Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Wave goodbye: Live Seafair hydro TV coverage

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • It is hard to quantify how sad this makes me. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest within earshot of the hydroplane races. I can still hear those piston-powered boats echoing off Lake Washington to my house in Kent like it was yesterday.

Outside of Seahawks games, I can't think of a more anticipated annual TV event I love to watch other than Seafair. Between the hydro races and Blue Angels, I always look forward to the first Sunday in August like a kid on Christmas morning. Not a big fan of crowds, nothing beat my view from my couch on those Sundays.

To KIRO it's about ratings, and I totally get that. A 2.3 share is pathetic any way you slice it. But this shouldn't just be about ratings. It's a 66-year enterprise and treasure deeply entrenched in the local community. There has to be a viable solution that can save the live coverage of the hydro races and air show.

If you feel the same, I would profoundly appreciate if you would share this.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... e_left_1.1

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:It is hard to quantify how sad this makes me. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest within earshot of the hydroplane races. I can still hear those piston-powered boats echoing off Lake Washington to my house in Kent like it was yesterday.

Outside of Seahawks games, I can't think of a more anticipated annual TV event I love to watch other than Seafair. Between the hydro races and Blue Angels, I always look forward to the first Sunday in August like a kid on Christmas morning. Not a big fan of crowds, nothing beat my view from my couch on those Sundays.

To KIRO it's about ratings, and I totally get that. A 2.3 share is pathetic any way you slice it. But this shouldn't just be about ratings. It's a 66-year enterprise and treasure deeply entrenched in the local community. There has to be a viable solution that can save the live coverage of the hydro races and air show.

If you feel the same, I would profoundly appreciate if you would share this.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... e_left_1.1

I kind of felt it was circling the drain once they started running half the heats the day before (Saturday) and started having too much of the lower classes of boats be part of the coverage. They also didn't cover the history of it the past few years. I understand the low ratings part but IMHO KIRO's decisions of the above helped seal the fate.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• They should have got rid of the turbine engines a long tome ago, boats with big sponsers jumped into the lead after that and the days Pride of Pay and Pak and Squire Shop etc faded away and it became a Miss Budweiser and for a time Atlas Van Lines then who ever was second and third.

The other aspect is as the area grew and the competition became less the history and nostalgia, there was a time when all three local stations covered the race, Lake Washington was the place to go, well then people started complaining about noise, litter, and everything else, can really tell the born and raised versus imports moved in the imports had no real interest, the City wanted to find a way to start filling coffers and it went down hill after that.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I do miss Chip and the Miss Budweiser, Smokin Joe, or that AVL boat. Miss Squire Shop was my favorite though. Gorwing up in the valley, Drivers would post up at the gas station or even the dairy freeze on their way from Spokane to Seattle and we could hang out with their boats, all tilted sideways on the trailers...

Only went to the races once. Couldn't see shit.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• It's just a shame. Such a cool sport that never really gained much traction nationally. There's a myriad of reasons for it. Big sponsors dropping out was a huge blow (i.e. Budweiser). Not since the 80's (Pay N Pak, Circus Circus, Squire Shop, Bud, Atlas Van Lines, etc) has there been much excitement with Budweiser winning most the heats through the 90's and early 00's.

I agree with Sports Hernia, there was just too much dilution with the sub-class boat coverage. Without the big sponsor boats to root for (or against), it's admittedly not that compelling, and 8 hour live coverage is difficult for any network to cover any sport event. So I get it. I get all of it, but it still makes me really bummed out and I hope somebody local like Q13 FOX picks it up.

Here's my 1:8 scale 1982 Miss Pay N Pak (my favorite all-time boat) that I had custom built.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:It's just a shame. Such a cool sport that never really gained much traction nationally. There's a myriad of reasons for it. Big sponsors dropping out was a huge blow (i.e. Budweiser). Not since the 80's (Pay N Pak, Circus Circus, Squire Shop, Bud, Atlas Van Lines, etc) has there been much excitement with Budweiser winning most the heats through the 90's and early 00's.

I agree with Sports Hernia, there was just too much dilution with the sub-class boat coverage. Without the big sponsor boats to root for (or against), it's admittedly not that compelling, and 8 hour live coverage is difficult for any network to cover any sport event. So I get it. I get all of it, but it still makes me really bummed out and I hope somebody local like Q13 FOX picks it up.

Here's my 1:8 scale 1982 Miss Pay N Pak (my favorite all-time boat) that I had custom built.

Ahhh was always The Pride of Pay N Pak, not Miss. Only Hydroplane I can remember ever that did not have the Miss. I know others called it the Miss at times but it was always announced as the Pride of Pay N Pak and there is no Miss on the Hull.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Sad indeed. When Bill Muncey died I think the sport slowly went that way. The rivalries between the boats. Bernie Little and Miss Bud (I actually was a HUGE Michelob fan in the 70's-80's until Red Hook came out in the 80's). When Bud pulled sponsership it was over.

That and they weren't "thunderboats" anymore. It's really sad that they didn't use the Allison engine model and make an aluminum version to keep it going.

