Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Netflix (and other) Shows Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: The Netflix Shows Thread
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:27 am
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Anybody watch The Irishman yet?

It's 3 1/2 hrs long, so I had to break it up into two viewings, but very very good. Obviously fantastic cast, even with Pacino doing his usual caricature over acting thing, but between De Niro and Pesci, Irishman's a master class in acting.

So if you love Scorsese (and if your don't stop watching movies), then The Irishman will not disappoint, it's a classic Scorsese mob film.

I watched it and thought it was really good, albeit slow at times. One complaint is that the de-aging crap was super distracting. How the hell old was De Niro supposed to be at the start of the movie? Pesci was calling him "the kid", but he didn't look much younger than 50 and he still moved like a 75 year old.

Yes some of the de-aging CGI was a little distracting.........and I actually laughed out loud when De Niro was beating up the grocer in front of his daughter, and he literally looked like a feeble 75 year old trying to hit someone. Not convincing at all.

But I get it, all these dudes are in their 70's and Scorsese's trying to tell a story that spans over 30 years. So for that type of tricky process, I'd give the age factor a B or B+.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:33 pm
  • Watched about 3 qtrs so far..
    I think it's pretty good and they are putting a lot of true characters in there.
    For instance (Joey Gallo) I read a book on him years ago and forgot
    about him,then you have all others in there where they post names
    and date of death also how they died.
    It's more like a mob history story from a certain point with plenty of
    action and drama but all the characters were true.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:29 am
  • Irishman gets a fail from me off the bat for trying to sell DeNiro as Irish. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? Totally distracting
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:08 pm
  • Daybreak was a fun one. A sort of Ferris Buellerish take on the zombie apocalypse from the perspective of some SoCal high school kids. Even got Matthew Broderick to play the principal to drive home the homage.

It's a pretty ridiculous take on the whole scenario, really funny and over the top, and even fairly graphic in spots. It's clearly written to entertain teenagers and young adults but very thematically mature in parts. But I guess today's young people are used to that. My mom wouldn't have let me watch this $h!t haha. Very modern with tons of pop culture references and some clever takes on "woke culture," sometimes being less than PC without punching down, if you know what I mean. Stylistically it's kind of all over the place, pulling from lots of other stuff you've seen before, but maintaining its own atmosphere and rhythm. Some cool, interesting characters and some weird ass wtf $h!t too. Oh and tons of music from different eras and genres.

Maybe it tries a little too hard in spots to seem original and unique when it's pretty obvious most of the time what they're trying to do and why. But overall, pretty thoroughly entertaining. Does a pretty good job of being silly when it needs to be silly and getting serious when it needs to get serious. You might catch yourself going from cracking up laughing to tearing up a bit from scene to scene.

Definitely not for everybody. If you can get through the first episode in its entirety without wanting to bail you might just have a chance of getting into it. Curious to hear what other people think about it, most people I talked to haven't given it a shot yet or gave up during the first episode.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:04 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Waiting for The Witcher.

It looks like it's going to be fun. Having read the books, I'm a bit worried about how they aged up Ciri (since there are some cool plot points that happen when she's from around 11-13 which I don't think can be done with an older version).

But, the character introductions look promising.

I probably made a mistake reading the novels and short stories, though. Maybe being completely surprised instead of slightly surprised will be better. Regardless, I'm gonna binge this in hopes of making a tiny contribution to improving the odds of a season 3 pickup. I'd really hate for the entire story not to be told.

And maybe if they finish the novel adaptation they can start in on some of what's in the games (or maybe Sapkowski will add to the novels?). Would really like to see the Wild Hunt (which only makes a couple token appearances in the novels).
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:21 pm
  • 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Waiting for The Witcher.

It looks like it's going to be fun. Having read the books, I'm a bit worried about how they aged up Ciri (since there are some cool plot points that happen when she's from around 11-13 which I don't think can be done with an older version).

I probably made a mistake reading the novels and short stories, though. Maybe being completely surprised instead of slightly surprised will be better. Regardless, I'm gonna binge this in hopes of making a tiny contribution to improving the odds of a season 3 pickup. I'd really hate for the entire story not to be told.

