Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The Netflix Shows Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: The Netflix Shows Thread
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:15 pm
  • Finished S1 of Narcos: Mexico. If you loved Narcos you will love this.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:11 am
  • Binged Final Table over the holiday weekend, really well done cooking competition show.

Unlike Iron Chef that lames out on having "celebrity chefs," Final Table brought in some brilliant chefs to judge and critique the competition chefs.

Again, great show if you even remotely enjoy this type of cooking series. Production is crazy, and very well produced.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:42 pm
  • The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is pretty good (Coen Bros.). Very interesting. 6 short stories in one movie, and they're all good.
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:32 pm
  • Finished binging on the “Travelers” first season over the weekend. It’s an older (2016?) show which may have already been discussed here (I don’t have the patience to go back 500+ posts to check). Very interesting premise of time travel... not the greatest acting or writing, but entertaining (for me). Starting Season 2 this week, and Season 3 is going to be released on December 14th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    AKNFidel
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:19 pm
  • AKNFidel wrote:Finished binging on the “Travelers” first season over the weekend. It’s an older (2016?) show which may have already been discussed here (I don’t have the patience to go back 500+ posts to check). Very interesting premise of time travel... not the greatest acting or writing, but entertaining (for me). Starting Season 2 this week, and Season 3 is going to be released on December 14th.

Agreed. Acting isn’t great but I enjoy the premise and the way the story has built this far.
    kidhawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:08 am
  • Aros wrote:Finished S1 of Narcos: Mexico. If you loved Narcos you will love this.

Love the show..Both! :2thumbs:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:15 am
  • Finally started Godless over the weekend, got through the first three episodes and really like it. Jeff Daniels is fantastic as Frank Griffin. I like the premise and where the story is going so far.

The show is so indulgent, talk about a slow burn. Some shots and scenes linger waaaay longer than other shows and movies usually are comfortable with. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but it doesn't bother me.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:33 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Finally started Godless over the weekend, got through the first three episodes and really like it. Jeff Daniels is fantastic as Frank Griffin. I like the premise and where the story is going so far.

The show is so indulgent, talk about a slow burn. Some shots and scenes linger waaaay longer than other shows and movies usually are comfortable with. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but it doesn't bother me.

IMO isn't that a sign of a great western, the longshots, allowing the scenery to set the tone and giving you that wide open spaces desolate perspective of the old west?
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:04 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Finally started Godless over the weekend, got through the first three episodes and really like it. Jeff Daniels is fantastic as Frank Griffin. I like the premise and where the story is going so far.

IMO isn't that a sign of a great western, the longshots, allowing the scenery to set the tone and giving you that wide open spaces desolate perspective of the old west?

Definitely. It's well done and the cinematography is gorgeous. My SO on the other hand thinks the show is too slow and hangs on those shots for too long.

I just hope it gets used well through the entire season. Would like to see it help build up to and/or contrast big, chaotic moments.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:19 am
  • For those of you who have watched American Horror Story, what season would you suggest we start with after the 1st season? We are just getting started on finally watching this show, feels like we are the last 2 on the planet who haven't seen much of AHS. But I was told to not watch them in order after the 1st season.
    OR, is every season just completely different. Thx
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:24 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:For those of you who have watched American Horror Story, what season would you suggest we start with after the 1st season? We are just getting started on finally watching this show, feels like we are the last 2 on the planet who haven't seen much of AHS. But I was told to not watch them in order after the 1st season.
    OR, is every season just completely different. Thx

They are like a Stephen King Book, they have tidbits of other books sprinkled thru the episodes that your not aware of until you watch them many times.

Each season has it's own story line but using many of the same actors.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:46 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Finally started Godless over the weekend, got through the first three episodes and really like it. Jeff Daniels is fantastic as Frank Griffin. I like the premise and where the story is going so far.

Definitely. It's well done and the cinematography is gorgeous. My SO on the other hand thinks the show is too slow and hangs on those shots for too long.

I just hope it gets used well through the entire season. Would like to see it help build up to and/or contrast big, chaotic moments.

Oh it builds. Godless, like every great western and when I sex ur moms.................... has a fantastic climax.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:52 am
  • lmao
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:56 am
  • Thx, I'm sure I'm gonna' dig the show. We love creepy stuff. We finished Haunting of Hill House a couple weeks back, so damn good.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:57 pm
  • Anyone watched Norsemen yet? At first I ignored it,but someone told me they thought it was really funny, so I gave the first episode a shot. Was hooked, ended up binge watching in several days.

It's actually a Norwegian made show, but they also film it in English.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:54 am
  • You guys check out Ballad of Buster Scruggs yet? If you're as big of a Coen Brothers fan as me, definitely check it out.