Drag racing did it with the old Chrysler HEMI engines. They burned through all the cast iron and steel ones and Art Donovan basically took one and replicated it, and that design is still in use. If the Hydros had done a similar thing I think it would be way different. But alas....time goes by and so do generations.

I cried my eyes out when I was in attendance at Longacres for the last day of racing there after Boeing bought the land and basically did nothing with it after destroying a beautiful race track and peoples lives with it.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• chris98251 wrote:
    Aros wrote:It's just a shame. Such a cool sport that never really gained much traction nationally. There's a myriad of reasons for it. Big sponsors dropping out was a huge blow (i.e. Budweiser). Not since the 80's (Pay N Pak, Circus Circus, Squire Shop, Bud, Atlas Van Lines, etc) has there been much excitement with Budweiser winning most the heats through the 90's and early 00's.

Ahhh was always The Pride of Pay N Pak, not Miss. Only Hydroplane I can remember ever that did not have the Miss. I know others called it the Miss at times but it was always announced as the Pride of Pay N Pak and there is no Miss on the Hull.

Whoops, I knew that...Just spaced it.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Largent80 wrote:Sad indeed. When Bill Muncey died I think the sport slowly went that way. The rivalries between the boats. Bernie Little and Miss Bud (I actually was a HUGE Michelob fan in the 70's-80's until Red Hook came out in the 80's). When Bud pulled sponsership it was over.

That and they weren't "thunderboats" anymore. It's really sad that they didn't use the Allison engine model and make an aluminum version to keep it going.

Drag racing did it with the old Chrysler HEMI engines. They burned through all the cast iron and steel ones and Art Donovan basically took one and replicated it, and that design is still in use. If the Hydros had done a similar thing I think it would be way different. But alas....time goes by and so do generations.

I cried my eyes out when I was in attendance at Longacres for the last day of racing there after Boeing bought the land and basically did nothing with it after destroying a beautiful race track and peoples lives with it.

You are right about Muncey. Sport never was the same after he died.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:It's just a shame. Such a cool sport that never really gained much traction nationally. There's a myriad of reasons for it. Big sponsors dropping out was a huge blow (i.e. Budweiser). Not since the 80's (Pay N Pak, Circus Circus, Squire Shop, Bud, Atlas Van Lines, etc) has there been much excitement with Budweiser winning most the heats through the 90's and early 00's.

Was Circus Circus the pink one? Kinda remember that from the tv when I was elsewhere....speaking of which.

I was in our day room with a dude from Tricities Wa whose parents lived on the upper deck off the river. Could see the races on the Columbia when they were running from his house. We were in school in Mississippi and watched that race that day on Saturday. Being as we were both from the area within 40 miles, it was good to get back to our roots. He got a degree and moved back there working for that fun place up north a bit. I stayed in for the most part in the Air Force and am having fun.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Yep CIrcus Circus was the pink one. Here's shots when men where men. ;)

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Tri-Cities.....

R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Just another instance of vanishing Seattle. Add this to the list. :cry:

The city is growing so fast, so many transplants are moving in.... old relics are being bulldozed to make way for shiny new 'multi-purpose' cookie cutter buildings. All the old unique quirky Seattle institutions are going away one by one.

Not only are we losing buildings/businesses but the culture is changing as well, this is a perfect example.

https://www.instagram.com/vanishingseattle/
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:Just another instance of vanishing Seattle. Add this to the list. :cry:

The city is growing so fast, so many transplants are moving in.... old relics are being bulldozed to make way for shiny new 'multi-purpose' cookie cutter buildings. All the old unique quirky Seattle institutions are going away one by one.

Not only are we losing buildings/businesses but the culture is changing as well, this is a perfect example.

https://www.instagram.com/vanishingseattle/

Agreed, waiting for the Walmart in placed of Pike Place.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Lake Stevens is building a Costco and multiplex theater. That place was awesome when I lived there, now it is just swarming with people.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:Lake Stevens is building a Costco and multiplex theater. That place was awesome when I lived there, now it is just swarming with people.

Lake Stevens is not that get away across the bridge anymore, it's been built up and now is it's own big mess and is only going to get worse, anyone that had cabins on the lake is now a multi millionaire I imagine.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I had 5 acres near 92 and when I visited the area in 2013 (which was all douglas fir) it was inundated with housing tracts. They just raped the entire area.

I could hardly tell where my house was and my barn was long gone. What a shame.

In fact now where my property is/was is a storage unit area. De Jong sawdust was across from me and the guy that ran it used to bring his skiploader over and built me a killer motocross track in my pasture. I used to have EPIC parties out there with hundreds of people showing up. Actually if you go to street view, my property is where Monroe Welding is and my house is still there, but there was NOTHING around the entire area, just woods. Now its just gone. :cry:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lake+ ... 22.0637425
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:I had 5 acres near 92 and when I visited the area in 2013 (which was all douglas fir) it was inundated with housing tracts. They just raped the entire area.

I could hardly tell where my house was and my barn was long gone. What a shame.