And maybe if they finish the novel adaptation they can start in on some of what's in the games (or maybe Sapkowski will add to the novels?). Would really like to see the Wild Hunt (which only makes a couple token appearances in the novels).

I got all 8 books and am reading them in the chronological sequence of the story, short stories then a portion of one book and back to another for the continuity.

They are doing the show a bit different then the books, they are doing all their back stories from my understanding in the first season then doing the meet ups and main story so it makes more sense.

Watched a few YouTube vids to gain some understanding background and feel, I could never read them before the series starts but I am fine I separate Shows from books well as different mediums.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:57 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Waiting for The Witcher.

I got all 8 books and am reading them in the chronological sequence of the story, short stories then a portion of one book and back to another for the continuity.

They are doing the show a bit different then the books, they are doing all their back stories from my understanding in the first season then doing the meet ups and main story so it makes more sense.

Watched a few YouTube vids to gain some understanding background and feel, I could never read them before the series starts but I am fine I separate Shows from books well as different mediums.

I think you'll need to actually interrupt the short stories and read Season of Storms and then return to the short stories if you want to read them in actual chronological order.

The best order I saw, in terms of chronological reading (and games), was this:

"The road of no return"

"A Grain of Truth"

"Lesser Evil"

"Edge of the world"

"Last wish"

"Season of Storms" (novel)

"A Matter of Price"

"The Witcher"

"The Voice of Reason" (all of them)

"Bounds of Reason"

"Shard of Ice"

"Eternal Fire"

"A little Sacrifice"

"Sword of Destiny"

"Something more"

Blood of Elves (novel)

Times of Contempt (novel)

Baptism of Fire (novel)

The Swallow's Tower (novel)

Lady of the Lake (novel)

Witcher 1

Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:07 pm
  • We watched Marriage Story last night.

Well acted for sure, but if I wanted to watch two selfish a*hole go through a nasty divorce I'd put in the old home movies of my own parents 30 years ago.

So yeah, I'd only recommend Marriage Story for those of you who want to be bummed out for two hours.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:56 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Daybreak was a fun one. A sort of Ferris Buellerish take on the zombie apocalypse from the perspective of some SoCal high school kids. Even got Matthew Broderick to play the principal to drive home the homage.

It's a pretty ridiculous take on the whole scenario, really funny and over the top, and even fairly graphic in spots. It's clearly written to entertain teenagers and young adults but very thematically mature in parts. But I guess today's young people are used to that. My mom wouldn't have let me watch this $h!t haha. Very modern with tons of pop culture references and some clever takes on "woke culture," sometimes being less than PC without punching down, if you know what I mean. Stylistically it's kind of all over the place, pulling from lots of other stuff you've seen before, but maintaining its own atmosphere and rhythm. Some cool, interesting characters and some weird ass wtf $h!t too. Oh and tons of music from different eras and genres.

Maybe it tries a little too hard in spots to seem original and unique when it's pretty obvious most of the time what they're trying to do and why. But overall, pretty thoroughly entertaining. Does a pretty good job of being silly when it needs to be silly and getting serious when it needs to get serious. You might catch yourself going from cracking up laughing to tearing up a bit from scene to scene.

Definitely not for everybody. If you can get through the first episode in its entirety without wanting to bail you might just have a chance of getting into it. Curious to hear what other people think about it, most people I talked to haven't given it a shot yet or gave up during the first episode.

I really enjoyed Daybreak. "Let's be monsters."
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:08 pm
  • 6 underground

Turn your brain off and enjoy some sweet explosions, hyper violence and corny Ryan Reynolds jokes.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:24 pm
  • The Confession Killer is Netflix’s next great crime documentary series. It is a wild story and just proves how incompetent our justice system is.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:30 am
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:6 underground

Turn your brain off and enjoy some sweet explosions, hyper violence and corny Ryan Reynolds jokes.

It's the Michael Bayiest Michael Bay that ever Michael Bay'd.

My wife turned to me after 6 Underground was over and said "you don't get to choose the movie we watch for the next six months."
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:43 am
  • I loved 6 Underground, but I'm not a Bay hater.

