Remembering Local TV when I was young

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Remembering Local TV when I was young
Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:02 am
  • These were all Seattle area programs that were singing and cartoons and of course some education stuff thrown in, W ell except the Count, he was a bungling Vampire. KOMO, KING,KIRO, KZTW KCPQ I think had Captain Kangaroo, but didn't watch it because the reception never came in good, yea there was Channel 9 also, but what kid watches Channel 9.

How about all of you, I know TV has changed over the years, but those that grew up in my era and sometime past must have had something similar in your areas, post the pics of the local hero's on TV when you were kids.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Re: Remembering Local TV when I was young
Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:44 am
  • This is probably a bit past your time, but anyone else remember Boomerang?

It ran on KOMO in the late 70's/early 80's and was hosted by Marni Nixon, who played Sister Sophia in The Sound of Music and dubbed the singing voices for Deborah Kerr, Natalie Wood, and Audrey Hepburn in The King and I, West Side Story, and My Fair Lady, respectively. Sadly, she passed away last July at the age of 86 from cancer.
    This is becoming far too common for my tastes.

RIP Cortez Kennedy, 1968-2017

RIP Sir Roger Moore, 1927-2017
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:57 am
  • Remember seeing the show in listings.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• J.P Patches..Theres a clown I had forgotten about..Don't forget Romper Room
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Out of Yakima a program called Uncle Jimmys club house. We used to watch it a bit. My cousin was on that program one time for his birthday. I believe it was a birthday program.

We had the 3 basic channels out of Tricities in O Town. I could sometimes get some channels out of spokane if I turned the antenna just right, and stood on one foot, and ..... and then we could get some old westerns like Paladin, and Maverick really really snowy tho. That was so many years ago tho.

Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat. MEOW.......
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:J.P Patches..Theres a clown I had forgotten about..Don't forget Romper Room

Romper Room, Captain Kangaroo, Art Linkletter, Kukla Fran and Ollie Show, I think were all National, Like Sesame Street.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I grew up with Portland stations. Mr Duffy, Rusty Nails, Addie Bobkins and Feather, Ramblin' Rod. I'm sure there were others that I can't remember right now.
    dbmack
    NET Veteran

• A remembrance of local TV and no mention of Almost Live?

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Kid TV, that was late night and not geared to kids as much but Local agreed.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Ah dude Chris, of course...Most of those ring a major nostalgia bell with me, growing up in the PNW.

But to Seatown's point...How can you forget Almost Live?? Holy crap that was the quintessential "end of the night, coming home fried from the party" show to watch. They still show reruns to this very day. Classic stoner comedy.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Watched Brakeman Bill every day as a kid. And J.P. of course.

"Marshawn Lynch does not run. He rumbles. And he shook the ground with a perfect '10' on the Beast-Quake Scale"
    NFL Films on 24 yard TD run in NFCCG vs Packers

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:57 am
  • The Count scared the beejesus out of me when I was a kid.

Almost live rocked! Cashman and son have tried to revive their version of
    It, but it's not the same.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:04 pm
  • dbmack wrote:I grew up with Portland stations. Mr Duffy, Rusty Nails, Addie Bobkins and Feather, Ramblin' Rod. I'm sure there were others that I can't remember right now.

Proud winner of Ramblin' Rods smile of the day right here. Around 1982.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• chris98251 wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:J.P Patches..Theres a clown I had forgotten about..Don't forget Romper Room

Romper Room, Captain Kangaroo, Art Linkletter, Kukla Fran and Ollie Show, I think were all National, Like Sesame Street.

Romper Room I think was a national franchise thing, but was shot in different locations.

I was on it for a week- in Tacoma- channel 11. Miss Margaret was kinda hot, but other than that it was a forgettable experience.

JP Patches was where it was at for me. Awesome local kids' show that adults could also appreciate.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• Cool keep them coming, looking to hear form others outside the Northwest as well and with some pics of the shows or hosts if possible, some are hard to find now, took some digging to get The Count and Wunda Wunda.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I remember a local Tacoma/Seattle show- dude that wore a superhero outfit of some kind in the early days of Channel 13. It was a kids' show- I don't think it was on very long- certainly not iconic like some of the others.

