Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Dark Tower trailer

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 9:15 am


  • I have practically no familiarity with this IP at all, but everyone else is drooling about it so I checked it out.

    Interesting.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 15342
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 9:30 am
  • Oh yeah, that looks really cool. Roland will be peeing himself.

    I have read the books and have been waiting a long time for this.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 21478
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 9:39 am
  • Cool trailer for sure.

    I haven't read any of the books so I'm not familiar with the universe/characters/storyline, but the trailer seems like it just outlined/gave away the entire movie :141847_bnono:
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 9:43 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Roland will be peeing himself.

    How is that different from any other day?
    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9330
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 9:51 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Cool trailer for sure.

    I haven't read any of the books so I'm not familiar with the universe/characters/storyline, but the trailer seems like it just outlined/gave away the entire movie :141847_bnono:


    No, the preface in the books is what this is really showing, there is a whole lot of story and character back ground and several characters that trailer did not show.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 21478
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 10:35 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Cool trailer for sure.

    I haven't read any of the books so I'm not familiar with the universe/characters/storyline, but the trailer seems like it just outlined/gave away the entire movie :141847_bnono:


    No, the preface in the books is what this is really showing, there is a whole lot of story and character back ground and several characters that trailer did not show.


    So this movie won't primarily be about...

    - A kid who is having weird visions/enters another dimension where he meets the gunslinger
    - This other dimension and our worlds are linked, presumably through a Dark Tower
    - A man in black who is equal to or worse than the devil is trying to destroy the Dark Tower/bring chaos
    - The gunslinger and this boy become buddies and must rely on each other to survive/beat the man in black and save Earth, with a big twist being that their fates are linked (considering the man in black's line regarding the "did you tell the kid whoever walks with you dies by my hand?")
    - The tower is destroyed and chaos/demons/baddies comes to Earth

    ...? That's not what this movie will be about? I realize it's slotted to be a trilogy, so this will be the opening to a greater story, but that's not what this movie will be about? I guess I'll believe that when I see it.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 10:43 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Cool trailer for sure.

    I haven't read any of the books so I'm not familiar with the universe/characters/storyline, but the trailer seems like it just outlined/gave away the entire movie :141847_bnono:


    No, the preface in the books is what this is really showing, there is a whole lot of story and character back ground and several characters that trailer did not show.


    So this movie won't primarily be about...

    - A kid who is having weird visions/enters another dimension where he meets the gunslinger
    - This other dimension and our worlds are linked, presumably through a Dark Tower
    - A man in black who is equal to or worse than the devil is trying to destroy the Dark Tower/bring chaos
    - The gunslinger and this boy become buddies and must rely on each other to survive/beat the man in black and save Earth, with a big twist being that their fates are linked (considering the man in black's line regarding the "did you tell the kid whoever walks with you dies by my hand?")
    - The tower is destroyed and chaos/demons/baddies comes to Earth

    ...? That's not what this movie will be about? I realize it's slotted to be a trilogy, so this will be the opening to a greater story, but that's not what this movie will be about? I guess I'll believe that when I see it.


    No it's not. those are just bi lines, the real story is much more diverse and involves multi characters and timelines.

    Not a trilogy either

    The Gunslinger (1982)
    The Drawing of the Three (1987)
    The Waste Lands (1991)
    Wizard and Glass (1997)
    Wolves of the Calla (2003)
    Song of Susannah (2004)
    The Dark Tower (2004)
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 21478
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 10:50 am
  • Image
    User avatar
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1267
    Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:22 am


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 11:02 am
  • Good lord, I know it's a book series. The Dark Tower movie adaptation(s) is set to be a trilogy.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 11:15 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Good lord, I know it's a book series. The Dark Tower movie adaptation(s) is set to be a trilogy.


    Originally and then a couple TV made seasons or movies last time I heard, they were still messing with it, not sure if they have a final path as of yet.

    More reading on the background, this won't be a verbatim translation, they are doing a twist that if you read the books you know by the ending who and how they can change whatever and it makes sense.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 21478
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 11:31 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Good lord, I know it's a book series. The Dark Tower movie adaptation(s) is set to be a trilogy.


    Originally and then a couple TV made seasons or movies last time I heard, they were still messing with it, not sure if they have a final path as of yet.


    Gotcha. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see this movie. I just think it's too many plot points given away in one trailer, though I realize there's definitely more that's going to be in this movie and the potential sequels.