The Irishman was awesome and I find it funny that there is a Joey Gallo in it because that was Pesci's fake name in my Cousin Vinny.
    Last edited by Largent80 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:44 pm
  • Dolemite is my name
    Staring Eddie Murphy..Hillarious,it's a different take and based
    on a true person.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:35 pm
  • Ugh. I'm three episodes into the Witcher and I'm cringing left and right. They butchered this. I will say that the sword fights are epic as hell, probably the coolest I've ever seen. But they failed on so many levels, especially character development and world development. The result? More Xena: Warrior Princess than Game of Thrones. Yuck.

It's like they're rushing from plot point to plot point instead of telling a story. Also, they should have left certain short stories alone, including the one with the Sylvan. Or maybe they shouldn't have rushed it so much. Rushing. That's what they're doing, just like season 8 of Game of Thrones, but without the beloved, well known characters and dark, foreboding atmosphere (not to mention epic CGI).

I hope it gets better. I'll say episode 3 was a lot better than 1 and 2, but it has not come close to washing the cringe from my mouth.

I'm especially pissed at how they butchered The Lesser Evil. That needed to be two or three episodes, and Renfri didn't even threaten to take the city hostage. The closest we got to that was the little girl.

And don't get me started on the Ciri parts in episode 1. Those were actually ENTERTAINING, but, they spent twenty minutes on it before they started killing off the rather compelling characters. The Fall of Cintra happened way too soon. I would have liked to have gotten to know the tv version of the people of Cintra. But nope. Got to hurry up and get to the next plot point, so we get these great actors and compelling characters and then they just disappear twenty minutes in and we get to watch Ciri running through the woods.

God, they just ruined this.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:15 pm
  • 5_Golden_Rings wrote:Ugh. I'm three episodes into the Witcher and I'm cringing left and right. They butchered this. I will say that the sword fights are epic as hell, probably the coolest I've ever seen. But they failed on so many levels, especially character development and world development. The result? More Xena: Warrior Princess than Game of Thrones. Yuck.

It's like they're rushing from plot point to plot point instead of telling a story. Also, they should have left certain short stories alone, including the one with the Sylvan. Or maybe they shouldn't have rushed it so much. Rushing. That's what they're doing, just like season 8 of Game of Thrones, but without the beloved, well known characters and dark, foreboding atmosphere (not to mention epic CGI).

I hope it gets better. I'll say episode 3 was a lot better than 1 and 2, but it has not come close to washing the cringe from my mouth.

I'm especially pissed at how they butchered The Lesser Evil. That needed to be two or three episodes, and Renfri didn't even threaten to take the city hostage. The closest we got to that was the little girl.

And don't get me started on the Ciri parts in episode 1. Those were actually ENTERTAINING, but, they spent twenty minutes on it before they started killing off the rather compelling characters. The Fall of Cintra happened way too soon. I would have liked to have gotten to know the tv version of the people of Cintra. But nope. Got to hurry up and get to the next plot point, so we get these great actors and compelling characters and then they just disappear twenty minutes in and we get to watch Ciri running through the woods.

I just finished the first episode and I'm intrigued. But I know nothing of the books or the video games.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:56 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:Ugh. I'm three episodes into the Witcher and I'm cringing left and right. They butchered this. I will say that the sword fights are epic as hell, probably the coolest I've ever seen. But they failed on so many levels, especially character development and world development. The result? More Xena: Warrior Princess than Game of Thrones. Yuck.

I just finished the first episode and I'm intrigued. But I know nothing of the books or the video games.

Huh. I am interested to know how someone knew to the world would view it. Maybe I'm whining, but in the books, if I recall correctly, the only reason Geralt even shows up to the marketplace to fight those men is because Renfri essentially threatens to slaughter citizens one by one unless he kills the sorcerer. So he shows up and is forced to make a choice. They seem to have left that out, except at the end where Renfri grabs the girl.

In any event, at least the sword fighting is absolutely epic.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:25 am
  • First ep of Witcher is pretty meh until they start fighting towards the end, then it's got some redeeming qualities from there IMO. I'm gonna stick with it for now.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the franchise outside watching somebody else play the game a little bit here and there. We'll see how it goes.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:28 am
  • Anybody watch Don't F*ck With Cats?

