Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Westworld

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Westworld
Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:05 pm
  • Admittedly, it does have a stark approach in it's story telling texture. Such is Johnathan Nolan. He is a guru on story structure and plot, but does struggle on the character front and especially dialogue at times.

There are a lot of themes that some might argue say dilute the whole story due to the number of them.

And as far as preferences go, Sgt. Largent, you mentioned shows that are extremely character heavy over plot. It's in the details and doesn't attack you as an audience members with large societal and universal messages. Those shows put you in their shoes and make you feel what they do. Thus what you referred to as visceral. It makes a lot of sense the way you explain it. All that being said, Westworld is a theme and concept heavy show. Much more so then the majority of television series in my opinion.

I enjoy the messages that were said and nuances identified in the storytelling. I value and respect Jonah Nolan a ton for his writing. His directing is mediocre, however. He directed the first and last episode. Writing wise, the last episode was the superior of them all, but by a hair compared to episode 9. The director of episode 9 is much more capable and I valued that episode as the best from top to bottom in weighing all aspects. I think the finale suffered from Nolan's directing. He definitely isn't his brother. Jonah is the superior writer, but by no means a very capable director.

I'll be waiting for season 2 very restlessly.

Oh, and Thandie Newton's only performance I was ever a fan of before this series was Rock'n'Rolla.
    Nothinbutm
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:13 am
  • Nothinbutm wrote:Oh, and Thandie Newton's only performance I was ever a fan of before this series was Rock'n'Rolla.

Ironically Newton's casting left the lowest impression on me before the season started, yet I found Mauve the most compelling and interesting of all the characters.

Her's was the only character that became more and more complex and showed growth throughout the season. The rest were just kinda maudlin tragedies, there for us to empathize with.

It wasn't until the very last 15 minutes of the entire season that we saw the other hosts finally take charge and show us something other than what I described above.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:14 pm
  • SPOILERS*** I'm very excited for season 2. They set it up real well in the finale. There should be a ton of action now that the hosts are trying to take charge. It will become a survival game for the guests. Also, it seems as though westworld is just one park out of a possible many as indicated during Maeve's escape scene (SW symbol could mean samurai world or shogun world?).

Dolores'/Wyatt's role should be interesting as she and Maeve might be the only hosts to be completely self aware. Also, I hope the Man in Black makes it to next season, Ed Harris is too good an actor and MIB too good a character to kill off. Then again, same could have been said about Anthony Hopkins...
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:13 pm
  • Having seen the Original Movie this appears to be something pre Delos in the History before the meltdown of the Movie, the warning signs so to speak and the money winning out. Delos was what the Park was called in the movie, I also think the Ed Harris Character is the Character that Yul Brenner plays in the movie.

Knowing this now the show has branched over a 35 year or so time period we should be all caught up for next season and be in their worlds real timeline now.

Anthony Hopkins dying at the end reminded me of Game of Thrones, big name actor has lead roll to set the stage for the series and is then the reference for the show going forward and everything evolves from his decisions.

This sets the stage for a cast of Actors and Actresses that are not considered A list to now get established in the show and carry it forward.

Cheaper for HBO to produce with hungry actors that can see their star rise.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:02 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Having seen the Original Movie this appears to be something pre Delos in the History before the meltdown of the Movie, the warning signs so to speak and the money winning out. Delos was what the Park was called in the movie, I also think the Ed Harris Character is the Character that Yul Brenner plays in the movie.

Knowing this now the show has branched over a 35 year or so time period we should be all caught up for next season and be in their worlds real timeline now.

Anthony Hopkins dying at the end reminded me of Game of Thrones, big name actor has lead roll to set the stage for the series and is then the reference for the show going forward and everything evolves from his decisions.

This sets the stage for a cast of Actors and Actresses that are not considered A list to now get established in the show and carry it forward.

Cheaper for HBO to produce with hungry actors that can see their star rise.

I don't think the movie fits with the series at all, except in the "based on" sense.

Yul in the movie is Maeve, and Dolores, and teddy, rolled into one with murderous intent.

This feels more reboot than sequel or prequel, take the original story and run, seeing where it mi8ght lead with the 21st century grasp on technology and its possibilities.