There's a lot to unpack in that elevator pitch sentence. So, by anthology film, I mean it's composed of 6 short films, which we most often see in horror like Creepshow or VHS. But these shorts are all set in the old west, and all written and directed by the Coen brothers.

I really enjoyed it, but you shouldn't go into it expecting to see the next great Coen opus.

It sounds like a Coen movie. The dialog has all their signature tics. The soundtrack is by Carter Burwell who's worked with them for years. The cinematography is NOT by Roger Deakins, so it doesn't have the exact look of some of the high-end Coen films. It's missing the dark, brooding lighting, and the grainy griminess you see in most of them. But in return you get a western setting that looks appropriately bright, vivid and wide open during the day, but overwhelmingly dark and imposing as the sun sets.

It also feels Coeny. There are dark parts, humorous parts, and dark humor throughout. There's also the overarching nihilistic sentiment that life is meaningless and we're all tiny beings living pointless lives in a big world that doesn't give a shit about us.

Every story was entertaining. The acting was great (standouts included Tim Blake Nelson, Zoe Kazan, Harry Melling, and Tom Waits, of all people). In a way it felt like an old west version of Black Mirror where every short had its own version of darkness, even if it was also optimistic or had a nominally happy ending, but they all had a similar feel and voice to them, and could potentially be occurring in the same universe.

Also much like Black Mirror episodes, I'd be hard pressed to pick one that clearly stood out as a favorite, and even if I think about which ones I preferred least, I start thinking about aspects of every one of them I really enjoyed.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:01 am
  • Its on Amazon, but i enjoyed the new Jack Ryan series. 8 episodes, good story, good actors

(Speaking of Prime... if you have toddlers, Shaun the Sheep is terrific to plop then in front of)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:12 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Its on Amazon, but i enjoyed the new Jack Ryan series. 8 episodes, good story, good actors

(Speaking of Prime... if you have toddlers, Shaun the Sheep is terrific to plop then in front of)

Not to take this too far off course, but my daughter (she's 3) isn't really into Shaun the Sheep. Her Prime shows she enjoys are (in no particular order)

Daniel Tiger
    Fireman Sam
    Dino Dana

There are others she'll mix in there, but those are the ones she seems to watch the most.

P.S. And for anyone who says screen time is a horrible thing for a toddler has never experienced a toddler who hates to ride in a car. Tablets are lifesavers.

Back to more along the lines of this thread....I haven't seen the Ryan series yet, but it is on my list to get watched as time allows. Glad to hear it was well done.
    kidhawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:00 pm
  • I chose shaun the sheep because there is literally no talking... :)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:36 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I chose shaun the sheep because there is literally no talking... :)

Nice :2thumbs:

I've found if I try to choose for her, she pretty much automatically doesn't like it
    kidhawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:51 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I chose shaun the sheep because there is literally no talking... :)

I've found if I try to choose for her, she pretty much automatically doesn't like it

As someone who has a 19 year old daughter, I'd like to tell you it's just a phase................but it's not.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I chose shaun the sheep because there is literally no talking... :)

As someone who has a 19 year old daughter, I'd like to tell you it's just a phase................but it's not.

Of that I have no doubt....I'd just hoped the phase wouldn't start before she at least started school :lol:
    kidhawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:14 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

Of that I have no doubt....I'd just hoped the phase wouldn't start before she at least started school :lol:

LOL, my grand daughter is 8 in the second grade and she will not go to school without color coordinated clothes and shoes already. She says she doesn't want to look like someone dressed her from a lost and found.

My son created a monster along with her mom.

She also has no problem sending food back if it isn't done how she requested, like no pickles on a burger or if they fries or tenders are not hot enough.

I laugh I said it is only going to get better by the time she is a teenager.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:16 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

Ha. Nope.

Pro Tip: It's all about giving her options, that way she thinks she's making the final decisions. Clothes, food, tv shows, whatever............options is the key to minimizing fights and meltdowns.

chicks man............
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:40 pm
  • Looks like Netflix may be killing off all the Marvel originals. Daredevil was cancelled after what was arguably its best season. I wouldn’t be surprised if the upcoming seasons of Jessica Jones and punisher are also their last.
    kidhawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:43 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:Looks like Netflix may be killing off all the Marvel originals. Daredevil was cancelled after what was arguably its best season. I wouldn’t be surprised if the upcoming seasons of Jessica Jones and punisher are also their last.

This is set up for the Disney Streaming Channel, they will all be back with Disney.

Whats funny is that Infinity war is going to be on Netflix Dec 25th.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:16 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:

It's not a Western, but I simply never get tired of the scenery (and Ry Cooder slide guitar soundtrack) in "Paris, Texas". Same with "Zabriskie Point". Also, the cover of the November National Geographic is very beautiful. Bears Ears National Monument, Utah, which I'd never heard of... but it is the horse and rider, captured in that classical Western "light" (if that makes any sense)?
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:45 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:Looks like Netflix may be killing off all the Marvel originals. Daredevil was cancelled after what was arguably its best season. I wouldn’t be surprised if the upcoming seasons of Jessica Jones and punisher are also their last.

