The Netflix Shows Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
The Netflix Shows Thread
Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:22 pm
  • It seems like Netflix is releasing multiple new shows each month. What have you seen? What do you like? What didn't you like?

I don't think we need to talk about the obvious shows like Stranger Things and Orange Is The New Black. If you haven't seen them, watch them! I recently watched "Love" and "The OA." Both are really good.

Love is created by Judd Apatow, so if you like his type of movies (40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, etc.), you'll probably enjoy the show. The humor is great and the characters and stories are very relatable.

The OA is a sci-fi show and I found it very interesting. Overall I really enjoyed the show, but the finale could have been better. This show may not be for you, but watch the pilot and see if you like it. IMO, the pilot was one of the better pilots I've seen for a TV show.

Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Re: The Netflix Shows Thread
Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:37 pm
  • Narcos was good.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:24 pm
  • would love another season of Marco Polo or a 1000 Eyes spin off
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:21 am
  • Pretty sure I read that Marco Polo got cancelled.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:06 am
  • Orange is the New Black, Borgia(NOT The Borgias), Medici, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, The Killing, Shameless, The Get Down, Stranger Things, Narcos, Wentworth, Longmire, The Crown, mulitiple documentaries and movies.

Yeah, we HATE commercials on TV that much and DVR all our favorite shows just so we can fast forward through the damned things. If there are no shows to watch, we go straight to Netflix.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:47 am
  • Not a Netflix original but I enjoy Peaky Blinders
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:33 am
  • If you're a fan of animated sitcoms, F is for Family is very entertaining in that regard. Bill Burr's character is hilarious.
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise
    2016 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:49 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Not a Netflix original but I enjoy Peaky Blinders

I binged Peaky Blinders like no one's ever binged in their lives. Fantastic show.

Give credit to Netflix, they got smart and bought the rights to so many great BBC shows. My other favorites were The Fall, Broadchurch, Luther and show that went under the radar but has a super interesting premise with some great acting River.

If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:54 am
  • Loved Luther (last season was a mixed bag though). I'll certainly check out the others.

Peaky Blinders to me seems the very marvelous extent of what Netflix, Hulu, etc. can bring. Great show writing, setting and acting. So many big actors playing significant roles in a TV show is tremendous to watch. Hardy is exceptional.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:05 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Loved Luther (last season was a mixed bag though). I'll certainly check out the others.

Peaky Blinders to me seems the very marvelous extent of what Netflix, Hulu, etc. can bring. Great show writing, setting and acting. So many big actors playing significant roles in a TV show is tremendous to watch. Hardy is exceptional.

Hardy's amazing in Peaky..................so amazing the creator of Peaky Blinders has teamed up with Hardy and Ridley Scott and created a new show called Taboo, that starts in a couple weeks on FX. Looks like a BBC show, but FX picked it up.

What a time to be alive people!

Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:16 pm
  • For comedy, if you haven't already seen these series, I recommend:
    The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Brooklyn Nine Nine
    Palmegranite
    NET Rookie

Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:03 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Loved Luther (last season was a mixed bag though). I'll certainly check out the others.

Hardy's amazing in Peaky..................so amazing the creator of Peaky Blinders has teamed up with Hardy and Ridley Scott and created a new show called Taboo, that starts in a couple weeks on FX. Looks like a BBC show, but FX picked it up.

What a time to be alive people!

Holy monkeys, what a trailer too. I know what show I'm hyped for now.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:42 pm
  • Seahwkgal wrote:Orange is the New Black, Borgia(NOT The Borgias), Medici, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, The Killing, Shameless, The Get Down, Stranger Things, Narcos, Wentworth, Longmire, The Crown, mulitiple documentaries and movies.

Yeah, we HATE commercials on TV that much and DVR all our favorite shows just so we can fast forward through the damned things. If there are no shows to watch, we go straight to Netflix.

You forgot Fuller House.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:09 am
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    Seahwkgal wrote:Orange is the New Black, Borgia(NOT The Borgias), Medici, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, The Killing, Shameless, The Get Down, Stranger Things, Narcos, Wentworth, Longmire, The Crown, mulitiple documentaries and movies.

You forgot Fuller House.

