Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

DST. Get Rid Of It Already!

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:39 pm
  • Introduced in the US in 1918, for various antiquated reasonings, it's time to get rid of it already. Last I checked this is the 21st Century and there's no real usefulness for it that I gather other than extended daylight into the evening. Well call me the proverbial old man on the porch yelling at the kids to get off of my lawn but christ sakes do we really need it to be light out until 10pm in the Summer?

    Stupid. Washington State is looking into a vote to abolish DST and I hope it passes.
    Image

    There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 11128
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:49 pm
  • Aros wrote:Introduced in the US in 1918, for various antiquated reasonings, it's time to get rid of it already. Last I checked this is the 21st Century and there's no real usefulness for it that I gather other than extended daylight into the evening. Well call me the proverbial old man on the porch yelling at the kids to get off of my lawn but christ sakes do we really need it to be light out until 10pm in the Summer?

    Stupid. Washington State is looking into a vote to abolish DST and I hope it passes.

    I'd rather have light out at 10 for a brief period of summer than have sunrise before 4 with light out between 3:15-3:30 for a portion of summer. I'm not a huge fan of changing clocks either, but if we were to stop, I'd rather have DST be in effect year round to get the extra light at the end of the day rather than the beginning. I've never cared if the sun is or isn't up during my morning commute, but I sure do want as much as I can after work.
    nIdahoSeahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 378
    Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:46 pm
    Location: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:09 pm
  • Wtf. Wow I didn't know people actually thought like this. I would rather get read of standard time and always operate om DST. No way u like it dark at 5pm. I count the days every year until DST again. I truly believe if they remove DST we will see depression rates skyrocket here in Wa.
    stang233
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 184
    Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:59 am


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:10 pm
  • How is this Hawk related?
    User avatar
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1556
    Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:23 pm


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:43 pm
  • I don't like ever having to concede an hour of my life to something as silly as DST. Why? So it can be light out at 10pm at night in the Summer versus 9pm? Why the hell would that matter? I don't need daylight until 10pm. 7-8pm suffices for most people I would think.

    I also don't like it getting dark at 4pm either when we Fall Back. It cuts both ways.

    Why people like DST I will never understand. Not in this era.
    Image

    There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 11128
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:46 pm
  • I agree. Loved living in AZ. No DST

    (And scantly clad co eds rollerblading to class)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12333
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:02 am
  • While we're at it let's get rid of the national marijuana laws.
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34838
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:34 am
  • I agree... Stay on DST.... I never seem to adjust to Standard Time. Make it so Aros!
    User avatar
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 462
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:35 am
  • Some that golf do like to be able to go a round of 18 after work. This gives them that opportunity. I think there was a bill in our state too that they were discussing dropping DST too in Idaho. Dont know if it got any traction.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7210
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:10 am
  • I am a big defender of DST. I LOVE it! People say they lose an hour of sleep. Yeah, for one freakin' day, and it's a Sunday so who gives a shit? Plus you get an extra hour (on a Sunday) when we fall back. I seriously do not even notice it. I just live my life according to what the clock says and it has absolutely zero impact of my schedule or life. People act like their whole summer has 23 hour days or something. To me, setting the clocks ahead is the signal that Summer is right around the corner, and I look forward to it every year! In the spring, summer, and most of fall, you get that valuable extra hour of evening sunlight... another hour on the beach, out on your boat, playing volleyball, working on your house or yard, whatever. Not to mention, we'd be one of those oddball places that is out of synch with the rest of the country. And I'd be onboard with changing it to permanent DST. I too hate it when it's dark at 5 pm in the winter. I will be furious if they change it.
    Image
    "Well, he's what you call 'on the bubble' with Porky-pine pants". Steve Largent, when he used to do color for Seahawks Pre-Season games...

    RIP Les
    :les:
    User avatar
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*
     
    Posts: 3468
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:39 am
    Location: Arlington, Washington


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:41 pm
  • We can get rid of it as long as we stay in the daylight savings part. Longer daylight for the win. It also helps traffic not be quite as bad because most people slow down a little bit when it's dark out for no damned valid reason.

    I suppose if you don't enjoy doing outdoor activities, you may not care, but for those of us that like to do things like work a full day as a responsible adult, then go on a 40-mile bicycle ride, it's nice to be able to do that without it being pitch black as early.

    Seriously, give one valid reason why you need it to get pitch black outside by 4:45pm during the winter. WHAT IS THE POINT?

