Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Dark Tower trailer

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Dark Tower trailer
Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:03 am
  • My expectations were never high for this, but I'm still seeing it later today regardless.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:59 pm
  • Reading the reviews reminds me of what happened with The Golden Compass. I'm still excited to see The Dark Tower however. Unsure of when I'll be able to.
    JGreen79
    NET Starter

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:47 pm
  • I'll post my thoughts later tonight or tomorrow. Walking into a 7:15pm showing at Cinebarre now.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:39 pm
  • This very well may be the worst film adaptation based on preexisting written words in the history of cinema. Half of the film isn't even recognizable as being in The Dark Tower universe.

I can't believe they did this to it; and I'm not talking about minor points that only a fanboy nerd would be upset about, here. Anyone who has read the series and sees this will understand what I mean.

Goddamnit.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:03 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:This very well may be the worst film adaptation based on preexisting written words in the history of cinema. Half of the film isn't even recognizable as being in The Dark Tower universe.

I can't believe they did this to it; and I'm not talking about minor points that only a fanboy nerd would be upset about, here. Anyone who has read the series and sees this will understand what I mean.

Goddamnit.

It definitely wasn't the book, but I liked it. I can see why the critics hate it, but I was entertained throughout, and that's really all I want in a movie.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:18 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:This very well may be the worst film adaptation based on preexisting written words in the history of cinema. Half of the film isn't even recognizable as being in The Dark Tower universe.

Goddamnit.

It definitely wasn't the book, but I liked it. I can see why the critics hate it, but I was entertained throughout, and that's really all I want in a movie.

Heard both of these reviews are pretty common. Good movie if you don't know the books. If you do...see Roland
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:33 pm
  • JustTheTip wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:Me too. I just lament it could have been this epic, Harry Potter-length saga that went on for decades, but for adults who like bad-ass things.

It still could be. Hopefully...

P.S., Read the books again. ;)

I am, for the 5th time. I started the first time through in 1985, so some long waits on that one (97 to 03 was particularly brutal.)

I disagree with you on Elba, at least based on the scenes in the trailer. He is just not what I see (ignoring race even) when I read the books. I think, though, he is a good fit for what they appear to be trying to do with the movie. And like I said, the way the series is written (and in particular how the last book ends) lends itself well to revisionist history. Who is to say what iteration the movies take place in. Would be interesting to see if Roland is carrying the Horn of Eld in the movie.

Well, I was correct about this. You could see the Horn of Eld sticking out of his pack through out the movie. And as it played no other role in the movie, I would have to say that is was there for the purpose of showing we aren't on the same turn of the wheel as the book.

Potential spoilers below this. Trying to keep it as vague as possible, but .....

I did not like the movie at all. McConaughey did okay as the Walter. Elba was awful as Roland (they took care of the race thing with the changes to the story, so that wasn't why he was awful.) The actor they cast for Jake was also awful. Though his role was limited, the actor they cast for Sayre was actually pretty good.

The changes to Roland's character (to the point of him saying he is not a gunslinger), Roland's story line (revenge driven) , the breaker story line, pictures of the tower with the beams but no mention of the beams (other than using the term beam quakes) but rather describe it as power emanating from the Tower. They give the first line of the Gunslinger book, but Walter doesn't even know Roland is in the desert let alone drawing him across it.

Oh, and the sound of Roland's guns was completely unacceptable.
    Last edited by JustTheTip on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:09 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:This very well may be the worst film adaptation based on preexisting written words in the history of cinema. Half of the film isn't even recognizable as being in The Dark Tower universe.

Goddamnit.

What would you say if someone has never read the books? Would someone with no preconceived notions of the story be entertained?
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:59 am
  • drcool wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:This very well may be the worst film adaptation based on preexisting written words in the history of cinema. Half of the film isn't even recognizable as being in The Dark Tower universe.

Goddamnit.

What would you say if someone has never read the books? Would someone with no preconceived notions of the story be entertained?

My wife read the books a few years ago and she was entertained. Even outside the dark tower specific issues I didn't think it was a good movie.
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:54 pm
  • Drcool - I'm too close to the book series to answer that question accurately, to be honest.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:27 pm
  • My understanding is that the movie is written in a post-book setting.

The thought was perhaps to do the books as prequel movies. Not a good idea.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:41 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:This very well may be the worst film adaptation based on preexisting written words in the history of cinema.

How hyperbolic.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:32 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:This very well may be the worst film adaptation based on preexisting written words in the history of cinema.

How hyperbolic.

