The Netflix Shows Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: The Netflix Shows Thread
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:28 am
  • LOL! He's so great. I remember last year watching Humanity. The segment about the plane crash and whistle, I nearly pissed myself. Thanks for the tip of Derek, I will definitely check it out.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:21 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Not a Netflux show, but we don't have a Hulu thread and Im nit gonna make one. Letterkenny is hilarious.

I started watching this 5 years ago when it was just 90 second skits. Got picked up by Crave (Canadian tv) and made into full shows.

Its fantastic. Season 1 takes a few episodes to settle but once the characters get going and the formatting hits its a lot if fun.

Great soundtrack as well.

Glad you found it. I try and spread the word.

Squirrely Dan is played by comedian K. Trevor Wilson. His standup is great and hes guest starring on the new Amazon show with Mindy kaling
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 pm
  • Just watched Triple Frontier last night. Not great but not horrible either. Some of the stuff seems pretty unrealistic but I like the cast and the plot was pretty good. Definitely worth watching but don't expect it to blow you away.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 am
  • drcool wrote:Just watched Triple Frontier last night. Not great but not horrible either. Some of the stuff seems pretty unrealistic but I like the cast and the plot was pretty good. Definitely worth watching but don't expect it to blow you away.

We watched Triple Frontier Last night.

I'd have a hard time recommending this movie to anyone. It's OK, but that's it, just OK............which is a damning statement when you consider the actors and writer. I expected MUCH better from Mark Boal, who wrote the screenplays for Zero Dark Thirty and Hurt Locker. As well as a cast like Affleck, Oscar Isaac, Charlie Hunnam and Pedro Pascal. Wasted talent and potential.

It reminds me of the forgettable generic action/war movie in the 2000's. Behind Enemy Lines, Rescue Dawn, crap like that. Competent enough, but doesn't do anything to make it special.

Netflix is definitely spending enough on these movie budgets, but they haven't quite figured out to take the next step and make them great. Some exceptions (Roma, Mudbound), but WAY too much money being spend on these big budget movies, with very little great success.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:09 am
  • The OA part II is out right now if anybody is interested.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:52 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:The OA part II is out right now if anybody is interested.

WHAT
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:04 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:The OA part II is out right now if anybody is interested.

WHAT

First episode is good too. I was wondering how they were going to continue the story. Seems like a cool direction they're taking.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:50 pm
  • Thanks for the tip on the OA coming back.

Happy! is a really good show for anyone that is into dark humor. We really enjoyed it. Season 2 is about to start on the SYFY network as well.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:29 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:The OA part II is out right now if anybody is interested.

WHAT

SWEET!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:38 pm
  • On My Block season 2 comes out this Friday. Good timing too because I'm almost done with OA which, btw, is insane this season. It's like Stranger Things and Hill House smashed into one.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:34 pm
  • Love, Death, and Robots is fantastic.

It's an anthology, each episode is 10 to 15 mins long. Different stories, animation styles. Its really really good.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:23 am
  • Just started S2/E1 of OA. Was lost there the first half...Can't wait to keep watching. I will check out robots...
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:51 am
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Love, Death, and Robots is fantastic.

It's an anthology, each episode is 10 to 15 mins long. Different stories, animation styles. Its really really good.

Damn you're not kidding! I am thoroughly enjoying this series! Love the diverse animation and stories. Hope they continue to future seasons. It blows my mind how close we are getting to hyper-realism with CG/animation. In some of the episodes there are scenes you can't even tell they aren't real humans.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:50 am
  • Aros wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Love, Death, and Robots is fantastic.

Damn you're not kidding! I am thoroughly enjoying this series! Love the diverse animation and stories. Hope they continue to future seasons. It blows my mind how close we are getting to hyper-realism with CG/animation. In some of the episodes there are scenes you can't even tell they aren't real humans.

My oldest swears by it so i watched the first one. It's tremendous.

Done by Topher Grace. He's done some Star Wars and Lord of the Rings mashups (he condensed all the movies into one 4-5 hour movie for both anthologies) that have been well received, including a 5 minute trailer of all the Star wars movies as if it was one, long story
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:49 am
  • Watched first couple episodes of Black Summer. Kind of like a lower budget Walking Dead. So far I’m enjoying it.

The new Kevin Hart stand up was pretty good. Started a little slow but picked up near the end.

Watched about half of The Silence, seemed okay. Definitely similar to A Quiet Place.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:42 am
  • Finished the latest season of OA. Not sure what to think. It's good, compelling even, but it seemed sporadic and indefinite to me. Like they are trying to be too deep but without context at times. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very cool series and I am glued to each episode but this season lost me a touch. Still, I think it's worth the watch but beware, you need to really pay attention from episode to episode.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:08 am
  • Gotta check out Black Summer, friend has been bugging me to see it. Sounds really cool.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 06, 2019 5:00 pm
  • The new Ted Bundy movie is out, thought Zac Efron did a great job playing him. It wasn't great, but I found it very enjoyable.

