Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS)

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:56 pm
  • No original saga music, no opening crawl, those things served NO purpose whatsoever to leave out. If you change away from a beloved formula by all, you damn well better do it for a reason. Nobody can argue that.

I disagree with JG about them doing just enough to make you care about the main characters. I think they came up short on that count, especially considering the ending. One could argue that I had my hopes up too high for Episode VII, but that wasn't the case with this. I went in with tempered expectations because I didn't want to be disappointed again like I was with Episode VII.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:46 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:No original saga music, no opening crawl, those things served NO purpose whatsoever to leave out. If you change away from a beloved formula by all, you damn well better do it for a reason. Nobody can argue that.

I disagree with JG about them doing just enough to make you care about the main characters. I think they came up short on that count, especially considering the ending. One could argue that I had my hopes up too high for Episode VII, but that wasn't the case with this. I went in with tempered expectations because I didn't want to be disappointed again like I was with Episode VII.

Fair enough.

I tried pushing your buttons, even called you borderline hipster and you replied with a sensible post. Damn it.

On a separate note, are we turning this into a spoiler thread?
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:48 am
  • Definitely need to edit the title of we're doing that.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:35 pm
  • Family is heading out of town tomorrow. Think I'll try to catch an early showing.
    Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:29 pm
  • SO was it a redone SW IV? The Empire strikes back?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:44 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:SO was it a redone SW IV? The Empire strikes back?

Nah, it definitely wasn't that.

JGfromtheNW wrote:I tried pushing your buttons, even called you borderline hipster and you replied with a sensible post. Damn it.

Sorry. Have to keep you guessing.

JGfromtheNW wrote:On a separate note, are we turning this into a spoiler thread?

I wasn't intending to, but anybody clicking on this thread should be un-stupid enough ;) to know there are likely to be spoilers.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:32 pm
  • On second viewing, I love this movie. It's really good. The few little things that bothered me the first time were virtually insignificant the second time. I still wish it had a crawl and more of the original music, but other than that it's a home run. It's the perfect prequel to A New Hope.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:57 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:On second viewing, I love this movie. It's really good. The few little things that bothered me the first time were virtually insignificant the second time. I still wish it had a crawl and more of the original music, but other than that it's a home run. It's the perfect prequel to A New Hope.

I agree! We saw it yesterday and personally loved it. It's by far the best SW prequel made IMO. I love how it ties right into the opening scene of ANH. :2thumbs:
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:45 pm
  • The Darth Vader scene was...

Amazing. It truly brought out his menacing side and showed how truly fragile the entire sequence of events in this story universe was.
    Nothinbutm
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:06 am

• :greetingsearthling:
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:49 am
  • They wanted to have a crawl. The first 10 minutes of the movie were originally meant to just be told in the crawl. But they couldnt get it concise enough to convey the message and info they wanted apparently so they went instead with a flashback.

Changing the music I assume is a sort of aural announcement that this isnt part of the Trilogy main story arc. So..yea..served a purpose.

My only gripes are that I think Tarkin should have been a hologram..so that the the CGI doesnt take you out of the movie, and I would have done the Darth Vader going off scene slightly different.

Watched it 4 times.. Thursday midnight, Friday day, Saturday day, Sunday evening. So, yes, I like it.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:42 am
  • My little review

All I can say is...............I have a new favorite droid now!

I won't give away any spoilers cause most of you haven't seen Rogue One yet, but rest assure it's a very good movie. If I had to rate it, which is hard since it's a stand alone entry into the Star Wars universe, I'd put it behind Empire, but ahead of Force Awakens and New Hope.

Why? Cause when you have a stand alone movie like this in the year 2016, you get to kick a lot of ass visually, you get to kill off people, you get to make it as dark as you want, you get to take all these liberties that add emotion, grit and gravity to the story cause you don't have to waste any time laying the groundwork for a sequel, or prequel, or whatever.........and most importantly you still can tug at the heartstrings and give nods to beloved characters. So it's the best of both worlds.