    Also, this crap about losing an hour of sleep is BS. It's in your mind. Yes, the weekend's one hour shorter, but if it affects you the day after, that crap is psychosomatic. You THINK it affects you so your body makes it so. This is a real phenomenon about the human body; your beliefs can and do influence the physical body.

    It's no damned different than sleeping an hour past your alarm on a Sunday morning by accident.

    Build yourselves a bridge and get the **** over it.

    LONG LIVE MORE EVENING DAYLIGHT!
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30811
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:19 pm
  • Love this old quote, apocryphal or not:

    "When told the reason for daylight saving time the old native American said…
    ‘Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket.’"

    I don't really have anything against Daylight Saving (except for the curtains fading) :)
    but I associate it with the beginning of summer, which I loathe. It means latest sunset here is about 8:30PM, which is fine.

    When I was a kid I looked after the chooks (chickens). I used to let them out of their house when I got home from school. When daylight saving started, they were surprised to be let out "early." They very soon adjusted to the new time, becoming eager to be let out when I arrived. When DS ended, though, I was "late" to let them out, and it was chicken chaos, as they were NOT happy to be cooped up for extra time.

    Point being, FWIW, even chickens have an acute sense of "time" by sun position. Sorry, I digress yet again...
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 240
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:41 pm
  • As much as I hate it. It really makes sense in anywhere not extremely north like Washington or any state similarly north. Dark and ice are real issues everywhere in latitudes the same as Washington and much further south. The PNW has about the mildest weather possible.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 968
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:27 am


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:58 pm
  • Putting this back on topic since we derailed it.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 21697
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:32 am
  • If you live in the sub-tropical South, you have an appreciation for a little earlier daylight in your workday, and a bit more tolerable temps in your afternoon. The difference between 3:00pm and 4:00pm temps can be as much as 10 degrees.

    Starting your workday before daybreak and clocking out before the scorch is commonplace for many here.
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 12404
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am
    Location: Beneath, Between & Behind


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:55 am
  • I thought this board didn't have a PWR board? Hmmmm...

    In all seriousness, I actually prefer DST. I'd much rather have an hour of cooler temps in the morning and an hour of warmer temps/more light at the end of the day.

    You could probably even make a case that Standard Time is actually less economically productive than DST. Worse/slower traffic, less revenue and patronage for businesses that operate later than 5pm (retailers, restaurants, bars, theaters, etc.). In climates that are relatively extreme, a lot of labor intensive businesses start early in the day. Construction projects, farms, orchards, etc. regularly start at 4am-5am and end their days around noon or 1pm to avoid working during the hottest parts of the day. Surely workers are going to be happier and more productive in cooler temps.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1430
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:40 am
  • I'm not a fan of the time change either. I don't care which one we are on, I would just prefer to stay there. Arizona does that, right? Might have to move there!

    It totally jacks with my kids' ability to wake up for school.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105019
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:46 am
  • I'm a big fan of DST.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23226
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:42 pm
  • stang233 wrote:Wtf. Wow I didn't know people actually thought like this. I would rather get read of standard time and always operate om DST. No way u like it dark at 5pm. I count the days every year until DST again. I truly believe if they remove DST we will see depression rates skyrocket here in Wa.


    Wtf? It stays light until like 9:30pm during DST. Why is that necessary?

    And I like to kick back at home at 8:00pm and watch some TV or play some video games, but I can't because it's too light out and there's glare everywhere. So frustrating. And right now, I'm waking up depressed and tired every morning because it's dark when it should be light.

    Change it to standard time. And keep it there. It doesn't need to be light until 9:30pm in the summer. Plus, permanently switching to DST will make the driving conditions in the morning more dangerous during the winter.
    User avatar
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6125
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:45 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:Love this old quote, apocryphal or not:

    "When told the reason for daylight saving time the old native American said…
    ‘Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket.’"



    I love this quote, too. There is no "savings" with DST. There is still the same amount of hours of daylight.
    User avatar
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6125
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:01 pm
  • From a purely physiological perspective, scientists are now saying that the human genome has enough evidence now of not being from Earth. Apparently, test subjects were found to be most rested and non-fatigued while settling into a 25.5-hour circadian rhythm.

    We are the only species on the planet that is always ill, and the heads of our newborns are too large for delivery.
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 12404
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am
    Location: Beneath, Between & Behind


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:19 pm
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:From a purely physiological perspective, scientists are now saying that the human genome has enough evidence now of not being from Earth. Apparently, test subjects were found to be most rested and non-fatigued while settling into a 25.5-hour circadian rhythm.

