The Netflix Shows Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: The Netflix Shows Thread
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:27 am
  • Sounds like an early 2020 release date for Season 3 of Ozark. Love that show.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:11 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:The OA has been cancelled after 2 seasons. Not sure I want to start watching it knowing that it doesn't get a proper ending.

It's a good watch either way. I kind of doubt there ever was going to be a proper ending anyway, at least not a satisfying one.

Huge bummer on my end. I really dug how weird S2 got and was looking forward to the next chapter of the story.

One of the actors said The OA was planned for 5 seasons, so it's possible they did have an ending in mind.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:24 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:The OA has been cancelled after 2 seasons. Not sure I want to start watching it knowing that it doesn't get a proper ending.

It's a good watch either way. I kind of doubt there ever was going to be a proper ending anyway, at least not a satisfying one.

Huge bummer on my end. I really dug how weird S2 got and was looking forward to the next chapter of the story.

One of the actors said The OA was planned for 5 seasons, so it's possible they did have an ending in mind.

Those of us that watched it all the way through got it, but if you just dipped your toe in the water for the first couple you may have been put off, it took a bit to get rolling and the marketing wasn't real dynamic either. Disappointed I wanted to see where it went from where it left off.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:47 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:

Those of us that watched it all the way through got it, but if you just dipped your toe in the water for the first couple you may have been put off, it took a bit to get rolling and the marketing wasn't real dynamic either. Disappointed I wanted to see where it went from where it left off.

I think you're probably right. While I thought the first episode was the best pilot I've ever seen, I have some friends who didn't find it that compelling or couldn't get past the first 2-3 episodes.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:55 am
  • Bummer on OA for sure...I too enjoyed that series. Would have loved to see it finish out. I see The Santa Clarita Diet got axed as well. Sucks, that show really grew on me and was surprisingly funny.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:13 pm
  • Yankee
    If you liked Narcos then try it.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:49 pm
  • GLOW is unreasonably good. It doesn't even make sense to me how much I enjoy this show. Lots of nudity this season too.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:44 pm
  • Mindhunter season 2 is out. Get to it.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:55 pm
  • I know this is a pretty sitcommy crowd, so I’ll throw Kim’s Convenience into the ring. One of the leads just got a leading role in a Marvel movie too.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:28 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Mindhunter season 2 is out. Get to it.

Just started watching it this morning. I have been jonesing for this new season to finally come out. I absolutely LOVE this show.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:02 am
  • Tical21 wrote:I know this is a pretty sitcommy crowd, so I’ll throw Kim’s Convenience into the ring. One of the leads just got a leading role in a Marvel movie too.

Agreed, great show and the Canadian angle actually makes it more interesting.
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:06 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:I know this is a pretty sitcommy crowd, so I’ll throw Kim’s Convenience into the ring. One of the leads just got a leading role in a Marvel movie too.

The one about the xxxxx?

Your thirst for disruption is getting annoying. I hope your next ban is a longer one.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:38 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    pehawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:I know this is a pretty sitcommy crowd, so I’ll throw Kim’s Convenience into the ring. One of the leads just got a leading role in a Marvel movie too.

The one about the xxxxx?

Your thirst for disruption is getting annoying. I hope your next ban is a longer one.

It probably will be, if Jville has any say in the matter.

Pmedic Jr? :lol: :sarcasm_on:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:34 pm
  • Seahwkgal wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Mindhunter season 2 is out. Get to it.

Just started watching it this morning. I have been jonesing for this new season to finally come out. I absolutely LOVE this show.

Me too. Who'dathunk watching the procedural part of tracking down serial killers would be this compelling. Speaks to how well Fincher and Penhall have nailed the writing, tension and mood of the show............which is what Fincher's good at. Giving us a peek behind the curtain of REAL horror without actually showing us the gore and murdering.

Great show.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:47 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seahwkgal wrote:

Me too. Who'dathunk watching the procedural part of tracking down serial killers would be this compelling. Speaks to how well Fincher and Penhall have nailed the writing, tension and mood of the show............which is what Fincher's good at. Giving us a peek behind the curtain of REAL horror without actually showing us the gore and murdering.

Great show.