Lastly, and this may seem blasphemous............but the lack of Jedi's was amazing! No "who's that Jedi? Is he a Jedi? Is she a Jedi? Who's her Jedi lineage? Is that a good Jedi or bad Jedi? idk are we sure that's a Jedi?",........on and on.

Donnie Yen's character prays to Jedi's, and talks about them, but that's it, and it was refreshing as hell. So call me a heretic, but no Jedi = win for me. Plenty of interesting stories to tell in the Star Wars universe without it having to center around who banged who's Jedi mom and dad, so let's spend the first two acts talking about that.

Rogue One is exactly what it sets out to deliver, a dark gritty yet fun stand alone entry in the Star Wars universe. Mission Accomplished.

4.50 out of 5 Saw Gerrera's C-Pap machines.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:32 pm
  • Saw it Thursday night at 8:30pm EST.

You know how most recent movies are awesome in the first two acts and then fall apart in the third? Rogue One is the inverse of that. First two acts are shoddy and rushed, not a lot of great characterization. But in the end, it comes together beautifully. The last three minutes might honestly be amongst the best in the franchise.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:23 pm
  • Well, that was.... grim. I will say I think the movie made more sense to me having read Catalyst, which really delved into Galen Erso's relationship with Orson Crennic, and just how badly Crennic's career was cratered after the Erso's escape from Coruscant. It also covers Crennic's rivalry with Tarkin, and that Tarkin really only viewed Crennic as a bug to be crushed. He only let Crennic command the Death Star project with the assumption that he would fail miserably, and if he succeeded, Tarkin would sweep in and take credit. It also covers that Crennic and Lyra Erso really barely ever tolerated each other at best, which explains some of the prologue.
    "Game over, man! Game over!"

RIP Bill Paxton, 1955-2017
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:19 pm
  • Vetamur wrote:Changing the music I assume is a sort of aural announcement that this isnt part of the Trilogy main story arc. So..yea..served a purpose.

Come on; really? This falls under the category of "nerdscuse" rather than "reason," lol.

I don't think I have anything further to add to the thread, except to sign off with my reiteration that it's definitely not an amazing film in my opinion. Don't get mad, I said IN MY OPINION...even if it is right. ;) Putting it ahead of A New Hope is just ridiculous.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:11 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Vetamur wrote:Changing the music I assume is a sort of aural announcement that this isnt part of the Trilogy main story arc. So..yea..served a purpose.

Come on; really? This falls under the category of "nerdscuse" rather than "reason," lol.

I don't think I have anything further to add to the thread, except to sign off with my reiteration that it's definitely not an amazing film in my opinion. Don't get mad, I said IN MY OPINION...even if it is right. ;) Putting it ahead of A New Hope is just ridiculous.

I actually agree that changing the music serves a purpose, I just don't think they executed it properly. But I also think that most of my issues with this movie (which are admittedly few) would have been solved just by using mostly familiar music from the OT and maybe even some from the PT. I just don't understand going through such lengths to make it look like A New Hope just to take us out of it by using some weird generic sounding music. It bothered me way less on second viewing than it did on the first, but I still think it was the wrong choice. And the fact that they reportedly only had 4 weeks to score the film makes it doubly questionable that they tried to go with all new music.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:48 am
  • Ok. Just back from my 3rd viewing. Changed my mind. I love the score, I just needed time to warm up to it. Carry on.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:14 am
  • That was terrible. Felt like a low budget TV version set in the same universe as Star Wars like a Gotham or an Agents of Shield.

It leaned pretty heavily on its human interest angle in the absence of traditional Jedi/Sith lynchpins yet engendered no attachment to the characters involved save Ben Mendelson who was under utilised. Can you name one defining characteristic of Cassian for example? Really awful acting too - Whitaker the very worst culprit.

Vader Oldboy'ing was masterful and IP Man had one good scene but the rest, dear me.
    Beren
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:33 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Vetamur wrote:Changing the music I assume is a sort of aural announcement that this isnt part of the Trilogy main story arc. So..yea..served a purpose.