I would rather watch the commercials. :pukeface:
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:57 am
  • Palmegranite wrote:For comedy, if you haven't already seen these series, I recommend:
    The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Brooklyn Nine Nine

Both good shows.

The IT crowd is a good one on NetFlix as wel
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:38 am

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:47 am
  • Oh yes, Black Mirror is a great one. I personally didn't like season one that much, but season 2 and 3 were great. The episode White Christmas with Jon Hamm was one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:30 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Narcos was good.

That was very good..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:17 pm
  • No House of Cards fans here? Love that show.
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:55 am
  • Rob12 wrote:No House of Cards fans here? Love that show.

I couldn't make it past season 2, not sure why cause I love Spacey and Buttercup.............I mean Robin Wright.

Well done show, but it just seemed like 60 minutes every week of Spacey doing his best Clinton impression mugging into the camera after backstabbing or manipulating someone.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:54 pm
  • Rob12 wrote:No House of Cards fans here? Love that show.

I forgot to include it in my list. My husband and I binge watched it and enjoyed it a great deal. I feel the show is somewhat a fictional representation of the Clinton Machine. :laugh:
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:44 am
  • Think that's true bill; re: the Underwoods being based on the Clintons. Thought that from the first season on.
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:37 pm
  • On Prime but too good to not mention is Man in the High Castle. I'm only 5 episodes into season one but it is very interesting to see how the world may have turned out if the Axis powers won WWII.

Also, The Grand Tour is good. I thought they were better when it was Top Gear but still fun to see those 3 limeys together driving fast cars and destroying shit.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:12 pm
  • Hawkmania, is that Amazon Prime you are talking about?
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:00 pm
  • Seahwkgal wrote:Hawkmania, is that Amazon Prime you are talking about?

Yeah.

They've also got another one that comes out next week starring Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) called Sneaky Pete, looks like he plays a mob boss.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:59 am
  • I digress: my daughter gave me a 5 DVD set of The IT Crowd, but I haven't watched it yet. I am also keen to try The Man in the High Castle. I love alternative history fiction!

Anyone read John Birmingham's Axis of Time trilogy? A 2020 fleet of Allied naval ships gets transported back to 1941, and is merged with the fleet heading to fight the Battle of Midway, but some of the ships fall into Axis hands...

I don't know if John Birmingham is well known in America, but he also wrote He Died with a Falafel in his Hand, which was made into quite a cult movie.

Or, has anyone read Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series? A lizard-like alien species invades Earth during WWII, and the humans have to try to settle their differences to fight them...
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:05 am
  • Ok, I have Amazon Prime and I started watching The Man In The HIgh Castle. F-ing great show so far!! I LOVE it.
    Thank god I have Amazon Prime. I binged watched Downton Abbey too. The only problem with Amazon is that my TV is possessed. I have a smartTV but if you use the main remote it will turn off. Then when it does that, it turns itself back on again. The only way you can turn the TV off is if you physically turn off the electricity(surge protector). It is the same way to turn the TV on. The only reason we can watch Netflix on our big TV is that it is enabled on our DISH remote. That seems to be a bypass so the TV doesn't hiccup. Sometimes it goes batty if you turn the volume up and down so we just control volume with the stereo instead. At least that is saving the TV speakers.
    This really sucks for Amazon Prime streaming because I watch Prime on my laptop but I am 100% sure that my husband would love this show and we cannot watch it on our current smartTV so basically he cannot watch it or should I say, he wont watch it on a computer. Not his style.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:45 pm
  • Seahwkgal wrote:Ok, I have Amazon Prime and I started watching The Man In The HIgh Castle. F-ing great show so far!! I LOVE it.
    Thank god I have Amazon Prime. I binged watched Downton Abbey too. The only problem with Amazon is that my TV is possessed. I have a smartTV but if you use the main remote it will turn off. Then when it does that, it turns itself back on again. The only way you can turn the TV off is if you physically turn off the electricity(surge protector). It is the same way to turn the TV on. The only reason we can watch Netflix on our big TV is that it is enabled on our DISH remote. That seems to be a bypass so the TV doesn't hiccup. Sometimes it goes batty if you turn the volume up and down so we just control volume with the stereo instead. At least that is saving the TV speakers.
    This really sucks for Amazon Prime streaming because I watch Prime on my laptop but I am 100% sure that my husband would love this show and we cannot watch it on our current smartTV so basically he cannot watch it or should I say, he wont watch it on a computer. Not his style.

