Sciency stuff....LHC disproves existence of ghosts....

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • :D

    Has the Large Hadron Collider Disproved the Existence of Ghosts?

    The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) might be the world's most incredible science experiment. A particle collider seventeen miles in circumference, it accelerates protons to velocities approaching the speed of light and slams them together. Enthralled scientists from all over the world watch the subatomic demolition derby and record what happens. Thus far, they've witnessed the creation of quark-gluon plasma (the densest matter outside of black holes), found key evidence against supersymmetry, and discovered the Higgs boson, a result which garnered the Nobel Prize in Physics.

    Much of the general public probably isn't aware of these fascinating, yet unfortunately, esoteric discoveries at the LHC. Particle physics simply doesn't inspire as much interest as say, ghosts. At least four in ten Americans believe in ghosts, and it's likely that even fewer people are aware of the LHC. On that note, at least one physicist contends that the LHC has, in fact, disproved the existence of ghosts.

    --

    "If we want some sort of pattern that carries information about our living cells to persist then we must specify precisely what medium carries that pattern and how it interacts with the matter particles out of which our bodies are made. We must, in other words, invent an extension to the Standard Model of Particle Physics that has escaped detection at the Large Hadron Collider. That's almost inconceivable at the energy scales typical of the particle interactions in our bodies."
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 16043
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • Who said your soul or spirit has to be a particle? Could be a cross dimensional projection or something undiscovered.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 20294
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Aros might be tempted to ban you for this. ;)
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30292
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


  • RolandDeschain wrote:Aros might be tempted to ban you for this. ;)


    I thought he was only into UFOs?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 104633
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


  • How can we disprove the existence of something that, if it does exist, we have no way of knowing how and why it exists? It's like disproving the spaghetti monster. You can't do it.
    User avatar
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5867
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


  • The LHC is a machine, without a soul. Therefore = Irrelevant.
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34651
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm


  • RolandDeschain wrote:Aros might be tempted to ban you for this. ;)

    Thank dog he's not the boss any more.

    :D
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 16043
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • I think it's hilarious. Something that is completely beyond the scope of modern science's capability to comprehend is somehow conclusively dismissed, "proving" ghosts do not exist?

    Quantum Physics may be the closest theoretical physics we have to open the supernatural door open a crack, but in this context the LHC has done nothing to disprove the reality of disembodied spirits or the continuation of consciousness outside of the physical body but it's cool if they want to think so.
    Image

    Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 10769
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • Aros wrote:I think it's hilarious. Something that is completely beyond the scope of modern science's capability to comprehend is somehow conclusively dismissed, "proving" ghosts do not exist?

    Quantum Physics may be the closest theoretical physics we have to open the supernatural door open a crack, but in this context the LHC has done nothing to disprove the reality of disembodied spirits or the continuation of consciousness outside of the physical body but it's cool if they want to think so.

    Why is it beyond the scope of science's ability to comprehend it? Because it cannot be measured and tested? Do you then believe that science will somehow, someday stumble upon a way to measure / test ghosts?
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    User avatar
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3494
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
    Location: Spokangeles


  • Trenchbroom wrote:
    Aros wrote:I think it's hilarious. Something that is completely beyond the scope of modern science's capability to comprehend is somehow conclusively dismissed, "proving" ghosts do not exist?

    Quantum Physics may be the closest theoretical physics we have to open the supernatural door open a crack, but in this context the LHC has done nothing to disprove the reality of disembodied spirits or the continuation of consciousness outside of the physical body but it's cool if they want to think so.

    Why is it beyond the scope of science's ability to comprehend it? Because it cannot be measured and tested? Do you then believe that science will somehow, someday stumble upon a way to measure / test ghosts?


    He's simply saying, at least I think, it's sheer arrogance to say something can't exist when there's no existing way to quantify it. That scientist is saying ghosts can't exist because the LHC hasn't proven it, but how exactly does he know what he's trying to prove with no ability to quantify it?

    Science works a lot more like faith than people seem to understand. A theory requires testing no less than a belief.
    "Game over, man! Game over!"

    RIP Bill Paxton, 1955-2017
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2932
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: JMC Mining Ship Red Dwarf


  • Maulbert wrote:
    Trenchbroom wrote:
    Aros wrote:I think it's hilarious. Something that is completely beyond the scope of modern science's capability to comprehend is somehow conclusively dismissed, "proving" ghosts do not exist?

    Quantum Physics may be the closest theoretical physics we have to open the supernatural door open a crack, but in this context the LHC has done nothing to disprove the reality of disembodied spirits or the continuation of consciousness outside of the physical body but it's cool if they want to think so.

    Why is it beyond the scope of science's ability to comprehend it? Because it cannot be measured and tested? Do you then believe that science will somehow, someday stumble upon a way to measure / test ghosts?


