Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Any Jeep Peeps here?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Any Jeep Peeps here?
Sat May 27, 2017 6:06 pm
  • Well I finally did it.

After driving my Hummer H3 for 7 years and putting 185,000 miles on it (had 40k when I bought it), I traded it in on a Jeep.
    I actually wanted a Jeep when I bought the Hummer but the deal was to good to pass up,at the time.

Any way, any Jeep folks around these parts?

I used most of my cash on the purchase so won't be making any big upgrades for a while but I do have plans for a lift, tires/wheels, bumpers, tire carrier, and winch.

I do about 90/10 ratio of on road verses off, so not looking to go extreme with any of it.
    Mainly want a better look/stance with a fair increase in off road performance.

Out with the old.

In with the new.

Edit:
    I will say this, the Hummer was a great rig.
    I got much more out of it than I expected.
    I kept up with the maintenance stuff.
    Tires, breaks, shocks.
    With almost 225k on it, the only major repairs were AC compressor (I did complete system though), and an exhaust manifold.
    Not bad IMHO.
    I pray this Jeep holds up as well.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: Any Jeep Peeps here?
Sat May 27, 2017 7:18 pm
  • Had an 82 CJ 7

Have a 95 Grand Cherokee.

Always fun. Always work to be done.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat May 27, 2017 7:59 pm
  • First thing you need to do is get rid of the BFG's IMO :lol:

I would peruse the many Jeep forums out there, I'm sure they exist, for as much info / feedback on suspension options as possible. I have an Icon set-up on my FJ and am really happy with it, they are well known in the Yota world. Not sure if they have any Jeep set-ups but their stuff is high quality so might be worth checking them out. I haven't owned a Jeep since the 90's so I'm really not much help.

Enjoy the new rig!
    "Our Quarterback is a Bad Man!" - Michael Robinson
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

Any Jeep Peeps here?
Sat May 27, 2017 8:37 pm
  • Foghawk wrote:First thing you need to do is get rid of the BFG's IMO :lol:

I would peruse the many Jeep forums out there, I'm sure they exist, for as much info / feedback on suspension options as possible. I have an Icon set-up on my FJ and am really happy with it, they are well known in the Yota world. Not sure if they have any Jeep set-ups but their stuff is high quality so might be worth checking them out. I haven't owned a Jeep since the 90's so I'm really not much help.

Enjoy the new rig!

I hope to do tires and lift soon enough that I'll be able to sell the stock tires/wheels as almost new take offs.
    If not I'll just run those BFGs till they wear out. I don't plan on any "wheeling" any time real soon.
    And yes, there's a butt load of Jeep boards, I'm a member of a couple, have been for minute or two.

Wasn't really looking for help here as much as I'm looking for general conversation and fellowship.

Speaking of FJs, I saw this one here in Texas a while back. I tried hard to meet the owner but couldn't wait any longer. Was at a funeral and we had mutual friend that passed but I didn't know him.
    ImageImageImage
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat May 27, 2017 10:00 pm
  • They got the team right. :2thumbs: Need to get some rims and better rubber on that rig though. I really like the Duratrac tire on mine, good all around tire for the smaller SUV's IMO. Don't think I'd ever run them on my 2500 though, always been Toyo MT's on it.

I have an uncle with two Rubies, he's dropped an additional 50k plus each in them. Goes with a group up to Moab every year to run up the rocks. The vids he's showed me look fun, but take one wrong line and your bank account just got a lot lighter in repairs.

Been seriously considering getting this bumper / guard for mine, I like the look. Mine is similar to this less the bumper.

Foghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 29, 2017 2:18 pm
  • Sweet Rubi. Here's mine. Its actually clean for once. Expensive but fun hobby. Lift, wheels and tires are coming shortly. Can't wait!

20170529_142835_resized-1.jpg
    20170529_142835_resized-1.jpg (208.96 KiB) Viewed 342 times

20170529_142750_resized-1.jpg
    20170529_142750_resized-1.jpg (215.8 KiB) Viewed 342 times

20170529_142902_resized.jpg
    20170529_142902_resized.jpg (195.99 KiB) Viewed 342 times
    86Hawk
    NET Starter

Mon May 29, 2017 2:29 pm
  • For the jk jeep teraflex and aev make amazing lifts, but they are expensive. I have the aev 3.5 inch dualsport lift, and a warn zeon winch, just haven't installed them yet. And for the tire carrier I went with the teraflex hinged carrier and I absolutely love it so far.
    86Hawk
    NET Starter

Mon May 29, 2017 5:34 pm
  • Ive got the infamous Death Wobble in my 95 Grand Cherokee.. thoughts?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon May 29, 2017 6:03 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Ive got the infamous Death Wobble in my 95 Grand Cherokee.. thoughts?

It depends on your setup. If you're lifted it could be a number of things. Start with the steering stabilizer. It might need a drop pitman arm and check your upper and lower control arms. Also might need new ball joints.