I think Man in the High Castle is probably going to win some awards.

An easy fix for your amazon prime woes is to connect your laptop to your tv with an hdmi cable. If you have a fairly new laptop it should have at least one hdmi port and most flatscreen tvs have at least one also. I used to do this and it worked very well.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:36 pm
  • HAWKAMANIA wrote:
    Seahwkgal wrote:Ok, I have Amazon Prime and I started watching The Man In The HIgh Castle. F-ing great show so far!! I LOVE it.

I think Man in the High Castle is probably going to win some awards.

An easy fix for your amazon prime woes is to connect your laptop to your tv with an hdmi cable. If you have a fairly new laptop it should have at least one hdmi port and most flatscreen tvs have at least one also. I used to do this and it worked very well.

We have a cable for our computer to TV but it is now shot. Figures. Personally, I think it's time for new SmartTV. I prefer to use a remote for netflix/Amazon. TVs are not too expensive. The husband has been making some good bank lately and when the credit card is paid off I think I can twist his arm into getting another TV. He used his card for a brand new stove(we really needed it).
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:14 am
  • Any love for Bloodline on Netflix? Another fantastic show. Kyle Chandler is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:30 am
  • Rob12 wrote:Any love for Bloodline on Netflix? Another fantastic show. Kyle Chandler is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First season was amazing, second was good but couldn't quite sustain the story. So I guess the blessing and curse of Bloodline is that they had a fantastic idea for a show, but couldn't flesh it out over a normal 3-4 season run.

But yeah, we loved Bloodline, highly recommend it. Fantastic cast, especially Ben Mendelsohn.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:36 pm
  • Started watching Netflix's new show "A Series Of Unfortunate Events." Apparently it was a pretty big kids book, but I never read it. Watched the first few episodes and then decided to stop, it was just a little to PG for me. But it was well done, it just wasn't really for me. If you got a wife and kids, seems like a good show to sit down and watch with the whole family. NPH does a great job acting job.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:34 pm
  • Watch the first season of the magicians
    Me and my wife and son all binged that series in like four days and we NEVER do that
    Too bad it's only one season cuz it ends on a big cliffhanger
    Oh and by the way after the first 4 episodes it's not PG
    Thank god my sons old enough
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    hawxfreak
    NET Rookie

Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:51 pm
  • Finally got around to finishing The OA and thought it was really good. Like Hawk-Lock said, it's not very everyone, but it's a very intriguing story and watching the story and characters themselves unfold was very rewarding, at least for me. Can't wait to see the story continue if Netflix picks them up for more seasons.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:25 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Finally got around to finishing The OA and thought it was really good. Like Hawk-Lock said, it's not very everyone, but it's a very intriguing story and watching the story and characters themselves unfold was very rewarding, at least for me. Can't wait to see the story continue if Netflix picks them up for more seasons.

Liked the OA, just watched the whole 1st season of Stephen King's 12.22.60. Not Netflix but Hulu? I dunno, I watched it on 123movies.com for free. Really good and I am crazy attracted to the blonde female lead.
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:23 pm
  • hawxfreak wrote:Watch the first season of the magicians
    Me and my wife and son all binged that series in like four days and we NEVER do that

There is a second season currently airing on TV. Syfy channel.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:57 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Started watching Netflix's new show "A Series Of Unfortunate Events." Apparently it was a pretty big kids book, but I never read it. Watched the first few episodes and then decided to stop, it was just a little to PG for me. But it was well done, it just wasn't really for me. If you got a wife and kids, seems like a good show to sit down and watch with the whole family. NPH does a great job acting job.

The wife and I are watching this. It is very very well done. Patrick Warburton as Limony Snickets is great along with NPH, and the children do a great job as well.

I hope they keep going. I think there were 13 books, they covered 4 in season 1, 2 episodes each. So hopefully we'll get 2 more seasons.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:57 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Not a Netflix original but I enjoy Peaky Blinders

In the same vein, a BBC show that Netflix has the US rights to, is The Last Kingdom. I'm 2/3rds of the way through and it's excellent.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:09 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Not a Netflix original but I enjoy Peaky Blinders

In the same vein, a BBC show that Netflix has the US rights to, is The Last Kingdom. I'm 2/3rds of the way through and it's excellent.