This is set up for the Disney Streaming Channel, they will all be back with Disney.

Netflix insists it has nothing to do with Disney's agreement, and I believe them because that agreement was signed over five years ago, before any of the Netflix Marvel shows even went into production.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/11/30 ... ncelations

It's a simple as rapidly decreasing viewership, and let's be honest extremely disappointing seasons from all of the franchises. Yeah season 3 of DD was good (even though I hated the finale, so lame), but season two of JJ was awful, and Defenders had really low viewership as per Netflix of any of their shows, not just the Marvel shows. Iron Fist, terrible. Luke Cage, average. Punisher. Meh.

In the end IMO it's a good thing. I'd rather Netflix pull the plug then continue making uninspired and below average seasons for these shows. They flew too close the sun, got greedy and over saturated the programming.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:36 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:Looks like Netflix may be killing off all the Marvel originals. Daredevil was cancelled after what was arguably its best season. I wouldn’t be surprised if the upcoming seasons of Jessica Jones and punisher are also their last.

Netflix insists it has nothing to do with Disney's agreement, and I believe them because that agreement was signed over five years ago, before any of the Netflix Marvel shows even went into production.

It's a simple as rapidly decreasing viewership, and let's be honest extremely disappointing seasons from all of the franchises. Yeah season 3 of DD was good (even though I hated the finale, so lame), but season two of JJ was awful, and Defenders had really low viewership as per Netflix of any of their shows, not just the Marvel shows. Iron Fist, terrible. Luke Cage, average. Punisher. Meh.

In the end IMO it's a good thing. I'd rather Netflix pull the plug then continue making uninspired and below average seasons for these shows. They flew too close the sun, got greedy and over saturated the programming.

Netflix wasn't making these shows. They were simply licensing and distributing them. They were made by Marvel Studios. Netflix is dropping them because the production costs that Marvel was charging, as well as creative differences, became too prohibitive. These characters will live on on Disney+.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:23 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Its on Amazon, but i enjoyed the new Jack Ryan series. 8 episodes, good story, good actors

Not to take this too far off course, but my daughter (she's 3) isn't really into Shaun the Sheep. Her Prime shows she enjoys are (in no particular order)

Daniel Tiger
    Fireman Sam
    Dino Dana

There are others she'll mix in there, but those are the ones she seems to watch the most.

P.S. And for anyone who says screen time is a horrible thing for a toddler has never experienced a toddler who hates to ride in a car. Tablets are lifesavers.

Back to more along the lines of this thread....I haven't seen the Ryan series yet, but it is on my list to get watched as time allows. Glad to hear it was well done.

Fireman Sam is better if you can find the ones where the characters have British accents. I much prefer that to the Americanized one. My kids used to love those.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:30 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:You guys check out Ballad of Buster Scruggs yet?

Watched it last night. I enjoyed it but it definitely isn't on the level of many of the other Coen Brothers projects.

It took me a while to realize the thespian guy was Dudley Dursley. Looks totally different than he did in the Harry Potter movies.

I too have trouble picking a favorite. The second act with James Franco was probably my least favorite. The last 4 were all excellent.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 pm
  • drcool wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:You guys check out Ballad of Buster Scruggs yet?

Watched it last night. I enjoyed it but it definitely isn't on the level of many of the other Coen Brothers projects.

It took me a while to realize the thespian guy was Dudley Dursley. Looks totally different than he did in the Harry Potter movies.

I too have trouble picking a favorite. The second act with James Franco was probably my least favorite. The last 4 were all excellent.

IMO Buster Scruggs will be like O Brother, Inside Llewyn Davis or Burn After Reading..............it'll take multiple viewings to appreciate more.

Plus its kinda unfair to compare (which I know everyone likes to do), as it's the first anthology style movie the Coen's did. All I'd say is it's EXTREMELY difficult to film six short vignettes and not have any one of them fall flat.

My favorite? Most enjoyable was the first, Tim Blake Nelson is a straight up pimp. One of the most underrated character actors in the business.

But if I had to choose, it'd be the Prospector. Tom Waits was incredible, and the vistas and cinematography is just insanely gorgeous. Makes me wish I saw Buster Scruggs in the theater.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:27 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Viewership on some of these was increasing, Dare Devil especially as well as Luke Cage, the rating scores for episodes also improved over first years on some. The trajectory was up Disney / Marvel started to up the anti because it was working and Netflix was making money, then they started to wander of script with characters and the actors wanted to get paid also.

