Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The Netflix Shows Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: The Netflix Shows Thread
Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:49 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Yeah I want to check out Ozark, I've heard good things, I'm a pretty big fan of Jason Bateman.

He's great, so is Laura Linney as his wife. Bateman is the producer and directed half the episodes btw. Even in serious roles, he still has that sarcastic sardonic sense of humor edge that cracks me up.

Watched episode one tonight. Great start. And a great bad guy.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:37 am
  • I'm about four episodes in on Ozark and it is pretty good. I thought the pilot was great, easily the best episode so far. The last couple episodes seem like they are dragging a bit, but I'm still enjoying it a lot.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:08 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I'm about four episodes in on Ozark and it is pretty good. I thought the pilot was great, easily the best episode so far. The last couple episodes seem like they are dragging a bit, but I'm still enjoying it a lot.

Really?

I feel like it might be moving too fast, there's a lot of plot arcs going on all at once right from the get go. You got the ex partner's story, the wife's lover and his son now, the daughter hooking up with the hillbillie clan, the strip club owner's story, the gay FBI detective, the son and his creepy thing going on with the guns and homeowner who's dying, the crooked cop, the restaurant/resort owner chick and her backstory, the white trash girl and her plot vs now being loyal to Marty.

There's LOT going on.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:02 pm
  • Spoiler alert?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:10 pm
  • I just finished this show last night. Loved it!! Highly recommend it to everyone. I will not give up any spoilers, unlike someone else. ;)
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:19 am
  • Seahwkgal wrote:I just finished this show last night. Loved it!! Highly recommend it to everyone. I will not give up any spoilers, unlike someone else. ;)

All the stuff I mentioned happened in the first two episodes and were just basic plot overviews. C'mon.

We're up to episode 7, and while Ozark is still a great show, some of the story lines have VERY convenient and easy actions by the characters to push the plots forward. Sometimes too easy and convenient.

Just a little nitpick, but still something that is a little irritating.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:00 am
  • Watched all 10 episodes. Good show. I like how it has a serious plot, but that the show doesn't take itself too seriously. There's funny scenes, craziness, etc. It's like a much faster moving Breaking Bad. As always, the characters, acting, and directorial work make this a good show. The plot/story always takes a backseat when it comes to how good a TV show or movie is...in my opinion.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:10 am
  • Excellent show. On episode 10. Love it.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:46 am
  • The Defenders is out now!!! We will be binge watching at some point this weekend.
    :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:28 pm
  • Seahwkgal wrote:The Defenders is out now!!! We will be binge watching at some point this weekend.
    :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

I have two more episodes of Twin Peaks left, then it's Defenders Time!

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:56 pm
  • Saw Defenders over the weekend. Decent and better than Luke Cage and Iron Fist imo.
    L.O.B.
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:58 am
  • Death note looks like it might be good
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:39 am
  • I'm 4 episodes in with the Defenders, and it's just OK for me. Some VERY ham fisted dialogue and every fight scene so far has been the same...........25 Hand idiots with machine guns who apparently took shooting lessons from Stevie Wonder, who then decide to drop their guns and charge the Defenders to get their asses kicked.

It's fun to see all the heroes together, but like the Avengers it's mostly one liners, arguing with each other and a confusing muddled plot.

I much prefer the stand alone series where the writers have a chance to really flesh out the dialogue and characters.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:40 am
  • Yeah Defenders is okay. Enjoyable enough but something is missing. I am currently watching Limitless. Enjoyable show. I assume it's not a Netflix Original though as it has a mainstream network feel to it. Still good.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:00 am
  • Aros wrote:Yeah Defenders is okay. Enjoyable enough but something is missing. I am currently watching Limitless. Enjoyable show. I assume it's not a Netflix Original though as it has a mainstream network feel to it. Still good.

I did not enjoy Defenders very much, thought the writing was super lazy and contrived, like they were just going through the motions. I much prefer the stand alone character series. I don't care if they do another season.

I would like to recommend Atypical though, REALLY good new series. Reminds me of the John Hugh's movies, some very honest, clever and funny writing.........which is hard to find these days. Not easy to write honest dialogue between teenager to teenager, and teenager to parent. Great cast, highly recommended, great for the wifey and kids too (older kids).

