The Nintendo Switch.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
The Nintendo Switch.
Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:28 pm
  • Full Presentation:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Super Mario Odyssey:

Splatoon 2:

Arms:

Thoughts?

Personally, I'd kill for a new 2D Metroid game. None since 2004, and no original ones since 2002. A travesty. Super Metroid is still (IMHO) the 2nd greatest game Nintendo has ever made, and the best game hands down of the entire 4th generation (SNES, Genesis).
    This is becoming far too common for my tastes.

RIP Cortez Kennedy, 1968-2017

RIP Sir Roger Moore, 1927-2017
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Re: The Nintendo Switch.
Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:54 pm
  • I haven't played games on a console since the Game Cube but I'm intrigued by this. I have to admit to being a Nintendo fanboy when it comes to consoles and I would love to see them knock this out of the park.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:06 pm
  • I have an xbox and really only play racing games but I'd be lying if I said watching that Mario video didn't make me reminisce about my childhood and playing with my NES, Super Nintendo and 64.
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:15 pm
  • Those graphics...Did they decide to re-release the N64?
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:02 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Those graphics...Did they decide to re-release the N64?

Go and watch actual N64 graphics before taking cheap shots. Those things will make eyes bleed.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:30 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Those graphics...Did they decide to re-release the N64?

Go and watch actual N64 graphics before taking cheap shots. Those things will make eyes bleed.

I was being facetious, yes; but let's be real. These graphics are pretty bad by modern standards. Do you really disagree with this statement?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:42 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

I was being facetious, yes; but let's be real. These graphics are pretty bad by modern standards. Do you really disagree with this statement?

While I won't deny they aren't top of the line (and honestly, Nintendo has always cared less about how it looked than how it played since at least the Game Boy), at some point when we reached high definition, people complaining about how graphics look (not counting glitches) just sound like whiners looking for something to nitpick. There are far too many games this generation that look good that have no substance. At least Nintendo still has a good track record for well made fun games. I'd rather wait 4 years for a new Zelda game that looks a little dated with polished gameplay than see Nintendo shove Zelda into the Call of Duty/Assassin's Creed every-year-assembly-line model.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:51 pm
  • I don't put much stock in graphics, believe it or not. I completely agree about the avoiding-the-yearly-release crap. When's the last time Nintendo had a really great game, though? I'm not asking in the smartass sense, I'm asking because I honestly have no clue; could be last year or 10 years ago for all I know.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:56 pm
  • I don't mind them going cartoonish as long as it's still quality. That Zelda actually looks really cool to me, that sort of cell shaded look or whatever it is.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:00 pm
  • Not really related but kind of related, how dope would it be to get a really well done 16 bit side scroller of The Force Awakens? I don't know why that idea intrigues me so much but it does.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:21 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I don't put much stock in graphics, believe it or not. I completely agree about the avoiding-the-yearly-release crap. When's the last time Nintendo had a really great game, though? I'm not asking in the smartass sense, I'm asking because I honestly have no clue; could be last year or 10 years ago for all I know.

Fire Emblem Awakening and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, both in 2013 off the top of my head. Some would call it cheating, but Super Mario Maker was the best game on the Wii U, and it was released in 2015. You'll always have the Smash Bros. games which are always finely tuned, the most recent was in 2014 and was highly regarded. Also, I'm not a big fan, and while if any Nintendo game could be accused of rolling off an assembly line it would be Pokemon, Pokemon Sun & Moon released last year to high praise. The fact is, true core games in Nintendo's flagship franchises have extremely long development cycles, and the last core Mario game came out in 2010 (Super Mario Galaxy 2), and the last core Zelda game was released in 2011 (Skyward Sword).

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:51 pm
  • I ended up pre-ordering a Neon version off of Best Buy and a normal grey version off of Amazon.com in case one of my pre-orders don't get fulfilled.

Best Nintendo games released in the last 10 years (Across their past 4 systems)
    Splatoon (Wii U) 2015
    Super Mario Maker (Wii U) 2015
    Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U) 2015
    Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) 2013
    Bravely Default (3DS) 2014
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) 2013
    Pokemon: X/Y (3DS) 2013, Ruby/Sapphire (3DS) 2014, Sun/Moon (3DS) 2016
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princes (GC) 2006
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS) 2007
    Dragon Quest IX: Sentinals of the Starry Skies (DS) 2010
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:58 pm
  • sammyc521 wrote:I ended up pre-ordering a Neon version off of Best Buy and a normal grey version off of Amazon.com in case one of my pre-orders don't get fulfilled.