I started the new series, Dead To Me, which stars Christina Applegate. Liked the first epsidoe, will try to watch some more later this week.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon May 06, 2019 11:38 pm
  • I will have to check out both...I was meaning to...
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue May 07, 2019 8:41 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:The new Ted Bundy movie is out, thought Zac Efron did a great job playing him. It wasn't great, but I found it very enjoyable.

I started the new series, Dead To Me, which stars Christina Applegate. Liked the first epsidoe, will try to watch some more later this week.

The wife and I started Dead to Me last night. I thought it was just a comedy, but it's far more layered and dark........so we're digging it so far.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 08, 2019 10:16 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:The wife and I started Dead to Me last night. I thought it was just a comedy, but it's far more layered and dark........so we're digging it so far.

Agreed...Watched the first episode last night. I like it. I had a feeling about her friend. The ending cemented it.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu May 09, 2019 10:22 am
  • Aros wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:The wife and I started Dead to Me last night. I thought it was just a comedy, but it's far more layered and dark........so we're digging it so far.

Agreed...Watched the first episode last night. I like it. I had a feeling about her friend. The ending cemented it.

Keep it rolling, each episode has been better than the last as the plot unfolds and more shocking turns happen.

Really impressed with the writing, it's very smart. Not easy to make this kind of show.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 09, 2019 1:37 pm
  • Blue Planet is awesome.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu May 09, 2019 3:56 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Keep it rolling, each episode has been better than the last as the plot unfolds and more shocking turns happen. Really impressed with the writing, it's very smart. Not easy to make this kind of show.

Good to know. Looking forward to the other episodes.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat May 11, 2019 8:31 pm
  • Abyss: Korean Supernatural/Crime/Drama/Comedy that pokes fun at shallow and superficial culture in 1 hour bites.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2019 6:27 am
  • Dead to me is pretty good.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu May 16, 2019 7:44 am
  • I am either late to the party on this or the first to mention, but I am really enjoying Barry on HBO. Halfway through second season. It's hilarious but also really intense. Comedy first and foremost but a lot of it is every bit as suspenseful and intense as BB.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri May 24, 2019 12:58 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Aros wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:The wife and I started Dead to Me last night. I thought it was just a comedy, but it's far more layered and dark........so we're digging it so far.

Keep it rolling, each episode has been better than the last as the plot unfolds and more shocking turns happen.

Really impressed with the writing, it's very smart. Not easy to make this kind of show.

Watched the first 3 episodes last night..Pretty good show :2thumbs:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri May 24, 2019 8:28 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:I am either late to the party on this or the first to mention, but I am really enjoying Barry on HBO. Halfway through second season. It's hilarious but also really intense. Comedy first and foremost but a lot of it is every bit as suspenseful and intense as BB.

NoHo Hank is my new favorite character on TV.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri May 24, 2019 8:42 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:I am either late to the party on this or the first to mention, but I am really enjoying Barry on HBO. Halfway through second season. It's hilarious but also really intense. Comedy first and foremost but a lot of it is every bit as suspenseful and intense as BB.

NoHo Hank is my new favorite character on TV.

The actor totally crushes that character, he's hilarious. One of my favorites now too.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri May 24, 2019 9:59 am
  • He's great. But I think Henry Winkler is funnier.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri May 24, 2019 10:03 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:He's great. But I think Henry Winkler is funnier.

The amount of irony swirling around Barry, Gene and the acting class is out of this world. It's almost cringe inducing -- and I love it.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Sat May 25, 2019 1:30 pm
  • Really enjoyed Dead To Me, one of those great shows to binge. I find myself liking shows that are only about a half hour.

If you are a dog lover, check out the new show, It’s Bruno. It’s absolutely hilarious and episodes are only about 20 minutes. It’s about a guy and his dog who live in Brooklyn.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2019 9:47 pm
  • So far Chernobyl is fantastic and terrifying on HBO.
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Tue May 28, 2019 12:30 am
  • bevellisthedevil wrote:So far Chernobyl is fantastic and terrifying on HBO.
    This Chernobyl show is more frightening than just about every horror show I have ever watched! To think this happened and effected so many people and this planet scares the crap out of me! Great show so far I must say.
    BubbaGump
    NET Rookie

Tue May 28, 2019 8:55 am
  • BubbaGump wrote:
    bevellisthedevil wrote:So far Chernobyl is fantastic and terrifying on HBO.
    This Chernobyl show is more frightening than just about every horror show I have ever watched! To think this happened and effected so many people and this planet scares the crap out of me! Great show so far I must say.

Pretty sure watching the first couple episodes Saturday night before bed caused me to have stress dreams. Great dramatization of what happened.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed May 29, 2019 8:55 am
  • Screw horror movies, Chernobyl is the most terrifying thing I've ever watched. Good god man.

