Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Thanks Nintendo!

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Thanks Nintendo!
Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:51 pm
  • I can't think of one game that doesn't come down to memorizing a process, and then executing that process.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:38 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:I can't think of one game that doesn't come down to memorizing a process, and then executing that process.

That depends on how you define "process." Having a predefined set of steps to follow that doesn't change based on initial conditions is a hell of a lot different than a situation where one must regularly change tactics and adapt to conditions that vary throughout the game/match.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:49 am
  • Okay, and considering that in Dark Souls there are tons of different ways to equip and build your character, and that enemies don't fight the exact same way every time, plus the fact there's PVP...I really don't understand why anyone would consider it to be more memorization based than almost any other game.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:50 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:Are you sure you're not talking about Yoshi's Story? Because I've never heard anyone shit talk Yoshi's Island like you before. Yoshi's Story I'd agree with but not Yoshi's Island.

BTW, the GBA port of the original Yoshi's Island is higher than the entire Dark Souls trilogy on metacritic, for what it's worth. And got 9.1 from IGN. Your pretty much alone in your Yoshi's Island hate. I'm not alone on Dark Souls. A shit story, ugly world, tedious gameplay that rewards memorization, not skill.

None of that compares to having to listen to the seemingly never-ending crying baby Mario in YI.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:29 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Are you sure you're not talking about Yoshi's Story? Because I've never heard anyone shit talk Yoshi's Island like you before. Yoshi's Story I'd agree with but not Yoshi's Island.

BTW, the GBA port of the original Yoshi's Island is higher than the entire Dark Souls trilogy on metacritic, for what it's worth. And got 9.1 from IGN. Your pretty much alone in your Yoshi's Island hate. I'm not alone on Dark Souls. A shit story, ugly world, tedious gameplay that rewards memorization, not skill.

None of that compares to having to listen to the seemingly never-ending crying baby Mario in YI.

And that's just it....the game is terrible enough without having to mention the crying baby. The crying baby is just the turd on the top.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:59 pm
  • It boggles my mind the things people bitch about anymore....
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:47 pm
  • Ambrose83 wrote:It boggles my mind the things people bitch about anymore....

We get it, you hate video games, you're only in this thread to feel superior for not playing them, so now that you've had your fix, please go away and don't come back.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:32 am
  • So going back to what we were discussing, let me ask you a question. Why do you consider a game like Dark Souls to be memorization based, but not a Mario Bros game? Any single-player experience with fixed environments and enemies is going to be memorization based, no? The original Ninja Gaiden, for example...you have to learn how to get past each specific part (memorization), and then you have to actually do it (execution). That's no different than Dark Souls. Maybe you hate that game too? Help me understand where you're coming from.

I would assume that means you also dislike turn-based RPGs like Final Fantasy? Because those are just memorization, too. How do I kill this guy? Oh yeah, have Cloud cast Fire on him over and over while Aeris heals me. It also don't require you to have any sort of timing or rhythm to the buttons you press because it's all menu-based, so those games would actually be worse. You can say "oh, but you explore stuff, and talk to people, etc", but you do all that in Dark Souls as well.

This goes for you too, Roland. Any game requires memorization. Even your StarCraft example. If the maps were randomly generated, then people would just memorize different stuff. So instead of memorizing "Oh, I'm on this map, therefore I need to start building this over here, and mining that over there", they'd just memorize "Okay, I need to build a base near a decent amount of resources, then build my defenses around my farming operations, etc"...

Hell, the game of football is played on the size same field, with the same size ball, etc. And because of that, you see the same tactics being utilized. NFL players are just memorizing assignments and then executing them. Granted, there's some improvisation when things don't go according to plan...but does that not also happen in video games?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:53 pm
  • The vast majority of games require little to no improvisation. I don't think you understand what I mean. Of course every game requires memorizing at least SOME things. Forcing you to regularly change tactics based on real-time changing conditions that you can't just reference a cheat sheet to know the proper thing to do is a lot different than that; i.e., than Starcraft.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:38 pm
  • Splatfest for Splatoon 2 starts for US audiences at 3PM PST and runs for 4 hours.