Best Nintendo games released in the last 10 years (Across their past 4 systems)
    Splatoon (Wii U) 2015
    Super Mario Maker (Wii U) 2015
    Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U) 2015
    Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) 2013
    Bravely Default (3DS) 2014
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) 2013
    Pokemon: X/Y (3DS) 2013, Ruby/Sapphire (3DS) 2014, Sun/Moon (3DS) 2016
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princes (GC) 2006
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS) 2007
    Dragon Quest IX: Sentinals of the Starry Skies (DS) 2010

Bravely Default and Dragon Quest IX aren't Nintendo in the way I was speaking. While both are (obviously) on Nintendo systems, they're 3rd party, published by Square Enix.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:39 am
  • Who isn't excited to play Zelda 14 and Mario Kart 20?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:24 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Who isn't excited to play Zelda 14 and Mario Kart 20?

Funny coming from a Dark Souls fan, who's basically gotten a shitty new Dark Souls game on the Call of Duty release model for the last 3 years. That series is only 8 years old and already has 5 games (counting Demon's Soul and Bloodborne).

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:20 pm
  • And you know what? I'm Dark-Soulsed out. But I gotta give credit to the Souls series for having a gameplay experience that was relatively knew and refreshing. On that note, I'm also done with a lot of games that I used to always play...Fallout, GTA, Battlefield, and others. Just getting tired of the same games coming out with new graphics. Why can't somebody design a new game that's awesome and unlike anything we've ever played before? You know, like when GTA 1 and Fallout 1 came out. It seems like nobody tries to be groundbreaking anymore.

I was only half joking in my comment, anyway. I actually would love to play the new Zelda game. The last couple were a bit disappointing...But I'm not gonna buy a console just to play one game. My hope is that someday Nintendo does away with their consoles and handhelds and focuses on their games that would get released on PC and other systems.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:23 pm
  • I wonder if Nintendo will intentionally underproduce these just to cause a frenzy of public demand and get lots of free press.

Nah, Nintendo wouldn't do such a thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:24 pm
  • Battlefield is still awesome... I just can't stand Origin.
    "I want it! I hate losing!"
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:23 pm
  • Very curious to see their plan with digital downloads. PS Plus has been great for PS3 and PS Vita users. PS4 users hm get good indies and only one big blockbuster game every 4 months.

If Nintendo allows users to link they past purchases and makes the Switch compatible with NES, SNES, GB, GBC and GBA, it will created the best classic game library imaginable. If they want to go as high as N64 or Wii then it could be a game changer.

MS made big waves with creating backwards emulation for the XB1 for many 1st party XB360 games but this would open up thousands of classic games that people wouldn't have access to normally.

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:39 pm
  • If I could play every NES & SNES game ever on it, then this is a whole different discussion regarding how good the device is. :)

If they rolled some sort of multiplayer back end into it so two users could play NES games together as if they're using two controllers hooked up to the same NES, then OMG.....

But, I doubt it. :'(
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:13 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:If I could play every NES & SNES game ever on it, then this is a whole different discussion regarding how good the device is. :)

If they rolled some sort of multiplayer back end into it so two users could play NES games together as if they're using two controllers hooked up to the same NES, then OMG.....

But, I doubt it. :'(

The fact is, even if Nintendo pulled its head out of its ass and just released all the titles they have rights to for the NES, SNES, N64, and GCN, in either an eShop or Netflix streaming model, not all games on those systems would be released. Licensing rights on old video games is more screwed up than movies. An example would be GoldenEye for the N64, which would require the cooperation of Nintendo, Microsoft, Rare, Activision, Danjaq, and MGM for it to ever see a legal digital release. Just won't happen.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:09 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:The fact is, even if Nintendo pulled its head out of its ass and just released all the titles they have rights to for the NES, SNES, N64, and GCN, in either an eShop or Netflix streaming model, not all games on those systems would be released. Licensing rights on old video games is more screwed up than movies. An example would be GoldenEye for the N64, which would require the cooperation of Nintendo, Microsoft, Rare, Activision, Danjaq, and MGM for it to ever see a legal digital release. Just won't happen.

That wouldn't affect their 1st party games. Licensed games (GoldenEye being the lone exception to many) won't likely be a huge pull for game.

Maybe Rogue Squadron or Shadow of the Empire being a more difficult game to secure for re-release. I wouldn't hold out on those games though.

So many unknowns and if they choose to create a true mobile Nintendo system that harnesses the great library of the past as an alternate to the weak console launch.

sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:46 am
  • sammyc521 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:The fact is, even if Nintendo pulled its head out of its ass and just released all the titles they have rights to for the NES, SNES, N64, and GCN, in either an eShop or Netflix streaming model, not all games on those systems would be released. Licensing rights on old video games is more screwed up than movies. An example would be GoldenEye for the N64, which would require the cooperation of Nintendo, Microsoft, Rare, Activision, Danjaq, and MGM for it to ever see a legal digital release. Just won't happen.

That wouldn't affect their 1st party games. Licensed games (GoldenEye being the lone exception to many) won't likely be a huge pull for game.

Maybe Rogue Squadron or Shadow of the Empire being a more difficult game to secure for re-release. I wouldn't hold out on those games though.

So many unknowns and if they choose to create a true mobile Nintendo system that harnesses the great library of the past as an alternate to the weak console launch.