(Please don't edit this is what the show is called)
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:31 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:First ep of Witcher is pretty meh until they start fighting towards the end, then it's got some redeeming qualities from there IMO. I'm gonna stick with it for now.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the franchise outside watching somebody else play the game a little bit here and there. We'll see how it goes.

I got to episode 5 so far, and there's one line in it that episode that, for me, makes the five hours worth it.

It's something Jaskier says when he's pinned up against the wall. When he's singing "Toss a Coin to your Witcher." Honestly it was so unexpected it almost had me in tears.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:02 pm
  • Up thru Episode 5 as well, the assembly of the character is taking a bit of time and that's why the story is kind of broken up, giving all the back history of them and how Geralt and them are tied together.

They feel rushed in some aspects but the baseline I think if they get it all together should make the main plot line going forward good since we will have the why taken care of with all the background.

Production is pretty good, expecting Game of Thrones type isn't realistic for a show typically, HBO was throwing huge dollars at theirs and I don't think Netflix is being cheap but just not over the top.

Will be interesting to see the rest of season 1, season 2 already approved and I think that will be the nuts and bolts of the plot line and story they want to make.

I am reading the books also and am only as far as Sword of Destiny one of the Short Story books and not the Core Novels he wrote about the Witcher.

I did really like how they have brought Yennifer to life though, that was a good background on her.

Guess them changing Dandilion's name to Jaskier for the show was made to make it sound less whimsical, although he is a whimsical character.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:45 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Up thru Episode 5 as well, the assembly of the character is taking a bit of time and that's why the story is kind of broken up, giving all the back history of them and how Geralt and them are tied together.

They feel rushed in some aspects but the baseline I think if they get it all together should make the main plot line going forward good since we will have the why taken care of with all the background.

Production is pretty good, expecting Game of Thrones type isn't realistic for a show typically, HBO was throwing huge dollars at theirs and I don't think Netflix is being cheap but just not over the top.

Will be interesting to see the rest of season 1, season 2 already approved and I think that will be the nuts and bolts of the plot line and story they want to make.

I am reading the books also and am only as far as Sword of Destiny one of the Short Story books and not the Core Novels he wrote about the Witcher.

I did really like how they have brought Yennifer to life though, that was a good background on her.

Guess them changing Dandilion's name to Jaskier for the show was made to make it sound less whimsical, although he is a whimsical character.

Indeed he is,. "Toss a coin to your witcher, oh valley of pen15!" I know I'm juvenile but I was laughing so hard.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:45 am
  • Finished episode 8 of The Witcher. It actually gets much better at the end. But my god it's cringy early on.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:28 am
  • They just laid everything out different then the books, creating parallels of plots along with the back stories of the characters in the same episodes, the story is pretty close to books, they obviously hoped the audience was astute enough especially after the Game of Thrones to pick up on the arcs and different time lines converging over the season. It makes sense once you get to episode 8 but I could understand some confusion for the first few episodes.

Going forward the arcs will be more fluid I think, they set it up well for season 2 I think and the biggest knock I have heard is oh too much female nudity, myself I hardly acknowledged it since it wasn't thrown in your face but mostly background stuff with glimpse's of mostly waste up and that was pretty balanced since Geralt was also naked waste up in his scenes. I heard he also has a no full nudity Claus in his contract so why he was doing so many fly open $ex scenes I guess.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:52 pm
  • Interesting posts on The Witcher here, especially 5 Rusty Rings' posts. I've only watched the first episode so I've got some binging to do, but I'm ridiculously excited to see where it goes. The fighting scene at the end of episode 1 was insanely satisfying. Some of the shots and dialogue in it were pretty meh, but Cavill is a better Geralt than I expected. Can't imagine how hard of a role that would actually be to play.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:59 am
  • I guess what I hate the most of all is they utterly butchered Sword of Destiny (the short story) and as a direct result, Something More. Something More loses almost all of its emotional impact because of what they did with Sword of Destiny. It really infuriates me.

However, the Battle of Sodden Hill was a wonderful surprise.