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:27 am
  • Aros wrote:Yeah Defenders is okay. Enjoyable enough but something is missing. I am currently watching Limitless. Enjoyable show. I assume it's not a Netflix Original though as it has a mainstream network feel to it. Still good.

I just finished Defenders the other day and it was definitely mediocre. Entertaining in ways, but seems to be not written all that well. The best thing about it (IMO) was the ending and the opening it left for the next season of Daredevil. That could end up being worth it if they do that right.

As for Limitless, I actually DVR'd that while it was on CBS, but never watched it once I heard they weren't renewing it. I hope for your sake it does't end in a way that leaves you hanging. BTW, in case you didn't know, it was originally a movie made into a series for Network TV. I haven't done so yet, but I do plan on watching the movie at some point.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:28 am
  • Stranger Things and Bloodline are both very good. We haven't started watching the one with Jason Bateman, Ozark, but I heard that's solid too.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:01 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Stranger Things and Bloodline are both very good. We haven't started watching the one with Jason Bateman, Ozark, but I heard that's solid too.

Ozark is good, but nowhere near IMO Breaking Bad........which is what most people are comparing it to.

Which I know is unfair, but I do recommend Ozark. Interesting premise and locale.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:47 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Anyone else watching Ozark?

We're diggin' it so far, up to episode 4. It's kinda Breaking Bad meets American Beauty meets Deliverance.

Finished up the season last week. Totally enjoyed it. Can't wait for the next season.

Also, Longmire was a fav. I binge watched all the episodes a couple of months ago, and am awaiting the new season on Netflix. Anyone know when that's supposed to be?
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:16 am
  • Ozark and Breaking Bad are Apples and Oranges. Both are excellent shows but not ones I would compare.

Ah David, I should have known Limitless was likely cancelled. Well I am 3/4 of the way through the first (and what sounds like the only) season. I guess I will find out soon enough how it ends.

Hopefully I am not bed ridden for months for any reason but if I am I sure have a great list of Netflix shows to watch thanks to this thread! And here's the list:

Peaky Blinders
    A Series of Unfortunate Events
    The Magicians
    Jo Koy (Comedy Special)
    The Last Kingdom
    Bloodline
    Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King
    Atypical

What am I missing?

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:21 am
  • Aros wrote:Ozark and Breaking Bad are Apples and Oranges. Both are excellent shows but not ones I would compare.

Ah David, I should have known Limitless was likely cancelled. Well I am 3/4 of the way through the first (and what sounds like the only) season. I guess I will find out soon enough how it ends.

Hopefully I am not bed ridden for months for any reason but if I am I sure have a great list of Netflix shows to watch thanks to this thread! And here's the list:

Peaky Blinders
    A Series of Unfortunate Events
    The Magicians
    Jo Koy (Comedy Special)
    The Last Kingdom
    Bloodline
    Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King
    Atypical

What am I missing?

Stranger Things
    Narcos
    Making a Murder
    OA
    13 Reasons
    The Crown
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:24 am
  • I've seen/been watching all of those minus The Crown and OA. Narcos I started but have only seen one episode...

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:48 am
  • Aros wrote:I've seen/been watching all of those minus The Crown and OA. Narcos I started but have only seen one episode...

I love Narcos, really well done and the production is through the roof, as with most of these shows.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:27 am

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:52 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5675620/vid ... _=tt_ov_vi

:shock: :shock:

Brilliant song choice.

I'm hoping this is good, I thought he was the best part of Daredevil S2. They definitely locked down the perfect actor for it. (Tom Jane was also good) Show runner wrote a bunch of episodes for Hannibal which was great so he should have the chops for a dark show like this.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:53 am
  • Finally watched the first episode of Ozark last night. Pretty solid show so are. A LOT stuffed in to that first episode, but I can tell we are gonna' dig it.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:18 pm
  • Y'all need to check out Mindhunter by David Fincher (Fight Club, Gone Girl, Se7en, Zodiac). Focuses on the beginning of the FBI's serial crime unit in the '70s. It's a slow burn, as most psychological crime dramas are, but I watched the first 6 episodes last night and had to force myself to go to bed. Incredible performance by the guy playing real-life serial killer Ed Kemper (was never caught but turned himself in; some of his interview videos are on youtube). Already been renewed for a second season, which could be very interesting given the small glimpses of a certain character at the beginning of each episode so far.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:24 am
  • Yeah I want to check out Mindhunter. I was pretty excited for it but have heard mixed reviews about it. I'm guessing those who don't like it aren't into slow burn type of shows. Also heard the main character is a little bland. Either way I'm going to check it out because of Fincher.