I didn't say it would affect their 1st party games. But Roland wanted the entire system libraries. Nintendo doesn't control all of it. What I'd like is for Nintendo to release a few more of their obscure untranslated Japan only titles, like the SNES Fire Emblem games.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:16 am
  • Well, I didn't mean it like an "all or bust" thing. The majority of their historical titles would be fine.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:43 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Nintendo has done this with the last three consoles now. They've foregone quality hardware to bring gimmicks to market. As a TV console, this thing is going to be trash. As a handheld, though, it might be worth buying. Time will tell.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:32 am
  • SmokinHawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Nintendo has done this with the last three consoles now. They've foregone quality hardware to bring gimmicks to market. As a TV console, this thing is going to be trash. As a handheld, though, it might be worth buying. Time will tell.

Nintendo has never foregone hardware quality, they've foregone hardware power. Every single system they've ever produced they've foregone top of the line hardware if it was cost prohibitive (Think Game Boy). As a result, they have the lowest hardware failure rate, historically.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:32 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:Nintendo has never foregone hardware quality, they've foregone hardware power. Every single system they've ever produced they've foregone top of the line hardware if it was cost prohibitive (Think Game Boy). As a result, they have the lowest hardware failure rate, historically.

Where has it gotten them? Their market cap is at $29B and they are too stupid to innovate. When's the last time a common question between living room gamers was "Xbox, Playstation, or Nintendo?"

Trick question, because Nintendo hasn't had a relevant gaming platform since the N64. The Wii was a nice change of pace for casual living room fun, no doubt about that; but they should have made it 720P and bought exclusive rights (which I had the whole concept of, but we're talking about Nintendo's failures, here) to one of the premier popular AAA titles coming out.

They could have mopped the floor with Sony and Microsoft.

Also, look at how they've missed the boat with mobile gaming. My God, how much money could they have made if they had released as much of their classic game library as popular for sale with an official emulator in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store five years ago?

Don't pretend like every one of you wouldn't have purchased a dozen or more classic Nintendo titles to have casual fun with on your phone while you're at a bus stop, waiting for a plane, or a meeting to start, or whatever.

They were smart enough to put classic-era games for purchase on the Wii, and stupid enough to believe their best move was to not open it up to the mobile world. "BUT BUT BUT WE DON'T MAKE THE PHONES PEOPLE WOULD PLAY THEM ON!" <-- Said some Nintendo boardroom exec that doesn't know what CPU stands for, standing there aghast when the one intelligent person in the room suggested publishing their library to mobile platforms.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:35 pm
  • You guys remember the Game Genie? Man, that thing was fun. Imagine if you could buy a permanent unlock of all the Game Genie features for any classic Nintendo game at 99 cents a pop, and you have to pay $1.99 or $2.99 per game to buy them in the first place.

CASH. COW.

Nintendo should hire me. I'll make them relevant again.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:15 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:[quote="RolandDeschain"]Those graphics...Did they decide to re-release the N64?

Nintendo has never foregone hardware quality, they've foregone hardware power. Every single system they've ever produced they've foregone top of the line hardware if it was cost prohibitive (Think Game Boy). As a result, they have the lowest hardware failure rate, historically.[/quote]
    It's never been about providing the best hardware with Nintendo. It's been about maximizing profit.

SNES - last entry into the 16-bit console market to maximize profit from the NES sales. The collapse of their monopoly on controlling 3rd party game releasing coupled with Sega's smart marketing to teenagers/Sonic mean that Nintendo is threatened for the first time.

N64 - last entry in the next generation to maximize profits from the SNES. Stuck with cartridges instead of CDs so they could force all manufacturing of games through them for one last go around (unlike CDs that could be printed by multiple companies).

GC - last to release to maximize N64 sales, unique disc system replaces lucrative cartridge manufacturing for extra $$.

Wii - big N finally loses enough money with the GameCube to release early! Unfortunately their unwillingness to take a loss on the cost of the hardware to maximize performance while retaining a decent price point (the classic "razor / razor blade" model that Sony and MS live by) lmeans the console is little more than GameCube 1.5 with a gimmicky new controller.

Wii U - GC 2.0 with more gimmicky controls.

Nintendo is a great games company with the best IP in video games. But their demise as a console hardware vendor is long overdue.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:28 pm
  • Nintendo is so out of touch with modern console gaming, but maybe that's their objective. Their online pales in comparison to Sony and MS and you'll need a smartphone with a downloadable app for voice chat. WTF. They must be setting up to go all-in on handheld gaming only, because their last couple of home consoles have been underpowered, laughable gimmicks that only got by on rehashing Mario and Zelda titles over and over and over and over and over and over. The best thing they ever did (other than the SNES) was to be pricks about moving on from cartridges to CDs, forcing Sony to design the Playstation purely out of spite.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:42 pm
  • Annnnnnnd, the I Can Haz Cheeseburger site demonstrates my point beautifully. :lol:

RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:50 am
  • #fakenews
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 9:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]