This would have been much better if they'd have scrapped the multiple timeline thing and just told it in chronological order, saving Ciri for about half way through. There was literally nothing added by telling multiple timelines at once other than getting Ciri in every episode, which was completely unnecessary. Geralt, Yennefer and Jaskier could have carried the show until half way, then adding Ciri would have been fine.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:06 pm
  • Really digging The Witcher. Finished episode 7 last night so just the finale to go. Man, Henry kills it as Geralt and based off of my time playing the games (Witcher 2 & 3), the world and every thing in it feels right. I love how tongue-in-cheek some things are and that it doesn't take itself too seriously. I have to imagine those who aren't familiar with the Witcher world might see some things as being weird, cringey or cheesy, but it feels spot on to me. Especially the way Geralt and other Witchers are constantly pooped on and never receive merit for their heroics.

I'm kinda with you guys on the timelines, I'm not sure what the point of jumping around is. It seems like they could have just presented us with the chronological order, but whatever. I've really liked the way they've tied everything together and I imagine this season will be a launching point for the rest of the story or stories that they want to tell.

Kinda going back some episodes, I thought the way they presented Yennefer at Aretuza was fantastic. The whole "conduits" and "controlling chaos" was really well done and I loved the way we find out Yennefer is actually the only one worthy of Ascending. The Law of Surprise episode was awesome, I cracked up when Pavetta immediately became pregnant and Geralt just says "f**k." I'm really satisfied with the way they tied Geralt and Ciri together, and then of course Geralt and Yennefer with the Djinn wish(es).

The valley of pen15 part was hilarious, btw.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:42 pm
  • 6 Underground was fun. First episode of Lost In Space season 2 was ok. New season of You has Chris D'elia in it so I'm looking forward to that. I'm gonna dive back into the Witcher but I gotta finish Mr Robot first.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:16 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Anybody watch Don't F*ck With Cats?

2 nights ago. I am still in shock.
    I don't understand how (I don't recall AT ALL, at least) l NEVER heard ANYTHING about this entire $h!t until I watched it. At the end I was waiting to be blown away by reading that this was entirely fictional. Then I remembered just how insane the human race is. Yeah, damn.
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:46 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:6 Underground was fun. First episode of Lost In Space season 2 was ok. New season of You has Chris D'elia in it so I'm looking forward to that. I'm gonna dive back into the Witcher but I gotta finish Mr Robot first.

6 Underground was Michael Bay at his most Michael Bay. Add Ryan Reynolds cracking jokes, and you get an entertaining movie, even though the story didn't make a ton of sense.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:47 am
  • hgwellz12 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Anybody watch Don't F*ck With Cats?

I don't understand how (I don't recall AT ALL, at least) l NEVER heard ANYTHING about this entire $h!t until I watched it. At the end I was waiting to be blown away by reading that this was entirely fictional. Then I remembered just how insane the human race is. Yeah, damn.

Watched it last week, probably one of the craziest docuseries on Netflix. I’d highly recommend it.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:44 am
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:6 Underground was fun. First episode of Lost In Space season 2 was ok. New season of You has Chris D'elia in it so I'm looking forward to that. I'm gonna dive back into the Witcher but I gotta finish Mr Robot first.

6 Underground was Michael Bay at his most Michael Bay. Add Ryan Reynolds cracking jokes, and you get an entertaining movie, even though the story didn't make a ton of sense.

Kind of Deadpool without Super Powers and Costumes to me.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:21 am
  • 6 Underground was one of the worst movies I've ever seen and the Witcher was just ok for me. Super bummed out as I was excited to see it. I'm rolling through all the Star Wars at the moment because I've never done it. My only contribution to the thread is that "Don't F@#% with cats" was pretty entertaining.
    austinslater25
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:04 am
  • Finally finished the Witcher and think Cavill is perfect. In hindsight, not a big fan of the shifting timelines but their desire to have Ciri in the first season makes sense to do it this way. I guess they could have given her a single episode near the end but with only 8 episodes they had a ton to cover already. It sounds like they've heard the complaints and plan to make the story much more focused in season 2.