    He's simply saying, at least I think, it's sheer arrogance to say something can't exist when there's no existing way to quantify it. That scientist is saying ghosts can't exist because the LHC hasn't proven it, but how exactly does he know what he's trying to prove with no ability to quantify it?

    Science works a lot more like faith than people seem to understand. A theory requires testing no less than a belief.

    I agree with what you're trying to say, but beliefs don't require any testing, lol.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30292
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Trenchbroom wrote:
    Aros wrote:I think it's hilarious. Something that is completely beyond the scope of modern science's capability to comprehend is somehow conclusively dismissed, "proving" ghosts do not exist?

    Quantum Physics may be the closest theoretical physics we have to open the supernatural door open a crack, but in this context the LHC has done nothing to disprove the reality of disembodied spirits or the continuation of consciousness outside of the physical body but it's cool if they want to think so.

    Why is it beyond the scope of science's ability to comprehend it? Because it cannot be measured and tested? Do you then believe that science will somehow, someday stumble upon a way to measure / test ghosts?


    He's simply saying, at least I think, it's sheer arrogance to say something can't exist when there's no existing way to quantify it. That scientist is saying ghosts can't exist because the LHC hasn't proven it, but how exactly does he know what he's trying to prove with no ability to quantify it?

    Science works a lot more like faith than people seem to understand. A theory requires testing no less than a belief.

    I agree with what you're trying to say, but beliefs don't require any testing, lol.


    I argue that faith requires quite a lot of testing. Faith unshaken in adversity is strong. If you question it at the smallest challenge, it's hardly faith at all.

    Not meaning to get religious or political here, just a general thought. I believe faith in this terminology could be boiled down to sports fandom. The Seahawks are a very good example. Whether you trust Pete and his trust in Bevell, or you believe wholesale change is required for the team to get back to a championship level.

    Also, just an example. I don't intend to dip my toe in the Bevell argument.
    "Game over, man! Game over!"

    RIP Bill Paxton, 1955-2017
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2932
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: JMC Mining Ship Red Dwarf


  • I legitimately want to respond, but I think it may get too close to PWR material, so I'll just leave it be.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30292
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


  • RolandDeschain wrote:I legitimately want to respond, but I think it may get too close to PWR material, so I'll just leave it be.


    Sorry, really wasn't my intent. I do realize that where I went could be dangerous territory, which is why I added the bit about sports fandom.
    "Game over, man! Game over!"

    RIP Bill Paxton, 1955-2017
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2932
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: JMC Mining Ship Red Dwarf


  • Naw, your response was fine, I'm just not sure mine would have been. :)
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30292
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


  • So much is lost when you type words on a keyboard and hit send when it comes to topics as grand and enigmatic as this is. There is so much more I could say in person, but too lazy to type which dilutes the debate so very quickly. I imagine the opposition feels precisely the same.

    I don't see this as "Believer vs Debunker" as some might. We are far more complicated creatures than that. Even the most hardened of skeptics could be persuaded to take a second look just as the most feverish believers could be tempted to taste the elixir of scientific perspective if presented in a non-threatening manner or environment.

    Truth is, online forums are not the place. It's bad enough that words can be misconstrued face-to-face...But written words on an internet forum especially on a topic as volatile as this one? Madness.

    I suspect the conversation, face-to-face, with myself and others who feel how I do, versus the sutz's and Roland's of the world who feel how they do, would be completely different than how it goes here in the online world. And that is why I disengage from these threads rather quickly.

    Threads miss the human connection that can only happen in person.

    So sutz, when are you going to hold the first "Aros Has Lost His Mind And Here's Why" summit?

    :2thumbs: :greetingsearthling: :smilingalien:
    Image

    Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 10769
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • Trenchbroom wrote:
    Aros wrote:I think it's hilarious. Something that is completely beyond the scope of modern science's capability to comprehend is somehow conclusively dismissed, "proving" ghosts do not exist?

    Quantum Physics may be the closest theoretical physics we have to open the supernatural door open a crack, but in this context the LHC has done nothing to disprove the reality of disembodied spirits or the continuation of consciousness outside of the physical body but it's cool if they want to think so.

    Why is it beyond the scope of science's ability to comprehend it? Because it cannot be measured and tested? Do you then believe that science will somehow, someday stumble upon a way to measure / test ghosts?


    Simply put, you can't disprove a negative. I say that as somebody who doesn't believe in ghosts or aliens but wouldn't be totally shocked if all of a sudden we find out they are real. Some people have an incredible ability to not understand what we don't know. Sadly, a lot of those people are scientists.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 104633
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm




It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: HAWKAMANIA and 12 guests