C'mon Roland, Disney and the producers don't change arguably THE most iconic movie score in the history of cinema without it serving a purpose.

You can debate what the purpose was, and whether it worked or not, that's fair. But to say they did it for no reason whatsoever isn't being honest.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:51 am
  • Beren wrote:That was terrible. Felt like a low budget TV version set in the same universe as Star Wars like a Gotham or an Agents of Shield.

It leaned pretty heavily on its human interest angle in the absence of traditional Jedi/Sith lynchpins yet engendered no attachment to the characters involved save Ben Mendelson who was under utilised. Can you name one defining characteristic of Cassian for example? Really awful acting too - Whitaker the very worst culprit.

Vader Oldboy'ing was masterful and IP Man had one good scene but the rest, dear me.

Cassian was conflicted about the methods but committed to the cause. Pretty obvious from his very first scene.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:34 am
  • Beren wrote:That was terrible. Felt like a low budget TV version set in the same universe as Star Wars like a Gotham or an Agents of Shield.

I agree on Forest Whitaker. Was that acting? Truly atrocious.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:21 am
  • He went weird, as he tends to do. Something I was definitely worried about going in and wasn't sure how I felt about at first. Again though, 3 views in and I get it. I like it. It's memorable and bizarre like Bib Fortuna at Jabba's palace or when we first heard Yoda speak or Vader breathe. Maybe it doesn't quite deliver like those charters did, but we're saturated now, we're spoiled with catalogs of unique, interesting characters.

And I think that's ultimately the biggest hurdle for Star Wars now and going forward; trying to be unique and memorable without the option of really being groundbreaking and captivating its audience with awe and wonder. That's why nothing they can do will ever live up to the original trilogy.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:26 am
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    Beren wrote:That was terrible. Felt like a low budget TV version set in the same universe as Star Wars like a Gotham or an Agents of Shield.

Only thing about Whitaker's character I scratched my head at is why did he give up so easily?

It seemed very contrived.........."no, I'm good guys, you go ahead, cause.........................????" *takes hit off of C-pap*
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:28 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    Beren wrote:That was terrible. Felt like a low budget TV version set in the same universe as Star Wars like a Gotham or an Agents of Shield.

Only thing about Whitaker's character I scratched my head at is why did he give up so easily?

It seemed very contrived.........."no, I'm good guys, you go ahead, cause.........................????" *takes hit off of C-pap*

He's got a long back story. He's been fighting since the Clone Wars. He's more machine than man, paranoid and half crazy. His time was up.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:58 am
  • Reading through this thread again, I definitely think a lot of people are being hyper critical of Rogue One and Force Awakens.

Let's face it, these last two movies run circles around even the first trilogy as far as visuals, acting and writing. Disney isn't messing around with casting, producing, writing or directing........these are literally some of the best actors and writers in the industry right now........and unlike Lucas, used properly, not just as fill in's for his green screen CGI nightmares.

Neither Rogue One or Force Awakens are perfect movies, but man are they a refreshing continuation of the franchise we all grew up and loved, especially after the Lucas prequels.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:05 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Reading through this thread again, I definitely think a lot of people are being hyper critical of Rogue One and Force Awakens.

Let's face it, these last two movies run circles around even the first trilogy as far as visuals, acting and writing. Disney isn't messing around with casting, producing, writing or directing........these are literally some of the best actors and writers in the industry right now........and unlike Lucas, used properly, not just as fill in's for his green screen CGI nightmares.

Neither Rogue One or Force Awakens are perfect movies, but man are they a refreshing continuation of the franchise we all grew up and loved, especially after the Lucas prequels.

I agree. Just like with the Seahawks, anything less than perfection is unacceptable these days. I really don't understand the mindset.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:20 pm
  • I though Force Awakens was awesome. I have the Blu Ray with the special features which make me appreciate it even more. How hard it was to make it and the lengths they went to make it less CGI.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:25 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:I though Force Awakens was awesome. I have the Blu Ray with the special features which make me appreciate it even more. How hard it was to make it and the lengths they went to make it less CGI.

