Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Former Enron trader is working to change all of science

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • This is, I swear, one of the best articles I've ever read on any subject. I implore everyone in the strongest possible terms to read it.

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/john-arno ... d-science/

Assuming you've now read it, let's discuss it. I came to the same conclusion myself 10-12 years ago that John Arnold found with studies - namely, that you can't trust them without reading the entire source. (And subsequently, being able to reproduce the results even if everything seems aboveboard.) It was a sort of revelation to me. I got addicted to reading up on random topics of all kinds of commonly held "facts" that nobody questioned, and it was amazing how often I found major problems with things that everybody just accepted as fact.

Many of the more long-term posters around here will recall me going balls-to-the-wall in the PWR on occasion, writing huge replies with tons of links discussing commonly believed things that are, in fact, wrong. The nutrition example from this link is one of those things (for weight loss, at least, calories in vs. calories is basically the only thing that matters; go to Google and type in 'the twinkie professor'), and other subjects included nuclear power (it's a good thing), the travesty that banning DDT was, and how much bad information there is behind climate change on BOTH sides of the argument.

My point is this: science in general has been slowly losing its foundation of trustworthiness for many decades, and the evidence is everywhere for one that has their mind open to it. Look at the trouble some types of articles, studies, etc. have simply trying to get published because of the nature of what they're asking. Peer review is broken and more and more people are starting to realize it, thankfully. John Arnold is trying to change the entire foundation of science and how we go about it, and I say BRAVO. He may be hailed as a modern-day hero many years from now. Bad science has many far-reaching consequences in our day-to-day lives that we never even think about unless we sit and analytically think about it.

The first step in fixing a problem is admitting one exists. I hope many of you will share this link to your own social groups.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Science is becoming less and less credible not only because of the money and politics that have seeped into it, but because of the gigantic push to make it "popular." One of the few things people think about when they think about science is guys like Bill Nye and Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Science has been turning into pop science and dumbed down for the semi-literate masses.

This type of thing goes a ways to fix it, but there's a lot of ground to make back up.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• All you have to do is watch TV and see the ads for lawsuits against Pharm companies for the effects of their drugs or the non disclosed or hidden side effects that came up later.

Used to be research on drugs was done over years and time, new drugs come out so fast and are rushed and then pushed by Medical providers onto patients.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• The loved the read. Thanks roland.

Reearch feels like news broadcats.
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]