The Last Kingdom flew under most people's radars. But if you like Game of Thrones or Vikings, you'll love Last Kingdom.

I've also read all the Saxon Tales books, of which the show is based on. So I'd highly recommend Cornwell's book series if you dig The Last Kingdom.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:40 pm
  • hawxfreak wrote:Watch the first season of the magicians

My husband and I just binge watched this over 2 evenings. I liken it to a very mature R rated Harry Potter. We loved it! BTW, I did not know they could f-bomb on cable TV that is not a premium channel. I have never heard that word on any other cable series on channels not called HBO/Showtime/Cinemax, etc. I guess the f-bombs are allowed on Syfy(Parents be warned).
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:26 am
  • Taboo on Fx is full of the f word.
    HawkDaHouse
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:30 am
  • HawkDaHouse wrote:Taboo on Fx is full of the f word.

I'm still trying to like Taboo. But as one of the shows I was most excited about in 2017, it hasn't lived up to my expectations for who's involved.

Hopefully it'll pick up.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Outlander
Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:09 pm
  • Recovering from the killer flu that's going around, watched 2 seasons Outlander. Anything time-travel plus + history, I'm in. Next season should be really interesting with the end of season 2 showing Claire discovering Jamie is still alive 20 years after she passed through the stones.
    Last edited by sondevil89 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:44 pm
  • Not Netflix, but anybody watching The Young Pope?
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:12 am
  • Bump...

Through 5 episodes of Stranger Things and love it
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:16 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Not Netflix, but anybody watching The Young Pope?

I tried to get into it, but it's just too out there for my TV sensibilities.

Jude Law is amazing, I'll give the show that.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:56 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    HawkDaHouse wrote:Taboo on Fx is full of the f word.

I'm still trying to like Taboo. But as one of the shows I was most excited about in 2017, it hasn't lived up to my expectations for who's involved.

Hopefully it'll pick up.

Seems like FX has stopped caring about language. Always Sunny has a few episodes this season with F's and C's. Atlanta (awesome show BTW, just finished catching up) is too.

Not a show, but looks like Netflix snagged upcoming Scorsese/Pacino/De Niro/Pesci film "The Irishman"
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:58 am
  • mistaowen wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Hopefully it'll pick up.

Seems like FX has stopped caring about language. Always Sunny has a few episodes this season with F's and C's. Atlanta (awesome show BTW, just finished catching up) is too.

FX has allowed language for quite some time. Louie, Justified, The Shield, Rescue Me.........and The League especially has been raunching up FX for more than a decade.

IMO that's a good thing, the more the lines get blurred between premium channels and cable channels the more talented people who don't like their writing and content edited get chances to do good TV.

btw, this very thing is why network TV is terrible and dying. Too many suits and dinosaur execs telling writers, directors and producers to water down the product cause it might make grandma in Iowa write a nasty letter threatening to boycott General Mills cause she heard someone say a naughty word.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:47 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Hopefully it'll pick up.

FX has allowed language for quite some time. Louie, Justified, The Shield, Rescue Me.........and The League especially has been raunching up FX for more than a decade.

IMO that's a good thing, the more the lines get blurred between premium channels and cable channels the more talented people who don't like their writing and content edited get chances to do good TV.

btw, this very thing is why network TV is terrible and dying. Too many suits and dinosaur execs telling writers, directors and producers to water down the product cause it might make grandma in Iowa write a nasty letter threatening to boycott General Mills cause she heard someone say a naughty word.

Oh I know, they've been plenty vulgar I just don't think they were okay with a select few words. I don't think any of their shows allowed it until recent seasons (could be wrong - SoA occasionally?). I agree though, it's always been weird to me how cable networks are cool with violence, death, etc but draw the line at words. Censored Negan on TWD....

I can't imagine a show like Shameless watered down, it's what makes it so unique.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:15 pm
  • Blame Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake, Networks as in the big three have been pussies ever since the wardrobe malfunction.

I'm sure these days Angie Dickenson would be asked to cover up her cleavage on Police Women also.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Next

It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:12 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information