    It's a trend with most movies these days. Unless it's specified as a teaser, they usually pack too much into them for my liking because I want minimal spoilers, especially if I'm invested in the franchise/universe. I gave this a watch because it's the first trailer that's come out for The DT, as far as I know.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 11:54 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Good lord, I know it's a book series. The Dark Tower movie adaptation(s) is set to be a trilogy.


    Originally and then a couple TV made seasons or movies last time I heard, they were still messing with it, not sure if they have a final path as of yet.


    Gotcha. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see this movie. I just think it's too many plot points given away in one trailer, though I realize there's definitely more that's going to be in this movie and the potential sequels.

    It's a trend with most movies these days. Unless it's specified as a teaser, they usually pack too much into them for my liking because I want minimal spoilers, especially if I'm invested in the franchise/universe. I gave this a watch because it's the first trailer that's come out for The DT, as far as I know.


    It is, remember they have been trying o bring this to the big screen a few times, first time was around the time Clint Eastwood was doing The Unforgiven and were wanting to cast him in the role, then I heard later Sam Elliot in another attempt, after The Sacketts and Conagher. The shelved it again until this last attempt, as I said they are hedging how this is going to play out, Ron Howard is involved and wants to do a TV series reflecting to a timeline in the Gunslingers life, why the cross over from Film to series idea. But they want to see how the reception is for this first movie now I guess. As I said a lot still up in the air as far as how the story is going to be released.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 21478
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 5:16 pm
  • I've read the first three books, which were excellent, and own Wizard and Glass (haven't read it yet).

    But this trailer is throwing me for a loop, I'm not sure how I feel about it. This is obviously a mashup of multiple books, but some of it doesn't make sense. The tone of the trailer doesn't fit either, imo. While the trailer itself looks cool, if it didn't mention Stephen King, The Dark Tower name, Roland, etc., I'd have no clue this was based on the books.

    I'm hopeful for this film, but as we all know, Stephen King adaptions haven't had the best record.
    User avatar
    taz291819
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3585
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:16 pm
    Location: Huntsville, Al


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 5:43 pm
  • I'm optimistic, I like the cast and they spent a lot of time in pre-production trying to figure it out. Stephen King endorses it as well.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2967
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 6:44 pm
  • taz291819 wrote:I've read the first three books, which were excellent, and own Wizard and Glass (haven't read it yet).

    But this trailer is throwing me for a loop, I'm not sure how I feel about it. This is obviously a mashup of multiple books, but some of it doesn't make sense. The tone of the trailer doesn't fit either, imo. While the trailer itself looks cool, if it didn't mention Stephen King, The Dark Tower name, Roland, etc., I'd have no clue this was based on the books.

    I'm hopeful for this film, but as we all know, Stephen King adaptions haven't had the best record.


    You need to finish the books, once you do then my post above will make sense.

    More reading on the background, this won't be a verbatim translation, they are doing a twist that if you read the books you know by the ending who and how they can change whatever and it makes sense.


    Trying hard to be as vague as I can on this for the non book readers or those that have read a portion of the story.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 21478
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 9:24 pm
  • "For thousands of generations the gunslingers were knights sworn to protect us from the coming of the dark."

    :sarcasm_on: Really original, boys! :sarcasm_off:

    Giant 'meh' from me.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

    - Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3284
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 9:39 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:"For thousands of generations the gunslingers were knights sworn to protect us from the coming of the dark."

    :sarcasm_on: Really original, boys! :sarcasm_off:

    Giant 'meh' from me.


    If it's Meh don't watch it and move on and let others discuss it without your insightful posts. Remember that was originally written in the 1970's

    In fact most of Kings books cross reference one another many times if you have read a lot of them.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 21478
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 9:57 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:"For thousands of generations the gunslingers were knights sworn to protect us from the coming of the dark."

    :sarcasm_on: Really original, boys! :sarcasm_off:

    Giant 'meh' from me.


    If it's Meh don't watch it and move on and let others discuss it without your insightful posts. Remember that was originally written in the 1970's

    In fact most of Kings books cross reference one another many times if you have read a lot of them.


    The Gunslinger, the first novel in the series, was first pubished in 1982, five full years after this:

    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

    - Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3284
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 03, 2017 10:08 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:"For thousands of generations the gunslingers were knights sworn to protect us from the coming of the dark."

    :sarcasm_on: Really original, boys! :sarcasm_off:

    Giant 'meh' from me.


    If it's Meh don't watch it and move on and let others discuss it without your insightful posts. Remember that was originally written in the 1970's

    In fact most of Kings books cross reference one another many times if you have read a lot of them.


