Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Uncle Phil donates $500 million more to University of Oregon

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • And it has nothing to do with the athletic programs. He is THE man.

Phil and Penny Knight have donated $500 million to the University of Oregon to create the Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact.
    According to a news release sent by the university Monday evening, the gift is the largest ever to a public flagship university.
    The campus will consist of three new buildings at the northwest corner of Franklin Boulevard, and will drive $80 million in annual economic activity with 750 family-wage jobs once it's fully operational.

http://katu.com/news/local/phil-knight- ... -of-oregon
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I'll admit I have no idea who this guy is but that's flat out amazing.
    Nothinbutm
    NET Veteran

• Phil Knight. Owns Nike, went to Oregon and then built an empire by selling overpriced shoes to people who can least afford them, built by child labor in very poor countries. What a great example!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• Good on him. Maybe that money will help raise their academic standards. Probably not.

How do you get an Oregon grad to leave your house? You pay them for the pizza. :)

In all seriousness, though, you can't say Phil Knight has done nothing for his community. He could choose to sit on that money for ages but instead cut a sizeable check to U of O. He's going to be claiming that one on his tax returns for years to come.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• GeekHawk wrote:Phil Knight. Owns Nike, went to Oregon and then built an empire by selling overpriced shoes to people who can least afford them, built by child labor in very poor countries. What a great example!

Yep. Terrible guy. In total he's donated almost a billion dollars to University of Oregon (both athletically and acadamically). If you include donations that he's made to Oregon Health and Sciences University and to Stanford it gets close to $2 billion that he's donated to higher learning institutions. Truly a horrible example of a man.

Now... hopefully he'll but us a new football coach...
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Here are some major contributions from Phil Knight and his wife, Penny Knight:

Oregon Health & Science University: $725 million

2008: $100 million to advance cancer research, now called the Knight Cancer Institute

2012: $125 million to establish the OHSU Knight Cardiovascular Institute

2015: $500 million for the cancer institute, after OHSU found $500 million in matching funds from the state and private donors

University of Oregon: $797 million

1994: $27 million to renovate the campus library, now called the Knight Library

1996: $10 million for the University of Oregon School of Law, creating The William W. Knight Law Center. Another $15 million the same year to create 27 Knight Endowed Chairs and Professorships

2002: $30 million toward renovation of the university's football stadium, Autzen Stadium

2010: $41.7 million for an athletic tutoring center, The John E. Jaqua Academic Center for Student Athletes, named for the late UO alumnus and founding board member of Nike

2011: $100 million to help finance construction of the school's new basketball venue, Matthew Knight Arena, named for the Knights' late son

2013: $5 million to improve accessibility at Autzen Stadium and $68 million to build a new football training facility

2016: A $500 million commitment to establish a new applied sciences research center

Stanford University: $505 million

2006: $105 million to establish the Knight Management Center at the Stanford Graduate School of Business.

2016: $400 million to start a global scholarship program, the Knight-Hennessy Scholars Program, to attract leaders from around the world to graduate studies at Stanford.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/inde ... _big-photo
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Phil Knight is one of those guys that does great things that benefit the entire world, but people look for reasons to hate him. Good for him.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Sensitive much?
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• I have nothing to add here except:

Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:I have nothing to add here except:

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Well after they Laundry that money thru the projects loophole who do you think they will go after as a New Head Coach, they have the resources now. :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Well after they Laundry that money thru the projects loophole who do you think they will go after as a New Head Coach, they have the resources now. :)

Chip Kelly.

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/ ... -to-swirl/
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• JSeahawks wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Well after they Laundry that money thru the projects loophole who do you think they will go after as a New Head Coach, they have the resources now. :)

Chip Kelly.

Great, then he can add to his total ZERO championships in anything! :stirthepot:
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Well after they Laundry that money thru the projects loophole who do you think they will go after as a New Head Coach, they have the resources now. :)

Chip Kelly.

Great, then he can add to his total ZERO championships in anything! :stirthepot:

I gotta take that from uw fans, but wsu? Nah.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• JSeahawks wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:

Chip Kelly.

I gotta take that from uw fans, but wsu? Nah.

Hey, at least I'm not delusional about where my team stands.

760 days. :stirthepot:
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:

Chip Kelly.

Well that would figure. Given the 49ers record and this other story

Report says 49ers GM Trent Baalke is safe for the season

You have to wonder, if Baalke goes so will Kelly, very few GM'S will strap him to their back at this point, also whenever they say someone is safe somewhere it typically means there were discussions of firing at some point in someplace.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• JSeahawks wrote:

Chip Kelly.

I've predicted this for awhile now. Niners are a dumpster fire and Oregon needs a new head coach. The math adds up.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Knight and Kelly created the perfect storm in Oregon of insane world class facilities, 4 billion uniform combos cause kids love that crap..........and Kelly's innovative tempo spread offense.

But that's history. 80% of college programs in the country run that offense now, and every college has already or is upgrading their facilities and doing the uniform combo thing.

So Uncle Phil can donate every last dollar to Oregon, but it's not going to result in their football program ever getting back to that level. They can still be good, but never that dominant.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• That's an amazing amount of money to give to a University. I guess it's a good use of funds if you have the extra money to give. There are much worse ways to spend money than that.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:34 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information