Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Thanks Nintendo!

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Thanks Nintendo!
Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:33 pm
  • Thanks Nintendo, for drastically underestimating the demand for your new NES Classic console. I can't wait to play it .... *after* the holidays! Oh, wait, I have other options? I can pay 4x retail price to some scalper on eBay? Cool! Or, I can camp outside a Target store starting at 3 am for their 8am opening after I get word that it *might* be getting 3 in stock that day? Gee, that sounds awesome! Thanks Nintendo.

Sincerely,
    One pissed off (former) fan

PS: I know about emulators. Not interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Starter

Re: Thanks Nintendo!
Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:44 pm
  • James in PA wrote:Thanks Nintendo, for drastically underestimating the demand for your new NES Classic console. I can't wait to play it .... *after* the holidays! Oh, wait, I have other options? I can pay 4x retail price to some scalper on eBay? Cool! Or, I can camp outside a Target store starting at 3 am for their 8am opening after I get word that it *might* be getting 3 in stock that day? Gee, that sounds awesome! Thanks Nintendo.

Sincerely,

Nintendo didn't drastically underestimate anything. They've created artificial scarcity with their products for years trying to raise interest in their products, whether with game releases, special edition consoles, amiibo, or the NES Classic. They are the Disney Vault of the gaming world, and they also can't seem to understand how their business models are abused on the secondhand market. There was a game store in Pennsylvania that preordered 90 NES Classics knowing the demand that would exist. Nintendo shipped them 2. One went to the AVGN for Cinemassacre.com.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:05 pm
  • I remember when they got busted for creating a fake shortage of N64 games back in the day. Nothing new for them as Maulbert pointed out, lol.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:01 pm
  • James in PA wrote:Thanks Nintendo, for drastically underestimating the demand for your new NES Classic console. I can't wait to play it .... *after* the holidays! Oh, wait, I have other options? I can pay 4x retail price to some scalper on eBay? Cool! Or, I can camp outside a Target store starting at 3 am for their 8am opening after I get word that it *might* be getting 3 in stock that day? Gee, that sounds awesome! Thanks Nintendo.

Sincerely,

Tough ****?

They don't owe you anything.

I'll never understand the entitlement people feel towards private corporations and that they somehow owe them something.
    SeaToTheHawks
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:29 pm
  • SeaToTheHawks wrote:
    Tough ****?

I'll never understand the entitlement people feel towards private corporations and that they somehow owe them something.

Actually, they do. Without gaming "nerds" there would be no Nintendo, or any other console system.
    Annual Adopt a Rookie: Vannett
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:09 am
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    SeaToTheHawks wrote:
    Tough ****?

Actually, they do. Without gaming "nerds" there would be no Nintendo, or any other console system.

This belongs back in the old forum, mmmm, what was it called?
    “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:14 am
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    SeaToTheHawks wrote:
    Tough ****?

No. They still don't owe those "nerds" (your words not mine. I like video games btw) anything.

Is it smart business? Maybe yes, maybe no. Obviously they think it is. You still aren't entitled to them releasing large quantities so that you're ensured of getting one.
    SeaToTheHawks
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:34 am
  • SeaToTheHawks wrote:No. They still don't owe those "nerds" (your words not mine. I like video games btw) anything.

Is it smart business? Maybe yes, maybe no. Obviously they think it is. You still aren't entitled to them releasing large quantities so that you're ensured of getting one.

Artificial scarcity laws exist in some areas. Not video games, obviously; but don't act like no private business is ever allowed to offer only what they want, because that's not unilaterally true.

Also, it's the right of the consumers to say screw you, Nintendo; and spend their money elsewhere. :) Nintendo is not the juggernaut it once was, and part of that they can definitely blame on themselves.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:37 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    SeaToTheHawks wrote:No. They still don't owe those "nerds" (your words not mine. I like video games btw) anything.

Artificial scarcity laws exist in some areas. Not video games, obviously; but don't act like no private business is ever allowed to offer only what they want, because that's not unilaterally true.

Also, it's the right of the consumers to say screw you, Nintendo; and spend their money elsewhere. :) Nintendo is not the juggernaut it once was, and part of that they can definitely blame on themselves.

Of course the consumer can say screw you and spend money elsewhere. I guess the OP just came off more as entitled, whiny, and deserving.
    SeaToTheHawks
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:39 am
  • I laughed out loud at work when I read that OP is a (former) fan of Nintendo.

This is nothing new for Nintendo. They almost always limit the supply on their new hardware. They think, for some odd reason, that it makes their products more desirable and more valuable. They have their reasoning and belief. It honestly just screws over customers who want to purchase their goods from day one and not get scalped on second hand markets.