    We are the only species on the planet that is always ill, and the heads of our newborns are too large for delivery.

    I can't find it right now but don't have much time to thoroughly search, but I remember reading a study that put people in underground bunkers as a test and they didn't even have clocks, much less access to daylight; and they ended up having circadian rhythms even longer than that. I want to say it was like 28 hours, or something? I don't recall; I wish I could find it right now.

    Regardless of the reason or cause, it definitely seems that we're not meant for a 24-hour cycle; that's just our planet forcing it on us. :)
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30811
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:26 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    HoustonHawk82 wrote:From a purely physiological perspective, scientists are now saying that the human genome has enough evidence now of not being from Earth. Apparently, test subjects were found to be most rested and non-fatigued while settling into a 25.5-hour circadian rhythm.

    We are the only species on the planet that is always ill, and the heads of our newborns are too large for delivery.

    I can't find it right now but don't have much time to thoroughly search, but I remember reading a study that put people in underground bunkers as a test and they didn't even have clocks, much less access to daylight; and they ended up having circadian rhythms even longer than that. I want to say it was like 28 hours, or something? I don't recall; I wish I could find it right now.

    Regardless of the reason or cause, it definitely seems that we're not meant for a 24-hour cycle; that's just our planet forcing it on us. :)


    Bajorans.....26 hour days.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7210
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:51 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:Bajorans.....26 hour days.


    I'd like to spend 26 hours with Kira Nerys. :)

    Coincidence - just started watching Deep Space Nine on Netflix for the first time since it was (new) on TV in the mid 90s, and remembering I never saw the final season at all.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 240
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:09 pm

Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:52 pm
  • ^ If that dude pushes for us to stay in the DST version, I'm all for it. I'd love that.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30811
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:15 pm
  • Keep it PST year round. No spring forwards, no fall backs. We don't need it to be dark at 4pm in the Fall/Winter and we don't need it to be light out at 10pm in the Summer.

    Good lord, sometimes the obvious just floats over our collective heads.
    Image

    There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 11128
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:21 pm
  • You just argued both ways...Don't need it dark at 4pm means keep it in savings time mode, don't need it light at 10pm means keep it in standard time mode.

    If that's supposed to mean that you don't care which, except that we end the practice of changing it twice a year, then why not just always stay in the savings time mode?
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30811
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:09 am
  • Aros wrote:Keep it PST year round. No spring forwards, no fall backs. We don't need it to be dark at 4pm in the Fall/Winter and we don't need it to be light out at 10pm in the Summer.

    Good lord, sometimes the obvious just floats over our collective heads.


    LOL
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5850
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:48 pm
  • My entire life I have looked forward to the long summer weekend nights in Eastern Washington. 9:30 PM, still enough daylight to see by, temps finally down into the 70s, loving the weather and extra sunlight while on the water, driving a back road with the windows down, at an Indians ballgame or out on a pub crawl. Feeling free, celebrating life!

    Stay on DST, fine with me. Keep as is, fine with me.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    User avatar
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3582
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
    Location: Spokangeles


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:37 am
  • what would we do during the winter mornings? just suffer through the extra cold, darkness, and icy roads?
    User avatar
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6125
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:21 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:what would we do during the winter mornings? just suffer through the extra cold, darkness, and icy roads?


    lol it's one hour not half a day. Winter is already all of those things (cold, dark, potential for ice) and one hour generally doesn't bring about a 10+ degree difference in the dead of winter, especially at 8/9am where it's going to be dark pretty much no matter what.

    I guess I'm saying you could be a responsible adult for the extra hour.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1430
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:29 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:what would we do during the winter mornings? just suffer through the extra cold, darkness, and icy roads?


    lol it's one hour not half a day. Winter is already all of those things (cold, dark, potential for ice) and one hour generally doesn't bring about a 10+ degree difference in the dead of winter, especially at 8/9am where it's going to be dark pretty much no matter what.

    I guess I'm saying you could be a responsible adult for the extra hour.

    Not to mention, it's barely even an argument. You're changing an hour of darkness from the evening commute to the morning commute. Big deal. Yes, it's icier in mornings than in evenings most of the time, but people are mainly using the "because profit" reason for wanting to get rid of DST anyways, not safety reasons.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30811
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:34 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:what would we do during the winter mornings? just suffer through the extra cold, darkness, and icy roads?


    lol it's one hour not half a day. Winter is already all of those things (cold, dark, potential for ice) and one hour generally doesn't bring about a 10+ degree difference in the dead of winter, especially at 8/9am where it's going to be dark pretty much no matter what.

