Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The Netflix Shows Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: The Netflix Shows Thread
Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:40 pm
  • Are any of these Netflix movies worth watching? I know they do well with their series, but most of their movies are usually mediocre at best.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:23 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Are any of these Netflix movies worth watching? I know they do well with their series, but most of their movies are usually mediocre at best.

The only Netflix movies I'd recommend are Mudbound, Okja and Bright..................the rest are pretty meh. *

* I assume you mean Netflix produced movies
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:04 pm
  • Yeah I was talking about Netflix original movies. It seems like almost every day they add a movie, but most get mediocre to weak reviews.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:57 pm
  • Ok, I'm two episodes deep into Lost In Space. HOOKED! And I've read it gets better. No spoilers please...
    "Tackling is an attitude. You have to want to." Kam Chancellor

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:40 pm
  • Ark is fantastic , I seen a few others I forget the names so ill look and post back
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:40 pm
  • BlueThunder wrote:Ok, I'm two episodes deep into Lost In Space. HOOKED! And I've read it gets better. No spoilers please...

Looking forward to it, remember the original with June Lockart and Billy Mumy in black and white, Danger Will Robinson !

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:55 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Looking forward to it, remember the original with June Lockart and Billy Mumy in black and white, Danger Will Robinson !

Of course I remember it... what do you think I am, a bubble-headed booby? :)

That was my favourite show on TV as a kid. I also loved Land of he Giants and Time Tunnel, but never got to see much of those.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:12 am
  • I'm still burning through Black Mirror. I finished season 3 last night. This show is amazing.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:33 am
  • Yeah Black Mirror rocks. Can't wait for the next season. I just wish each season had more episodes but I would rather have 6 kick ass episodes than 12 so-so episodes so I am good with it for sure.

Started Lost In Space this morning. Meh. Couldn't even finish the first episode. Someone will need to talk me into keeping it going.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:22 am
  • Aros wrote:Started Lost In Space this morning. Meh. Couldn't even finish the first episode. Someone will need to talk me into keeping it going.

Well, I'm a "anything future space stuff" geek, so I'm easy. But stick with it. I've read that it starts out kinda weak, but gets better, and worth watching. Maybe shove it into your "when I'm done with the stuff I really wanna watch" bucket. I can already sense a bunch of storylines that will be interesting. You know damn well that robot is gonna go off one of these episodes... as all artificial's always seem to do in everything... And that little hint of one of them already going off. May have been the reason the mothership blew up in the first place. And, oh yeah. Get a little baked first. That helps, believe you me... haha

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:26 am
  • lol, Wine will have to suffice. ;)

Thanks for the tip!

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:49 pm
  • Yeah I'm seeing pretty mixed reviews on Lost In Space. I'll give it a try, but disappointed with what I've heard. I was hoping this would be the next great Netflix series, but it doesn't seem like it. Just based on the trailer, I'm guessing great visuals with mediocre acting and an okay storyline.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:34 pm
  • They don't directly give you character back story, there are flashbacks showing stuff, which means character development is in pieces and your not sure or are confused at their motivation for how and why things are what they are. I think that is their platform and we really won't get a big picture look till last episode when everything is tied together.

I think it is a build as you go series first season, remember this is the 4th take on this series if you include the movie so the platform is unique.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:08 pm
  • Lost In Space is pretty tight! Only two episodes in but I'm digging it. Definitely a corny element to it, but mostly it feels like a modern sci-fi drama. Definitely a tier or two above what you'd expect to see on SyFy network though.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:51 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Lost In Space is pretty tight! Only two episodes in but I'm digging it. Definitely a corny element to it, but mostly it feels like a modern sci-fi drama. Definitely a tier or two above what you'd expect to see on SyFy network though.

THANK YOU! Man, I got Zeb on board... WHEW... lol Ok, I'm 5 episodes in now, and I'm totally into it. I think it's really good, and cool. And yeah, the corny. But it levels out. That robot is gonna be a prob down the road... I just KNOW it! lol

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:29 am
  • Lost in Space has big budget production, but unfortunately has the writing and dialogue of a Disney tween show.