They guy had a rant/meltdown episode on screen- they actually let it air- but that was the last episode...?

Money if anyone can find anything on that one!
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:
    dbmack wrote:I grew up with Portland stations. Mr Duffy, Rusty Nails, Addie Bobkins and Feather, Ramblin' Rod. I'm sure there were others that I can't remember right now.

Proud winner of Ramblin' Rods smile of the day right here. Around 1982.

:2thumbs:

Addie Bobkins and Feather made a personal appearance at one of our local grocery stores when I was a kid. My sister and I got to pet Feather. I remember thinking how soft he was.

dbmack
    NET Veteran

• Grahamhawker wrote:I remember a local Tacoma/Seattle show- dude that wore a superhero outfit of some kind in the early days of Channel 13. It was a kids' show- I don't think it was on very long- certainly not iconic like some of the others.

They guy had a rant/meltdown episode on screen- they actually let it air- but that was the last episode...?

Flash Blaidon was the show, early 70's era.

I found a reference to it on Wiki:

"KTVW launched an afternoon cartoon show hosted by a "superhero" for whom viewers were asked to suggest a name. The winning entry was "Flash Blaidon" and the host frequently made his entrance "flying" onto the set by jumping off a ladder whose shadow was often visible on the back wall of the cramped studio."

I could not find any clips or even a pic.

Anyone remember that one?
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• Grahamhawker wrote:
    Grahamhawker wrote:I remember a local Tacoma/Seattle show- dude that wore a superhero outfit of some kind in the early days of Channel 13. It was a kids' show- I don't think it was on very long- certainly not iconic like some of the others.

Flash Blaidon was the show, early 70's era.

I found a reference to it on Wiki:

"KTVW launched an afternoon cartoon show hosted by a "superhero" for whom viewers were asked to suggest a name. The winning entry was "Flash Blaidon" and the host frequently made his entrance "flying" onto the set by jumping off a ladder whose shadow was often visible on the back wall of the cramped studio."

I could not find any clips or even a pic.

Anyone remember that one?

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• ^That's the one!^

Hilarious :2thumbs:
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• We didn't get a TV until 1972, when I was 12. My parents refused to install the giant mast antenna which was needed to get Adelaide stations from 150 miles/250 km away. When a repeater mast was built in the town near which we lived, they finally got one. There was only one station - the government-run Australian Broadcasting Commission. No commercials, not that you notice that so much as a kid. I recall watching, in no particular order:

Doctor Who
    The Banana Splits
    Kimba the White Lion
    F Troop
    Origami (instructional by a guy called Robert Harbin - I fantasised about an imaginary, stupendous machine which could record this from the TV, so I could watch it again)

When I stayed with my grandmother in Adelaide (4 channels to choose from!), I loved watching all the obligatory cartoons (Bugs Bunny, etc etc), but my favourite programs were Lost in Space, Marine Boy, Gigantor, Flipper and Seahunt.

BTW, I don't know when it started in the US, UK, or various other locations, but TV did not arrive in Australia until 1956, and colour not until 1975.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:16 pm
  • JP Patches used to our neighbor out on Camano Island. He moved there when I was getting a bit older, towards my teen years, but it was still pretty cool.

As far as TV stations, I lived most of my life in the Islands -- was born in Anacortes, lived on Orcas for a few years and Camano most of my life, so struggled with receptions on the prime stations -- KOMO, KING, et. so I pretty much grew up on Canadian TV -- channel 2, 12, 10, and 8, and I think one local channel, 11. Which meant 1950's and 60's Sci Fi and Horror shows and movies all Saturday and Sunday.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:43 pm
  • The_Z_Man wrote:JP Patches used to our neighbor out on Camano Island. He moved there when I was getting a bit older, towards my teen years, but it was still pretty cool.

