Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

May 25th, 1977: Today is the 40th anniversary of Star Wars.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I was born 2 months after the release of Return of the Jedi, so I didn't get to see the original trilogy in theaters as it should have been, but I wore out multiple VHS copies of these movies growing up. Star Wars was my first nerd love, and I wouldn't be myself today without them. So happy birthday to Star Wars, the most influential, and one of the most important, films of the last 50 years.

"Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:I was born 2 months after the release of Return of the Jedi, so I didn't get to see the original trilogy in theaters as it should have been, but I wore out multiple VHS copies of these movies growing up. Star Wars was my first nerd love, and I wouldn't be myself today without them. So happy birthday to Star Wars, the most influential, and one of the most important, films of the last 50 years.

Mom and dad let me watch it at the theater in town. I loved it so much they got a color poster so I could color it in. Ma has a pair of R2D2 and C3P0 necklace we got her back in the day.

I spent a LOT of money going and staying in Reno to watch Return of the jedi 5 times for 5 weekend straight. I have it on VCR still and on DVD.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Not a "Star Wars Fan boy" but the original Star Wars was epic at the time.
    I remember my folks talking my 8 year old self and my 2 younger brothers to the Aurora Drive In, in North Seattle (Now Sam's club). I remember listening to Niehaus and the Mariner game on the car radio before the movie started.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Here's how big that movie was at the time.

When it first came out, there were lines clear around theaters and down the block just for tickets. This lasted literally *months*. During this time I graduated high school, joined the Navy, went through boot camp, and went through Basic Electricity/Electronics training ("BEEP school"). Went on leave twice, met my future and present wife. Still long lines for tickets. I was back home for Thanksgiving 1977 after finishing BEEP school. Finally, the lines were short enough for me to take her on a date to see Star Wars for the first time, and was blown away from the first scene where the spaceship is transiting right-to-left on the screen with the exquisite and intricate detailing, and the bass sound effects.

About 6 months later there was renewed interest (and I was back home again after Electronics Technician A school), and the around-the-block-and-down-the-street lines for tickets returned. It stayed that way for much of 1978. After the lines died back down later in 1978, we went back and saw the movie again (in Orlando, where I was attending Nuclear Power school) probably half a dozen times. We weren't at all unusual in that regard.

That's how big Star Wars was when it first came out.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:Here's how big that movie was at the time.

When it first came out, there were lines clear around theaters and down the block just for tickets. This lasted literally *months*. During this time I graduated high school, joined the Navy, went through boot camp, and went through Basic Electricity/Electronics training ("BEEP school"). Went on leave twice, met my future and present wife. Still long lines for tickets. I was back home for Thanksgiving 1977 after finishing BEEP school. Finally, the lines were short enough for me to take her on a date to see Star Wars for the first time, and was blown away from the first scene where the spaceship is transiting right-to-left on the screen with the exquisite and intricate detailing, and the bass sound effects.

About 6 months later there was renewed interest (and I was back home again after Electronics Technician A school), and the around-the-block-and-down-the-street lines for tickets returned. It stayed that way for much of 1978. After the lines died back down later in 1978, we went back and saw the movie again (in Orlando, where I was attending Nuclear Power school) probably half a dozen times. We weren't at all unusual in that regard.

That's how big Star Wars was when it first came out.

A question....as the movie was kinda fantastic in its standard depiction, what do you think about the enhancements? Pm If you think this is the wrong question for this forum.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• First, I don't know why that would be the wrong question for this forum, as we're all just sitting around the lounge shooting the breeze. Second, maybe that's because I haven't seen the original with any of these enhancements. What got changed? I will say that the director's cut of Bladerunner and the long versions of all the Lord of the Rings movies were way better than the theatrical releases.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:First, I don't know why that would be the wrong question for this forum, as we're all just sitting around the lounge shooting the breeze. Second, maybe that's because I haven't seen the original with any of these enhancements. What got changed? I will say that the director's cut of Bladerunner and the long versions of all the Lord of the Rings movies were way better than the theatrical releases.

Three scenes come to mind....the intro where they go into Mos Eisley...they have more creatures and more things going on with droids. Second scene is the one with "look sir, droids" has some beasts of burden that were not in the original. Third is the enhanced version of greedo being pulverized. Heck..when alderaan got smacked down, there was no ring blast, there was only destruction explosion. And then there was no unemployment on alderaan. The bar scene is much different with a singer that was not in the original. But that was 3 plus more that come to mind. When Solo gets to his ship....the biggo ugly snake(Jabba the Hutt) is there and has a discussion with him about his finances....
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Okay, well that sounds a bit like some extra things added just because they could (not something I necessarily oppose), and one LOTR-type enhancement where something that 'just happened' in the original (Jabba the Hut is PO'd at Solo in The Empire Strikes Back, which seems to be a theme in the originals) gets some back-story added. Which is a good enhancement. So, I probably would enjoy seeing the new versions.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:Okay, well that sounds a bit like some extra things added just because they could (not something I necessarily oppose), and one LOTR-type enhancement where something that 'just happened' in the original (Jabba the Hut is PO'd at Solo in The Empire Strikes Back, which seems to be a theme in the originals) gets some back-story added. Which is a good enhancement. So, I probably would enjoy seeing the new versions.

If you haven't been ruined by the 'Special Editions', don't. Just don't. Lucas done @#$&ed up.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information