I've never worked on an old zj before but that's what I would try.

Edit: also look at getting an adjustable track bar.
    86Hawk
    NET Starter

Mon May 29, 2017 6:50 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Ive got the infamous Death Wobble in my 95 Grand Cherokee.. thoughts?

The advise below your post is good IMO.

The steering stabilizer is the fix, as long as you don't have other issues.

If you do have "other" problems, they need to be addressed because your safety becomes an issue.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Any Jeep Peeps here?
Mon May 29, 2017 7:03 pm
  • 86Hawk wrote:Sweet Rubi. Here's mine. Its actually clean for once. Expensive but fun hobby. Lift, wheels and tires are coming shortly. Can't wait!

20170529_142835_resized-1.jpg

20170529_142750_resized-1.jpg

20170529_142902_resized.jpg

Nice.
    I assume it's a "hard rock".

I went to the dealership to look at one they had advertised online, great price but I think it was the ole "bait switch" ad.

Either way, don't matter to me, I'm happy and got a fair deal. The wife is happy as well. She wanted the top and fenders to match the body ( not black).

I wanted the 4.10 gears that come with the Hard rock/Recon but the reality is, by the time I'm ready to go "hard core", the Dana 44s won't be good enough anyway.

For the next few years mine won't see anything near "extreme" in off road terms.

I'll do some beach riding and mild trails but that's the most of it. This will still be my daily driver. 90% highway.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon May 29, 2017 7:06 pm
  • No lift. I did just change the pump and reservoir today. Had to remove the pulley. First bump I hit the left front goes into the wobble. It wasn't the first time but certainly the worst.

I'll try the track bar to start.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Any Jeep Peeps here?
Mon May 29, 2017 7:26 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:No lift. I did just change the pump and reservoir today. Had to remove the pulley. First bump I hit the left front goes into the wobble. It wasn't the first time but certainly the worst.

I'll try the track bar to start.

Do you have anything that looks like this?

Is your wobble a new problem?

Did you recently put bigger tires on it?

Fact is, there are many things that can cause the problem but it's usually a combination of more than one.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon May 29, 2017 7:44 pm
  • I just bought the Jeep a couple months ago. (I just wanted a jeep again) Wobble is not new, however. Felt it 3/4 times to varying degree. Most jeep forums say track bar then ball joints.. unless you have a lift. Stabilizers only mask the issue.

But open to any ideas. Track bars and stabalizers are both cheap and seem fairly simple to do.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Any Jeep Peeps here?
Tue May 30, 2017 6:57 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I just bought the Jeep a couple months ago. (I just wanted a jeep again) Wobble is not new, however. Felt it 3/4 times to varying degree. Most jeep forums say track bar then ball joints.. unless you have a lift. Stabilizers only mask the issue.

But open to any ideas. Track bars and stabalizers are both cheap and seem fairly simple to do.

Stabilizers will mask the problem to a point if you have the other issues.

They will also help prevent those other problems from occurring if all your parts are correct and in good working order.

On your rig it's very likely (due to age) that you have multiple parts that are worn.
    My advise is to track down and replace the worn parts, then put a stabilizer on.
    The stabilizer will help prevent the new parts from wearing out because it takes stress off of them.

You haven't said if your rig is lifted or how big your tires are but there is a good chance that if it is lifted, whoever did it, didn't ensure that the geometry of all steering parts remained correct. Very common issue with lifts done on the cheap.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue May 30, 2017 10:30 am
  • Thanks Lon.

I thought I put in a post it is not lifted. I'd have to double check but I think they are 30". If there is any lift its just a small one. The guy who owned it was constantly tinkering with it, however.

I am going to go track bar first. Im hoping I can add the stabilizer as well..if its not out of my very limited grasp of working on cars... i did make it through the steering box replacement with only one extra bolt!
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue May 30, 2017 12:55 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:I'll do some beach riding and mild trails but that's the most of it. This will still be my daily driver. 90% highway.

Just my humble opinion, but if this is true, I wouldn't bother with any lifts, wheels/tires, suspension, bumpers, winches, etc. Your rig is plenty capable of doing mild trails and beach riding as it sits. I don't think most people realize how capable these rigs are straight from the factory. Jeep built these to go off road.

But I get it. Part of the fun of owning a Jeep is all the upgrades, add-ons, and tinkering.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue May 30, 2017 1:33 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:I'll do some beach riding and mild trails but that's the most of it. This will still be my daily driver. 90% highway.

Just my humble opinion, but if this is true, I wouldn't bother with any lifts, wheels/tires, suspension, bumpers, winches, etc. Your rig is plenty capable of doing mild trails and beach riding as it sits. I don't think most people realize how capable these rigs are straight from the factory. Jeep built these to go off road.

But I get it. Part of the fun of owning a Jeep is all the upgrades, add-ons, and tinkering.