    The Gunslinger, the first novel in the series, was first pubished in 1982, five full years after this:




    That may be true but King had been working on it for years, I am sure there are influences from all over.

    Just like everything dark uses a version of this today in film.

    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 21478
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Thu May 04, 2017 2:02 am
  • I have read all the books. Great series, albeit a little weird from time to time. My thoughts:

    1. Matthew McConaughey as the Man in Black is awesome! His snide humor perfectly fits the bill, and I could instantly picture the "Walkin' Dude" in him the second he hit the screen. He's gonna be a great character no matter how McConaughey's acting pans out.

    2. Idris Elba is going to be a fantastic Gunslinger. He'll do the role perfectly. I recognized not only the lines, but the mannerisms in the clip. Problem is, I still can't see him as that character. It's like someone who isn't the Gunslinger is doing a completely astonishing impression of the Gunslinger. I don't know how they're going to do his relationship with 'Detta at all, but I'd guess that by the end of the movie, his acting will morph him into the real deal, and everyone's perception of what the Gunslinger looks like will be altered. Still don't like altering characters from the original that much, but I am excited to see what he does with it.

    3. Jake is far younger than he should be. The scene in New York is going to be hard to imagine with him so young. Maybe he ages? I dunno. I don't remember him starting out that young in the books, but maybe he did.

    4. No Odetta/'Detta/Savannah. That better just be that particular trailer. She's an awesome and complex character and shapes the entire plot of the series. I can't imagine that story without her. It just wouldn't work.

    JGfromtheNW wrote:The Dark Tower movie adaptation(s) is set to be a trilogy.


    How the hell does The Hobbit, a smallish, quick read get turned into three epic movies lasting approximately the duration of the last ice age, and this thick, multi-book, convoluted tale get only a trilogy? How in the hell is that supposed to work. This could (and should) be Harry Potter for Adults--a massive saga spanning years and years and many more movies. I have a feeling that if that's the way they continue with it, we'll get a visually stunning, magnificent sneak peek trailer of the books. And I'm not sure I'm okay with that.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 23314
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Thu May 04, 2017 5:09 am

Re: Dark Tower trailer
Thu May 04, 2017 7:36 am
  • This thread is weird without Roland. ;)
    Image

    There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 11025
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Thu May 04, 2017 11:29 am
  • I have mixed feelings about this. This movie is going to be VERY different than the books. Steven King and the director have already said this is not a direct adaptation of the books. King gave the writers and director freedom to use the source material to do a "re-telling" of sorts. So basically they started from scratch, took the characters and ideas they liked and then re-wrote the whole story.

    From the trailer I can already see this movie will be nothing like the Dark Tower books. Major/Main characters are completely cut from the story, as well as major themes and plots. If you've read the books, you can plainly tell that after a 2 minute trailer, and after a little research I found that is true.

    So while it will be cool to see some of the ideas on screen, this movie is giving me some mixed feelings because I really want to see the actual story and characters of the book and that's not what we're going to get. But hopefully it's a good movie anyway.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 16004
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Thu May 04, 2017 11:37 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    2. Idris Elba is going to be a fantastic Gunslinger. He'll do the role perfectly. I recognized not only the lines, but the mannerisms in the clip. Problem is, I still can't see him as that character. It's like someone who isn't the Gunslinger is doing a completely astonishing impression of the Gunslinger. I don't know how they're going to do his relationship with 'Detta at all, but I'd guess that by the end of the movie, his acting will morph him into the real deal, and everyone's perception of what the Gunslinger looks like will be altered. Still don't like altering characters from the original that much, but I am excited to see what he does with it.

    3. Jake is far younger than he should be. The scene in New York is going to be hard to imagine with him so young. Maybe he ages? I dunno. I don't remember him starting out that young in the books, but maybe he did.

    4. No Odetta/'Detta/Savannah. That better just be that particular trailer. She's an awesome and complex character and shapes the entire plot of the series. I can't imagine that story without her. It just wouldn't work.