Success to fast and now taking billion dollar loan out to fund programming, Also the Disney / Comcast buyout had been in the works for a while and both were not going to let Netflix distribute shows they now owned rights too. Easier to pull the plug now I would think.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:00 pm
  • I know it wasn't on Netflix (think it was Fox), but did anyone watch the whole first (and only) season of "Terra Nova"? I was a bit ambivalent about it, but I've watched worse. Had a crush on the woman who led the rebel "Sixers". ;)

I've got all the episodes, but only watched five or six of them.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:30 am
  • Aros wrote:Finished S1 of Narcos: Mexico. If you loved Narcos you will love this.

Agreed it was awesome but yet the ending was depressing as I did not know the outcome....hope they extend it another season.
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:22 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:
    Aros wrote:Finished S1 of Narcos: Mexico. If you loved Narcos you will love this.

Agreed it was awesome but yet the ending was depressing as I did not know the outcome....hope they extend it another season.

Narcos is a global streaming juggernaut, of course it's coming back.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ix-1160463

It's flat out ridiculous how well Narcos is done. I can't even imagine how much Netflix spends on the production budget, but it's in every single frame.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:29 am
  • I guess I'll have to start watching Narcos...
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:22 am
  • I watched Ballad of Buster Scruggs this weekend. It's very well done. And it took me a while to realize that the actor that played Dudley Dursley in the Harry Potter movies is the same guy who plays the Artist.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:21 am
  • The wife and I watched Alphonso Cuaron's Roma this weekend, it's on Netflix and in theaters.

Not for everyone, as it's a black and white movie with subtitles and is one of those "very personal" type movies that Cuaron made to give us a glimpse into his childhood as an angst riddled kid growing up in Mexico City during the Mexican class war in the early 70's. Parent's going through a divorce, absentee father, mother didn't cope well................. yet their housemaid was the maternal mother figure he and his siblings needed, even though she was also going through some horrible things.

Like Gravity and Children of Men, Roma has some insane cinematography with Cuaron's trademark "long shots" that go on for seemingly forever meticulously and painstakenly shot to the point of perfection and awe inspired genius.

But if you love filmmaking, Cuaron's substance and style, and hell just a type of movie that no one even makes anymore, let alone has the skill to pull off? Highly recommended, I loved it, and so did the wife. Just a beautifully made movie, and a beautiful story.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:53 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Its on Amazon, but i enjoyed the new Jack Ryan series. 8 episodes, good story, good actors

Very much enjoyed it, but wish they had done more episodes (8 was NOT enough).
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:55 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

I watched Godless when it first came out about a year ago. Loved it. Time to re-watch it now.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:57 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    AKNFidel wrote:Finished binging on the “Travelers” first season over the weekend. It’s an older (2016?) show which may have already been discussed here (I don’t have the patience to go back 500+ posts to check). Very interesting premise of time travel... not the greatest acting or writing, but entertaining (for me). Starting Season 2 this week, and Season 3 is going to be released on December 14th.

Agreed. Acting isn’t great but I enjoy the premise and the way the story has built this far.

I just finished season 3. The acting tightens up as the seasons go on. Some of the writing is questionable, and at the end of season 3 its as if the writers said, well, this isn't sustainable anymore, so let's reboot the whole thing and try again. But I'll still watch it.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:58 pm
  • Just starting Jessica Jones over the last few days. Dark, but interesting.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:15 pm

I missed this post, sorry. What series is this, please?
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:29 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Its on Amazon, but i enjoyed the new Jack Ryan series. 8 episodes, good story, good actors

I missed this post, sorry. What series is this, please?

It's either called jack Ryan or Tom Clancy's jack Ryan
    kidhawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:39 pm
  • Bird Box on Netflix is one of their better movies. It stars Sandra Bullock. It’s kind of a different take on The Quiet Place. Not a great movie, but worth the watch.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:24 pm
  • My nephew mentioned Lucifer last night...Anyone seen it?
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:18 pm
  • Aros wrote:My nephew mentioned Lucifer last night...Anyone seen it?

Oh yeah, I enjoy it. Seasons 1-3 aired on Fox until it was canceled this past Summer. Then Netflix picked it up and season 4 will be released in 2019. Fun fact, my friend's brother plays the street preacher in the pilot episode.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:23 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Narcos was good.

Yeah, I watched all 3 seasons of Narcos. Well-done.

I haven't subscribed to Netflix - yet.

Lot of great material on in.
    Vesuve
    NET Starter

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:49 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Anyone watched Norsemen yet? At first I ignored it,but someone told me they thought it was really funny, so I gave the first episode a shot. Was hooked, ended up binge watching in several days.

It's actually a Norwegian made show, but they also film it in English.

I watched it and liked it a lot.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:13 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information