Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Paul Allen has a new toy....

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:18 pm
  • ....or so it appears

Maybe some of our airplane "in the knows" can give us some technical insight.

That bird looks to be huge.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: Paul Allen has a new toy....
Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:40 pm
  • That doesn't seem possible? two cockpits? 6 engines?

Intriguing.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:49 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:That doesn't seem possible? two cockpits? 6 engines?

Intriguing.

Eerily similar to the Spruce Goose story (well kinda)

Many said that wasn't possible:{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:53 pm
  • longer than a football field.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:55 pm
  • Hell, zoom in on the tires/wheels

pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:55 pm
  • ImageImage
    Stratolaunch web site >> http://stratolaunch.com/Image"Dubbed the "Stratolaunch," the all-composite plane is designed not to carry passengers but rather to launch rockets that will carry sateillites into space. The idea is to make access to space more convenient, reliable, and routine by normalizing access to low Earth orbit through a reusable platform."

Link >>> http://komonews.com/news/local/paul-allen-unveils-massive-aircraft-billed-as-worlds-largest-plane

Better access to orbit is where a lot of engineering focus resides ........ there are a number of methods/approaches. Allen's approach makes good use of existing technologies.

Nation state competition focus on more in the way of pioneering technology. Boeing was recently awarded the DARPA contract for a hypersonic plane. Image

Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:20 pm
  • With modern avionics, fly-by-wire systems, and control technology, this 'basically stable' design is a piece of cake. Looks like 2 cockpits, I'd guess they are redundant. Might use only one pilot per side, if I were designing it there would be separate power and control systems for reliability. But then again I'm a nuclear engineer and we do everything like that. I've actually wondered for years why we weren't working on air-launched outer space rockets, since it would solve many problems involving getting up to altitude from a dead stop on the ground.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:26 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:With modern avionics, fly-by-wire systems, and control technology, this 'basically stable' design is a piece of cake. Looks like 2 cockpits, I'd guess they are redundant. Might use only one pilot per side, if I were designing it there would be separate power and control systems for reliability. But then again I'm a nuclear engineer and we do everything like that. I've actually wondered for years why we weren't working on air-launched outer space rockets, since it would solve many problems involving getting up to altitude from a dead stop on the ground.

Air launching is not a new concept at all. But I think it had to wait until the extensive use of composites was practical to keep the weight down while maintaining airframe integrity. May not be able to do this with aluminum, and titanium is pretty expensive. Boeing has extensive use of composites in its new jets, so that tech is advancing well.

This looks interesting.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:31 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:With modern avionics, fly-by-wire systems, and control technology, this 'basically stable' design is a piece of cake. Looks like 2 cockpits, I'd guess they are redundant. Might use only one pilot per side, if I were designing it there would be separate power and control systems for reliability. But then again I'm a nuclear engineer and we do everything like that. I've actually wondered for years why we weren't working on air-launched outer space rockets, since it would solve many problems involving getting up to altitude from a dead stop on the ground.

Well, you need something with a lot of lifting capacity for the booster fuel as well as a lot of clearance for large payloads. Looks like this craft is tailor-made for it.

A fundamental problem with the piggy-back design is the need to get the craft out of the way when the payload is released. Rockets by nature want to fall when released and before the engine fires, so you have to get the airplane out from under a falling rocket. Looks like that thing can drop it straight down without any problem at all.

Twin cockpits could be useful for flight crew and launch crew.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:35 pm

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:45 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:With modern avionics, fly-by-wire systems, and control technology, this 'basically stable' design is a piece of cake. Looks like 2 cockpits, I'd guess they are redundant. Might use only one pilot per side, if I were designing it there would be separate power and control systems for reliability. But then again I'm a nuclear engineer and we do everything like that. I've actually wondered for years why we weren't working on air-launched outer space rockets, since it would solve many problems involving getting up to altitude from a dead stop on the ground.