    I will try to keep this vague for spoilers sake, but nope, Odetta is not in it. It was already confirmed by the director that they eliminated everyone else from the story entirely...which is part of what makes me nervous for this. The other characters are some of the best parts. Looks like Jake is the only character crossing over, and from the trailer it looks like he will simply be walking through a portal rather than how he crosses over originally.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 16004
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Thu May 04, 2017 11:56 am
  • In this portion of the movie, they took a few excerpts from different parts of the novels for this, not sure how many but then other core characters are slated to appear in forthcoming movies "if this takes off" . Also if you read the books this is not the exact adaption but lets say a viable portrayal of the story. I wish I could say more without spoilers for those not having read the books and those not completing them.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 21478
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Thu May 04, 2017 1:16 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:In this portion of the movie, they took a few excerpts from different parts of the novels for this, not sure how many but then other core characters are slated to appear in forthcoming movies "if this takes off" . Also if you read the books this is not the exact adaption but lets say a viable portrayal of the story. I wish I could say more without spoilers for those not having read the books and those not completing them.


    Someone explained it to me, without spoiling the rest of the books. "Cog". Now it makes sense.
    User avatar
    taz291819
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3585
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:16 pm
    Location: Huntsville, Al


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Thu May 04, 2017 8:36 pm
  • I wasn't happy about the casting of Elba as Roland. The dynamic between Odetta and Roland was so important to the story. Honestly, I wasn't going to bother with the movie. With what I saw in the trailer, I now think it is a good casting for what it appears they are trying to do. (still not anything Roland is in my head even ignoring the dynamic between Roland and Odetta.) It is also a story that lends itself to revisionist retelling (hell, look how it ends.) McConaughey in his role is something I am excited about (and I haven't like McConaughey in anything since Dazed and Confused.)
    I used to be Bitter.
    User avatar
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:38 pm


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Thu May 04, 2017 8:40 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:...? That's not what this movie will be about? I realize it's slotted to be a trilogy, so this will be the opening to a greater story, but that's not what this movie will be about? I guess I'll believe that when I see it.

    If you were capable of reading and not using Google Now to write posts for you by speaking, I'd suggest you read the books.

    JGfromtheNW wrote:Good lord, I know it's a book series. The Dark Tower movie adaptation(s) is set to be a trilogy.

    Nobody really knows for sure what it's going to be. They've said this and that for years, through several different studios, etc. What I suspect and HOPE this is, is a test of the waters to see if it's successful, and if it's very successful, then they'll do all the books LotR/Harry Potter-style. I pray that's their plan, anyways...We'll see.

    JGfromtheNW wrote:Gotcha. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see this movie. I just think it's too many plot points given away in one trailer, though I realize there's definitely more that's going to be in this movie and the potential sequels.

    It's a trend with most movies these days. Unless it's specified as a teaser, they usually pack too much into them for my liking because I want minimal spoilers, especially if I'm invested in the franchise/universe. I gave this a watch because it's the first trailer that's come out for The DT, as far as I know.

    The Dark Tower does not need gimmicks to add shock value to keep people into it. (Cough, Game of Thrones. Don't get me wrong, I love the TV show and the books are pretty good, but they are not great, IMO.) The Dark Tower is infinitely re-readable in good part because they don't rely on random pieces of shock and awe.

    taz291819 wrote:I've read the first three books, which were excellent, and own Wizard and Glass (haven't read it yet).

    But this trailer is throwing me for a loop, I'm not sure how I feel about it. This is obviously a mashup of multiple books, but some of it doesn't make sense. The tone of the trailer doesn't fit either, imo. While the trailer itself looks cool, if it didn't mention Stephen King, The Dark Tower name, Roland, etc., I'd have no clue this was based on the books.

    I'm hopeful for this film, but as we all know, Stephen King adaptions haven't had the best record.

    You are at the same point I was at in the tail end of junior high, lol. I had recently started reading Stephen King and a friend recommended The Dark Tower, and there were only three of them out at that time. I loved the first three, and we waited like a year for the fourth to come out. We had discussions in study hall about who could play each of the characters if they ever made them into films, haha. You definitely need to get back to readin', bro. Get caught up in time for the film's release this August. :) I'll get to the trailer at the end of my post.

    Maulbert wrote:"For thousands of generations the gunslingers were knights sworn to protect us from the coming of the dark."

    :sarcasm_on: Really original, boys! :sarcasm_off:

    Giant 'meh' from me.

    Well, that's also not an accurate depiction of the history of the gunslingers or their roles whatsoever, as far as the books are concerned.

    Maulbert wrote:The Gunslinger, the first novel in the series, was first pubished in 1982, five full years after this:

    The Gunslinger was originally published as a series of shorts starting in 1977. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_K ... ower_books
    Again, however, the trailer's reference to them is not accurate from the books. I'd suggest you actually read them before continuing further down the path of judgment. Despite your snarky attitude based on a trailer that isn't even based on any one of the books, The Dark Tower is actually quite original in a lot of ways.