    I guess I'm saying you could be a responsible adult for the extra hour.

    Not to mention, it's barely even an argument. You're changing an hour of darkness from the evening commute to the morning commute. Big deal. Yes, it's icier in mornings than in evenings most of the time, but people are mainly using the "because profit" reason for wanting to get rid of DST anyways, not safety reasons.



    Oh I might slip and get a boo boo argument, our forefathers are spinning round and round in their graves at the pussification of what we have become. Learn to drive in it, don't be in a damn hurry to die. Throwing this is also, the Greater Seattle area and I guess Portland have their unique melt issues when it snows, we get a melt and freeze and then a Ice base a lot, nothing stops you moving on ice but control, not chains, not studs, not all wheels drive, once you start to slide your going. Most other places get a compact snow base that is very easy to navigate on, lived in both environments, also we get a wet snow more then a dry here so again more water in it and more ice.

    Eastern Washington has a lot dryer winter and snow is dryer as well compacts good and can be driven on and stays that way till a good melt happens.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 21697
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:54 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:what would we do during the winter mornings? just suffer through the extra cold, darkness, and icy roads?


    lol it's one hour not half a day. Winter is already all of those things (cold, dark, potential for ice) and one hour generally doesn't bring about a 10+ degree difference in the dead of winter, especially at 8/9am where it's going to be dark pretty much no matter what.

    I guess I'm saying you could be a responsible adult for the extra hour.

    Not to mention, it's barely even an argument. You're changing an hour of darkness from the evening commute to the morning commute. Big deal. Yes, it's icier in mornings than in evenings most of the time, but people are mainly using the "because profit" reason for wanting to get rid of DST anyways, not safety reasons.



    Oh I might slip and get a boo boo argument, our forefathers are spinning round and round in their graves at the pussification of what we have become. Learn to drive in it, don't be in a damn hurry to die. Throwing this is also, the Greater Seattle area and I guess Portland have their unique melt issues when it snows, we get a melt and freeze and then a Ice base a lot, nothing stops you moving on ice but control, not chains, not studs, not all wheels drive, once you start to slide your going. Most other places get a compact snow base that is very easy to navigate on, lived in both environments, also we get a wet snow more then a dry here so again more water in it and more ice.

    Eastern Washington has a lot dryer winter and snow is dryer as well compacts good and can be driven on and stays that way till a good melt happens.


    Absolutely. The main issues for most places on the west side is the lack of snow/ice removal equipment. All of it gets packed down, becomes icy and then the melt/freeze keeps it icy as hell until it gets warm enough to fully melt and evaporate.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1430
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:27 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Oh I might slip and get a boo boo argument, our forefathers are spinning round and round in their graves at the pussification of what we have become. Learn to drive in it, don't be in a damn hurry to die. Throwing this is also, the Greater Seattle area and I guess Portland have their unique melt issues when it snows, we get a melt and freeze and then a Ice base a lot, nothing stops you moving on ice but control, not chains, not studs, not all wheels drive, once you start to slide your going. Most other places get a compact snow base that is very easy to navigate on, lived in both environments, also we get a wet snow more then a dry here so again more water in it and more ice.

    Eastern Washington has a lot dryer winter and snow is dryer as well compacts good and can be driven on and stays that way till a good melt happens.

    I'm not the one on the "safety" side, and I lived in Wisconsin for 10 years; I know how to drive in snow and ice.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30811
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:01 pm
  • The only logical conclusion to this argument is to set our clocks to one half hour forward/back, exactly between standard and DST, and keep it there all year around. 8)
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 23326
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:32 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:The only logical conclusion to this argument is to set our clocks to one half hour forward/back, exactly between standard and DST, and keep it there all year around. 8)


    I like this idea. Everyone wins.
    User avatar
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6125
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:40 pm
  • stang233 wrote:Wtf. Wow I didn't know people actually thought like this. I would rather get read of standard time and always operate on DST. No way u like it dark at 5pm. I count the days every year until DST again.

    This.
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9584
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: DST. Get Rid Of It Already!
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:58 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:
    stang233 wrote:Wtf. Wow I didn't know people actually thought like this. I would rather get read of standard time and always operate on DST. No way u like it dark at 5pm. I count the days every year until DST again.

    This.


    That doesn't make sense to me. It's only dark at 5pm during the cold months of the year when DST isn't in effect. After that, the days get longer on their own without DST.
    User avatar
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6125
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm




It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online