Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Game of Thrones (NO SPOLIERS) UNSULLIED PRESENT.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • PLEASE, no Spoilers.

I just purchased the 1st and 2nd seasons on Blu Ray.

I've seen an episode here and there but really have no clue what's about to happen.

Anybody have any tips to get the most bang for my buck.
    Special things to help follow the story, or something to pay extra attention too?

I know that the series is awesome, and have no doubt that I'll enjoy it. I've waited with purpose for a time that I can dive off into the deep end.

Hope I don't run out of Beer & Snacks :{)
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: Game of Thrones
Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:05 am
  • ********SPOILER ALERT**********

Everyone dies

**********END SPOILER ALERT**********

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:17 am
  • About this time last year I was binge watching seasons four and five to get ready for the upcoming season. I hightly suggest trying to get caught up by June this year so you can enjoy season seven once it rolls around. Other than that, just enjoy the show and really pay attention to the dialogue.

Each season provides a "History and Lore" episode, usually an hour long, that gives some nice background information of the families, the history and big events of Westeros, etc.

Here is the first season's episode
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:30 am
  • Books are better.

But I'm starting to think the series is the only closure we're ever going to get.
    This is becoming far too common for my tastes.

RIP Cortez Kennedy, 1968-2017

RIP Sir Roger Moore, 1927-2017
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:44 am
  • Maulbert wrote:Books are better.

In other news, water is wet.

You might be right on the show being the only closure we may ever get. I can't believe there's still not even a release date on Winds of Winter yet. The show has already moved past where the books are and it's been veering off into it's own story since, what, season four?

If Martin passes before he finishes the book series, the only closure we'll ever get will be a bastardized/watered down version and that would be a true shame.

Edit: And don't think I'm putting the show down, by any means. I still thinks it's easily one of the best TV series of all time.
    Last edited by JGfromtheNW on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:02 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:PLEASE, no Spoilers.

I just purchased the 1st and 2nd seasons on Blu Ray.

I've seen an episode here and there but really have no clue what's about to happen.

Anybody have any tips to get the most bang for my buck.
    Special things to help follow the story, or something to pay extra attention too?

I know that the series is awesome, and have no doubt that I'll enjoy it. I've waited with purpose for a time that I can dive off into the deep end.

Hope I don't run out of Beer & Snacks :{)

No tips really are necessary; actually the best experience is going in cold and soaking it all in. I didn't start reading the books until after the end of Season 3 and there are some episodes that I'm glad I had no foreshadowing on because of it.

I guess the one suggestion I would have is try and keep all the families/individuals sorted in your head to the best of your ability. There are a ton of personalities to keep track of in the beginning (and they just keep piling on more with each season), and the better you can keep the various houses (Stark, Lannister, Baratheon, Targaryan, etc.) identified, the easier of a time you'll have following along.

Enjoy the ride!
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:43 pm
  • Stay off the internet, asking not to be spoiled is the curse of being spoiled, read the books, then watch the show, you will get a lot more out of it even with the differences. The why they did something is much more clear and it ferrets out the relationships better.

Oh and fixed your title, half these guys don't read first few posts and just submit their opinion. at least they will see it in the title.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:29 pm

But I'm starting to think the series is the only closure we're ever going to get.

Some parts of the book series are worse as well, though. There are periods throughout the series that just drag on, and onnn, and onnnnnnnnnn for no beneficial reason whatsoever. I like Martin, he's a very good writer, but there are some things that the show does better; like skipping the aforementioned long, boring parts where nothing happens. I don't mean "nothing" as a synonym for "no action," either; there can be nothing major happening for a VERY long time but still be entertaining to read, but there are a few parts where the series would be improved by literally ripping out 50-75 consecutive pages, if you get what I mean.

The books are better, but not all that much better. The show is done exceptionally well.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:01 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Books are better.

Some parts of the book series are worse as well, though. There are periods throughout the series that just drag on, and onnn, and onnnnnnnnnn for no beneficial reason whatsoever. I like Martin, he's a very good writer, but there are some things that the show does better; like skipping the aforementioned long, boring parts where nothing happens. I don't mean "nothing" as a synonym for "no action," either; there can be nothing major happening for a VERY long time but still be entertaining to read, but there are a few parts where the series would be improved by literally ripping out 50-75 consecutive pages, if you get what I mean.

The books are better, but not all that much better. The show is done exceptionally well.

You must have missed the parts about description of background on the 100 plus additional characters in the books, it can be dry reading to be sure but it enhances the forward parts knowing who and why characters act and do what they do.