I forgot to come on here and mention the new series Confession Tapes. It's similar to Making A Murderer. It focuses on forced confessions. The first two episodes are about a Bellevue murder that happened in the late 90's. I was too young to remember it but my Mom said she remembered it. Here is the trailer.

Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:49 am
  • 253hawk wrote:Y'all need to check out Mindhunter by David Fincher (Fight Club, Gone Girl, Se7en, Zodiac). Focuses on the beginning of the FBI's serial crime unit in the '70s. It's a slow burn, as most psychological crime dramas are, but I watched the first 6 episodes last night and had to force myself to go to bed. Incredible performance by the guy playing real-life serial killer Ed Kemper (was never caught but turned himself in; some of his interview videos are on youtube). Already been renewed for a second season, which could be very interesting given the small glimpses of a certain character at the beginning of each episode so far.

I added it to my list last week, but this is one that I think the wife will enjoy, so i'm holding off until we can watch it together. Definitely has my interest though.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:32 pm
  • I watched the first 2 episodes of Mindhunter last night. The second episode is much better than the first, and watching it made the main character much more likeable. I kept watching because it's interesting, the pacing is done well, I don't get bored watching scenes, and it's funny. Criminal behavior is interesting to me, though, and a topic in which I've held many strong and sometimes controversial opinions about. Looking forward to watching the rest.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:08 pm
  • I found this show last night just browsing Netflix. It's an 8 part mocumentary series. It's really well done and hilariously funny. It's one of the better Netflix originals I've seen.

Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:48 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:I watched the first 2 episodes of Mindhunter last night. The second episode is much better than the first, and watching it made the main character much more likeable. I kept watching because it's interesting, the pacing is done well, I don't get bored watching scenes, and it's funny. Criminal behavior is interesting to me, though, and a topic in which I've held many strong and sometimes controversial opinions about. Looking forward to watching the rest.

I just started watching Mindhunter too. I really like it but I also like dramas about Criminal behavior too. This show is very well done so far. I just started episode 3.
    I know this is a Netflix shows thread but Amazon has some really good original programming too. I just finished watching Tin Star. I really liked it. Great Cast(Tim Roth, Christina Hendricks, and Christopher Heyerdahl(The Swede on Hell On Wheels)).
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:52 am
  • Yeah, the first episode is definitely the weakest and probably could have used a rewrite. Holden and Debbie are a little wooden in their delivery, but Debbie is especially bad. Maybe it's just the actress, but she sounds like a monotone reading off of cue cards. She gets a little better in the later episodes, but isn't really a featured character thankfully (and might not be at all, depending on a later episode). The first ep just sets the groundwork, so take that away from it if nothing else and enjoy the rest of the series as it pulls you in for the ride.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:07 am
  • For those interested...Punisher is coming November 17...here's a new trailer

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:35 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:Yeah, the first episode is definitely the weakest and probably could have used a rewrite. Holden and Debbie are a little wooden in their delivery, but Debbie is especially bad. Maybe it's just the actress, but she sounds like a monotone reading off of cue cards. She gets a little better in the later episodes, but isn't really a featured character thankfully (and might not be at all, depending on a later episode). The first ep just sets the groundwork, so take that away from it if nothing else and enjoy the rest of the series as it pulls you in for the ride.

I didn't mind the first episode.

The opening scene was compelling, and a good table setter for just what kind of character Holden is.

I love Fincher, so I'd watch just about anything he produces and/or writes. I'm up to episode 4, and the scenes with Edmund are bone chilling, reminds me of the crime scenes and killer conversations in Seven and Zodiac. So damn good.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:39 pm
  • We are 6 episodes in on Ozark. Really cool show. I love me some Laura Linney. Of course, she looks like my wife so I'm partial :2thumbs:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:52 am
  • Just finished all 10 episodes of Mindhunter. Definitely love where this show is going. Holden is an awesome main character. Episode 1 you think he's going to be decent at best, and that the show is going to be held up by the other characters. Then by the end of the season you'll be thinking he's the best character in the show.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:44 pm
  • Stranger Things season 2 starts tonight. Can’t wait!
    86Hawk
    NET Starter

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:18 am
  • +1, Stranger Things is outstanding.