I get it, and do understand your first point.

I'm a lot closer to the guy in your 2nd point.
    I like doing the upgrades and it's a hobby for me.
    It's been a few years since I sold my last one but I've built several Suzuki Samurais for strictly off road use. In fact was way too into them for many years. It was an obsession of sorts.
    I'm holding onto hope that the price tag on the new Jeep will keep me grounded but I'm that guy that can't seem to leave well enough alone.
    Would be a whole lot cheaper and safer to leave it "stock" but that's just not an option in my head.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue May 30, 2017 2:40 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:I'll do some beach riding and mild trails but that's the most of it. This will still be my daily driver. 90% highway.

I get it, and do understand your first point.

I'm a lot closer to the guy in your 2nd point.
    I like doing the upgrades and it's a hobby for me.
    It's been a few years since I sold my last one but I've built several Suzuki Samurais for strictly off road use. In fact was way too into them for many years. It was an obsession of sorts.
    I'm holding onto hope that the price tag on the new Jeep will keep me grounded but I'm that guy that can't seem to leave well enough alone.
    Would be a whole lot cheaper and safer to leave it "stock" but that's just not an option in my head.

A friend has 2 Jeeps, one his that we use for working trees in the mountains so we can cut them up for wood and also hunting, and the other was his dads (RIP a few years ago). He has a winch on it and we have put a small bed on the back for hauling out elk if it works for us. We go everywhere in it. Jeep number 2 has been around the mountains where we hunt a lot too. Some of the trails we used to hunt on but are now closed to us are there because the gentleman made them. Texans bought the property and said they would keep it open and then closed it. Hmph.

Another friend has a Cherokee that he apparently sold to his uncle or other relative. Needs a bit of work on the wiring for a trailer hookup and a bit of other minor work. Has an automatic for transmission. It does drive ok. I borrowed it one time.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed May 31, 2017 7:04 pm
  • Used to have a YJ before it was stolen in 2007...still not been found to this day. Have a '99 Cherokee now that does 250 miles worth of daily driver duty during the week and goes everywhere else on the weekends. Looking forward to lots of trails and camping trips this summer.

189,000 miles and still going strong.

253hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 31, 2017 7:45 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:Used to have a YJ before it was stolen in 2007...still not been found to this day. Have a '99 Cherokee now that does 250 miles worth of daily driver duty during the week and goes everywhere else on the weekends. Looking forward to lots of trails and camping trips this summer.

189,000 miles and still going strong.

I like the looks of your rig. what's pushing it, 6 or 8?

I don't like the BFG's though. :D You guys and your BFG's are killing me.
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 31, 2017 8:15 pm
  • Thanks, it's almost done. Stock 4.0 inline-6, but the axles are re-geared to 4.56 so it's pretty close to factory performance in 2Hi. Upgraded the injectors, did a cowl intake, and put in a Banks header since the factory one was cracked (as they all eventually do).

I've put about 17,000 miles on the KM2s and they're only down about 1/6". The only knock on them is they don't do so hot in packed snow and ice, but not many mud tires do. I was considering getting some Duratracs as daily tires and for the winter, (saving the BFGs for summer and off-road trips) but ended up selling my other rims before I got around to it.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:47 am
  • Had a 2011 and 2012 JKU sport, and a 2014 JKU Rubicon.

Added an LoD front bumper with a warn M-8000, ARB onboard air under the hood, used heavier springs up front to level the rig (and take the weight of the steel up front), had 10" Rigid light bar up front and an SRA in the back.

Added Goodyear Duratrac 285s and gained some width in stance.

I actually have some parts left if you need them....Yakima rail and cross bars, under seat locking storage, Rubicon rock rails, H4 headlight system.

Loved the thing, sold it because it started leaking water, just like the 2012 I made Chrysler buy back under the lemon law because it leaked water.

In fact, this is my former Jeep for sale: http://www.subaruofpuyallup.com/used/Je ... Depth=9:15
    ChiefHawk
    NET Starter

Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:18 am
  • ChiefHawk wrote:Had a 2011 and 2012 JKU sport, and a 2014 JKU Rubicon.

Added an LoD front bumper with a warn M-8000, ARB onboard air under the hood, used heavier springs up front to level the rig (and take the weight of the steel up front), had 10" Rigid light bar up front and an SRA in the back.

Added Goodyear Duratrac 285s and gained some width in stance.

I actually have some parts left if you need them....Yakima rail and cross bars, under seat locking storage, Rubicon rock rails, H4 headlight system.

Loved the thing, sold it because it started leaking water, just like the 2012 I made Chrysler buy back under the lemon law because it leaked water.

In fact, this is my former Jeep for sale: http://www.subaruofpuyallup.com/used/Je ... Depth=9:15

Are you sure that you didnt just scare the piss out of it...???? :stirthepot:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:03 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information