Both the company and consumer have their choices of what to do in this case. Consumers don't have to buy and companies don't have to supply, but it's laughable that one would lose all fandom in Nintendo for not being able to purchase a $60 niche product right away.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:50 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:it's laughable that one would lose all fandom in Nintendo for not being able to purchase a $60 niche product right away.

On the other hand, it's not laughable at all if one has been dealing with this crap from Nintendo for many years and this became the final straw.

Just sayin'.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:51 am
  • James in PA wrote:PS: I know about emulators. Not interested.

The NES Classic is an emulator, and offers no improvement in playability over an emulator you can download on your PC for free, especially since you can buy a USB NES controller to play the games on. The only thing it really offers is a case that looks like a mini version of the original NES.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:03 am
  • Along with an easy way to hook it up to any TV without requiring any configuration whatsoever...Convenience matters for many. Just sayin'. Plus, nostalgia is real. :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:24 pm
  • SeaToTheHawks wrote:
    Of course the consumer can say screw you and spend money elsewhere. I guess the OP just came off more as entitled, whiny, and deserving.

Stop being so bloody confrontational when reading posts, you'll have more fun here. I'd wager a lot of people never saw the OP in the same light you did.

:irishdrinkers:
    Annual Adopt a Rookie: Vannett
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:39 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    James in PA wrote:PS: I know about emulators. Not interested.

The NES Classic is an emulator, and offers no improvement in playability over an emulator you can download on your PC for free, especially since you can buy a USB NES controller to play the games on. The only thing it really offers is a case that looks like a mini version of the original NES.

Drop the mic and step away slowly.
    SeaToTheHawks
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:16 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    SeaToTheHawks wrote:

Stop being so bloody confrontational when reading posts, you'll have more fun here. I'd wager a lot of people never saw the OP in the same light you did.

:irishdrinkers:

Set up a poll.

I saw a whiner who didn't get their toy when they wanted it.

:les:
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:47 pm
  • SeaToTheHawks wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    SeaToTheHawks wrote:No. They still don't owe those "nerds" (your words not mine. I like video games btw) anything.

Stop trolling dude. It's a legitimate gripe. Nintendo either did this intentionally or else badly underestimated demand. Either way, people damn sure have a right to be pissed.

James in PA
    NET Starter

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:57 pm
  • James in PA wrote:
    SeaToTheHawks wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

Stop trolling dude. It's a legitimate gripe. Nintendo either did this intentionally or else badly underestimated demand. Either way, people damn sure have a right to be pissed.

People can be pissed. Sure. But they don't have a right to the system at a guaranteed price. If holding back supply is what Nintendo wants to do then that's their choice. They don't owe you not to.
    SeaToTheHawks
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:01 pm
  • DTexHawk wrote:I saw a whiner who didn't get their toy when they wanted it.

Reminds me of someone who used to whine every time someone mentioned downloading an MP3 or a movie. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:50 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:I saw a whiner who didn't get their toy when they wanted it.

Reminds me of someone who used to point out every time someone mentioned illegally pirating an MP3 or a movie. ;)

FIFY

Another example of a youngster not being able to get what they want through legitimate channels, so they resort to thievery.

;)
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:10 am
  • SeaToTheHawks wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:

Drop the mic and step away slowly.

Yep. $45 Raspberry Pi with case, $25 for two SNES USB reproduction controllers, $10 for high speed SD card, and a few hours scrounging for ROMS. Not much investment to play almost every 8 and 16 bit game in existence.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:38 pm
  • The NES Classic has better emulation than other Nintendo released games on Wii, Wii U and 3DS. That's one big factor with three different displays, CRT, 4:3 upscale and pixel perfect.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:53 pm
  • I might pick up a NES Classic when they become available again, just because the price is so low, but I think in the long run I'll be grabbing one of these AVS machines by RetroUSB. Saw them at the Retro Gaming Expo last year before the consoles had become available and their demos were really impressive. Definitely a higher price tag but most likely worth it.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:22 pm
  • sammyc521 wrote:The NES Classic has better emulation than other Nintendo released games on Wii, Wii U and 3DS. That's one big factor with three different displays, CRT, 4:3 upscale and pixel perfect.

It's not any better than the emulation you can get on your computer, but yes this is true.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:26 pm
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:I saw a whiner who didn't get their toy when they wanted it.

Reminds me of someone who used to point out every time someone mentioned illegally pirating an MP3 or a movie. ;)

FIFY

Another example of a youngster not being able to get what they want through legitimate channels, so they resort to thievery.

