Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

More money for education didn't fix it

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: More money for education didn't fix it
Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:02 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Privatization is fine... but how do you guarantee balance and equity across the whole platform of schools?

I think once that private charter school/voucher model is followed and proves that it can be financially viable, then that can be carried out in just about district.

The main issue I've seen is school unions all over are fighting private charter schools tooth and nail, because it diverts funds from their districts and hierarchy of doing things. California's teacher's union has used their influence to shoot down many charter school bonds and props.

So it's not so much equity and balance between schools, it's cutting through all the politics and red tape of allowing every and any district that wants to implement charter schools the proper backing and resources to so.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Re: More money for education didn't fix it
Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:06 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Its not just the teachers and pay that need improvements. Public education in this country is extremely diverse, but has little direction. Changing the learning model and environment, bringing in a variety of resources, new curriculum, updating the opportunities for learners to push forward has to be the main goal.

The system has it is now has little reward or merit available to those who might not fully grasp the importance of the opportunities in public education. That needs to be changed and I believe would require something drastic and dynamic (and national).

Teacher pay and education can increase. Resources (especially on the technology side) can be implemented across the board to diversify the learning model as well as the learning opportunities. Changing the schedules to maximize learning and reduce distractions. Standardize the expectations and allow environments and opportunities for the low and high ends of the learner spectrum.

Again, I think this requires federal control.

I'm more of the let's let private companies come in and do things like charter schools, etc. Rather than trust our federal government to properly allocate funds.

All that leads to is corrupt politicians funneling federal funds to their districts.

There has been quite of few success stories with poor inner city charter schools hiring very talented teachers and administrators to turn around entire districts. Because once you make everyone earn their jobs, and perform to keep their jobs like a real business, the results are usually drastically improved.

Privatization is fine... but how do you guarantee balance and equity across the whole platform of schools?

They said the same thing about prisons, the privatized them, they went corrupt fast and the abuse was rampant, it has to have oversight and accountability, a general platform, districts or states fund it to the feds who distribute it EQUALLY amongst the districts. You want better of anything you take away the fluff from the high end and they will do what it takes to try to get it back thus improving the bottom end in the process.

Also private and charter schools only undermine the public system, there should be one system, you should not have one for one income and one for another.

Truly Privatized where the Schools do not get funding from states or districts to run are different. Funding by church's or private parties not associated with the Public system.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    Also private and charter schools only undermine the public system, there should be one system, you should not have one for one income and one for another.

Yes undermines a failing system that wastes money and doesn't work. Isn't that a good thing?

Allowing families to choose which school they'd like their child to attend through things like vouchers and charter schools seems fair to me. Because that includes all districts and levels of socio-economic status.

Maybe your'e right and in the end charter schools don't work. But as of now they are working to much success all across the country, in rich and poor neighborhoods.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

• chris98251 wrote:

This has got to be about the worse logic I've ever seen. And I used to discuss politics with Sports Hernia. :irishdrinkers:
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• HawkGA wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

This has got to be about the worse logic I've ever seen. And I used to discuss politics with Sports Hernia. :irishdrinkers:

Good in depth argument,, when you have a competition using the same assets but subsidized with other money it's not a fair system and dilutes the money, resources from the Public schools, You want Private schools, fine make them stand alone and supported by private money or God and the Church, leave the tax dollars for public schools and levis money alone and don't scream for the right to it.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Good in depth argument,, when you have a competition using the same assets but subsidized with other money it's not a fair system and dilutes the money, resources from the Public schools, You want Private schools, fine make them stand alone and supported by private money or God and the Church, leave the tax dollars for public schools and levis money alone and don't scream for the right to it.

I'm no expert on charter schools, I just know what I've read and seen on news segments like 60 Minutes and others.

But from what I understand is they don't pull resources from the district or other schools, they use the same funds that would have gone to that school if it remained a regular public school..............only now that school is run by a private charter school that gets to choose it's own teachers, principals, etc.

Like lets say my district spends $6,000 per kid, then I'd get a voucher for $6,000 to use towards trying to get my kid into a charter school. So same funds, just different school.

Unions don't like it cause it circumvents their monopoly and power structure politics.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    But from what I understand is they don't pull resources from the district or other schools, they use the same funds that would have gone to that school if it remained a regular public school..............only now that school is run by a private charter school that gets to choose it's own teachers, principals, etc.

Like lets say my district spends $6,000 per kid, then I'd get a voucher for $6,000 to use towards trying to get my kid into a charter school. So same funds, just different school.

Yup. Except charter schools actually get less for the student. So if your district would get $6000 for your kid, but you enroll him in a charter school, the charter school gets like $4500 and your district still gets to keep the remaining $1500. It's another example of why money isn't the problem.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information