Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The Netflix Shows Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: The Netflix Shows Thread
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:50 pm
  • He got an enhanced body with special features when he was unthawed. You could lump that in with the explanation.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:40 am
  • Watched A Futile and Stupid Gesture last night.

It's the story of Doug Kenney, the founder of National Lampoon. The cast is insane, Will Forte, Joel McHale, Emmy Rossum, Marin Mull, Seth Green, Thomas Lennon, it goes on and on with some of the great comedy character actors........and a ton of cameos from old school Lampoon movie actors playing bit parts that you'll instantly recognize.

The movie's also shot in a weird breaking of the 4th wall docu-style that made it even more interesting, because Mull is awesome. It's dark (you'll know why if you know the history of Kenny), but still plays like a real National Lampoon bit or movie with plenty of irreverent humor.

First half drags a little, but once they get into the making of SNL (stolen from Kenney's National Lampoon radio hour), Animal House and Caddyshack, the movie really takes off.

Anyway, if you love the history of comedy, and especially the National Lampoon movies and brand like me, you'll love this movie. Very well done for diving into the history of Kenney himself and how this all started.

If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:22 am
  • Great info Sgt. thank you!

All this week I have been a bachelor (Wife and kiddo gone to South Carolina to visit bro-in-law) so I have been watching movies with a feverish pitch (When else can I watch movies in complete silence?). I am always searching for a list of the best movies, the best ranked/rated series on Netflix...

I found Split to be surprisingly good! The main character was absolutely brilliant.

Logan was good. Depressing but good. Surprised of it's ratings (90+ both critics and public) but it was decent.

Just watched The Imitation Game. Based on a true story...Quality film. Alan Turing is considered to be the Godfather of modern day computers. There's controversy surrounding the accuracy of the story but there's definitely mystery to Turing's life and story. Worth the watch.

Okay your turn! What's the best movies/series I have yet to see?

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:35 am
  • Aros wrote:
    Okay your turn! What's the best movies/series I have yet to see?

I quickly looked at the current movies on Netflix, so here are my recommendations.

The Homesman(great western that went under the radar)
    Life Itself (probably the best doc I've ever seen, it's about Roger Ebert, who had an extraordinary life)
    Mudbound (first Netflix movie to be nominated for Oscar)
    Sing Street (amazing 80's inspired movie from Ireland that also went under the radar, but they NAILED the 80's vibe perfectly, REALLY well done)
    Place Beyond the Pines (slow burn, but very good)

Also on the western tip if you like Westerns is Godless, great new series with Jeff Daniels, he kills it as the villain.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:44 am
  • Sweet, thanks! I will check one or two out this weekend.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:43 am
  • Watched Life Itself last night. Brilliant documentary. Who knew the life of a film critic could be so complex and wonderful to the very end? A lovely side to the whole thing is the soul mate connection between him and his wonderful wife Chaz. Highly recommended.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:18 am
  • Aros wrote:Watched Life Itself last night. Brilliant documentary. Who knew the life of a film critic could be so complex and wonderful to the very end? A lovely side to the whole thing is the soul mate connection between him and his wonderful wife Chaz. Highly recommended.

Yep, and I hope I have even 10% of the grace that Ebert showed going through his horrible health issues.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:11 pm
  • Finally watched the first episode of Altered Carbon last night. Great pilot. Felt like it was Blade Runner on steroids.

Excited to see where it goes and hope it successfully carries some of the noir feels.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:18 pm
  • Lost In Space, looks pretty good............and it has Captain Flint from Black Sails, so can't be all bad.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:31 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Lost In Space, looks pretty good............and it has Captain Flint from Black Sails, so can't be all bad.

Beat me to it. This looks awesome! One month to go, and they’re dropping the whole season at once. Coolness!
    "Tackling is an attitude. You have to want to." Kam Chancellor

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:50 am
  • Been watching this docu series, it's great.

Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:26 pm
  • Looks good...I am almost finished with Narcos. Dammit Netflix! lol

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:05 pm
  • 3 episodes into Jessica Jones Season 2. Overall I like it. Not super fast paced but it is holding my interest until things pick up.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:29 pm
  • I haven't watched Jessica Jones yet, but anytime I see something with her face, I think in my mind "You so deserved to die on Breaking Bad, b****."

:lol:
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:44 pm
  • Hahaha Roland...

