Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Soundgarden's Chris Cornell dies at 52

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Soundgarden's Chris Cornell dies at 52
Thu May 18, 2017 12:17 am
  • Chris Cornell died nearly seven hours after tweeting that he was in Detroit for a Soundgarden performance, according to his representative.

Cornell was 52 and gained fame as the lead singer of Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, and later Audioslave.

In a statement to The Associated Press, Brian Bumbery says Cornell died Wednesday night in Detroit.

Bumbery called the death "sudden and unexpected" and said his wife and family were shocked by it. The statement said the family would be working closely with the medical examiner to determine the cause and asked for privacy.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Wow. No way
    "Whoever drafts Golden Tate is gonna win the Super Bowl" - Me
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

• Yes, just saw it. Damn, that really sucks.

Chris, you were the best front man of my generation, miss you man!
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

• Sigh another one gone from the better days of music...
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Damn. A very very sad day indeed. :(
    RIP CC.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• This news saddens me greatly...that's all I got right now.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• This sucks a lot. I was so sad when Layne Staley died, and now Chris Cornell is gone, too. Unreal. I keep hoping this is a hoax, but it's not.
    AAR - CJ Prosise RB/WR/??? - Notre Dame
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

• Suspected suicide...
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Wow. That sucks. :(
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Re: Soundgarden's Chris Cornell dies at 52
Thu May 18, 2017 10:21 am

• (CNN) — “In my time of dying, I want nobody to mourn

“All I want for you to do is take my body home”

Those are the opening lines to the last song Chris Cornell ever sang on stage. It was a cover of Led Zeppelin’s “In My Time of Dying.”

Cornell and his band Soundgarden have covered the song before and they did it again to close out the show at Detroit’s Fox Theater on Wednesday. Just hours later, Cornell was found dead. He was 52.

http://q13fox.com/2017/05/18/chris-corn ... -of-dying/
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Thu May 18, 2017 12:15 pm
  • This sickens me. I loved Soundgarden and they are officially done without Cornell at the helm. I would bet my own life that he was clinically depressed. So many great musicians are passing on. It sucks.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Thu May 18, 2017 12:21 pm
  • What a shock. As shocking as when I found out Robin Williams hung himself. Such an epic voice. All the most talented musicians and artists seem to be the most tortured Souls. So sad.

Say hello to Heaven brother. RIP.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu May 18, 2017 12:22 pm
  • God, please protect Eddie Vedder.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Love this. U2's "One" combined with Metallica's "One".
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Damn. I really looked up to this guy as a kid. RIP Chris.
    86Hawk
    NET Starter

• I'm not normally an emotional kind of guy, but listening to this on KISW this morning had me in freakin' tears.

Last edited by Grahamhawker on Thu May 18, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:Love this. U2's "One" combined with Metallica's "One".

I had never heard this. Thank you.

This man was a pillar of 90s alternative music. In my opinion, it was a truly great time for American music and he was a very important part of that.
    I was much younger when Kurt Cobain died. Not old enough to really appreciate the loss, but as was said earlier, good luck to Eddie Vedder. His death would hit the hardest for me.
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

• LargentFan wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Love this. U2's "One" combined with Metallica's "One".

I had never heard this. Thank you.

To hear him singing those lyrics was pretty powerful and haunting. Especially today.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• 4 octaves!
    Last edited by seahawkfreak on Sun May 21, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Adopt a rookie 2017-Delano Hall, S, Michigan

seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• Very sad day today. I don't usually get into things like this over famous people doing crazy famous people shit, but this one was different. They're almost all gone now.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• I can't recall being affected by the death of someone I had never met, but this one hits harder by the minute. Loved Soundgarden. Really liked Audioslave even though I was a little underwhelmed by it when it was all said and done. I really liked most of his solo stuff and it was Seasons off of the Singles soundtrack that really piqued my interest in him as a young high schooler. Where he really shined the most for me is when it was just him, a guitar, and that voice. Jesus that voice.