Good point.........and I will say the two CGI character renderings in Rogue One definitely looked fake. But I understand the need for them.

Other actors playing these two iconic roles would have been even more distracting, controversial and off putting.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:34 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I though Force Awakens was awesome. I have the Blu Ray with the special features which make me appreciate it even more. How hard it was to make it and the lengths they went to make it less CGI.

Good point.........and I will say the two CGI character renderings in Rogue One definitely looked fake. But I understand the need for them.

Other actors playing these two iconic roles would have been even more distracting, controversial and off putting.

It's funny because both those characters were obviously CG to me but the people I was with who aren't as familiar with Star Wars didn't even notice. But yeah, one of the things I wish could have been done better.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:47 pm
  • I'm not sure many people in this thread realize that the authentic thing about Tarkin is his actual movement, every bit of which is real. They re-skinned a live actor for it; Guy Henry. The CGI looked very good overall.

Also, Sgt. Largent: even Hitler did what he did for a purpose, or reason. Yes, that's an extreme example; but it's to make a point. I thought it was pretty obvious that when I said they did it for absolutely no reason, that I was referring to absolutely no positive or beneficial reason. No opening crawl, give me a break. It's tantamount to going to an Outback Steakhouse and they tell you they don't have steak on the menu anymore. Doesn't matter what reasons they have for the choice, it's just stupid and wrong.

Before this film came out if a million fans had been polled, most likely the most common thing they would expect to see in the film is the opening crawl with the original theme. What did we gain from its absence?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:58 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Reading through this thread again, I definitely think a lot of people are being hyper critical of Rogue One and Force Awakens.

I agree. Just like with the Seahawks, anything less than perfection is unacceptable these days. I really don't understand the mindset.

I think many people are thinking these two films are better than they are because they're suffering from a case of "Thank-God-they're-not-Lucas-prequels-itis."

I've been contemplating something that to you guys will probably sound like ridiculous sacrilege ever since I saw Rogue One, but something I've been thinking about is whether Revenge of the Sith is a better film than Episode VII and Rogue One.

If I'm suffering from what some of you are claiming, being critical comparing these new ones because they're not the original beloved trilogy, I wouldn't be contemplating what I just stated. Somewhere during the first half of Revenge of the Sith, Hayden Christensen finally figured out how to act in front of a green screen and he became noticeably better at it. The acting between him and Ewan McGregor during the second half of the film was actually pretty good overall, and the emotional tension between them near the end is visceral in a way that hasn't been achieved by anything on-screen in Episode VII or Rogue One.

Again...if I'm "hating" on the two new films for the reasons people have accused me of, I wouldn't be using something from Episode III as a comparison like this.

I'll probably get torched for this; so be it. To be clear, Episode I is garbage, and Episode II is like a 4.5 out of 10, but I'd say Revenge of the Sith is like a 7.5 out of 10 overall. The first time any of us watched Episode V, we did not see Darth Vader being Luke's father coming. In Episode VII, even five-year-olds saw a certain monumental death coming well before it happened. They missed a chance to truly shock people in a lifelong memorable way. Just one of a number of mistakes in Episode VII. Whatever rating I give Episode III, I give Episode VII something just below it.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:12 am
  • Sorry, man. Episode III, like II and I before it, is hardly worth discussing as a film. Sure there were some cool things that happened in it, based on the Star Wars lore and the Skywalker saga, but it isn't even remotely close to being the movie that Rogue One is, or The Force Awakens is for that matter. You might like the stuff that happened in it better, you might think it is more important to the overall story, but as far as actual movie making? It's not even close. Those prequels are absolute embarrassments. And I liked them when they came out. I've watched them all a thousand times. ROTS is the least smelly chunk of shit in the massive dump that is the prequel trilogy. RO and TFA are so many light years beyond as movies it's not worth even discussing.