We are 8 episodes in on Ozark, really cool show.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:52 pm
  • 86Hawk wrote:Stranger Things season 2 starts tonight. Can’t wait!

Just started my binge watch!!! The husband is off hunting for the weekend and I am home alone. I am going to binge watch as many episodes as I can tonight because it's party night with the girls tomorrow.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:00 pm
  • It's worth it, just a great show overall. A mix of X Files/Stand By Me/E.T.
    Winona Ryder is really excellent in it too.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:45 pm
  • Four episodes into Stranger Things 2 and I'm loving it. The music has been on-point, a lot of really cool shots, new characters seem to be good additions (waiting for the tie-in from the opening scene though), giving me all the feels as I become more and more invested in the characters we know from ST1.

Can't wait to see where the rest of the season goes, hopefully it doesn't disappoint :irishdrinkers:
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:12 pm
  • Sounds like Season 6 is to be the final season for House of Cards. I think it's coming a year too late. Season 5 seemed to drop off quite a bit from the previous season and it just seems like they are really stretching for material to keep the Underwood's in power. I thoroughly enjoyed the show for most of it's run and I'll watch the final season, but it's definitely lost a bit of it's luster.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:34 pm
  • Season 2 of Stranger Things was kind of disappointing. Season 1 was great, I thought the entire plot of season 2 was underwhelming.

Almost done with Mindhunter, it is a really great show. I still have three more episodes, but I'd imagine they can keep this show going for a long time.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:07 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Season 2 of Stranger Things was kind of disappointing. Season 1 was great, I thought the entire plot of season 2 was underwhelming.

Almost done with Mindhunter, it is a really great show. I still have three more episodes, but I'd imagine they can keep this show going for a long time.

You're gonna love the ending of Mindhunter S1. Enjoy that.

I agree 100% about Stranger Things. Still like the characters and the acting and all that, but the plot of S2 was very underwhelming. I felt like it never really built and took off...that it was just one giant epilogue to S1.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:58 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Season 2 of Stranger Things was kind of disappointing. Season 1 was great, I thought the entire plot of season 2 was underwhelming.

Really?

I thoroughly enjoyed season two, other than the stand alone episode with El and the Lost Boy rejects. I thought that episode didn't belong and felt really disjointed.

But other than that, very sold 2nd season for a show that has such high expectations.........and c'mon, Sean Astin ftw.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:18 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Season 2 of Stranger Things was kind of disappointing. Season 1 was great, I thought the entire plot of season 2 was underwhelming.

Really?

I thoroughly enjoyed season two, other than the stand alone episode with El and the Lost Boy rejects. I thought that episode didn't belong and felt really disjointed.

But other than that, very sold 2nd season for a show that has such high expectations.........and c'mon, Sean Astin ftw.

I feel the same way, I finished it a couple nights ago and think it was fantastic. I think I enjoyed it more than the first season, though the first season was seemingly out of nowhere and one of the best TV viewing surprises I've experienced yet.

Episode 7 was garbage, though. The dialogue for the most part was questionable, the "rag tag" group was cringy and almost cartoonishly one dimensional and bad, and the episode completely threw off the timing of the last 4 episodes IMO. I can accept why they did it, but it was just terribly executed and the episode shouldn't have been "stand alone," rather it should have been mixed in with the main plot like every other episode of the show so far, IMO.

I still loved the season, though. It hit every note I wanted it to and is going to be another great launch pad for a third season.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:32 am
  • Finished up Mindhunter, great show.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:36 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Finished up Mindhunter, great show.

Yep! BTK next....

I cannot believe there is no discussion about The Punisher. My husband and I binge watched it last weekend. Really good and very gory.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:53 pm
  • Seahwkgal wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Finished up Mindhunter, great show.

Yep! BTK next....

I cannot believe there is no discussion about The Punisher. My husband and I binge watched it last weekend. Really good and very gory.

I just finished it yesterday. I enjoyed it for the most part. I'm not sure if it was writing, acting or directing, but I didn't care much for the Homeland Security woman Madani (sp?) Just something seemed off every time she had lines. Outside of that though, I really liked it for what it was....an action series. You are right though, it did have some gory violence. Netflix definitely doesn't shy away from that.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information