I mean, I remember being in high school talking about it, but that was at the height of the Cold War, so it's not like we had a ton of information or details. They made it sound more like the Three Mile Island meltdown, way more minor in nature.

HBO deserves all the awards come award season, they could have easily made Chernobyl a straight up docu-series. Instead they made it so heartbreakingly inter-personal that you're begging for mercy by the end of most scenes.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 29, 2019 2:51 pm

Awesome, awesome show. Loving it. Also, I read today that Mindhunter season 2 is starting in August. :D
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Wed May 29, 2019 3:17 pm
  • Seahwkgal wrote:

Awesome, awesome show. Loving it. Also, I read today that Mindhunter season 2 is starting in August. :D

That's super exciting.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed May 29, 2019 7:14 pm
  • Agree about Chernobyl. Its messed up how bad this was. Wonder how many people actually died or are dying as a result of this.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu May 30, 2019 8:40 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Agree about Chernobyl. Its messed up how bad this was. Wonder how many people actually died or are dying as a result of this.

So far the estimates are anywhere from 4,000-6,000 deaths attributed to Chernobyl.......but again if you're watching the show, you know that Russia hasn't exactly been forthcoming with admitting how many people died, and will continue to die due to their incompetence with handling the disaster.

So my guess is this number is low, and probably will never be known due to how long that area will be poisoned with radiation for a very long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_du ... '_accounts
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 30, 2019 11:31 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:Agree about Chernobyl. Its messed up how bad this was. Wonder how many people actually died or are dying as a result of this.

So far the estimates are anywhere from 4,000-6,000 deaths attributed to Chernobyl.......but again if you're watching the show, you know that Russia hasn't exactly been forthcoming with admitting how many people died, and will continue to die due to their incompetence with handling the disaster.

So my guess is this number is low, and probably will never be known due to how long that area will be poisoned with radiation for a very long time.

That has to be way low, that many have died from Hanford here in the US in Washington state due to the purposeful release of toxins into the water supply by the government as an experiment, most will never be counted however as the Cancer rate for all the victims was called Cancer and not Radiation poisoning.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu May 30, 2019 2:54 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:Agree about Chernobyl. Its messed up how bad this was. Wonder how many people actually died or are dying as a result of this.

I figure the same I was thinking likely tens of thousands. Russia was never one to admit something is as bad as it really is...a lot of people sacrificed or were ordered to be sacrificed to save the most of that continent
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:58 pm
  • Hey heads up if you haven't checked it out yet, Ava DuVernay's "When They See Us" is one of the most moving, heartbreaking, and inspirational things I've ever seen on TV. Many people are familiar with the Central Park Five, but DuVernay's limited Netflix series on the issue is an absolute masterpiece IMO.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:10 pm

So what you're saying is it's time for my annual call to Comcast to b!@ch about something so they give me 3 months of HBO for free?
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:52 pm
  • Aros wrote:

So what you're saying is it's time for my annual call to Comcast to b!@ch about something so they give me 3 months of HBO for free?

Yes, absolutely.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:24 pm
  • Black Mirror new season out. First episode is different for sure. The next two were not great.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:17 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Black Mirror new season out. First episode is different for sure. The next two were not great.

The one with Miley Cyrus was actually not bad, especially the 2nd half once they remove the limiter from the robot. Also, Miley's cover of "Head Like A Hole" is surprisingly decent.

SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:54 pm
  • I am not sure what to think of the new season of Black Mirror. I came in with high expectations as it's one of my favorite Netflix series. On one hand, each episode affords the staple sociological/psychological impact in regards to new tech and its fallout implications, but each episode seemed to fall short of the raw, candid, provocative and emotional writing we saw in S1.

That is not to say that the new season is bad. I found entertainment in each episode. The Miley Cyrus season finale was in some parts predictably campy and silly while somehow just "worked" for what it was. Nowhere near their best but it was fun all the same. Miley dipping her toes into the world of acting wasn't as bad as I would have thought. Of course for the most part she was playing herself so that's the thespian equivalent of wading in the shallow end of the pool.

The most thought-provoking to me by far was the two friends getting caught up in a virtual reality world game where a surprising turn of events forces them to reevaluate their "real world" relationship and the complications that it inevitably brings upon their real life relationships with others (girlfriends, wives, family).

It made me think of the premise of reincarnation. Whether you believe in the concept or not, imagine IF you were to discover that your current best friend, pal, buddy was your wife or lover in a past life. How would that knowledge affect your relationship with the person in this life?

Heady stuff! I just wish there were more than 3 measly episodes. What's up with that?!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:20 am
  • Aros wrote:Miley dipping her toes into the world of acting wasn't as bad as I would have thought. Of course for the most part she was playing herself so that's the thespian equivalent of wading in the shallow end of the pool.

It's not really "dipping her toes in", she's been acting since she was 9. Her first role was in her dad's TV show Doc in 2001. I do agree, though, that playing Ashley O is basically just rehashing her Hannah Montana character in a different genre, so not really a massive stretch.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information