I did say dry reading and sometimes forced Storm of Swords and Feast of Crows being in a simultaneous time line with two character sets doing things but in separate volumes I think was the reason it felt that way. The storylines about the fake characters that was eliminated in the show I think added to it as the show worked it differently successfully.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:10 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:You must have missed the parts about description of background on the 100 plus additional characters in the books, it can be dry reading to be sure but it enhances the forward parts knowing who and why characters act and do what they do.

I did say dry reading and sometimes forced Storm of Swords and Feast of Crows being in a simultaneous time line with two character sets doing things but in separate volumes I think was the reason it felt that way. The storylines about the fake characters that was eliminated in the show I think added to it as the show worked it differently successfully.

I've read the entire series three times, I don't think I missed anything. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:19 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:You must have missed the parts about description of background on the 100 plus additional characters in the books, it can be dry reading to be sure but it enhances the forward parts knowing who and why characters act and do what they do.

I've read the entire series three times, I don't think I missed anything. ;)

You miss shit here all the time, and how long you been reading here :)

Just like the LOTR I pick up something new every time I read them, like 5 or 6 times from the time I was 9. Martin is way more sneaky about dropping clues hidden in the text and dialogue.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I don't read stuff here more than once, ya jerk-off; and we're talking about LONG periods of useless stuff in the books, not a couple pages here and there.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I'm just a couple of hundred pages into the second book, I really like them so far, but I could do without the ridiculous amount of detail that goes into describing the coloring, pattern, stitching and every other bit of one's outfit every time a new character enters; or the regular description of <said meat> being bitten and then juices dribbling down <said character's> chin every time someone eats something. There's merit to giving vivid detail, but sometimes it's really frequent and drags on.

What do you guys think of the chapters being broken up into different characters POVs? In some ways I like it, but it's sometimes such a drag to be reading a great Bran, Tyrion or Jon chapter to turn the next page and go "*sigh* another Sansa chapter."
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• I think this is one story where the series is at least as good as the books. The budget and acting and sets all make it so. And yes, the books bog down with Martin's pedantic writing style and his incessant trying to stuff too much history and lore into the story line.

As far as what will make your experience better, drink wine while watching it. The characters all drink so much wine, soon you'll hardly be able to watch the series without it.

:irishdrinkers:
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Sailor, you're an alcohol now, aren't you?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:Sailor, you're an alcohol now, aren't you?

I'm an alcohol? Well, I didn't think so, but if I were, I'd probably be a good stout beer. 8)
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Damnit. I was on my phone, and didn't notice. Alcoholic, obviously, is what I meant but did not correctly type. :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I'll say this about Game of Thrones...even if you don't follow the story, it's still very entertaining to watch. I'm the type of guy who only watches TV at night when I'm in bed...so the combination of whatever lingering substances I've taken that day and being sleepy has made it difficult for me to follow the story on a lot of TV shows.

I remember binge watching an entire season of Game of Thrones and thinking "wow that was awesome, but I have no clue what is going on". Obviously it's better if you follow all the details, but the fact that it's still entertaining without knowing what's going on is a testament to how great it is.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:Damnit. I was on my phone, and didn't notice. Alcoholic, obviously, is what I meant but did not correctly type. :)

Glad you don't miss anything Roland :)

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Damnit. I was on my phone, and didn't notice. Alcoholic, obviously, is what I meant but did not correctly type. :)

Glad you don't miss anything Roland :)

Yeah, yeah...I've also never claimed I don't miss anything. Jerk. :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:40 pm

I'd agree with you if we were only talking about Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords..........but then you've lost me with this argument.

IMO now the show has now far surpassed the storytelling, drama and character arcs vs the over bloated messes that Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons are (and I assume Winds of Winter will be).

I'm actually glad that HBO is in the driver's seat for bringing a satisfactory closure to the GOT story that we've all invested literally years and years of our lives to. Cause Martin sure as hell is loving the attention of not doing that.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:50 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:About this time last year I was binge watching seasons four and five to get ready for the upcoming season. I hightly suggest trying to get caught up by June this year so you can enjoy season seven once it rolls around. Other than that, just enjoy the show and really pay attention to the dialogue.

Each season provides a "History and Lore" episode, usually an hour long, that gives some nice background information of the families, the history and big events of Westeros, etc.

Here is the first season's episode

July 16th is the latest rumor for s7. Awesome link. Thanks for this.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
    FearTheBeak
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:52 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information