    Seahawk Sailor wrote:3. Jake is far younger than he should be. The scene in New York is going to be hard to imagine with him so young. Maybe he ages? I dunno. I don't remember him starting out that young in the books, but maybe he did.

    4. No Odetta/'Detta/Savannah. That better just be that particular trailer. She's an awesome and complex character and shapes the entire plot of the series. I can't imagine that story without her. It just wouldn't work.

    Agree with you about the man in black. Also, I absolutely love Idris Elba, and his facial expressions REALLY seem like Roland in the trailer; but the fact that he's black is a serious head-scratcher regarding a certain story line in the second book, as you know. As for Jake; no, he's not too young. He was 11 in The Gunslinger and described as small for his age, being mistaken for younger than his years. For item #4, I hope you were typing that on your phone. Savannah? Try Susannah. :) I'm 99.9% sure Eddie and Susannah do not make an appearance in this film, but we'll see. Credits don't list them, anyways; yet list some book seven characters...

    Aros wrote:This thread is weird without Roland. ;)

    Haha; right? Been busy, and I knew it would take me time to become involved in this thread, so I kind of held off.

    HawkFan72 wrote:I have mixed feelings about this. This movie is going to be VERY different than the books. Steven King and the director have already said this is not a direct adaptation of the books. King gave the writers and director freedom to use the source material to do a "re-telling" of sorts. So basically they started from scratch, took the characters and ideas they liked and then re-wrote the whole story.

    From the trailer I can already see this movie will be nothing like the Dark Tower books. Major/Main characters are completely cut from the story, as well as major themes and plots. If you've read the books, you can plainly tell that after a 2 minute trailer, and after a little research I found that is true.

    So while it will be cool to see some of the ideas on screen, this movie is giving me some mixed feelings because I really want to see the actual story and characters of the book and that's not what we're going to get. But hopefully it's a good movie anyway.

    Yep, I reconciled myself to this like a year ago when details first started coming out and I knew it wouldn't be a film based on the first book. My hope, as stated above, is that it's to test the waters and see if they want to invest the billions it will take to do it the right way. I hope this film's wildly successful, and that Sony gets $$$ in their eyes and they go all "LotR/Harry Potter/Game of Thrones" on it. I'd KILL for that.

    JustTheTip wrote:I wasn't happy about the casting of Elba as Roland. The dynamic between Odetta and Roland was so important to the story. Honestly, I wasn't going to bother with the movie. With what I saw in the trailer, I now think it is a good casting for what it appears they are trying to do. (still not anything Roland is in my head even ignoring the dynamic between Roland and Odetta.) It is also a story that lends itself to revisionist retelling (hell, look how it ends.) McConaughey in his role is something I am excited about (and I haven't like McConaughey in anything since Dazed and Confused.)

    It's a tough problem to crack, but they could easily explain it as part of her delusions that she sees him as white. Either way, that whole thing's not getting tackled in this film.



    Ok, now for my own post rather than replies to people. I watched the trailer the morning it came out a couple of times, and again that night. I think the trailer is very well done, if expectations are in line that you're not expecting it to be based on the first book; and we're not supposed to expect that, they said many months ago that it won't be. For the 3rd time (repetition creates truth in politics and the media, so I'm hoping it'll do the same here), I hope and pray that this is an experiment to see if they want to invest the incredible amount of time and money it'll take to do all the books properly as they should be. I think the casting for the characters that are in the trailer is VERY well done at first glance; of course, this is just a trailer, so...have to take it with a grain of salt.

    So. Based on the trailer, I think the film will be successful, but that the fan base of the books will be divided. It's a bitter pill to swallow to spend most of your LIFE loving this story and hoping they eventually turn it into films that also don't suck, especially after watching the wild success with some other book series such as LotR, then to find out that they're making some odd amalgamation of stuff and not following the books at all. Luckily they warned the fans like a year ahead of time so it's not a shocking disappointment at the release of the trailer; I sort of knew to expect something unexpected, one might say.

    P.S., That shot he does looking the other way is some mystical stuff that is not in the books. He's an amazing shot in the books, but that comes through absurdly extensive training.

    P.P.S., JG, if you're worried about my earlier statement that there aren't exciting things that happen or that there's nothing that pulls the old "shock and awe," think again. It's just that most of it's in the 7th book, and boy, does it not disappoint in that regard.

