Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Coffee

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Coffee
Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:55 pm
  • So, not that long ago I began grinding my own coffee from whole beans and have become interested in trying some different brands. The Beer thread got me thinking that maybe some of you might have some recommendations on brands or different combination of blends you may use or have tried. My equipment is a basic grinder and a mid-level Mr. Coffee Brewer, don't know why I'd ever need more than that to make a good cup of coffee.

I'm not a latte this or that coffee drinker, I like a bold dark roast and I like it black like my beer :lol: . Over the years I've tried numerous different brands (ground versions) from the grocery stores, Peet's / Seattle's Best / Starbucks / others I can't even remember. Most of it has been French Roast and I think Italian Roast a couple of times.

Currently have a couple bags of this, which is nothing more than Safeway's House Product. It's "Ok" and economical, but just doesn't have as bold of a flavor as a couple of the more pricey brands I've had over the years.

I friend sent me a link to this "Black Rifle Coffee Company", and after checking it out and reading some reviews I ordered a couple of bags of the "Beyond Black". Veteran owned as well so that is always a plus. If it lives up to my expectation I will likely try the other 3 Extra Dark Roasts they sell as they become available.
    http://www.blackriflecoffee.com/collections/extra-dark-roast

So what do you like? Any recommendations?
    "Our Quarterback is a Bad Man!" - Michael Robinson
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Coffee
Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:54 pm

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:13 pm

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:51 pm
  • I accidentally found a pretty good blend by being almost out of a couple types... 50% dark/bold (espresso, French roast), 50% lighter/sweeter (Kona). Whole beans mixed up, then ground really fine for full flavor.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:01 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'm not a fan of burned, I mean black, coffee. White coffee's where it's at. More caffeine, and more flavor. Try this: https://www.amazon.com/Espresso-Classic ... B00ESRUQ50

I definitely am planning on trying out some light roast blends, and I know the the darker roasts lose more caffeine due to the longer roasting time. I've always just enjoyed the flavor better of the darkies. I'll probably blend some darkies and lights together and see how that tastes as well.

Hawk_Nation wrote:Santa left a bag of this in my stocking this year. It's pretty good stuff, local as well.

http://www.leverheadcoffee.com/index.ph ... Itemid=472

They also have "The 12th Bean"
    http://www.leverheadcoffee.com/index.ph ... Itemid=472

That looks like one I may have to put on my list to buy. Like the sportsman donation associated with it as well. :2thumbs:
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:06 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:I accidentally found a pretty good blend by being almost out of a couple types... 50% dark/bold (espresso, French roast), 50% lighter/sweeter (Kona). Whole beans mixed up, then ground really fine for full flavor.

:lol:

Posted above before I saw this on wanting to try blending a Dark and Light. I'm going to find a Kona to try this with, actually was given a bag of Kona a couple of years ago that was pretty tasty. Thanks Gee
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:07 pm
  • White coffee's not a light roast, it's basically raw bean. It'll have a different flavor profile than any coffee you've tried before, almost certainly.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:10 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:White coffee's not a light roast, it's basically raw bean. It'll have a different flavor profile than any coffee you've tried before, almost certainly.

Thanks for clarifying that, I didn't know. I guess I'm definitely going to have to give it try then.
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:11 pm
  • Foghawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:White coffee's not a light roast, it's basically raw bean. It'll have a different flavor profile than any coffee you've tried before, almost certainly.

Thanks for clarifying that, I didn't know. I guess I'm definitely going to have to give it try then.

The vast majority of places that sell "white coffee" are selling a light roast with milk or cream, i.e., a light-roast latte. True white coffee is becoming more common, but it's still not widely available at all from little coffee stands and the like.

In a way, it's kind of like wasabi and Kobe beef; most people think they've had them, very few actually have.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:10 am
  • I don't know where you're located, but Mercury's coffee is fantastic! I like the Tully's dark roast as well.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:39 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:I don't know where you're located, but Mercury's coffee is fantastic! I like the Tully's dark roast as well.

I'm down in the SW and not familiar with Mercury's, sounds like I might need to order some online to try. I believe I bought some Tully grounds at some point. If I see it around town I may have to buy a whole bean version to try. Thanks man.
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:21 pm
  • I don't drink a ton of coffee but I eff mostly with Lavazza Crema e Gusto when I'm in the mood.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:14 pm
  • We get a bag of this every month, really enjoy it.

https://www.deathwishcoffee.com/

Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:43 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I don't drink a ton of coffee but I eff mostly with Lavazza Crema e Gusto when I'm in the mood.

Thanks Zeb, a lot of interesting info on their website. They appear to know what they are doing. :lol:

twisted_steel2 wrote:We get a bag of this every month, really enjoy it.

https://www.deathwishcoffee.com/

This one screams "buy me". :2thumbs:
    Last edited by Foghawk on Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:27 pm
  • Many moons ago I was on vacation in Vegas. Ended up going to Sams Town and found a breakfast blend. I liked it a lot so sometimes look for one. I have a Kona blend beans and Have tried some other kinds. I would like to see if I can find a blend that has a mint flavor. May be able to infuse a candy cane into the mix before I put the grounds in the filter. I did buy a candy cane flavored coffee that was on sale but it was extremely over flavored. May even try a Costco brand of beans and then flavor them with what I want ground in. Heck, I may have to buy another grinder now. Dont want to mix them in the same grinder. Rather have a coffee grinder and a spices grinder.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:28 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:White coffee's where it's at.

I've never had a cup of coffee in my life, nor do I have any plans to, but I love the smell of coffee beans. Even cheap coffee smells good to me. Does white coffee smell different?
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:31 pm
  • Get a French press. Why filter out all the tasty oils?
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:04 pm
  • LargentFan wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:White coffee's where it's at.

I've never had a cup of coffee in my life, nor do I have any plans to, but I love the smell of coffee beans. Even cheap coffee smells good to me. Does white coffee smell different?

Since white coffee is unroasted, you don't really buy the beans whole. Any home grinder you put them in will break it before long; they're incredibly hard, you need a special kind of industrial grinder to use them.

That being said, yes, there's a different smell. Buy a bag of what I linked and try it yourself! Live a little. :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:56 pm
  • ZorntoLargent wrote:Get a French press. Why filter out all the tasty oils?

Honest question. Is the end result of a French Press any different than the end result of a Percolator?

I ask because percolated coffee on the campfire always seems to taste a little better, and there's no filter.
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:31 am
  • Costco has decent beans. Their Columbian Supremo is very good. Not overly dark or light, a nice balance.

And Foggy, get yourself a burr grinder if you don't already have one.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:11 pm
  • Seattle's Best Coffee #4, found at QFC and Safeway in 20 oz bags for 8.99 is really delicious cup of coffee, not espresso, but darker than medium.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:44 pm
  • Foghawk wrote:
    ZorntoLargent wrote:Get a French press. Why filter out all the tasty oils?

Honest question. Is the end result of a French Press any different than the end result of a Percolator?

I ask because percolated coffee on the campfire always seems to taste a little better, and there's no filter.

I think so. The paper filters trap out the oils along w the grounds.
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information