;)

That reminds me that I need to "go to the store and legally purchase" this new TV series I've been wanting to see.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:03 pm
  • DTexHawk wrote:FIFY

;)

Yeah, except that what they want is completely legitimate, feasible, and reasonable; but the big corporations filled with old farts who can't fathom changes in technology and understand ways to monetize in a new era purposely withhold things that are beneficial to everyone.

You'd be singing a different tune if something you use was purposely made illegal for absolutely no legitimate reason except through a very limited and restrictively controlled means for arbitrary reasons that are factually wrong.

Now go ahead and disagree while everyone knows the real truth.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:21 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:FIFY

;)

Yeah, except that what they want is completely legitimate, feasible, and reasonable; but the big corporations filled with old farts who can't fathom changes in technology and understand ways to monetize in a new era purposely withhold things that are beneficial to everyone.

You'd be singing a different tune if something you use was purposely made illegal for absolutely no legitimate reason except through a very limited and restrictively controlled means for arbitrary reasons that are factually wrong.

Now go ahead and disagree while everyone knows the real truth.

I wonder how DTex would feel about the toll lanes on 405.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:10 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I wonder how DTex would feel about the toll lanes on 405.

Well, from his point of view, if a corporation can get away with it then it's legit.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:15 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:

Yup. It's no different than a Raspberry Pi except that it's less powerful, locked-down to the 30 games they specifically chose to license for it, and has comically short controller cords. I think they're even shorter than the original Famicom's. The only 'benefit' of getting one is purely for the aesthetic of the console. You can spend the same amount and play tens of thousands of games from dozens of systems on RetroPie, even PS1 titles.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:58 pm
  • The haters in here are ignoring one thing:

Nostalgia is a real emotion.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:39 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:The haters in here are ignoring one thing:

Hate to say it my young friend....Nostalgia is not an emotion.....It evokes an emotional response to a perceived pre-existence that was enjoyable. A joy that can not be shared unless you have shared it previously.

Be happy. There is worse out there than me.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:45 am
  • If you look up the definition of "emotion," you'll see that you're wrong, Seahawkfan80. :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:52 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:The haters in here are ignoring one thing:

I'm all about nostalgia...but I get my nostalgia from playing the games. The NES mini replica case is really just a decoration. If it was important to me, I would just buy a model one off ebay for cheap and set it somewhere close by while I play. But it's not really my thing.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:34 pm
  • James in PA wrote:
    SeaToTheHawks wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

Nintendo knew what they were doing for sure. I want one bad too because I wanna just play Punch Out all day on Christmas like I did back in the 90s when I got the original version.
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:06 am
  • It's very true, this latest NES mini is just an emulator and from what I've seen a rather poor one at that (with the addition of limited games). Sluggish control on it is really nothing like the real thing. I would go PC emu as suggested, or even better collect the original and games.

I was an intellivision fan back in the day (have 2 INtv II's and a Super Video Arcade version + voice module + carts and overlays. Playing emu versions of these pale in comparison for example (plus its more fun to show the real thing to others than emu).
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:08 am
  • Except getting the original hardware and games can be difficult, expensive, and you still need a CRT to hook it up.

A Raspberry Pi is no bigger than a pager and has enough horsepower to emulate N64 and PS1 games.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:05 am
  • And they're at it again with a SNES mini for $80... :roll:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/26/1587 ... -announced

Contra III: The Alien Wars
    Donkey Kong Country
    EarthBound
    Final Fantasy III
    F-ZERO
    Kirby Super Star
    Kirby’s Dream Course
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Mega Man X
    Secret of Mana
    Star Fox
    Star Fox 2
    Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
    Super Castlevania IV
    Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    Super Mario World
    Super Metroid
    Super Punch-Out!!
    Yoshi’s Island
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:43 am
  • Should have left out Star Fox (terrible) and Yoshi's Island (game for 5 year olds) and included DKC2 and 3.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:35 pm
  • It all comes down to licensing and what they're willing to pay the developers or current license holders for the rights. It sucks that there's not a single legit sports game since 16-bit is when those really started to take off. They'd be lifeless anyway due to generic rosters and teams from expired licensing agreements. No NBA Jam, no Ken Griffey Jr, no NHL, no Madden...wtf.

Star Fox and Yoshi's Island are interesting though, since both carts had the FX chip which took several years and over $10K for hobbyists to reverse-engineer it so that it could be properly emulated. I wonder how Nintendo went about getting it to work if they didn't just rip off the code from open-source emulators. And then Star Fox 2, which was never even finished or released.