    I'm ecstatic that this film is coming out, because of what I hope it leads to.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30686
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Sat May 06, 2017 12:45 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:3. Jake is far younger than he should be. The scene in New York is going to be hard to imagine with him so young. Maybe he ages? I dunno. I don't remember him starting out that young in the books, but maybe he did.

    4. No Odetta/'Detta/Savannah. That better just be that particular trailer. She's an awesome and complex character and shapes the entire plot of the series. I can't imagine that story without her. It just wouldn't work.

    Agree with you about the man in black. Also, I absolutely love Idris Elba, and his facial expressions REALLY seem like Roland in the trailer; but the fact that he's black is a serious head-scratcher regarding a certain story line in the second book, as you know. As for Jake; no, he's not too young. He was 11 in The Gunslinger and described as small for his age, being mistaken for younger than his years. For item #4, I hope you were typing that on your phone. Savannah? Try Susannah. :) I'm 99.9% sure Eddie and Susannah do not make an appearance in this film, but we'll see. Credits don't list them, anyways; yet list some book seven characters...

    Yeah, I love what Elba's doing, but yeah, it's a real head-scratcher. Most stories don't absolutely need a character to be a particular race, but in this one they do if they want the story to be anything like the original. It'd be like making Mr. Miagi some Irish dude in a remake of the Karate Kid movies. The kid wouldn't matter, but he would.

    I think I was confusing Eddie with Jake when I was talking about his age. Jake is the right age. And dammit, yes. Susannah. I was in a hurry getting out to work. That, and I haven't read the series eleventy-billion times like you.

    RolandDeschain wrote:I'm ecstatic that this film is coming out, because of what I hope it leads to.

    Me too. I just lament it could have been this epic, Harry Potter-length saga that went on for decades, but for adults who like bad-ass things.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 23314
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Sat May 06, 2017 8:14 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Me too. I just lament it could have been this epic, Harry Potter-length saga that went on for decades, but for adults who like bad-ass things.

    It still could be. Hopefully...

    P.S., Read the books again. ;)
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30686
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Sat May 06, 2017 11:21 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:Me too. I just lament it could have been this epic, Harry Potter-length saga that went on for decades, but for adults who like bad-ass things.

    It still could be. Hopefully...

    P.S., Read the books again. ;)


    I am, for the 5th time. I started the first time through in 1985, so some long waits on that one (97 to 03 was particularly brutal.)

    I disagree with you on Elba, at least based on the scenes in the trailer. He is just not what I see (ignoring race even) when I read the books. I think, though, he is a good fit for what they appear to be trying to do with the movie. And like I said, the way the series is written (and in particular how the last book ends) lends itself well to revisionist history. Who is to say what iteration the movies take place in. Would be interesting to see if Roland is carrying the Horn of Eld in the movie.
    I used to be Bitter.
    User avatar
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:38 pm


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Mon May 08, 2017 8:45 am
  • Reading about the new IT trailer and saw something particularly interesting:

    Apparently King's books (or the majority of them) all happen in the "shared universe" of the Dark Tower, thus the well hidden yet well displayed references to the Shining and IT in the Dark Tower trailer.

    Not a King reader. Is this obvious in his books?
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12187
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Mon May 08, 2017 9:12 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Not a King reader. Is this obvious in his books?

    Some way more than others; but yes. By far the one that is most closely tied to The Dark Tower universe is Insomnia.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30686
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Mon May 08, 2017 9:32 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Not a King reader. Is this obvious in his books?

    Some way more than others; but yes. By far the one that is most closely tied to The Dark Tower universe is Insomnia.

    Insomnia is not a good book. It's a good cure for its namesake, but not a good book. And I'd say that that The Talisman and The Black House are just as close, if not closer, to The Dark Tower.
    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9330
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Tue May 09, 2017 5:46 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Not a King reader. Is this obvious in his books?

    Some way more than others; but yes. By far the one that is most closely tied to The Dark Tower universe is Insomnia.


    That's kinda cool. I guess it makes sense when you write that many books. Did you see the Shining and IT references in the Dark Tower trailer? Is there connectivity between the stories (like the evil forces of the Shining and IT are somehow connected to the Dark Tower) or is it just a shout out?
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12187
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 24, 2017 3:19 am
  • I'm a big King fan, but sorry, I found the Dark Tower books on the whole to be a terrible slog to plough through, with just enough intermittent good bits to keep me reading the whole series. I'll never bother seeing any movies, or re-reading the books. They are actually the only King books I don't own, apart from "The Talisman".