Thank you Chris, and for those of you who haven't heard this, you're welcome.

Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• The family is currently disputing that he was suicidal. It turns out his wife said when she talked to him after the Detroit show he was slurring his words and said he may have taken "an extra Ativan or two" and was slurring his words.

http://komonews.com/news/local/family-o ... 05-19-2017

Well, looking up the (potential major) side effects of Ativan I found:

thoughts or attempts at killing oneself

Especially if he unintentionally overdosed, I can see how he could have been afflicted with some very bad side effects, with suicidal thoughts or attempts clearly being the worst. I used to take Ativan to help with anxiety but I never, ever took more than what was prescribed. IF he did in fact take 1 or 2 more, who's to say it was the real reason he did what he did?

Either way, it's all so very sad and the only good that could come out of this (if an Ativan overdose is in fact the primary cause) is to shed more light on the very real dangers of the side effects of common prescription medicines used by millions every day.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Seahwkgal wrote:This sickens me. I loved Soundgarden and they are officially done without Cornell at the helm. I would bet my own life that he was clinically depressed. So many great musicians are passing on. It sucks.

Some family members believe Chris was taking Ativan, of which side effects can be depression and suicidal thoughts.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/05/ ... d-himself/

Not sure how many more prescription drug deaths we need to absorb as a society before we start taking a long hard look at the drug companies and medical community gross negligence when it comes to how fast and loose they prescribe and use this crap as cure all's.

As far as Cornell goes, I won't lie, this one hit me pretty damn hard yesterday. He is our generation's rock icon/god, and IMO he belongs on the Mount Rushmore of rock frontmen with Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury. It's that short of a list for me.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri May 19, 2017 11:45 am
  • Scary to think they are prescribing crap like this when some of the main side effects are self-harm and suicide. I've heard a few stories from friends who have had relatives on Ativan about them having really bad lows and suicidal thoughts. His death makes a little more sense now, even though it's not 'official' until the tox reports come back. I wouldn't believe he'd take his own life cognizantly while on the road in some random hotel in Detroit without leaving so much as a note to his family.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri May 19, 2017 12:19 pm
  • Michael Jackson, Prince, Chris Cornell all from prescribed medications, think about it . That's a lot of talent dead because of medical side effects and or allowing self moderation of a deadly drug which causes aspects of decreased or altered brain function.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I didnt like grunge music when it leaped on to the public stage as it killed off most rock music back in the day ( late 80's and early 90's), but you could tell Chris was special. His voice was so different. Listening to the songs he sang now just feels strange. He had such a powerful voice and carried the music along with him. It was still dark, deeper and more cynical than what I prefer in rock music, but to not acknowledge his status as one of the best male singers in rock history seems crazy to me. It's ironic that most of the Seattle based lead singers of the "grunge area" have taken their own lives. Seattle was such a different place when they were in the formative years, most of the posters responding to this thread were probably not alive in the early 80's to early 90's and have no idea what it was like in the dump that was downtown Seattle.
    irocdave
    NET Veteran

• TriCHawk wrote:This sucks a lot. I was so sad when Layne Staley died, and now Chris Cornell is gone, too. Unreal. I keep hoping this is a hoax, but it's not.

Chris and Layne were the top vocalists of their genre / time IMO. It's really sad that they're both gone.

RIP Chris.
    "Our Quarterback is a Bad Man!" - Michael Robinson
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

• Foghawk wrote:
    TriCHawk wrote:This sucks a lot. I was so sad when Layne Staley died, and now Chris Cornell is gone, too. Unreal. I keep hoping this is a hoax, but it's not.

Chris and Layne were the top vocalists of their genre / time IMO. It's really sad that they're both gone.

RIP Chris.

Kurt as well. Fantastic and underrated vocalist, powerful songwriter. It's hard losing guys like this, especially young.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• I posted this in another thread but think it's worth posting here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chr ... mg00000003

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• That voice... God damnit!!!

