The Mandela Effect

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
The Mandela Effect
Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:57 pm
  • https://www.buzzfeed.com/christopherhud ... .qvD903xXq

Thought this was pretty cool. Can't believe some of these.

Sex AND The City?

We Are The Champions.....but not of the world?

I don't watch Star Wars, but how does he not say what everyone thinks he says?

Life WAS like a box of chocolates?

No "Hello Clarice" from Hannibal Lecter?

No "Mirror Mirror On The Wall?"
    Last edited by Hawk-Lock on Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Re: The Mandela Effect
Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:34 pm
  • The Silence of the Lambs one is a little misleading. He doesn't say "Hello, Clarice"; but at the end of the film when he calls her, he starts the conversation off with "Well, Clarice" and it sounds sort of like "hello" but since people expected a phone conversation to begin with hello, it kind of becomes remembered that way.

Sort of the Mandela Effect, but sort of not.

In any case, this is a very well-documented effect. Memories are subjective and we subconsciously alter them to suit our preferences. Nothing new. :)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:26 am
  • The Berenstain Bears thing was likely caused by the release of their VHS tapes being mislabeled on the end of the tape that is visible when inserting it into a VCR, which kids are going to look at over and over since they often watch the same movies over and over, firmly implanting that spelling into their brains.

We Are the Champions does say "of the world", but just during the middle of the song. Completely understandable that people would think it's repeated at the end of the song during what is essentially a repeat of the same part of the middle of the song.

Sex "and" the City....a beautiful day in "this" neighbor...etc...it rolls off the tongue easier to say "in" and "the", so people say it instead and begin to belief that's what it actually is.

Sinbad always dressed like a genie, so kids probably thought he actually was one.

"Mirror mirror" on the wall comes from a Looney Tunes cartoon (1956) with Bugs Bunny and a Witch. Kids probably watched that cartoon way more times than Snow White, but knew it was a reference to the movie.

I could go on. But I think you guys get the picture.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:27 pm
  • The only one that really gets me is the Berenstain Bears. I never had it on VHS, I don't remember watching the cartoons, but I did have at least 3-4 of the books and I read them religiously between the ages of 3-5 or so. I learned to read using those books. When the whole stein/stain thing was brought to my attention a couple of years ago I was blown away. They had always been the Berenstein (pronounced "steen") Bears to me without question. When I brought it up to my mom she felt the same way. I'm sure any one of the number of logical explanations fits but it still feels weird.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:06 pm
  • Where I lived, everyone pronounced it BerenSTEIN instead of BerenSTAIN, which was probably common everywhere in the US since nobody had ever heard of anyone with the name BerenSTAIN before, but were familiar with BerenSTEIN and how to pronounce it. And if it was commonly pronounced that way, it would make sense that people would think it was spelled that way.

Also, the Berenstain Bears logos on the books were all in cursive. Most kids read those books before they learned how to read cursive writing. Had the spelling been in regular print, the name BerenSTAIN would be more firmly etched into people's minds. The books did have a "by Jan and Mike Berenstain" on them in regular print, but it was smaller and well away from the title of the book. Besides, Berenstain or even Berenstein is one of those longer, more difficult words for 5 year olds to understand, so it's unlikely they paid much attention to it anyway.

I can come up with possible explanations for stuff all day. I will admit that I also didn't realize it was BerenSTAIN and always thought it was BerenSTEIN, but I'm willing to take accountability for my terrible memory instead of blaming it on parallel universes merging :)
    Last edited by fenderbender123 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:01 pm
  • Or how nobody remembers anything after the third line of "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts" because that's as far as Zazu got.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:15 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Or how nobody remembers anything after the third line of "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts" because that's as far as Zazu got.

deedley dee?
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information