I too am stoked for season 2 . . . let the robot wars commence!
    Dismas
    NET Starter

Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:20 pm
  • The actress that plays Delores said in an interview that the first season is more like a prequel, to get everybody up to speed on the characters, timeline etc. Said the show actually gets going in season 2 (No, I don't have a link). This is kind of where it could mirror the original movie a bit, marking the moment that they all went haywire and started all the mayhem. Before the next season starts they'll probably show season 1 over again many times so I'm gonna watch it again to tie up any loose ends I didn't put together the first time around.

"Marshawn Lynch does not run. He rumbles. And he shook the ground with a perfect '10' on the Beast-Quake Scale"
    NFL Films on 24 yard TD run in NFCCG vs Packers

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:54 am
  • BlueThunder wrote:The actress that plays Delores said in an interview that the first season is more like a prequel, to get everybody up to speed on the characters, timeline etc. Said the show actually gets going in season 2 (No, I don't have a link). This is kind of where it could mirror the original movie a bit, marking the moment that they all went haywire and started all the mayhem. Before the next season starts they'll probably show season 1 over again many times so I'm gonna watch it again to tie up any loose ends I didn't put together the first time around.

I hope that's true, cause while Westword is one of the most interesting shows produced over the past decade, it reminds me of Lost or The Leftovers where after every episode you're confused and not very satisfied.

So I hope the writers and producers start pushing the narrative forward with one timeline making the plot lines tighter.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:04 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:The actress that plays Delores said in an interview that the first season is more like a prequel, to get everybody up to speed on the characters, timeline etc. Said the show actually gets going in season 2 (No, I don't have a link). This is kind of where it could mirror the original movie a bit, marking the moment that they all went haywire and started all the mayhem. Before the next season starts they'll probably show season 1 over again many times so I'm gonna watch it again to tie up any loose ends I didn't put together the first time around.

I hope that's true, cause while Westword is one of the most interesting shows produced over the past decade, it reminds me of Lost or The Leftovers where after every episode you're confused and not very satisfied.

So I hope the writers and producers start pushing the narrative forward with one timeline making the plot lines tighter.

Haha. It's funny you should group both of those together since David Lindelof was the primary writer for both of those. I do feel the same way about those two shows at times. Albeit I think Leftovers is far more concise and structured.

Jonah Nolan explains more but just as much as you need to know, imho. He mentioned in an interview that the first season is designed to be a "slow burn". Pretty convenient verbage since that is exactly the phrase I used to describe the show. It does seem like the show makers wanted to launch the show off in a very specific and methodical way. It's taking it's time and a lot of American audiences simply do not have the patience for stuff like that. I respect the strategy however. The Hosts began murdering humans en masse at the end of the season, it seems like they ignited the rockets to me.

Nolan can have a penchant for executing his writing to where his climax can seem pseudo-climactic at times (The Prestige, Memento), and don't get me wrong, I know his brother co-wrote and directed it, but Jonah can be very subtle in his plot points. Which is obviously a double edged sword.

Aaaaaand now we wait until 2018.

No more Dolores, just Wyatt.
    Nothinbutm
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:32 am
  • Nothinbutm wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:The actress that plays Delores said in an interview that the first season is more like a prequel, to get everybody up to speed on the characters, timeline etc. Said the show actually gets going in season 2 (No, I don't have a link). This is kind of where it could mirror the original movie a bit, marking the moment that they all went haywire and started all the mayhem. Before the next season starts they'll probably show season 1 over again many times so I'm gonna watch it again to tie up any loose ends I didn't put together the first time around.

Haha. It's funny you should group both of those together since David Lindelof was the primary writer for both of those. I do feel the same way about those two shows at times. Albeit I think Leftovers is far more concise and structured.

Jonah Nolan explains more but just as much as you need to know, imho. He mentioned in an interview that the first season is designed to be a "slow burn". Pretty convenient verbage since that is exactly the phrase I used to describe the show. It does seem like the show makers wanted to launch the show off in a very specific and methodical way. It's taking it's time and a lot of American audiences simply do not have the patience for stuff like that. I respect the strategy however. The Hosts began murdering humans en masse at the end of the season, it seems like they ignited the rockets to me.

Nolan can have a penchant for executing his writing to where his climax can seem pseudo-climactic at times (The Prestige, Memento), and don't get me wrong, I know his brother co-wrote and directed it, but Jonah can be very subtle in his plot points. Which is obviously a double edged sword.

Aaaaaand now we wait until 2018.

No more Dolores, just Wyatt.