I started S2 last night with the intention of watching one episode... ended up watching three. So well done.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:41 am
  • Well thx for recommending GLOW
    The wifey and I are 7 episodes in , it grabs you from the get go and has been consistently solid
    Very nice
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:43 am
  • New 13 Reasons Why dropped last night. This show may have jumped the shark, or "broomed the bum" as it were.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:42 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:New 13 Reasons Why dropped last night. This show may have jumped the shark, or "broomed the bum" as it were.

13 Reasons should have only been one season. Season two was weak, and I assume season three is even worse.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:43 am
  • We finished Mindhunter S2 last night. I liked the season overall, even though there wasn't much closure in the end. The guy they got to play Williams was spot on, holy cow. As someone who was born in '89, it was super interesting to learn about the Atlanta child murders. Can't imagine what it was like living in ATL at the time.

I'm interested to see what their plan is for the BTK storyline/intros/outros that they've shown so far. Is one of the seasons going to jump all the way forward to the 2000's, when BTK was caught in 2005?
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:06 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:We finished Mindhunter S2 last night. I liked the season overall, even though there wasn't much closure in the end. The guy they got to play Williams was spot on, holy cow. As someone who was born in '89, it was super interesting to learn about the Atlanta child murders. Can't imagine what it was like living in ATL at the time.

I'm interested to see what their plan is for the BTK storyline/intros/outros that they've shown so far. Is one of the seasons going to jump all the way forward to the 2000's, when BTK was caught in 2005?

Hell, they still have Bundy, Gacy and Ridgway to interview. I think the series will end with BTK.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:03 pm
  • I had to look up who played Manson in Mindhunter, the dude blew me away he was so amazing.

Name's Damon Herimann, who if you've watched Justified he played Dewey. He also plays Manson in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, so he obviously impressed Tarantino as well.

Esquire found this cool Mindhunter fan video that put the two interviews side by side, freaking bone chilling.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:41 pm
  • Dave's latest special, "Stick's & Stones". EVERYTHING about this is SPECIAL. I've watched it twice now and Chappelle layered the genius in this shit like Kubrick! He has officially become my favorite comedian OAT!
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:04 am
  • :shock: Sgt., that video is wild.

I know it's not a Netflix show, but we started The Righteous Gemstones last night. Two episodes in and I think it's hilarious. Love the premise.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:34 am
  • hgwellz12 wrote:Dave's latest special, "Stick's & Stones". EVERYTHING about this is SPECIAL. I've watched it twice now and Chappelle layered the genius in this shit like Kubrick! He has officially become my favorite comedian OAT!

Yes, it was fantastic. One of the 5 best stand up performances I have ever seen. Dave is a genius.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:40 am
  • Finished up Mindhunter last week, that show is great. I think it was what True Detective wanted to be. A really intriguing slow burn drama show. There are a lot of options they can go with next season.

The Chappelle standup was fantastic, one of his best.

Currently watching Glow, which is such a great watch.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:07 pm
  • hgwellz12 wrote:Dave's latest special, "Stick's & Stones". EVERYTHING about this is SPECIAL. I've watched it twice now and Chappelle layered the genius in this shit like Kubrick! He has officially become my favorite comedian OAT!

Chappelle is the closest thing we have to Pryor and Carlin.........comics that can articulate their social and political commentary in a way that creates two reactions, laughter and "oh shit he's tapped into something real there."

I'd also put Gervais on this level, but IMO Chappelle is the GOAT.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:55 am
  • JUICY SMOLLAYYY!
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:48 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seahwkgal wrote:

Great show.

I started S2 last night with the intention of watching one episode... ended up watching three. So well done.

Watched both seasons..Great show but no Bundy?
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:15 am
  • Season 2 is 1980-1981, so Bundy's trials would have just been getting finished. Perhaps next season...
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:59 pm
  • That will be interesting..And Pogo the clown :lol:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:45 pm
  • Anybody watch The Dark Crystal? I loved it. They really nailed it.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:21 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Season 2 is 1980-1981, so Bundy's trials would have just been getting finished. Perhaps next season...

Perhaps. Holden is based on John E. Douglas.