Which is fine, it's a good show for families and young kids to watch, lots of smart capable kids and loving parents for the under 13 set to identify and admire........and if you're an adult and understand this is the demo Netflix is aiming at? Then you'll enjoy it just fine as the light sci-fi nostalgic series that it is.

But if you're looking for a grittier Altered Carbon type sci-fi experience? Best stay away from Lost in Space.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:33 am
  • Yeah pretty much.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:06 pm
  • Agree with all the comments. I am almost finished with the second episode. I can definitely see this as a series that has the potential to evolve as it goes along. Definitely wouldn't be on my list of "Must Watch" Netflix, but it's entertaining enough.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:36 am
  • I am really enjoying Sense 8. About halfway through the second season. Definitely a show that grows on you.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:55 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Are any of these Netflix movies worth watching? I know they do well with their series, but most of their movies are usually mediocre at best.

The only Netflix movies I'd recommend are Mudbound, Okja and Bright..................the rest are pretty meh. *

I will second Mudbound. Watched it a week or so ago and it was well done. Bright was decent enough. Not as bad as most people were saying as long as you don't go into it expecting an Oscar winner or anything. Pretty cool concept overall.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:10 pm
  • I thought The Titan was pretty ok. Much better than I was expecting since I was told it was absolute trash and not even worth watching. Maybe a 6 or 6.5/10.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:13 pm
  • drcool wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Are any of these Netflix movies worth watching? I know they do well with their series, but most of their movies are usually mediocre at best.

I will second Mudbound. Watched it a week or so ago and it was well done. Bright was decent enough. Not as bad as most people were saying as long as you don't go into it expecting an Oscar winner or anything. Pretty cool concept overall.

Will have to check out Mudbound. Agreed on Bright. I didn't have the high expectations that some apparently did and I found it quite enjoyable overall.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:13 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Lost in Space has big budget production, but unfortunately has the writing and dialogue of a Disney tween show.

Which is fine, it's a good show for families and young kids to watch, lots of smart capable kids and loving parents for the under 13 set to identify and admire........and if you're an adult and understand this is the demo Netflix is aiming at? Then you'll enjoy it just fine as the light sci-fi nostalgic series that it is.

But if you're looking for a grittier Altered Carbon type sci-fi experience? Best stay away from Lost in Space.

Is it better than the Matt Leblanc one?
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:18 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Lost in Space has big budget production, but unfortunately has the writing and dialogue of a Disney tween show.

Matt Leblanc pretty much single-handedly ruined that version for me. So as far as that question goes, IMO, yes it's better than that version. Of course that version was a movie, and in so much as it was over relatively quickly, it was faster paced.

With that said, I've only seen 3 episodes. It's not been great, but it's not been horrible either.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:28 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Lost in Space has big budget production, but unfortunately has the writing and dialogue of a Disney tween show.

Lol, my brain erased all memory of that turd.

Also had William Hurt and Gary Oldman...............wow, it's hard to mess up a movie with that cast.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:44 pm
  • I'm hesitant to watch Lost In Space. Pretty much all I have heard is how it is mediocre at best. I just have a hard time going into a show that I know is capped on potential. Would you go eat at a restaurant that everyone has said is just okay? Maybe at some point I'll get to it, but for now I'm going to wait.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:22 am
  • You're not making a bad choice. If there's nothing else to watch (impossible in this day and age) then it's probably worth the watch. I love space, sci-fi, all that, and I appreciate big production/effects, etc...So it keeps me somewhat interested on that level but there's just nothing spectacular about it. Keep in mind I have only watched 3 episodes so perhaps like some other shows, it starts off slow and builds as it goes along.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:08 am
  • Really was disappointed with season 2 of Jessica Jones.

I felt like I was watching a Lifetime movie of the week half the time, the entire season was Jessica being all emo about her mommy and daddy issues......................this is a superhero show right? Bleck.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:15 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Really was disappointed with season 2 of Jessica Jones.

I felt like I was watching a Lifetime movie of the week half the time, the entire season was Jessica being all emo about her mommy and daddy issues......................this is a superhero show right? Bleck.

It definitely didn't reach the lofty goals set by Season 1. I'm hoping that they used season 2 as more of a character development season and they get back to what made it great in Season 3.