Air launching is not a new concept at all. But I think it had to wait until the extensive use of composites was practical to keep the weight down while maintaining airframe integrity. May not be able to do this with aluminum, and titanium is pretty expensive. Boeing has extensive use of composites in its new jets, so that tech is advancing well.

This looks interesting.

Air launch has indeed been around for a while. What is emerging today is an ever expanding fleet of options.

The F104 first flown in the 50s flew to 70,000 feet at speeds in excess of Mach 2. In the case of small packages, we have had air launch capability for some time. F104 Starfighters are still flying and offer small package high altitude access and air launch capability up to 120,000 feet. >> http://www.starfighters.net/company/

Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:22 am
  • What happens if the pilot in one cockpit tries to turn left, while the pilot in the other cockpit tries to turn right?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:50 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:What happens if the pilot in one cockpit tries to turn left, while the pilot in the other cockpit tries to turn right?

Do you lie awake at night worrying about these things?
    :twisted:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:57 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:What happens if the pilot in one cockpit tries to turn left, while the pilot in the other cockpit tries to turn right?

In a Boeing airplane they would resist each other until one prevails because both yokes are mechanically connected.

In an Airbus airplane with side stick (joystick) controls, both inputs would be neutralized by the flight computer. Both joysticks have a red button that allows one pilot to deactivate the other joystick.

If you want to know more about this subject here's a link to a chat forum that discusses it at length. mandala499 is the resident expert.

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=763205
    Superbowl XLVIII Champions..."Can't keep everyone."
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:10 am
  • The most important question is, are they going to put the Seahawk logo on it?
    dadof3
    NET Rookie

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:39 am
  • I wonder how many LiPo batteries it takes and if I could fly it at my local school. ;)

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:52 am
  • sutz wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:What happens if the pilot in one cockpit tries to turn left, while the pilot in the other cockpit tries to turn right?

Do you lie awake at night worrying about these things?
    :twisted:

No, but I sit in my cubicle at work and worry about them while not getting any work done...
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:56 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    No, but I sit in my cubicle at work and worry about them while not getting any work done...

Cubicle?

OMG, I owe you many apologies.
    I've always interacted with you under the assumption that you were an average/normal Joe.
    A cubicle will remove any normal from a person in just a couple of years.

Our relationship will be much better from this moment on, now that I have a better understanding of your condition.

I'm truly sorry Bro :{)

And for all the other cubicle dwellers, feel free to call me anytime if you want/need to talk. I might even be good for a hug.

Edit: while I'm at it, I also want to apologize for posting this topic on the main page.
    I have seen the error of my ways.

Love all y'all
    GoHawks.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:19 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:

Cubicle?

OMG, I owe you many apologies.
    I've always interacted with you under the assumption that you were an average/normal Joe.
    A cubicle will remove any normal from a person in just a couple of years.

Our relationship will be much better from this moment on, now that I have a better understanding of your condition.

I'm truly sorry Bro :{)

And for all the other cubicle dwellers, feel free to call me anytime if you want/need to talk. I might even be good for a hug.

Edit: while I'm at it, I also want to apologize for posting this topic on the main page.
    I have seen the error of my ways.

Love all y'all
    GoHawks.

Welp, SOMEBODY isn't capable of concentrating on something without having massive distractions around them.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:39 pm
  • I have an advantage, though... I didn't have any normal when I started this job.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:59 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Welp, SOMEBODY isn't capable of concentrating on something without having massive distractions around them.

I won't argue a case that I can't win :{)

In my own defense however, it takes a special person to do what I do.
    I've always be "special"
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:01 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    Love all y'all
    GoHawks.

Who says "all y'all?" :34853_doh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:34 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    Love all y'all
    GoHawks.

Who says "all y'all?" :34853_doh:

It's plural for y'all.

Kinda' like you might say "you guys" even if you were talking to 3 females.

#nobodyisperfect

:{)

BTW, did you see the size of that airplane?
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:22 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information