"Well, he's what you call 'on the bubble' with Porky-pine pants". Steve Largent, when he used to do color for Seahawks Pre-Season games...

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Aros wrote:I posted this in another thread but think it's worth posting here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chr ... mg00000003

That's a good read Todd, thank you.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• He was an amazing talent. I will miss him. I am angry with him at the same time. He talked of being in recovery from pills and alcohol since 2002.
    People in recovery from pills especially know that taking Benzos doesn't cure anxiety. He was off the proverbial wagon. Suicide is selfish. Addiction is secretive.
    Shaq Griffin: 2017 Adopt a Rookie (injury substitution)
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Atradees wrote:He was an amazing talent. I will miss him. I am angry with him at the same time. He talked of being in recovery from pills and alcohol since 2002.
    People in recovery from pills especially know that taking Benzos doesn't cure anxiety. He was off the proverbial wagon. Suicide is selfish. Addiction is secretive.

Worked at a Pharmacy as a manager for a few years and if there was one prescription that hell was to be raised if the script was wrong or anyone messed up on it was a Benzos prescription. I mean people would get pissed at other screw ups on other drugs and most of the time it was on the prescriber and we were just the messengers. Most times the issue could be settled for better of worse but God forbid if there was an error on a Benzos. Got scary at times.
    Adopt a rookie 2017-Delano Hall, S, Michigan

seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• Depression is such a MONSTER. I think everyone at some point has had it. Some people can fight it and move on. Some people cannot. Chris was obviously one in the latter. I am blessed and fortunate to have been able to survive some messed up crap in my life. I really pray for those who cannot overcome it. RIP Chris. It is so sad that he could not overcome depression. He was a great artist and seemed like a great person too.

Prince-I just want to pipe in about him for a second. He was not depressed but died from a prescription to kill pain. He already had one hip replacement and was in need of another one on the other hip. However, because of his stupid religion, he chose to endure the pain and deal with it by using a prescribed Fentanyl patch. Those damned things are very dangerous. How crazy is a religion that will not allow blood transfusions via surgeries but allows prescribed drugs like Fentanyl? I will hate the Jehovah Witness religion for the rest of my life because of this crap. Damn.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• irocdave wrote:I didnt like grunge music when it leaped on to the public stage as it killed off most rock music back in the day ( late 80's and early 90's).

Yeah it killed off terrible buttrock hair metal.

It took bands like Soundgarden, Nirvana and Pearl Jam to turn the music industry upside down and shake out the horrible vapid crap that was going on.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• This one sucked....

I went from being numb about it, to pretty upset. Cornell and Soundgarden were special to me, just iconic, I really had 'em up on a pedestal.

Started when I saw them at Lollapalooza 1992, Kitsap County Fairgrounds. I was blown away by the performance, just in awe. In stuck with me, here we are 25 years later, and I kinda still measure live shows to that. For whatever reason, that moment, that performance, it resonated with me. That was as good as it gets, that what a rock star was, is.

And its gone now. Kurt's gone, Layne, now Chris. One of my favorites from that time, Screaming Trees, they'll never play together again, all thats left is Pearl Jam.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Toxicology report is in. Although they say the cocktail in his system did not cause his death, I believe they mean that particular cocktail/dosage isn't enough to be fatal but that doesn't say that particular cocktail couldn't cause him to go out of his mind just long enough to do what he did. I believe this particular cocktail in his system did in fact alter his brain chemistry enough to cause him severe suicidal thoughts long enough to physically act on them.

Toxicology tests showed the presence of barbiturates, caffeine and lorazepam, also known as Ativan, for relief of anxiety. The report also lists naloxone, an anti-opioid drug, and a decongestant.

"These drugs did not contribute to the cause of death," Brown said.

http://komonews.com/news/local/autopsy- ... ause-death

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:24 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information