    I also didn't like "Cell" or "Lisey's Story" and "Duma Key" wasn't much better, I thought. But I absolutely LOVED "Under the Dome". Only watched a few episodes of the TV series, and didn't much like them. Loved the TV miniseries of "The Stand" and "It" though. These are pretty much universally voted his best two books, at least on SKEMERs, a King email list I was active on for years in the 90s and early 00s.

    That was an amazing list - over 2,000 members, interestingly mostly female. In total contrast to Echoes, a Pink Floyd email list I was also on, which was utterly male-dominated. The woman who founded SKEMERs read, edited and replied to all posts, and there was at least 100K or more of text a day! They did cool things, too. Trips to Maine to tour SK sites, and a memorable Halloween weekend at the Stanley Hotel, where "The Shining" was filmed. They had a Masked Ball, a contest beforehand (the winner stayed in Room 237, where the rotting corpse of a woman was in the bath, in the book). Also played some sort of game in the middle of the night, in the Topiary, where all the hedge animals come to life in the book, and got told off for fiddling with the fire hoses in the hotel.

    Bizarrely, ALL swearing was banned on SKEMERs - you could not even write "hell"! You had to type "h-e-hockey-sticks"!

    Met a really cool woman from Columbus, Indiana on that list. She went to Chicago to a Rock Bottom Remainders concert. They were a band of various writers in which Stephen King played rhythm guitar (proceeds to charity) and she got him to sign a card for me, which I of course have to this day. But I can't bloody find the photo she took (many years before the "selfie" was invented) of him signing it, curse me double.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 240
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Wed May 24, 2017 5:08 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:I'm a big King fan, but sorry, I found the Dark Tower books on the whole to be a terrible slog to plough through, with just enough intermittent good bits to keep me reading the whole series. I'll never bother seeing any movies, or re-reading the books. They are actually the only King books I don't own, apart from "The Talisman".

    If that's what you think of The Dark Tower, don't try reading Game of Thrones, lol.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30686
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Thu May 25, 2017 12:15 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:I'm a big King fan, but sorry, I found the Dark Tower books on the whole to be a terrible slog to plough through, with just enough intermittent good bits to keep me reading the whole series. I'll never bother seeing any movies, or re-reading the books. They are actually the only King books I don't own, apart from "The Talisman".


    If that's what you think of The Dark Tower, don't try reading Game of Thrones, lol.


    I've read them, and indeed feel ambivalent about them, too. Some bits are beyond awesome for me, other parts like wading through half-set Araldite. Have only seen five episodes of the first season of the TV series, but haven't given up on it, and shall continue with the books as they come out, which seems like about when the sun goes nova.

    Briefly, in Game of Thrones, love Tyrion Lannister, and House Winterfell. "Winter is Coming" will always be my motto! Cersei and Joffrey are "awesome" in their sheer loathsomeness (if that is even a word). But I'm sorry, the Danaerys parts leave me particularly cold. Just goes on and on and on!

    In the Dark Tower books, I loved (I think it was Wizard and Glass?) the tragic romance between Roland and Susan, bits of Jake, Eddie and Odetta, Oy, and the "add-on" book "The Wind in the Keyhole" was great. But the final book was just purgatory to me, in particular. The multiple "Stephen Kings" was the most self-indulgent twaddle I've ever read. However, I realise SK has every right to be self indulgent, and it is only my opinion.

    When King got hit by that van and was terribly injured, the almost "selfish" fear of fans that the Dark Tower series would never be finished was incredible, and I completely realise my opinion is in the minority!

    Heck, one of my favourite films is "Zabriskie Point" and even most Pink Floyd fans despise it. Point being, I seem to have a habit of liking entertainment which isn't very popular, and being indifferent/disliking some stuff which is very popular. Each to his own, of course!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 240
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Thu May 25, 2017 12:29 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:But I'm sorry, the Danaerys parts leave me particularly cold. Just goes on and on and on!


    I dunno. They've showed parts of Danaerys that have left me particularly hot and excited. Can't be just me! :twisted:
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 23314
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Sat May 27, 2017 8:49 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:I'm a big King fan, but sorry, I found the Dark Tower books on the whole to be a terrible slog to plough through, with just enough intermittent good bits to keep me reading the whole series. I'll never bother seeing any movies, or re-reading the books. They are actually the only King books I don't own, apart from "The Talisman".