In fact now where my property is/was is a storage unit area. De Jong sawdust was across from me and the guy that ran it used to bring his skiploader over and built me a killer motocross track in my pasture. I used to have EPIC parties out there with hundreds of people showing up. Actually if you go to street view, my property is where Monroe Welding is and my house is still there, but there was NOTHING around the entire area, just woods. Now its just gone. :cry:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lake+ ... 22.0637425

Population and area growth is happening so fast that away from a place 6 months and you may not recognize things when you go back.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• http://www.seattletimes.com/business/re ... shrinking/

Seattle has again been named the crane capital of America, as the local construction boom shows little sign of slowing in 2017.

Seattle had 62 cranes dotting the skyline at the end of 2016, the most in the country
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Goodbye Seattle. I remember you when you were a great, unique, cozy, innovative city.

Now you're just a city.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:Goodbye Seattle. I remember you when you were a great, unique, cozy, innovative city.

Now you're just a city.

And affordable.

Little house 1 block from us, went on the market.... $850,000 :shock: A little typical older house, u see all over Ballard, with a tiny yard, 850. :34853_doh:

My mom, who grew up in Ballard, is just so confused by the whole thing. She's always saying, 'people used to live in Ballard because it was cheap. It was a working class neighborhood.'
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• It's disgusting quite frankly. Tourists recently rated Seattle as one of the worst cities to visit. The only time I even bother to go to the city anymore is for Seahawks games and that's it.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Those of us that are life long residents here have seen the lack of infrastructure to support adding literally millions of people to this are over 20 years, the Metropolis areas and State can't figure out how to work together with the Feds to improve it. We have the same highway systems in place pretty much since the 70's. When they do make a decision it's add tolls to existing lanes shrinking our travel paths farther for the general populace or more Buses.

The one idea that made sense was a light rail above the Interstates with Park and rides at the exits but they decided against that.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Aros wrote:It's disgusting quite frankly. Tourists recently rated Seattle as one of the worst cities to visit. The only time I even bother to go to the city anymore is for Seahawks games and that's it.

Very true. As a lifelong resident (Born, raised, and live here) I rarely go downtown unless it's a sporting event or I'm on vacation and am either driving to Oregon or going to SeaTac for which I'll leave at ungodly hours just to avoid the traffic. ...and lately when I fly I try to fly out of Bellingham as it's cheaper, laid back and a less hassle. They need to start using Paine field as a commercial airport-lite, ASAP IMHO.

I love this area but between traffic, taxes, and housing costs, they may price me out eventually.

The transportation infrastructure (or lack there of) mixed with geography (a strip of land surrounded by water on two sides) is biting this region hard in the butt.

The politicians and city planners of the 60's, 70's and 80's didn't want to deal with the elephant in the room, and we are paying for it now and probably forever.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I just really think, back in the days.. pre 85 it was a local event and tradition, people here, were actually born here and was raised with this. After the mid 80's, we became a city of immigrants who knew or cared less about this event. It's hard to care for something with out living the tradition.

I agree though when they went to jet engines, they lost all the charm of the sport. I go to a race track and I want to hear the pistons.. I want it loud and exciting, those old Hydro's were awesome, nothing sounded like that unless you had a fly over by a P51 or something.

We had some fun times back then.. go to tricities the week before..get skunked and follow it up next week with Seafair before school started.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Build the wall!

I kid....I kid...I think! ;)
    GO HAWKS!
    FPD
    * NET Admin *

• Largent80 wrote:Lake Stevens is building a Costco and multiplex theater. That place was awesome when I lived there, now it is just swarming with people.

When did you live there? I owned a house there right off the lake (north end) from around 96-01.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:It's disgusting quite frankly. Tourists recently rated Seattle as one of the worst cities to visit. The only time I even bother to go to the city anymore is for Seahawks games and that's it.

Other than a few places, there's nothing really there that can't be found anywhere else.. the place is just a dump site of national brands found in every city in America.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• This is terribly sad. I would give my eye teeth to go to Seafair - the hydro races (I just LOVE boat racing), airshow (we have one in maybe 15 years in Adelaide) and the visiting Naval ships. Mind you, I'd give said teeth to revisit Seattle, full stop. It's been 20 years since I visited. Loved all of it, from the top (Seafirst Columbia Center) to the bottom (under Pioneer Square).

Vey proud my Emerald City friends call me The Honorary Seattleite, yet we're separated by the giant puddle of the Pacific Ocean.

I just hope the troll is still under the Fremont Street bridge...
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:

For now.... though they'll probably bulldoze it for a homeless camp or ugly million dollar box houses.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Sounds like Lake Chelan. I know some people who are 3rd and 4th generation inhabitants of Chelan, and they've all pretty much had to move out because of all the rich assholes buying property everywhere and driving costs through the roof.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:

For now.... though they'll probably bulldoze it for a homeless camp or ugly million dollar box houses.

Ugh! I also remember the statue of Lenin in Fremont. Drank a pile of Hefeweizens at a pub near it, before we walked to the Aurora Bridge to meet the troll.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:06 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information