Netflix should have reason to throw more money at it now too with how popular it is. I think it got roughly 10 mil per episode and still looked a bit cheap in some scenes though for a first season they did a pretty solid job.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:37 pm
  • mistaowen wrote:Finally finished the Witcher and think Cavill is perfect. In hindsight, not a big fan of the shifting timelines but their desire to have Ciri in the first season makes sense to do it this way. I guess they could have given her a single episode near the end but with only 8 episodes they had a ton to cover already. It sounds like they've heard the complaints and plan to make the story much more focused in season 2.

Netflix should have reason to throw more money at it now too with how popular it is. I think it got roughly 10 mil per episode and still looked a bit cheap in some scenes though for a first season they did a pretty solid job.

The original layout was it to be about Ciri, but it would not flow and work so the showrunner had to concede Geralt had to be the center figure and have Yeniffer and Ciri move around him, but they had to back story all three and have the stories tie into each other. You seen how it worked in the end but it would have been confusing to a watcher if you have not read the short stories upcoming to the Novels.

Which I did up though about 3/4s of the Sword of Destiny, The show hit on just about all the short stories. Going forward they did say things will sync up much more and less back story, the Blood of Elves is the next book I am digging into which is the next chronological sequence in the story and the first actual novel from my understanding.

The order books were released is not chronologically time line wise, I had to look up the sequence to be able to follow the show.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:52 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:Finally finished the Witcher and think Cavill is perfect. In hindsight, not a big fan of the shifting timelines but their desire to have Ciri in the first season makes sense to do it this way. I guess they could have given her a single episode near the end but with only 8 episodes they had a ton to cover already. It sounds like they've heard the complaints and plan to make the story much more focused in season 2.

The original layout was it to be about Ciri, but it would not flow and work so the showrunner had to concede Geralt had to be the center figure and have Yeniffer and Ciri move around him, but they had to back story all three and have the stories tie into each other. You seen how it worked in the end but it would have been confusing to a watcher if you have not read the short stories upcoming to the Novels.

Which I did up though about 3/4s of the Sword of Destiny, The show hit on just about all the short stories. Going forward they did say things will sync up much more and less back story, the Blood of Elves is the next book I am digging into which is the next chronological sequence in the story and the first actual novel from my understanding.

The order books were released is not chronologically time line wise, I had to look up the sequence to be able to follow the show.

I'm only three episodes in, but I'd argue that Gerald is barely the central figure. Yes he's the through story arc as he's rambling from village to village, but dude's barely in the show, at least what I've seen.

What was his screen time in the 2nd episode? Like 10 minutes of the 50 minute episode?

I'm fine with episodic shows, they can be interesting..........but more titties and monster fighting, and less melodramatic stories about characters that we'll never see again acted by bad no name actors.

The production and fantasy elements are good enough to keep me interested, but so far Witcher is kind of a mess and you can certainly tell they didn't really know what they wanted to do with how it's fleshed out episode to episode.

Do we want a big sweeping GOT-esque story? Do we want a comic book episodic style? Serious themes? Fun themes?

IMO can't do all of the above, and again I'm only on episode four so maybe it tightens up and gets more linear. But so far the show is not very compelling, or even interesting other than the production and fantasy elements.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:23 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:Finally finished the Witcher and think Cavill is perfect. In hindsight, not a big fan of the shifting timelines but their desire to have Ciri in the first season makes sense to do it this way. I guess they could have given her a single episode near the end but with only 8 episodes they had a ton to cover already. It sounds like they've heard the complaints and plan to make the story much more focused in season 2.

I'm only three episodes in, but I'd argue that Gerald is barely the central figure. Yes he's the through story arc as he's rambling from village to village, but dude's barely in the show, at least what I've seen.

What was his screen time in the 2nd episode? Like 10 minutes of the 50 minute episode?

I'm fine with episodic shows, they can be interesting..........but more titties and monster fighting, and less melodramatic stories about characters that we'll never see again acted by bad no name actors.

The production and fantasy elements are good enough to keep me interested, but so far Witcher is kind of a mess and you can certainly tell they didn't really know what they wanted to do with how it's fleshed out episode to episode.

Do we want a big sweeping GOT-esque story? Do we want a comic book episodic style? Serious themes? Fun themes?