    If that's what you think of The Dark Tower, don't try reading Game of Thrones, lol.


    I've read them, and indeed feel ambivalent about them, too. Some bits are beyond awesome for me, other parts like wading through half-set Araldite. Have only seen five episodes of the first season of the TV series, but haven't given up on it, and shall continue with the books as they come out, which seems like about when the sun goes nova.

    Briefly, in Game of Thrones, love Tyrion Lannister, and House Winterfell. "Winter is Coming" will always be my motto! Cersei and Joffrey are "awesome" in their sheer loathsomeness (if that is even a word). But I'm sorry, the Danaerys parts leave me particularly cold. Just goes on and on and on!

    In the Dark Tower books, I loved (I think it was Wizard and Glass?) the tragic romance between Roland and Susan, bits of Jake, Eddie and Odetta, Oy, and the "add-on" book "The Wind in the Keyhole" was great. But the final book was just purgatory to me, in particular. The multiple "Stephen Kings" was the most self-indulgent twaddle I've ever read. However, I realise SK has every right to be self indulgent, and it is only my opinion.

    When King got hit by that van and was terribly injured, the almost "selfish" fear of fans that the Dark Tower series would never be finished was incredible, and I completely realise my opinion is in the minority!

    Heck, one of my favourite films is "Zabriskie Point" and even most Pink Floyd fans despise it. Point being, I seem to have a habit of liking entertainment which isn't very popular, and being indifferent/disliking some stuff which is very popular. Each to his own, of course!


    This was hard for me to get past as well. I like the story enough that I was able to accept it though.
    I used to be Bitter.
    User avatar
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:38 pm


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Sat May 27, 2017 10:27 am
  • I didn't like it initially, but he made himself out to be kind of a tool, so that mitigates it for me.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30686
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: Dark Tower trailer
Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:07 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    P.S., That shot he does looking the other way is some mystical stuff that is not in the books. He's an amazing shot in the books, but that comes through absurdly extensive training.



    Just finished reading again, and there is one description of a similar shot as he is dealing with the sneetches the Crimson King is throwing in the final confrontation.
    I used to be Bitter.
    User avatar
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:38 pm


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:20 am
  • JustTheTip wrote:Just finished reading again, and there is one description of a similar shot as he is dealing with the sneetches the Crimson King is throwing in the final confrontation.

    Where he's hitting them with his gun with his eyes closed? I don't think so...I'd have to go read that part again to be certain, though.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30686
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:34 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    JustTheTip wrote:Just finished reading again, and there is one description of a similar shot as he is dealing with the sneetches the Crimson King is throwing in the final confrontation.

    Where he's hitting them with his gun with his eyes closed? I don't think so...I'd have to go read that part again to be certain, though.


    Not with his eyes closed, but with out looking... and only one of them. Not exactly the same, more hinting at the ability. It is when he goes for the Rose:

    "Roland rolled to his left, grabbed his gun, and fired without looking. His heart told him there was no longer time to look. There was a shattering explosion, and the warm air that buffeted his face this time was like a hurricane."
    I used to be Bitter.
    User avatar
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:38 pm


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:23 pm
  • I guess it's halfway there; alright, fair enough. :)

    ...But the scene in the trailer's definitely not indicative of his abilities in the books. :)
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 30686
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Bothell, WA


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:55 pm
  • It seems very dark. Matthew M playing the antagonist is a new role for him.
    Can't Wait for October!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 200
    Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:18 pm
    Location: NFL Land


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:31 am
  • Idris Elba is my favorite actor so I am going to go see this no matter what, but I would actually disagree that this was a well done trailer; coming from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about the books. All I got out of this trailer was "Good guy with gun" and "bad guy with magic" and some strange kid in random shots. It wasn't very linear or descriptive about the story at all, just lots and lots of "oooo cool visual moments".
    “How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”

    - Henry David Thoreau
    User avatar
    bbsplitter
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 580
    Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:39 pm


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:22 pm
  • bbsplitter wrote:Idris Elba is my favorite actor so I am going to go see this no matter what, but I would actually disagree that this was a well done trailer; coming from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about the books. All I got out of this trailer was "Good guy with gun" and "bad guy with magic" and some strange kid in random shots. It wasn't very linear or descriptive about the story at all, just lots and lots of "oooo cool visual moments".


    The story itself is a little bit non-linear, so....
    I used to be Bitter.
    User avatar
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:38 pm


Re: Dark Tower trailer
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:29 am

Next


It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Msfann and 35 guests