Just started watching season 2 of JJ. Slow indeed. I like the series. I don't love the series but I like it.

Still have Altered Carbon and Peaky Blinders on the brain. Narcos is excellent as well. Black Mirror needs to be more than 6 episodes dammit.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:38 pm
  • If you guys like comedy, I recommend "The Ranch". It stars Aston Kutcher and some of the others from That 70s show.
    ApnaHawk
    NET Rookie

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:11 am
  • For those of you who were in the PNW in the 80's and remember hearing about Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and his compound in Oregon, Netflix just put up a 6-part docuseries about it. It's called Wild Wild Country.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:29 am
  • Hi I’m new here, thanks for all the info guys!

I lean towards more of a action/Sci-fi genre but like everything.

Lately I’m really cooling on stuff on tv like flash/arrow/gotham although of your into comics you can’t go wrong. I recently finished westworld and it blew my mind. It’s better than altered carbon in my opinion which I also loved. The cinematography and acting in westworld is unparalleled in tv. Can’t go wrong with stranger things/Vikings

I stopped watching legion after 3 episodes as it’s too all over and feels like i need to be on drugs to watch it lol

The new abc show deception was pretty good . Extremely similar to the show castle.
    Kinger95
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:43 pm
  • If you're into shows that were made for your kids but that you probably wouldn't actually let your kids watch check out On My Block. It's kind of like Everything Sucks except in LA instead of Portland and way less white and much funnier.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:23 am
  • Caught up with all the series I have been binging...Already in withdrawals awaiting their return...

I think I will give Flint Town a look next.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:57 pm
  • Not really diggin' Jessica Jones so far.

I'm four episodes in, and it's basically just Jessica acting all emo about her past. I miss you Killgrave, why have you forsaken us.

And not to get all sexist, but you can certainly tell it's an all female writing and directing team, LOTS of male chauvinist pigs getting scolded and beat up. In fact, so far the only dude in the entire cast that's not a complete one dimensional jerkoff is the super.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:57 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Not really diggin' Jessica Jones so far.

I'm four episodes in, and it's basically just Jessica acting all emo about her past. I miss you Killgrave, why have you forsaken us.

And not to get all sexist, but you can certainly tell it's an all female writing and directing team, LOTS of male chauvinist pigs getting scolded and beat up. In fact, so far the only dude in the entire cast that's not a complete one dimensional jerkoff is the super.

I watched the whole thing and looking back over it, the arc makes sense in getting them where they seem to be trying to go, but it's definitely not nearly as good as season 1. As you said in an earlier post, these shows are made or broken on the villain (big bad) and this season, it's just a bit too soft in that department. I'm more hopeful for season 3 to find a better villain character for us to enjoy.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:44 pm
  • I thought Jessica Jones 2 was good. Getting over the (mostly) no Kilgrave hump is obviously tough, but I thought they did a pretty good job with it. Story kept me interested in a way that Iron Fist, Defenders & Punisher didn't really do. I never did finish Iron Fist.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:18 pm
  • They kept the story line close to what the Comics were about, yes a few changes but we don't know the arc timeline they plan. Appears her sister is going to be a major storyline in season three. This is a crime drama with X-Men overtones that carries on thru a season. Her backstory has been laid out pretty well now and she still has a few demons that need to be exorcised.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:39 am
  • Finished Punisher last night.

EASILY the best of the Marvel Netflix stuff. It was the only one so far that didnt fall off the 2nd half or didnt get interesting until the 2nd half, or just plain sucked all the way through.

Havent watched Jessica Jones s2 yet but cant see it touching Punisher.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:26 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Not really diggin' Jessica Jones so far.

I watched the whole thing and looking back over it, the arc makes sense in getting them where they seem to be trying to go, but it's definitely not nearly as good as season 1. As you said in an earlier post, these shows are made or broken on the villain (big bad) and this season, it's just a bit too soft in that department. I'm more hopeful for season 3 to find a better villain character for us to enjoy.

I honestly don't think the traditional protagonist vs antagonist superhero story was the goal this year.

As I stated, IMO it was all about this female empowerment Jessica unearthing her past and dealing with that origin, etc.

Which is fine, that's admirable. But it isn't making for a very compelling story, because the conflicts are all just generic and bland.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 am
  • I thought Season 2 fell off a bit. Definitely tire of the emo aspect of her character but at least they stay true to it. Her sister's involvement gets pretty hokey in my book but it definitely picks up steam in the final 1/3 of the season. Keeps me compelled enough to continue into Season 3 when the time comes.