Personally I just couldn't get invested in the "bad guy" this season, and if you can't find the villain truly despicable, then what's the point of a super hero(ine) / vigilante?

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:29 am
  • kidhawk wrote:

Personally I just couldn't get invested in the "bad guy" this season, and if you can't find the villain truly despicable, then what's the point of a super hero(ine) / vigilante?

What bad guy?

There were a couple minor protagonists early on, then the big reveal at the end............but by that time I didn't care anymore.

And yes, that's what makes any great superhero show or movie, the villain. That's why it sucked that the writers decided to make the entire season about some deep dive into Jessica's mommy issues. Stupid, and wasn't even done well, they actually made Jessica LESS likable.

In other show news, if you guys can handle a little subtitles, check out The Chalet. It's a short six episode one off French Netflix show. Kinda suspense Cabin in the Woods thriller about a bunch of young couples stuck up in the french Alps in a tiny mountain town with someone killing everyone.

Very well done.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:35 am
  • Dark is a good show

The Rain looks promising
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:40 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Dark is a good show

The Rain looks promising

Dark is awesome, and so is Babylon Berlin, another great German Netflix show.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:50 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

What bad guy?

There were a couple minor protagonists early on, then the big reveal at the end............but by that time I didn't care anymore.

And yes, that's what makes any great superhero show or movie, the villain. That's why it sucked that the writers decided to make the entire season about some deep dive into Jessica's mommy issues. Stupid, and wasn't even done well, they actually made Jessica LESS likable.

In other show news, if you guys can handle a little subtitles, check out The Chalet. It's a short six episode one off French Netflix show. Kinda suspense Cabin in the Woods thriller about a bunch of young couples stuck up in the french Alps in a tiny mountain town with someone killing everyone.

Very well done.

She is complicated, a Hero that doesn't want to embrace that roll and has been manipulated and used as a lab rat, she really isn't suppose to be likeable in the normal sense, her story is about being a reluctant hero and overcoming trust issues and liking herself for who she is not what she is. There is a reason she drinks all the time ya know. Her villain has been her backstory and her choices. She has a good person trait buried below her exterior that she is in conflict with.

Going forward it looks like Hellcat is being set up to be her nemesis, which again will delve into herself and her sister. I look at it as more of a Logan format, yes there are some Superhero moments but more about the Character and how she became what and who she is to a point in time.

I would really like a X24 series developed, that may be more what your looking for, she crosses back and forth between good and bad and interacts with a lot of characters, which may be why there isn't one, to many ownership obstacles of characters.

Last edited by chris98251 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:56 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

What bad guy?

My sentiments exactly....that is why I put it in quotes. There just wasn't any real villain to despise here. I still am hopeful though that it is a one off season of character development. Season 3 needs a serious villain that we can all get behind rooting against. It will be hard to top the Season 1 antagonist, but they need to get back to something like that.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:41 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:She is complicated, a Hero that doesn't want to embrace that roll and has been manipulated and used as a lab rat, she really isn't suppose to be likeable in the normal sense, her story is about being a reluctant hero and overcoming trust issues and liking herself for who she is not what she is. There is a reason she drinks all the time ya know. Her villain has been her backstory and her choices. She has a good person trait buried below her exterior that she is in conflict with.

Very good synopsis and character assessment however none of that changes the fact that the writers made season 2 a snoozer for viewers in many ways. There was far too much paid attention to her angst and inner turmoil to keep it intriguing and interesting from episode to episode. Sometimes we just want to eat popcorn and watch our super heroes kick ass. There's always room for scenes that invoke deeper contemplation to add depth to a series but for me personally the second season just seemed to lose its compass' ability to keep its heading sturdy from season 1.

I do like the elements of her personality but the writers need to be mindful that too much wallowing in self loathing doesn't do anyone any favors. Get on with it.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:15 am
  • Just wanted to give my thumbs up for Requiem as well. I binge watched it last week when I called in sick to work. Loved how it introduces you to a bunch of characters in a small town and then slowly unravels their connection to the mystery and to other characters. Constantly keeps you guessing, and doesn't rely on jump scares because it's definitely more of a mystery than a horror series. Seriously, watch it.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:26 am
  • Aros wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:She is complicated, a Hero that doesn't want to embrace that roll and has been manipulated and used as a lab rat, she really isn't suppose to be likeable in the normal sense, her story is about being a reluctant hero and overcoming trust issues and liking herself for who she is not what she is. There is a reason she drinks all the time ya know. Her villain has been her backstory and her choices. She has a good person trait buried below her exterior that she is in conflict with.

