Remakes that you would like to see.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Remakes that you would like to see.
Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:37 pm
  • I have seen plenty of terrible remakes but there are a few movies I would love to see someone take a shot on.

1. Dreamscape
    2. Looker
    3. The Hidden
    4. Flash Gordon
    5. Krull

Your list?
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Re: Remakes that you would like to see.
Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:58 pm
  • 1. None.
    2. None.
    3. None.
    4. None.
    5. None.
    6. None.
    7. None.
    8. None.
    9. None.
    10. None.
    1,678,239. NONE.

Remakes I wish didn’t happen (despite numbering, no order):
    1. Planet of the Apes (2001 version)
    2. The Truth About Charlie (remake of 'Charade')
    3. The Italian Job (seriously, Mark Wahlberg, quit doing remakes!)
    4. Robocop
    5. Psycho
    6. Total Recall
    7. Point Break
    8. Ben Hur
    9. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    10. Clash of the Titans
    11. Poseidon (Adventure)
    12. Arthur
    13. The Magnificent Seven
    14. The Thing
    (I can't go on. This list is too long and full of fail.)

Remakes I pray are cancelled (again, no order):
    1. Big Trouble in Little China
    2. An American Werewolf in London
    3. Jumanji
    4. Flight of the Navigator
    5. Scarface
    6. Escape from New York
    7. WarGames
    8. Akira
    9. Time Bandits
    10. American Psycho
    11. The Raid
    12. Highlander
    (This too could roll on.)

No more remakes. Give us something original! There are too many remakes already!
    "Game over, man! Game over!"

RIP Bill Paxton, 1955-2017
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:33 pm
  • Tell me how you really feel Maulbert. :D

I agree with your list by the way. There are too many remakes that did not need to be remade. My list only includes movies I liked but were for the most part cheesy and I think they could improve on them.
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:35 pm
  • Dreamscape would be awesome, a seriously underrated movie. Hands off of Flash Gordon though.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:09 pm
  • See Maulbert, you're just biased. Some remakes are WAY better than their originals. Ones that come to mind are The Fly (1986) and The Departed (2006). Oh, also, The Thing (1982). Another one popped into my mind, too; Scarface (1983).

The years in parentheses are the better-than-original remakes, not the originals, since some have been remade more than once.

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure your unilateral hatred of remakes is unjustified. If you want to have a discussion about how Hollywood abuses the holy hell out of remakes and does too many, I'm with you; but that's not what you did here. :)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:21 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:See Maulbert, you're just biased. Some remakes are WAY better than their originals. Ones that come to mind are The Fly (1986) and The Departed (2006). Oh, also, The Thing (1982). Another one popped into my mind, too; Scarface (1983).

The years in parentheses are the better-than-original remakes, not the originals, since some have been remade more than once.

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure your unilateral hatred of remakes is unjustified. If you want to have a discussion about how Hollywood abuses the holy hell out of remakes and does too many, I'm with you; but that's not what you did here. :)

Exceptions don't prove rules, despite what misinformed proverbs tell you. I will say, though, when I referenced the remake of The Thing, I was referring to the 2011 remake even though I am aware the 1982 version is a remake as well.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:24 pm
  • I completely agree that exceptions do not prove rules. You were just too unilateral on your hatred, is my point. :)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:31 am
  • Goonies. Yes, they'd probably screw it up so maybe just a long overdue sequel.

Besides, I just found out recently the older brother is Thanos.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:31 am
  • Most of the time I don't like remakes, but I don't so much mind remakes that are from movies several decades prior. Those can be alright. Ben Hur comes to mind. 1959 to last year is a long enough time. And the remake was surprisingly good. They didn't overdo it, which I was scared they would, because yes, they usually do screw up remakes.

I wish, though, that they'd just make original movies. Stop dreaming up sequels to make money from a movie that did better than expected. If the story calls for multiple movies, fine. Otherwise knock it off. Both remakes and excessive sequels are just done to capitalize on the publicity of the original and make money. I get it; they need to make money. But there are plenty of creative and original ways to do it.

As far as remakes I'd like to see... hmm. None come to mind off the top of my head, but the ones that would benefit the most are the ones that would be better with better effects and CGI. Remake the movie as close to the original as possible, but with today's technology. And don't overdo it.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:34 pm

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:35 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Ghostbusters with all women..... :roll:

You know, I do believe we need more strong female movie rolls out there, but I am sick of this kick Hollywood seems to be on with remaking old films with female casts (I know my general opinion of remakes rather waters down this opinion, but still). I mean, an Ocean's 11 movie with an all female cast. Does it have to be tied to a pre-existing property? For that matter, why tie it to one as dominated by male characters as the Ocean's series? And why is ExpendaBelles being made? The Expendables franchise wasn't even good to begin with.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:00 pm
  • maybe an all male cast for Bring it on, Mean Girls, or Sex and the City?
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:41 pm
  • I watched Big Trouble in Little China last night. That movie is fan-****ing-tastic. In the excess of the 1980's, it's easy to see why it was so underrated. Once you realize it's a satire (Kurt Russell and John Carpenter have stated Denis Dun's Wang is the real intended hero and Kurt Russell's Jack is the buffoon sidekick), that movie turns into an all-time classic.

"You just listen to the old Pork Chop Express and take his advice on a dark and stormy night, alright? When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against a barroom wall and he looks at you crooked in the eye and he asks you if you've paid your dues, well you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that: Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes, sir. The check is in the mail."

God, I love that movie.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:22 am
  • Basic Instict with either Mila Kunis or Emma Stone in the Sharon Stone role.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information