#DontGetCookedStayOffTheHook

"Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:48 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:The vast majority of games require little to no improvisation. I don't think you understand what I mean. Of course every game requires memorizing at least SOME things. Forcing you to regularly change tactics based on real-time changing conditions that you can't just reference a cheat sheet to know the proper thing to do is a lot different than that; i.e., than Starcraft.

Well I can see how that applies to Starcraft. Not Dark Souls, though.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:15 am
  • Looks like they will be releasing more next summer...

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... 005798/en/

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Due to incredible demand for the upcoming Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system, Nintendo plans to ship the retro-inspired product into 2018. Originally, shipments were announced to cease at the end of this calendar year.

Next summer, Nintendo will also bring back the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition system with new shipments. More information about the timing of the return of NES Classic Edition will be announced in the future.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:40 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:Looks like they will be releasing more next summer...

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... 005798/en/

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Due to incredible demand for the upcoming Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system, Nintendo plans to ship the retro-inspired product into 2018. Originally, shipments were announced to cease at the end of this calendar year.

Next summer, Nintendo will also bring back the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition system with new shipments. More information about the timing of the return of NES Classic Edition will be announced in the future.

I still don't trust Nintendo to find their butts with both hands. They still operate like it's the 1980s, and my opinion of them is comparatively favorable to most.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:07 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Ambrose83 wrote:It boggles my mind the things people bitch about anymore....

We get it, you hate video games, you're only in this thread to feel superior for not playing them, so now that you've had your fix, please go away and don't come back.

Lol no.. I don't think I'm superior.. but that doesn't change how pathetic I find it to be that full grown adults have such a affinity to video games.
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:12 am
  • Ambrose83 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Ambrose83 wrote:It boggles my mind the things people bitch about anymore....

Lol no.. I don't think I'm superior.. but that doesn't change how pathetic I find it to be that full grown adults have such a affinity to video games.

You clearly lack the ability to consider any perspective not your own in an honest light. How big of a Seahawks fan are you? That's watching an entertainment game as an adult, and which is played by adults.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:08 pm
  • Mario Odyssey comes out on Friday. Haven't owned a Mario game in about 15 years...excited for this one.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:06 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Mario Odyssey comes out on Friday. Haven't owned a Mario game in about 15 years...excited for this one.

First core Mario game since Galaxy 2 in 2009. I liked what I played of the demo at Fred Meyers the other day. Had a real 64 vibe going on, but with a MUCH better camera.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:22 am
  • I'm a kid again. Super Mario Odyssey takes me back to the days I played Super Mario Bros. 3 and 64 on Saturday mornings. This game shames the Galaxy titles. I loved Breath of the Wild, and I prefer Zelda to Mario. Odyssey is the GOTY. End of story.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:51 am
  • Tempting for me to purchase...but I still haven't beat Zelda, and I've found that I tend to get bored with most single player games about halfway through. Still, though, it looks like a good game. Wish there wasn't so much cutesy childish stuff in their games (Zelda is guilty of this too), but at least the gameplay is solid.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:46 pm
  • They need to release it across multiple platforms.

We should start a petition to make platform exclusivity for software illegal.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:25 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:They need to release it across multiple platforms.

We should start a petition to make platform exclusivity for software illegal.

Either your joking, or you've never seen this comedic gold mine:

https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-co-ltd-port-smash-bros-4-to-the-psvita

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:50 pm
  • Lol, I have not seen that; and I know there's no chance at a petition like that succeeding, I was just stating my frustration with console exclusivity.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:58 am
  • Mario Odyssey is damn good. The first 10 minutes i was thinking to myself "i just wasted 60 dollars, no way am I gonna enjoy this"...then everything just got better and better. It's better than Zelda. It's awesome. I love it.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:27 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:It's better than Zelda.

That says it all.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information