Very good synopsis and character assessment however none of that changes the fact that the writers made season 2 a snoozer for viewers in many ways. There was far too much paid attention to her angst and inner turmoil to keep it intriguing and interesting from episode to episode. Sometimes we just want to eat popcorn and watch our super heroes kick ass. There's always room for scenes that invoke deeper contemplation to add depth to a series but for me personally the second season just seemed to lose its compass' ability to keep its heading sturdy from season 1.

I do like the elements of her personality but the writers need to be mindful that too much wallowing in self loathing doesn't do anyone any favors. Get on with it.

Yep.

You guys just summed up the difference between season one and season two. Season one had the perfect mix of getting into the psyche of JJ, warts and all, as chris explained...............AND a great superhero story with a great villain.

Season two was just a poor execution of the first part, with literally none of the second part, as Aros just explained.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:31 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Just wanted to give my thumbs up for Requiem as well. I binge watched it last week when I called in sick to work. Loved how it introduces you to a bunch of characters in a small town and then slowly unravels their connection to the mystery and to other characters. Constantly keeps you guessing, and doesn't rely on jump scares because it's definitely more of a mystery than a horror series. Seriously, watch it.

co-sign.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:18 am
  • (Searching Requiem on Netflix)

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:35 pm
  • Lord what a dolt I can be. I searched Requiem and promptly realized I just watched and finished the entire series like two weeks ago. Face palm. Obviously forgot the name of the series. For the record, it is quite good.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:36 am
  • Fastest Car

Really fun show, every episode 3 "sleeper" garage built cars drag race a super car, the last show of the season is a 7 wide drag race. The cool part is such a wide variety of cars from twin turbos, nitrous cars, an electric car a diesel and my personal favorite a rotary :D

Had a blast watching this
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:13 pm
  • Aros wrote:Lord what a dolt I can be. I searched Requiem and promptly realized I just watched and finished the entire series like two weeks ago. Face palm. Obviously forgot the name of the series. For the record, it is quite good.

:lol:
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri May 04, 2018 3:14 pm
  • Okay boys I need fresh meat! What's the latest jewel we aren't watching yet?

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri May 04, 2018 5:07 pm
  • hmmm I'm not sure what's new on Netflix right now, 13 Reasons Why is back for season 2 in a couple weeks. as is The Toys That Made Us. those are what I'm looking forward to at the moment.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat May 05, 2018 10:07 am
  • The Rain which is suppose to be like Dark just came out. I'm probably going to pass, I just can't do dubbed or subtitles. Anon is a new movie Netflix just released starring Clive Owen, looks like it is getting mixed reviews.

If you want a great show that is easy to watch and binge, I'd recommend Parenthood. Just got done with it and got to say it is one of my favorite shows of all time. Kind of similar to Shameless or Modern Family.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon May 07, 2018 9:42 am
  • Arrested Development season 5 trailer just came out. They make it clear the whole cast is around this time unlike season 4. Can't wait!
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon May 14, 2018 10:13 am
  • Safe = Good.

The Rain = Good. I usually don't like dubbed voices, either. But this show kept me entertained in spite of that.

Watch these 2 shows if you like good shows. Otherwise, go watch The Ranch or something.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2018 8:42 am
  • Parenthood was one of our favorites. Great show.

Watched Anon over the weekend. Meh. Has potential but it doesn't really go where it needs to and the ending is really disappointing. I gave it a thumbs down.

What about Safe? Anyone hear of that? Is it a Dexter-type show?

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed May 16, 2018 9:56 am
  • Netflix has another great murder documentary, Evil Genius. It's an easy 4 episode watch and is awesome.

Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 10:09 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Netflix has another great murder documentary, Evil Genius. It's an easy 4 episode watch and is awesome.

I just started watching this. Only got through the 1st of the 4 episodes, but I've found it very interesting so far.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:41 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information