I'll stick with my no-restrictions RetroPie while people wait in lines for hours only to be disappointed when the artificially-shortened supply runs out or they overpay online to help scalpers make profit.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:38 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Should have left out Star Fox (terrible) and Yoshi's Island (game for 5 year olds) and included DKC2 and 3.

Yoshi's Island > DKC 2 & 3
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:03 pm
  • Street Fighter II, Mario Kart, and DKC. I'm sold. If they don't have an artificial shortage again, that is.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:07 pm
  • I would define both Super Metroid and Mega Man X as 'perfect games'.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:48 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:Should have left out Star Fox (terrible) and Yoshi's Island (game for 5 year olds) and included DKC2 and 3.

This is the worst opinion I've ever seen. DKC2 is the best platformer on the SNES, and Yoshi's Island is factually a game for young children.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:20 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:Should have left out Star Fox (terrible) and Yoshi's Island (game for 5 year olds) and included DKC2 and 3.

This is the worst opinion I've ever seen. DKC2 is the best platformer on the SNES, and Yoshi's Island is factually a game for young children.

http://www.ign.com/lists/snes-games/7

http://www.ign.com/lists/snes-games/16

http://www.ign.com/lists/snes-games/28

http://www.ign.com/lists/snes-games/58

Besides, you like Dark Souls. Your opinion of video games is on record for being poor.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:23 pm
  • That's one guy's list. My list would be different. So would yours.

I think I'm seeing a pattern here. Yoshi's Island is like the easiest game on the SNES. I seriously beat it without dying once when I was barely 10, and thought it was laughably easy at that age and was embarrassed to say I even owned the game. Seriously, if nobody has ever played the game, just imagine a game that's only very slightly more difficult than just needing your character to walk in a straight line to beat a level.

Dark Souls, however, is considered to be a more difficult game. And you don't like it? Sounds like you just like easy games.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:43 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:That's one guy's list. My list would be different. So would yours.

I think I'm seeing a pattern here. Yoshi's Island is like the easiest game on the SNES. I seriously beat it without dying once when I was barely 10, and thought it was laughably easy at that age and was embarrassed to say I even owned the game. Seriously, if nobody has ever played the game, just imagine a game that's only very slightly more difficult than just needing your character to walk in a straight line to beat a level.

Dark Souls, however, is considered to be a more difficult game. And you don't like it? Sounds like you just like easy games.

Accusing me of liking only easy games? Real mature. Try pretty much any Fire Emblem game on lunatic. I've beaten 5 of them. Also, I will point out Super Metroid is my favorite SNES game. Plus, when did I say I disliked the DKC trilogy? I just said Yoshi's Island was better.

As to my dislike of Dark Souls, I don't like shitty games.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:38 pm
  • I guess I just don't see what's fun about a children's game (ages 4-7). Don't get me wrong. A children's game can be good. And that's fine...but a fully grown ass adult wanting to play a kids game? Why? Just seems odd to me. Do you watch Sesame Street as well? :stirthepot:

Oh, and IGN gave DS1-DS3 all at least 9s. Or is IGN suddenly not a credible source? Not sure why anyone would hate such a brilliantly designed game with the best controls of any modern game, period.

:179422:
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:03 pm
  • Are you sure you're not talking about Yoshi's Story? Because I've never heard anyone shit talk Yoshi's Island like you before. Yoshi's Story I'd agree with but not Yoshi's Island.

BTW, the GBA port of the original Yoshi's Island is higher than the entire Dark Souls trilogy on metacritic, for what it's worth. And got 9.1 from IGN. Your pretty much alone in your Yoshi's Island hate. I'm not alone on Dark Souls. A shit story, ugly world, tedious gameplay that rewards memorization, not skill.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:59 pm
  • No, i am talking about SMW2 Yoshi's Island.

And come on...skill *is* memorization!
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:40 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:And come on...skill *is* memorization!

No. I hate this mindset. Anybody can memorize things, that doesn't mean you're skilled at the utilization of them.

No game sums up my frustration about this as well as Starcraft. Memorize the right set of steps to follow based on the race you're playing, the race of your opponents, and what map you're on. You can then predict how the entire match progresses before it even starts. Who micro-manages the fastest? WOOHOO. Big deal.

You want skill? Make maps randomly generated in Starcraft including resource node locations and watch the entire professional gaming arena built around that game get thrown into chaos, because all of a sudden it's about real SKILL and being able to think on your feet and adapt quickly, not knowing ahead of time everything you need to do and just trying to be as efficient as possible in how quickly you do it.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Next

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:58 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information