Flint Town is pretty good. Bleak reality, man. Could happen anywhere.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:45 pm
  • Watched Ricky Gervais' "Humanity" last weekend and nearly pissed myself. If you like him it's a must.

I nearly gave myself a hernia when he talks about being in a plane crash. One word: Whistle.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:11 am
  • Aros wrote:Watched Ricky Gervais' "Humanity" last weekend and nearly pissed myself. If you like him it's a must.

I nearly gave myself a hernia when he talks about being in a plane crash. One word: Whistle.

Me and my wife watched it last night, I’m a huge Ricky Gervais fan and I was a bit disappointed.

He grew up about 5 miles from where I live!

Have you seen ‘The Office’ (the British version)? The guy that Ricky Gervais based that character on (real name is also David Brent I believe) helped build my parents extension on their house, he did the tiling. He’s best friends with Ricky’s brother and went to school with them all.

Pretty cool!
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:50 am
  • Curious, why were you disappointed? If you didn't laugh during the plane crash bit you are no longer a friend. ;)

Cool Six Degrees though! :2thumbs:

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:52 am

Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:28 pm
  • Aros wrote:Curious, why were you disappointed? If you didn't laugh during the plane crash bit you are no longer a friend. ;)

Cool Six Degrees though! :2thumbs:

I laughed at the plane crash joke and also found the ‘Hampton child’ jokes really good, I’m just such a massive Gervais fan that I’m normally rolling over laughing from start to finish but that wasn’t the case this time, real shame!
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:42 am
  • I remember a year or two ago when Netflix would introduce a Netflix Original move or series about once a month, now it seems like they are introducing one almost each day. I don't want to say they are over saturating the market but it almost seems that way. I can barely keep up.

This looks pretty decent, has Mahershala Ali and is about the female rapper Roxanne Shante.

Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:25 am
  • Aros wrote:Watched Ricky Gervais' "Humanity" last weekend and nearly pissed myself. If you like him it's a must.

We also thoroughly enjoyed Humanity.

Gervais is like a lot of great comedians (Chappelle, Louis CK, Carlin), he's able to make jokes about taboo topics by creating a personal endearing narrative...................which is not easy to do, it takes some serious intelligence to bring an audience along through telling a story to get to the punchline, all the while doubling and tripling back on the joke.

That style is not for everyone, some people just want Seinfeld-esque observational humor. Which is fine, but IMO the greats are the ones that pull you in personal experience, and figure out a way to make you laugh and think about why that joke is funny, even though it shouldn't be.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:44 am
  • Totally agree. He's one of my favorites. While I also like Seinfeld for the observational humor, it's the Gervais' of the world that I really admire.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:27 pm
  • Todd you check out Requiem yet? Little 6 episode drama/thriller from BBC with a nice supernatural twist I think you'd appreciate. I'm only one episode in so far but it hooked me.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:16 pm
  • No I haven't! Shoot I need to do that, thanks for the reminder...Started watching Santa Clara Diet this past weekend. Pretty good...Dark comedy...Gore and chuckles. Have to give it a few more episodes before I give it any kind of cohesive rating.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:10 pm
  • If you like stand up I definitely recommend giving this one a go. I've seen all the Chappelle specials, and the rest of the usual suspects. This was easily one of the top 5 of 2018 so far for me.

Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:04 am
  • Noted, thanks for the tip!

Zeb, I am into Requim 3 episodes. Not sure what I think yet. It has a very slooooooow burn. I am committed now so I hope the final 3 pick up.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:37 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:

Place Beyond the Pines (slow burn, but very good)

Mike Patton did the soundtrack for this, I am going to have to check this out for sure !
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:40 am
  • I struggle to get things watched on free-to-air and satellite TV, let alone Netflix (and I'm also on Stan, an Australian streamer). I've watched Deep Space Nine on Netflix, but I'm still on the first season! I never even saw the final season when it was on TV in the 1990s.

Also watched the movie "11.22.63" on Stan, which is a movie of the Stephen King book, about a man who goes back in time to try to save JFK - it is brilliant. Saw the first season of the "Wolf Creek" TV series on Stan too (OKish), and Season Two is now up there. I've not checked, but I imagine a lot of the stuff I get on Stan, you'd get on Netflix in the States, because I hear you get far, far more stuff than we do on the Oz Netflix.