IMO can't do all of the above, and again I'm only on episode four so maybe it tightens up and gets more linear. But so far the show is not very compelling, or even interesting other than the production and fantasy elements.

Your going to have to watch it till the last episode for the pay off and what's going forward, as I said without reading the books and understanding the stories ahead of time the time lines would seem a bit messy. Each Episode is a Short Story or a bit more and fleshing out the characters.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:34 pm
  • I must be Mr. Big Brain because I had no issues with the timelines and I've never read any of the literature. The power of deduction reigns supreme when you're watching a character on screen that you've seen die already.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:47 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Your going to have to watch it till the last episode for the pay off and what's going forward, as I said without reading the books and understanding the stories ahead of time the time lines would seem a bit messy. Each Episode is a Short Story or a bit more and fleshing out the characters.

For sure I will. I am enjoying Witcher, just isn't blowing me away just yet.

But I'm a fantasy nerd, and even though I'm not all that familiar with the books Gerald is a very interesting character to center a show around. Not a huge fan of Cavill, but you can certainly tell he's 100% invested in this character, which probably explains why the show lulls when he's not on screen.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:15 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

But I'm a fantasy nerd, and even though I'm not all that familiar with the books Gerald is a very interesting character to center a show around. Not a huge fan of Cavill, but you can certainly tell he's 100% invested in this character, which probably explains why the show lulls when he's not on screen.

Getting into Yennifer more will help you appreciate her. Your just about where things pick up also in your watch.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:43 pm
  • Anybody tried this new Dracula series yet? I think I like vampires? But I also am pretty sure I don't like 95% of vampire shows & movies.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:48 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Anybody tried this new Dracula series yet? I think I like vampires? But I also am pretty sure I don't like 95% of vampire shows & movies.

I didn't like it, started out ok, 1.5 hour episodes, but, well it went sideways if you ask me.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:13 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

It takes up til episode 4 for things to start coming together, before that point everything seems disjointed, even if you can pick up on the story being purposely split. By the end of episode 5 the story is mostly aligned or you can at least see how everything fits together. There are certainly much worse first seasons of fantasy shows and the groundwork is there for a pretty solid show going forward.

As for Cavill - i think this is probably one of his strongest roles to date and it's clear he loves the source material/video games. He gets a lot more screen time towards the end when he isn't just doing little side quests every episode.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:56 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    hgwellz12 wrote:

Watched it last week, probably one of the craziest docuseries on Netflix. I’d highly recommend it.

I started to watch it but I couldn't even get past the first 10 minutes or so because I was afraid of what I was going to see happen to those kittens. I can't watch sh!t like that.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:39 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    hgwellz12 wrote:

I started to watch it but I couldn't even get past the first 10 minutes or so because I was afraid of what I was going to see happen to those kittens. I can't watch sh!t like that.

I was worried about that too but they don't really show anything graphic. It's just mostly blurry shots and quick cut-aways.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:40 pm
  • Don't f*** with cats is incredible tv.
    austinslater25
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:30 pm
  • Aros wrote:I started to watch it but I couldn't even get past the first 10 minutes or so because I was afraid of what I was going to see happen to those kittens. I can't watch sh!t like that.

Zebulon Dak wrote:I was worried about that too but they don't really show anything graphic. It's just mostly blurry shots and quick cut-aways.

Okay, very good to know...I'll keep watching, thank you.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:04 pm
  • Anyone else see Messiah yet? I've watched the first 3 episodes and it definitely has me intrigued.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:59 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Anyone else see Messiah yet? I've watched the first 3 episodes and it definitely has me intrigued.

I watched it all and really liked it. It's not amazing by any means, but I think they do a good job of blending the elements of religion and government.

Not Netflix, but I'm really looking forward to The Outsider on HBO. It starts tonight. Jason Bateman and Ben Mendelsohn? Yes please.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:07 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:Not Netflix, but I'm really looking forward to The Outsider on HBO. It starts tonight. Jason Bateman and Ben Mendelsohn? Yes please.

I read the book a few months ago. I'm not going to spoil anything but it continues a character's arc from the Mr. Mercedes trilogy.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:29 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information