Seeing Obi Wan chop Anakin into Darth Vader was awesome. It's a cool lightsaber battle those two had. Very well choreographed. There's cool things in all the other PT movies as well. But that's it, some cool things. The movies overall are garbage. They're trash. You might pull a valuable item out of a dumpster full of trash but it's still a dumpster full of trash. Every single thing about RO and TFA is better than the PT with the exception of the few elements of the story they contain that are important to the overall saga.

Nobody knew Vader was Luke's father because we didn't have the context to come to that conclusion. You can't compare things that happen now that we've watched these movies a thousand times and know the stories better than the people who created them with the stuff they did before any of us really knew anything. C'mon, man. You're a "logic" guy. You don't like the new movies, fine, that's cool. But at least recognize that your expectations and standards are far beyond what they were when you saw the other films.

Sometimes the way you tell the story is more important than the story itself, as is the case with TFA when compared to the PT. But you also tend to forget that TFA is only the first part of the story, there's 2 more movies to tell the rest of that tale. Watch ROTS with no context and tell me it's a better movie than TFA or RO. I know that's not possible now, but c'mon. Just think about it.
    Last edited by Zebulon Dak on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:39 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'm not sure many people in this thread realize that the authentic thing about Tarkin is his actual movement, every bit of which is real. They re-skinned a live actor for it; Guy Henry. The CGI looked very good overall.

Also, Sgt. Largent: even Hitler did what he did for a purpose, or reason. Yes, that's an extreme example; but it's to make a point. I thought it was pretty obvious that when I said they did it for absolutely no reason, that I was referring to absolutely no positive or beneficial reason. No opening crawl, give me a break. It's tantamount to going to an Outback Steakhouse and they tell you they don't have steak on the menu anymore. Doesn't matter what reasons they have for the choice, it's just stupid and wrong.

Before this film came out if a million fans had been polled, most likely the most common thing they would expect to see in the film is the opening crawl with the original theme. What did we gain from its absence?

Hitler? lol, it's like we're back in the PWR!

j/k............I get that you didn't like the score, and I'd agree somewhat that it was weird without the iconic scroll and score.

But it had a purpose, it's purpose was to say this is a stand alone movie in the Star Wars universe, therefore there is nothing to catch you up on with the scroll.............and since this story took place before any Star Wars movie you've seen, we're NOT going to use William's score.

But they did incorporate it a little. If you noticed those iconic scores were used sparingly as undertones to Rogue One's main score. Subtle, but they were there.

The question is did these two things take away from the experience. For me? No. Sounds like for you it did.

Which again is fair, but it had a purpose whether you agree with it or not.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

• I don't think you need Shock value to have a good story, twists and turns and solid characters as well as a challenge of sorts whether it's personal or a goal etc. Shock value you get in Saw.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I mean, everybody is entertained differently. Some people are all about story, others action, some dialogue, cinematography, special effects, etc. We live in an age where everybody thinks they're a critic because they have a platform to express their views, and I think people are often hyper-critical simply because they can be, and opinions are extreme because there's access to probably way more entertainment and information than we could possibly need. And it gets a reaction. And people often fail to take context into account. And especially in the case of "legacy" movies, many of us have high (some would say unreasonable) expectations, in some cases.

But it's whatever, we're all entitled to our opinions, we all have a movie or a song or a show that we think is the greatest of all time and there's somebody else out there who thinks it's terrible.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• There was a title crawl and OG John Williams in the Prequels... they ruined everything and the further we get away from them the better.

Rogue One stands a really excellent movie on its own. It didn't need a title a crawl or the OG score to make it great.

