, he goes back for a month and he purges it, so he doesn’t have to deal with it in the real world.

http://parade.com/513895/walterscott/ed ... hollywood/
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:59 am
  • This makes too much sense not to be true.

HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:49 pm
  • HAWKAMANIA wrote:This makes too much sense not to be true.

SPOILERS AHEAD: It does make sense, but why does Ed Harris' character have blue eyes, while the young version of him have brown eyes?
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:36 am
  • I absolutely love the tactic in possible multiple story lines.

This show is a slow burn of a story and still gives you enough to ask more questions and be curious about everything that's going on. Very good sign of writing, particularly.

I haven't seen the new episode from this past weekend since I've been out of town for about 2 weeks due to work but obviously checking it out tonight.
    Nothinbutm
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:03 pm
  • This last episode was WOW. In fact, Bernard is EXACTLY who I thought he was from the beginning. I am not going to reveal it just in case someone does not want to be spoiled. Seanhawk, you nailed it!! :2thumbs:
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:32 pm
  • Anyone else see a little Hannibal Lecter in Hopkins eyes during the last scene this week? Sent some fo serious heebie jeebies up my spine, wow what a performance.

So a theory I've been mulling over is I don't think Arnold is dead. His demise, whereabouts and general involvement in the characters dialogue is too big a part of the show so far for him to just be the old dead partner of Dr. Ford.

I think he's hiding somewhere in the deep recesses of the park somewhere and BOTH Dr. Ford and the Man in Black are looking for him.........cause Ford knows Arnold is the only one that can take him down, and the Man in Black wants to find him to help take Dr. Ford down.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:01 pm
  • Considering Dr Ford with a thought can stop everything in the park has anyone considered he is a Robot with Arnolds memories?

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:11 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Considering Dr Ford with a thought can stop everything in the park has anyone considered he is a Robot with Arnolds memories?

Now that would be flat-out creepy.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:44 pm
  • I'm a couple episodes behind currently but holy crap, the ending to episode 7 was a roller coaster of emotions. And without trying giving too much away, somebody earlier in this thread was dead on about Jeffrey Wright's character. Well done :2thumbs:
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:58 am
  • So did the last scene's conversation between Dolores and Bernard confirm the multiple timeline theory? I was a little confused with the last 15 minutes of this week's episode.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:So did the last scene's conversation between Dolores and Bernard confirm the multiple timeline theory? I was a little confused with the last 15 minutes of this week's episode.

*** SPOILERS ***

Not necessarily. I don't think that scene is what's tipping the hat to the multiple timeline theory. Two other things have done that (for me anyways). First was when Dolores got stabbed and her mechanics underneath the skin are outdated, it's alloy instead of the actual material that we see in parts of episodes that resemble bones. Remember what the mechanic said to Maeve when she began becoming self-aware? "It's hard to tell us apart these days".

And the second is the obvious strategy when she was expecting to see William with the white hat when the church door opens, only to see the Man In Black. This one is more subtle but it is definitely a nod to saying Billy is now the Man In Black.

Nolan shoved a ton down our throats in the third act of last weeks episode, but it was pretty damn impressive how he is weaving these stories together.
    Nothinbutm
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:57 pm
  • Nothinbutm wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:So did the last scene's conversation between Dolores and Bernard confirm the multiple timeline theory? I was a little confused with the last 15 minutes of this week's episode.

*** SPOILERS ***

Not necessarily. I don't think that scene is what's tipping the hat to the multiple timeline theory. Two other things have done that (for me anyways). First was when Dolores got stabbed and her mechanics underneath the skin are outdated, it's alloy instead of the actual material that we see in parts of episodes that resemble bones. Remember what the mechanic said to Maeve when she began becoming self-aware? "It's hard to tell us apart these days".

And the second is the obvious strategy when she was expecting to see William with the white hat when the church door opens, only to see the Man In Black. This one is more subtle but it is definitely a nod to saying Billy is now the Man In Black.

Nolan shoved a ton down our throats in the third act of last weeks episode, but it was pretty damn impressive how he is weaving these stories together.

Word.

I actually read something this morning that there may be three timelines in play. The Arnold timeline, William timeline...........and present day.

Agree on Nolan, I may not completely follow what the hell's going on, but I love any writer/producer/show that challenges it's viewers to put down the Candy Crush and pay attention or else you're lost.........or as I like to call it "Sgt Largent's wife's style of watching TV."
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:37 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Nothinbutm wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:So did the last scene's conversation between Dolores and Bernard confirm the multiple timeline theory? I was a little confused with the last 15 minutes of this week's episode.

*** SPOILERS ***

Word.

I actually read something this morning that there may be three timelines in play. The Arnold timeline, William timeline...........and present day.

Agree on Nolan, I may not completely follow what the hell's going on, but I love any writer/producer/show that challenges it's viewers to put down the Candy Crush and pay attention or else you're lost.........or as I like to call it "Sgt Largent's wife's style of watching TV."

My 2 cents, or so:

Most of the interaction with Dolores and "Bernard" is actually Dolly remembering previous sessions with Arnold . . all this time we thought Bernard was facilitating the glitch was actually flashbacks to Arnold.

I pulled back some from the man in black = William this week . . . William has his epiphany that Dolores is "alive", but the MIB talks about killing Maeve being his moment of seeing deeper. Not rock solid, but a point away from that theory.
    Dismas
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:54 am
  • Season finale tonight about an hour after the conclusion of the 'Hawks game! Helluva couple hours.
    Nothinbutm
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:47 am
  • So solid first season, but if I'm being honest watching Westworld isn't anything near the viscerally exciting experience as my other favorite shows are/were..............Breaking Bad, GOT, Fargo, Better Call Saul, etc.

In fact, for long stretches of episodes, and especially the overly long finale I want it to be over. It's just not a very satisfying show, interesting? Yes. Thought provoking? Yes. Pretty to look at? Absolutely. But satisfying? No.

I mean everyone pretty much guessed the big plot reveals of this season by episode 3 or 4. Multiple timelines, William = MIB, etc. So there wasn't any real big amazing moments of the finale.

Another observation is it's hard to build audience empathy and emotional gravity for characters that can be killed 1,000 times and come back just fine the next episode. Intellectually it works, but emotionally you're robbing the audience of being engaged and empathetic in a characters demise.

Anyway, still dig Westworld, and will continue to watch. But if I'm being honest I'm glad the season's over so I can move onto other shows, as it was 75% confusing, sterile and tedious, and only about 25% engaging.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:04 pm
  • Tell the truth you want new naked actresses, they need recasting. It's only interesting when you see them the first dozen times or so. :)

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:12 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Tell the truth you want new naked actresses, they need recasting. It's only interesting when you see them the first dozen times or so. :)

haha............hey I was never big on Thandie Newton as an actress until Westworld. Now for some crazy reason she's one of my favorites!
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:54 pm
  • 2018 until Season 2 :(
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:55 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information