No. It's nowhere near the worst film based on a book; read what I actually said. As a film supposedly based on a universe existing on paper, I cannot name one that has strayed further. I'm betting there are probably some out there, but this basically strays in damn near every way possible.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:36 pm
  • Having read the books, (and loved them), I was so looking forward to this becoming a movie.
    Now however,I am extremely disappointed in the casting, Elba is a good actor, but he is not Roland.
    Won't be watching another sellout like Under the Dome was.
    SEAHAWG
    NET Rookie

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:40 am
  • There are very few Stephen King books that have been adapted well to the screen. And the ones that are good aren't exactly faithful to the source material.

I'm just going to wait for Dark Tower to come out on BluRay before I see it. I am enjoying the books and that's good enough for me. I was excited when I first heard of the Dark Tower movie, but all the Trailers and interviews I read told me enough that it wasn't going to be the movie fans wanted.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:43 pm
  • Complete garbage (sorry, wait for $1.00 rental)
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:34 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:There are very few Stephen King books that have been adapted well to the screen.

This phenomenon is something I've thought about before. I don't know why so many of his adaptations are terrible. Do most Hollywood writers follow a commonly accepted methodology of converting a novel to the screen, and it just doesn't translate well for his story types/writing styles, or what?

There have been some pretty good ones, however; and one that is widely considered one of the greatest films ever made. (The Shawshank Redemption.)

The Green Mile, Misery, and Carrie are all pretty good.

How is it that movie studios throw billions at Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Twilight; yet, they won't pony up big dough for anything from King?

I have high hopes for It based on the trailer; time will tell, I plan to see it when it comes out while a friend of mine is visiting from Philly.

As far as The Dark Tower goes...if HBO picked that up and gave it the money and attention they gave Game of Thrones, it has GoT potential for popularity - and maybe even more. Ladies, if you thought you cried when ***GoT SPOILER*** Jon Snow died, you ain't seen nothin' yet.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:54 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:There are very few Stephen King books that have been adapted well to the screen.

This phenomenon is something I've thought about before. I don't know why so many of his adaptations are terrible. Do most Hollywood writers follow a commonly accepted methodology of converting a novel to the screen, and it just doesn't translate well for his story types/writing styles, or what?

There have been some pretty good ones, however; and one that is widely considered one of the greatest films ever made. (The Shawshank Redemption.)

The Green Mile, Misery, and Carrie are all pretty good.

How is it that movie studios throw billions at Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Twilight; yet, they won't pony up big dough for anything from King?

I have high hopes for It based on the trailer; time will tell, I plan to see it when it comes out while a friend of mine is visiting from Philly.

As far as The Dark Tower goes...if HBO picked that up and gave it the money and attention they gave Game of Thrones, it has GoT potential for popularity - and maybe even more. Ladies, if you thought you cried when ***GoT SPOILER*** Jon Snow died, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Yes there are definitely some great movies made from his stories, but I have no idea why the majority of them are so terrible. Why is it so hard to find a good director and stay true to what the fans love? It has been proven to work with other franchises and books, but for some reason King seems to not care. I don't know, maybe a lot of the fault lies on him for not being more picky about how the source material is handled. So many of the adaptations make me leave disappointed or downright angry. A true-to-book adaptation of Dark Tower with a Lord of the Rings or GOT level of execution would be incredible.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:18 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    The Green Mile, Misery, and Carrie are all pretty good..

What about Stand By Me, Pet Cemetery, 1408, The Shining, Cujo, Christine, Children of the Corn, The Lawnmower Man, and I hear the new It is suppose to be really good.

Also I think he helped on the screenplay for Hearts in Atlantis, which I enjoyed.

Certainly not all up the excellence of Carrie, Misery, Green Mile and Shawshank.........but still quality adaptions IMO.

I'm no King aficionado, but isn't his hit rate pretty high considering his body of work and quality of his books? I mean, they're not all brilliant works of literature. He's had a lot of stinkers.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:01 pm
  • I was only listing the top-shelf adaptations in my opinion, Largent. The Shining is terrible from an adaptation standpoint, but if viewed as an independent film, is pretty good. The rest you listed range from alright to good, but none of those are very good or higher, IMO.

Regarding the quality of his books; he's had a few stinkers, sure...but a LOT of stinkers? Care to elaborate? I definitely disagree with that generalization.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:43 pm
  • Well, some very interesting news regarding Stephen King dropped today. He's taking back the rights to some of his works, effective in about a year. I guess he's tired of crap-assed adaptations of his own works too, lol.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/topnews/34 ... r-stories/
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:24 pm
  • Haven't watch The Dark Tower yet, will wait for the Blu-Ray. When I saw the trailer and read about it, it seemed like they built-in an automatic cop-out if it didn't do well.

Just to add to other decent King adaptions: Silver Bullet, Firestarter, Maximum Overdrive, The Dead Zone.

EDIT:
    An easy one for them to do, but I don't believe ever has been made into a film, is The Long Walk.
    taz291819
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information