Nice synopsis..........and I'm just being picky. I mean really, the amount of amazing well produced, written and acted TV now is insane, with production that rivals any big budget movie.

What a time we live in!
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:29 am
  • Pity is we get 10 Episodes on something and have to wait a year to year and a half many times for the next season, the way shows come out you forget about some, or they change time slots and sometimes channels. Game of Thrones, Outlander, The 100, and many others I currently watch. I guess the TV culture being so different and not having Canned sets that are used over and over ala Gilligans Island and I Love Lucy being examples of keeping costs low, although at the time Gilligans Island was considered expensive.

So much is now shot in locations not Hollywood and special effects has risen to as stated Movie level. Watching the Sci Fy channels own movies and seeing our favorite TV series you can see so much difference.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:35 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Pity is we get 10 Episodes on something and have to wait a year to year and a half many times for the next season, the way shows come out you forget about some, or they change time slots and sometimes channels. Game of Thrones, Outlander, The 100, and many others I currently watch. I guess the TV culture being so different and not having Canned sets that are used over and over ala Gilligans Island and I Love Lucy being examples of keeping costs low, although at the time Gilligans Island was considered expensive.

So much is now shot in locations not Hollywood and special effects has risen to as stated Movie level. Watching the Sci Fy channels own movies and seeing our favorite TV series you can see so much difference.

I'm fine with waiting, I can't even begin to imagine the production logistics and planning it takes to pull off a show like Game of Thrones, Westworld, etc.

I'd rather they take their time and do it right, then rush it for the sake of meeting a fall deadline.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:47 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Pity is we get 10 Episodes on something and have to wait a year to year and a half many times for the next season, the way shows come out you forget about some, or they change time slots and sometimes channels. Game of Thrones, Outlander, The 100, and many others I currently watch. I guess the TV culture being so different and not having Canned sets that are used over and over ala Gilligans Island and I Love Lucy being examples of keeping costs low, although at the time Gilligans Island was considered expensive.

I'm fine with waiting, I can't even begin to imagine the production logistics and planning it takes to pull off a show like Game of Thrones, Westworld, etc.

I'd rather they take their time and do it right, then rush it for the sake of meeting a fall deadline.

Well waiting and then having them bring out new shows that are also well done and playing them off on the same time slot, I am glad I have on demand, I often have to write down the shows and go back and watch them since many are in the same time slot on same days.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:17 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:So solid first season, but if I'm being honest watching Westworld isn't anything near the viscerally exciting experience as my other favorite shows are/were..............Breaking Bad, GOT, Fargo, Better Call Saul, etc.

In fact, for long stretches of episodes, and especially the overly long finale I want it to be over. It's just not a very satisfying show, interesting? Yes. Thought provoking? Yes. Pretty to look at? Absolutely. But satisfying? No.

I mean everyone pretty much guessed the big plot reveals of this season by episode 3 or 4. Multiple timelines, William = MIB, etc. So there wasn't any real big amazing moments of the finale.

Another observation is it's hard to build audience empathy and emotional gravity for characters that can be killed 1,000 times and come back just fine the next episode. Intellectually it works, but emotionally you're robbing the audience of being engaged and empathetic in a characters demise.

Anyway, still dig Westworld, and will continue to watch. But if I'm being honest I'm glad the season's over so I can move onto other shows, as it was 75% confusing, sterile and tedious, and only about 25% engaging.

I kind of agree. It was really well done, entertaining, great story telling and all that, but it just never really felt like the stakes were that high. Cool twists and turns and interesting characters and concepts, but it was just robots.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:25 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:haha............hey I was never big on Thandie Newton as an actress until Westworld. Now for some crazy reason she's one of my favorites!

Big Thandie Newton fan now....LOL

I've been mesmerized by the show. Hard to follow at times, with huge holes in the story lines, but loving it anyway.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:39 pm
  • It's suppose to raise questions answer some and create more, I think like GOT they will focus more on the core in the 2nd season, they set the stage with the Greed, Self Awareness coming to the Hosts, and how things are going to come together and clash now.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:54 am
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:24 am
  • Who thinks Ford (Hopkins) is really dead, and who thinks what got killed was simply a version of himself?

I'm more inclined toward the latter, but hard to say.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:43 pm
  • HAWKAMANIA wrote:

That was pretty good.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:00 pm
  • HAWKAMANIA wrote:

LOLOL...I loved that. Especially that they had the actual characters from the show in it.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

Previous

It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information