Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder Alaskan Study

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I found this to be very interesting.....

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Results-are-in-from-study-that-put-pregnancy-tests-in-bars-420956953.html

Basically they put over 12,000 pregnancy tests with informational posters in bar restrooms in certain communities and put only informational posters in restrooms at other communities. Those who volunteered to fill out surveys were part of the study (There were over 2,000 volunteers)

It amazes me that even 1 person continued to drink after finding out they were pregnant, but the high ratio of women who found out and quit through this study was surprisingly high (IMO anyway). Not so much that they quit, but that they found out in this fashion.

They say it will be published and hopes are that it is repeated in other communities.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• More evidence that the entire population should be chemically neutered via the water supply and that stringent tests need to be passed in order to be eligible to procreate.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• That's really interesting information though not wholly surprising. I grew up in Alaska and know well the issue people have with alcoholism up there. The fact that the liquor stores are open on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day pretty much says it all.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:More evidence that the entire population should be chemically neutered via the water supply and that stringent tests need to be passed in order to be eligible to procreate.

Paul?
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

• I went to Kotzebue last year to shoot the lights and that was the most depressing place I have ever been in my life, I was ready to leave within 10 minutes of arriving, my plan was just to walk the city, shoot the lights and sleep it off at the airport until my flight the next day left, however they lock the airport :shock: I was stuck in the middle of the zombie apocalypse with no place to stay, no car and an expensive camera (relatively) around my neck and 24 hours to not get killed :D .
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:I went to Kotzebue last year to shoot the lights and that was the most depressing place I have ever been in my life, I was ready to leave within 10 minutes of arriving, my plan was just to walk the city, shoot the lights and sleep it off at the airport until my flight the next day left, however they lock the airport :shock: I was stuck in the middle of the zombie apocalypse with no place to stay, no car and an expensive camera (relatively) around my neck and 24 hours to not get killed :D .

Kotz is indeed a very scary place for a dandy with a fancy camera. Village Alaska airports are not left open overnight and many only see a few planes a day.
    907Hawk
    NET Rookie

• 907Hawk wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:I went to Kotzebue last year to shoot the lights and that was the most depressing place I have ever been in my life, I was ready to leave within 10 minutes of arriving, my plan was just to walk the city, shoot the lights and sleep it off at the airport until my flight the next day left, however they lock the airport :shock: I was stuck in the middle of the zombie apocalypse with no place to stay, no car and an expensive camera (relatively) around my neck and 24 hours to not get killed :D .

Kotz is indeed a very scary place for a dandy with a fancy camera. Village Alaska airports are not left open overnight and many only see a few planes a day.

I can't even explore that town with Google Street View on Google Maps. Wow. They have one pic from an airplane door and that's it for street-level stuff.

I already hate small towns, but small towns in a rural STATE as well...the pits.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    907Hawk wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:I went to Kotzebue last year to shoot the lights and that was the most depressing place I have ever been in my life, I was ready to leave within 10 minutes of arriving, my plan was just to walk the city, shoot the lights and sleep it off at the airport until my flight the next day left, however they lock the airport :shock: I was stuck in the middle of the zombie apocalypse with no place to stay, no car and an expensive camera (relatively) around my neck and 24 hours to not get killed :D .

I can't even explore that town with Google Street View on Google Maps. Wow. They have one pic from an airplane door and that's it for street-level stuff.

I already hate small towns, but small towns in a rural STATE as well...the pits.

I agree, people like you should stay exactly where you are. Personally I love to travel and have worked in many rural Alaska Villages and can appreciate the more laid back lifestyle. You cannot just roll into a Village and expect a starbucks and nice wifi, the "Seattle Freeze" ain't got nothing on rural AK.
    907Hawk
    NET Rookie

• 907Hawk wrote:I agree, people like you should stay exactly where you are. Personally I love to travel and have worked in many rural Alaska Villages and can appreciate the more laid back lifestyle. You cannot just roll into a Village and expect a starbucks and nice wifi, the "Seattle Freeze" ain't got nothing on rural AK.

I'd have to be in the shack to respond to this properly. ;) However, I don't go to Starbucks. Very overrated coffee.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I wanted to go to Barrow when I was in Seattle (I think the world's northernmost hotel is there) but it was very expensive to fly there.

Planning to do Inside Passage cruise in a few years, and also travel inland through Alaska and BC. Was going to do it this year but got a good deal on a Budapest to Amsterdam river cruise, so we're doing that in September/October. Also going to Prague, Dresden, Berlin, Warsaw, Osweicim/Auschwitz memorial,Krakow, Paris, and to the Normandy D-Day landing sites.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Barrow is not that bad actually, I took my dad up there in 99 and they had a bus service that would take you all around the city, cool museum and a couple of ok places to eat. The first thing the bus driver told us was the only people that live here are natives and people who are hiding from something :-) They wanted news about what was happening in the lower 48 and wanted to know what we were doing up there.

I went back about 8 years ago and rented a truck for the day because they no longer have a bus service. It was a blast however I almost died, there is a place northeast of town where the natives put the bones and the unusable parts of the whale, they put them up there to keep the bears out of town, no road that I could find so I decided to walk up there and kinda see how close I could get, some old woman on a snowmobile stopped me after about 1/2 hour of walking and told me to get on now. Apparently I was walking on ice :D and 2 bears had spotted me and somehow got behind me cutting me off from the city.....whoops :D
    Attachments
    4474_1153351041092_1254916_n.jpg
    4474_1153351041092_1254916_n.jpg (39.4 KiB) Viewed 215 times
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:Barrow is not that bad actually, I took my dad up there in 99 and they had a bus service that would take you all around the city, cool museum and a couple of ok places to eat. The first thing the bus driver told us was the only people that live here are natives and people who are hiding from something :-) They wanted news about what was happening in the lower 48 and wanted to know what we were doing up there.

I went back about 8 years ago and rented a truck for the day because they no longer have a bus service. It was a blast however I almost died, there is a place northeast of town where the natives put the bones and the unusable parts of the whale, they put them up there to keep the bears out of town, no road that I could find so I decided to walk up there and kinda see how close I could get, some old woman on a snowmobile stopped me after about 1/2 hour of walking and told me to get on now. Apparently I was walking on ice :D and 2 bears had spotted me and somehow got behind me cutting me off from the city.....whoops :D

Great story! I assume a snowmobile can outrun a polar bear OK, unless it got very close before you're aware of it?

I was in Darwin, in the tropical Northern Territory, in the mid 80s and walking along a beach. Saw a very large shady tree and thought I'd sit down under it for a while (it was Wet season, 95F and 95% humidity). Just as I reached the outskirts of the tree's shade, what I thought was a log started moving. It was a saltwater crocodile, easily 12 feet long. There is no way Usian Bolt ever ran faster than I did...
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information