However, I'm not really complaining - I spend so much time reading in my leisure time that I struggle to get to watch things. Youtube and this place don't help, either... :)

Did "Terra Nova" (on Netflix or anywhere) ever get past the First Season, does anyone know? Like "Under the Dome" (I don't know if it was on Netflix), likewise? I found the few episodes I saw of these to be not so good in general, but parts of Terra Nova were OK.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:19 am
  • Do you guys (I don't mean that in a combative or us vs. them kind of way) keep track of the Netflix shows you watch by spreadsheets, or something? I could never remember which ones to circle back to a year later for a new season by memory alone. Maybe my memory just isn't great despite being 35 years old, though...
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:54 pm
  • Aros wrote:Noted, thanks for the tip!

Zeb, I am into Requim 3 episodes. Not sure what I think yet. It has a very slooooooow burn. I am committed now so I hope the final 3 pick up.

It is definitely that, kind of slow with a nice little payoff/wtf moment at the end of the episodes. Things start to pick up around eps 4 and 5. I got one more to go tonight and I can't wait to get home and watch it. Certainly has that sort of BBC feel to it though, by no means is it action packed haha. Takes some interesting turns though as things start to unravel.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:25 pm
  • You nailed it. I finished episode 5 last night (I nearly made it to 6 but I was falling asleep at 1am) and it definitely picks up in 4 and 5. Looking forward to the finale tonight to see how it ends. Not sure if this is a 1 off series or not. Definitely a BBC feel for sure. It's good overall though I like it.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:52 pm

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:23 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Do you guys (I don't mean that in a combative or us vs. them kind of way) keep track of the Netflix shows you watch by spreadsheets, or something? I could never remember which ones to circle back to a year later for a new season by memory alone. Maybe my memory just isn't great despite being 35 years old, though...

Netflix makes it pretty easy by categorizing "new releases", "most popular" and "continue watching".............then shuffling the shows you've already watched back to the top of the queues.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:13 pm
  • I have kind of the same problem as Roland.

I can never remember where I left off on a show, and when a new season is released, I'm generally knee deep in another series or 2, so I don't even notice that it's been marked with a new release. I also tend to move on and forget about shows I watched over a year ago, so I'm not actively looking for it.

So often times the only way I can circle back to a show is to just randomly see it at some point somewhere in Netflix while I'm browsing, and then check the episodes to see which ones I've already watched.

And if it weren't for detailed 'previously ons' on the first episode of new seasons, I'd totally be lost. I think a spreadsheet would be effective, but having to do work is the total opposite point of watching TV in the first place.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:00 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Wild Wild Country

https://www.gq.com/story/wild-wild-coun ... lix-needed

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/ ... 452238002/

I kinda rememberer this from when I was a kid. Anyone else remember when this was happening?

Going to start this up soon.

Just finished up Wild Wild Country.

Holy moly. I vaguely remember my parents and the news talking about the Bhagwan, but I never knew the entire story.

GREAT doc, highly recommended......one of the more fascinating time periods in our nations history. The post Vietnam, post hippie movement, all these cult of personalities taking hold all over the globe.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:25 pm
  • I am at mid-season with Santa Clarita Diet. It's funny, now that I am invested, it definitely has its funny moments. Worth checking out.

Anyone seen Sense 8? I started watching it a week ago or so and I am toward the end of season 1. First few episodes was meh. Nearly dumped it after the second or third episode but I kept at it. It's decent. Of course character investment is half the battle with any show but I am intrigued with the teleportation/ESP angle that ties it all together. Not an Emmy-winning show I wouldn't imagine, but enjoyable.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:18 am
  • Aros wrote:Anyone seen Sense 8? I started watching it a week ago or so and I am toward the end of season 1. First few episodes was meh. Nearly dumped it after the second or third episode but I kept at it. It's decent. Of course character investment is half the battle with any show but I am intrigued with the teleportation/ESP angle that ties it all together. Not an Emmy-winning show I wouldn't imagine, but enjoyable.

I watched the first 2 episodes awhile back. I haven't totally given up on it, but haven't made it a priority either. I'll get it knocked out eventually, but the first episodes have been slow I can concur with that for certain.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information