It was gritty and it showed that the Rebels were not perfect and they were not always viewed or acted in the way we saw in the original Trilogy. This makes their stand a more happy-coincidence, which I am totally cool with. Makes the OG Star Wars that much cooler; something the Prequels actually tarnished.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

• I have every SW movie on my DVR and have been immensely enjoying watching them over the last week since seeing RO this past Saturday. Even the TPM had its moments and honestly Episodes 1 and II would have been much more tolerable without Jar Jar Binks. The only prequel that was truly good was EIII and it was only 1/2 the movie. The Padme/Anakin love story just sucked and could have been so much better. I don't know who is to blame(directing?screenwriting?acting?)but there was NO chemistry between the characters. The Obi-Wan/Anakin fight/downfall was awesome to me.
    Anyways, I watched EVII last night. I still say it was an awesome movie and I LOVED the new characters minus Kylo Ren(Ben Solo). Rey/Finn and Poe were great to me. I am hoping that in the next movie Kylo develops more but as a bad guy he was just kind of 'meh'..Then again, not everyone can be Darth Vader bad.
    Another thing about the movie; Max Von Sydow looks as old as he did as the Exorcist. :laugh:
    Rogue One: CGI for Tarkin was awesome. The actor who portrayed him was a Peter Cushing voice clone. Considering that I really 'know' Cushing's voice due to my obsession with old horror movies, I was almost fooled. CGI for Leia was bad and could have been done better IMO.
    Ok...My nerdy ranting is done for now.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• I've never really watched Star Wars..... I think I watched part of the first one.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:I've never really watched Star Wars..... I think I watched part of the first one.

Now's a good time to start ;)
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:I've never really watched Star Wars..... I think I watched part of the first one.

So you're that one person.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

• I honestly didnt even realize Tarkin was CG. I thought they just had a similiar looking actor portraying him with makeup on. I assume that people who thought he looked fake knew in advance that he was CGI and were subconciously looking for flaws? I did notice something off about Leia, again tthought it was a different actress who just didnt look right, but her scene was so quick that I couldnt put my finger on what was off.

I loved the movie. I don't know if people were expecting an attempt at a classic saga, but I knew going in that this was not that. Its an espionage/war epic set in the Star Wars universe. I loved that everyone died at the end, they didnt shy away from the fact that sacrifices had to be made for the rebellion, and that the odds they were facing in that battle were insurmountable. They didnt come up with some contrived B.S. escape from a planet with a force field and an empire fleet surrounding it. It was fantastic.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I've never really watched Star Wars..... I think I watched part of the first one.

So you're that one person.

Haha yes I am.

Some of the reactions I get when I tell people that I've never seen Star Wars are hilarious.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:27 pm

Agree. Zero character development. Overstuffed. Rushed. Poor acting throughout. Really, really cheeseball lines. "The Force is with me. I am with the Force." Repeated a bajillion times. Zero suspense since we know from the start that they accomplish their mission. Utterly pointless movie.

Star Wars is rich in lore and is virtually limitless in the new narratives it could spawn. Why the hell do they keep rehashing the Death Star plot? It's passed boring at this point.

Go see Hacksaw Ridge at the dollar theater and remind yourselves what makes good cinema.
    "It was so loud Derrick Coleman heard it."
    Thunderhawk
    NET Veteran

• 1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Star Wars
    3. Rogue one
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7.Critters 3
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. Catwoman
    10. The phantom menace
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

• storm74 wrote:1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Star Wars
    3. Rogue one
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7.Critters 3
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. Catwoman
    10. The phantom menace

Co-sign. :2thumbs:
    :laugh:
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• storm74 wrote:1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Star Wars
    3. Rogue one
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7.Critters 3
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. Catwoman
    10. The phantom menace

Attack of the Clones is overrated. No joke, The Phantom Menace, which is bad, no denial, is a fundamentally better film than Attack of the Clones. Liam Neeson was effectively traded out for Hayden Christiansen. This is a massive loss.
    "Game over, man! Game over!"

RIP Bill Paxton, 1955-2017
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• 1. A New Hope
    2. The Force Awakens
    3. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Rogue One
    7. Revenge of the Sith
    8. Attack of the Clones
    Do you like curry? - Gareth Keenan
    DYLcurry59
    NET Veteran

• Enjoyed the movie in IMAX 3D. Roland is out of his mind.
    Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• DYLcurry59 wrote:1. A New Hope
    2. The Force Awakens
    3. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Rogue One
    7. Revenge of the Sith
    8. Attack of the Clones

Extra points for creativity.