As far as TV stations, I lived most of my life in the Islands -- was born in Anacortes, lived on Orcas for a few years and Camano most of my life, so struggled with receptions on the prime stations -- KOMO, KING, et. so I pretty much grew up on Canadian TV -- channel 2, 12, 10, and 8, and I think one local channel, 11. Which meant 1950's and 60's Sci Fi and Horror shows and movies all Saturday and Sunday.

Cool, Met JP also, he was a Engineer actually for KIRO, even after the show stopped being shown he worked the studio and did his Public appearances as JP.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    The_Z_Man wrote:JP Patches used to our neighbor out on Camano Island. He moved there when I was getting a bit older, towards my teen years, but it was still pretty cool.

Cool, Met JP also, he was a Engineer actually for KIRO, even after the show stopped being shown he worked the studio and did his Public appearances as JP.

Yea, I remembering him showing us how radios worked. His garage was filled with all kinds of cool gadgets.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:31 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    The_Z_Man wrote:JP Patches used to our neighbor out on Camano Island. He moved there when I was getting a bit older, towards my teen years, but it was still pretty cool.

He made quite a bit of money going around as JP long after it went off the air.
    About 10 years ago a co-workers wife paid him to show up at her husbands birthday party as a surprise.
    He wasn't cheap either.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I used to watch Engineer Bill as a kid growing up in Southern California.

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:I used to watch Engineer Bill as a kid growing up in Southern California.

Need more of these, that's cool though and you found a picture!

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:14 am
  • From the Chicago area, WGN Channel 9 "Bozo The Clown".

Unfortunately this has a commercial you have to skip past.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *

• That's also pulls some memory strings, I remember watching the cartoon and seeing the doll that you pulled a string on and it talked in stores.

Cools stuff.

Looking at the crowd and how everyone was dressed pretty formally as well as the Commercials was also interesting, innocence and the way times have changed, The Cheerios commercial and Leprechaun ones show them beating up or getting beat up, now days they say that promotes violence lol, funny really, they can play video games killing things though now .

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Maulbert wrote:This is probably a bit past your time, but anyone else remember Boomerang?

It ran on KOMO in the late 70's/early 80's and was hosted by Marni Nixon, who played Sister Sophia in The Sound of Music and dubbed the singing voices for Deborah Kerr, Natalie Wood, and Audrey Hepburn in The King and I, West Side Story, and My Fair Lady, respectively. Sadly, she passed away last July at the age of 86 from cancer.

Interesting...I never saw the local show, but i met her a few times and even had dinner with her in late 1978, when i was renting a basement apartment from her boyfriend, a local doctor.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:05 pm
  • Yeah I remember it, before WWE when Wrestling was regionally promoted , remember Piper, Snuka, Rose, Ventura and many others that became stars on the WWF. Grandpa used to Watch it, they were pretty bloody back then as well.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Yeah I remember it, before WWE when Wrestling was regionally promoted , remember Piper, Snuka, Rose, Ventura and many others that became stars on the WWF. Grandpa used to Watch it, they were pretty bloody back then as well.

My older brother went to it in town. Him and his friends saw Superfly Snuka short kid, Buddy Rose, and I think Ventura along with other 3 or 5 wannabes. Every time they turned around, they were yelling Hair Hair Hair, and the ref would stop the match and check if they did anything wrong.....made it a mockery. I went to it in Boise many years back and never will go again. Heck, never watched it after that anyway. They have something called ring of honor now which is not being seen by me.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat. MEOW.......
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Well local promotions back then shows were done in small venues, I remember the Skating Rink in Everett used to have the Wrestling that was in Portland on Saturdays and on TV every week, we would see it on the bill board. Never went to any, my parents were not the fans that grandpa was lol.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:00 am
  • Sorry, all I remember is I WON'T BE UNDERSOLD over and over.

I did, however, visit my Mom in Ballard the other year and see Steve Pool on TV. The man hasn't aged a day in 20 years. What's his secret?
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:40 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:portland wrasslin !

There was a wrestling show on one of our TV channels, can't remember which one, but my favorite was Rocky Johnson.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:portland wrasslin !

Rip Oliver v Billy Jack was the stuff of legends in my childhood.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 9:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information