Smoking Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Smoking Thread
Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:27 pm
  • No, NOT weed or to-frigginbacco.

Food.

I bought a digital electric smoker right after the new year and I have become fairly proficient at it.

I have my own line of Beef Jerky that I sell on my website, but I also make really good smoked salmon.

If I still lived in the PNW I would have way better access to fish but alas, I don't so I am using fresh caught (of course previously frozen) Sockeye. I have the brining down to a science now and people are clamoring for my products, which is great because I really can't keep doing my regular job of construction and maintenance because it's hard on the body.

Anyway, today I am making Salmon Candy. Has anyone tried it before?

I'm putting pineapple juice in the water tray.
    Last edited by Largent80 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: Smoking Thread
Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:54 pm

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:45 pm
  • I have taken to making my own bacon lately. Cure the pork belly for a week and then smoke it for 3-4 hours at 225 or until the internal temp is 150. So far apple wood has been my favorite smoke.

For the cure:

3 pounds pork belly (he calls for skin on, mine was skinless)
    1.2 ozs kosher salt (about 2 1/2 TBSP)
    1 1/4 tsp pink curing salt (see note below)
    2 TBSP brown sugar

If you have larger chunks of belly adjust the cure amount. The curing salt ratio goes down the more belly you use so if you have a 6 pound piece you wouldn't necessarily use 2 1/2 tsps. Probably closer to 1 3/4. Rub the belly with this mixture, put it in a ziplock and stash in the fridge for a week. Flip it every day or so.

When it is done curing you give it a good rinse, let it air dry for a bit and then on the smoker. You can add other aromatics to the cure as well like garlic, bay leaf, juniper, oregano, or anything else you want.

Here is a pic of the finished product. So much tastier than store bought:

drcool
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:07 pm
  • 1# – package of brown sugar
    6Tbs. Coarse ground black pepper
    2 Tbs. Garlic powder
    1/8 (+/-)Cup non-iodized salt
    2 Tbs. of cayenne pepper (optional)
    2 Tbs. Lowery’s Ground pepper w/Tobasco (Green Lid and hard to find)

Mix all ingredients together well.

Skin and cut fish into ¼” to 3/8” strips. Cover liberally with dry mix and let soak for 5-6 hrs. Turn fish and let sit another 5-6 hrs. Lightly rinse fish in cold water and let air dry for 24 hrs. or so. Smoke in smoker for 3-5 hours depending on consistency you like.

Tips:

Pull the pin bones out with a pair of pliers before smoking (makes a truly boneless snack)
    Spray smoker grills with non-stick spray
    Pre-heat smoker for 10-15 minutes
    When smoking, only use 2 pans of chips.

3x the recipe will do 6 sides of Coho.
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Starter

It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information