While traveling around the country providing instruction to police, Douglas began interviewing serial killers and other violent sex offenders at various prisons. He interviewed some of the most notable violent criminals in recent history as part of the study, including David Berkowitz, Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Charles Manson, Lynette Fromme, Sara Jane Moore, Edmund Kemper, James Earl Ray, Sirhan Sirhan, Richard Speck, Donald Harvey, Gary Ridgway and Joseph Paul Franklin. He used the information gleaned from these interviews in the book Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives, followed by the Crime Classification Manual (CCM). Douglas later received two Thomas Jefferson Awards for academic excellence from the University of Virginia for his work on the study.[1][2][3]

Here is a great picture comparison of the cast and real life counterparts:
    https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/g28714176/mindhunter-cast-photos-real-life-people/
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:52 pm
  • Just starting Unbelievable. Already frustrating af.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:01 am
  • Did I say frustrating? I meant infuriating.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:29 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I had to look up who played Manson in Mindhunter, the dude blew me away he was so amazing.

Name's Damon Herimann, who if you've watched Justified he played Dewey. He also plays Manson in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, so he obviously impressed Tarantino as well.

Esquire found this cool Mindhunter fan video that put the two interviews side by side, freaking bone chilling.

He's great as Dewey as well.

For me, the guy who plays Kemper is still the best on the show (just starting season 2 now though). What an incredible job. He played one of the "agents" in the Umbrella Academy.

It's been awhile since I found I show i really liked, but this one has just been very entertaining.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:44 am
  • Gamorrah is hard AF
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:35 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I had to look up who played Manson in Mindhunter, the dude blew me away he was so amazing.

He's great as Dewey as well.

For me, the guy who plays Kemper is still the best on the show (just starting season 2 now though). What an incredible job. He played one of the "agents" in the Umbrella Academy.

It's been awhile since I found I show i really liked, but this one has just been very entertaining.

Here's a side by side with all the actors who have played the serial killers in Mindhunter, and while I agree the Kemper actor is the best, they've all been REALLY good. Fincher's attention to detail with these guys is incredible.

https://www.insider.com/mindhunter-real ... brought-12
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:13 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Anybody watch The Dark Crystal? I loved it. They really nailed it.

I watched the first 2 minutes and then turned it off. I probably should give it more of a chance, but it felt like I was watching a children's show.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:49 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Anybody watch The Dark Crystal? I loved it. They really nailed it.

I watched the first 2 minutes and then turned it off. I probably should give it more of a chance, but it felt like I was watching a children's show.

I mean yeah, in a sense you are. I think a lot of people who aren't already fans of the franchise probably had a similar reaction, turning it off after just a couple minutes, realizing it's a puppet show. But if you were a fan of the original movie, or Labyrinth, or 80s fantasy and/or Jim Henson, it's really spot on and faithful not only to his work but to the genre. One of the few "modernizations" that really captures the spirit of the original and delivers similarly (in this case even more so, I would say) to those sort of dark, weird 80s fantasy stories.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:30 pm
  • Criminal? David Tennant? Just starting it. Has kind of a Mindhunter vibe so far.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:11 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Anybody watch The Dark Crystal? I loved it. They really nailed it.

A friend of mine said he and his family were watching it a few nights ago, and I thought he meant the original movie! I loved that movie anyway. Must see if I can find this new show somewhere. I used to correspond with a lady in Bellingham who paid something like $5,000 for a Jim Henson movie prop from the original.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:10 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Anybody watch The Dark Crystal? I loved it. They really nailed it.

A friend of mine said he and his family were watching it a few nights ago, and I thought he meant the original movie! I loved that movie anyway. Must see if I can find this new show somewhere. I used to correspond with a lady in Bellingham who paid something like $5,000 for a Jim Henson movie prop from the original.

A worthy purchase.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:15 am
  • So Criminal UK was great, particularly the first episode. I haven't watched the others (France, Spain, Germany) because I haven't been in the mood for subtitles. But I imagine they're on a similar level.

Unbelievable is another "crime drama" that I'm into right now. I haven't watched a lot of TV shows on rape, but this feels like a fairly accurate portrayal of how difficult it can be to deal with some bullshit like that happening to you and why people don't always speak up right away, and how difficult it makes your life either way. Probably a worthy watch regardless of the entertainment factor.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:39 pm
  • Glitch season 3 is out. I am super hooked on it. Binge watched the first two seasons about a month ago. I highly recommend.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:52 pm
  • Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Previous

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:24 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information