Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Just curious: does anyone actually WANT the Dark Universe?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • In case you don’t know, the Dark Universe is Universal's attempt at creating a cinematic universe based around the old Universal monsters line:

The first film is The Mummy, starring Tom Cruise, which looks terrible to me (BTW, I love Sofia Boutella, so I think that sucks).

My question is: is there anyone who actually wanted any of this?
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• If it was well made I think people would go see it -- but reviews are bad so it will struggle domestically.

Of course, films like this make their bank off the international market so it doesn't really matter. It will turn a huge profit and the Dark Universe will go on and on and on.
    * NET Staff *

• I'll see The Mummy
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Hawkstorian wrote:Of course, films like this make their bank off the international market so it doesn't really matter. It will turn a huge profit and the Dark Universe will go on and on and on.

Yep.

Thank you, China, for saddling us with bad movies year after year.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• If it's well made sure, there's a lot of interesting stories to flesh out. They need to make each movie good on their own though, not just build up for introducing more characters. Early reviews of Mummy aren't great but I will probably see it.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• It's like any movie franchise............if you make great movies, people will care, fans or not.

My guess is less than 1% of movie goers even know what the Dark Universe is, but if The Mummy was good they'd go and learn about it and maybe get into it.

But it's not, it stinks, so no........no one will want it.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• I'd love to see it, if they did it well.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Watched those movies over and over late night when I was young, I agree the anticipation and build up in the old movies was part of the thrill, the Monsters many times having more human qualities but by situations tragic at the same time, being able to translate that to this technology and instant gratification society could be difficult, if there is dialogue for more then 5 minutes and not a death or something blown up people call movies boring now. I think it's the TLDNR mentality of people lazy or missing out on the Actress and Actors delivering a good p[performance and a good written script enhanced by technology and or action sequences.

I hope these are on the edge of Penny Dreadful and the Original Classics with a bigger budget.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I think I'd have more interest in another Point Break re-make.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:if there is dialogue for more then 5 minutes and not a death or something blown up people call movies boring now. I think it's the TLDNR mentality of people lazy or missing out on the Actress and Actors delivering a good p[performance and a good written script enhanced by technology and or action sequences.

I feel like too many movies are oversaturated with both action scenes and dialogue. There needs to be more build-up and tension created with quiet parts...use facial expressions, show a montage of somebody doing things...move the camera around and show us some scenery. Those things are very enjoyable, and help me grow more attached to the characters. In turn, that helps me enjoy action scenes and dialogue more since they are fewer and farer between, and because I actually care about the character surviving in those actions scenes.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Looks like an action movie with a mummy in it, and not so much a movie about a mummy. Will get around to watching it eventually. I do like the idea of a series of re-imagining of classic monsters though. I don't take much stock in mass opinion (critics). Ghost in the Shell had poor reviews and I loved every minute of it. Mass effect Andromeda had horrible reviews, and I got 50 hours out of it and mostly enjoyed it.

As far as the Mummy goes, I loved the ones with Brendan Fraser.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

• fenderbender123 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:if there is dialogue for more then 5 minutes and not a death or something blown up people call movies boring now. I think it's the TLDNR mentality of people lazy or missing out on the Actress and Actors delivering a good p[performance and a good written script enhanced by technology and or action sequences.

I feel like too many movies are oversaturated with both action scenes and dialogue. There needs to be more build-up and tension created with quiet parts...use facial expressions, show a montage of somebody doing things...move the camera around and show us some scenery. Those things are very enjoyable, and help me grow more attached to the characters. In turn, that helps me enjoy action scenes and dialogue more since they are fewer and farer between, and because I actually care about the character surviving in those actions scenes.

The biggest problem in Hollywood right now is movie studios refusal to give up on licenses, especially if they've been profitable in the past.

IMO this is the case with The Mummy, or why we have a new Spiderman reboot every other year.

There usually is no fresh idea or compelling script to create a really good movie out of. It's more "hey we gotta make another Mummy movie or else we're going to lose the license on it.............let's give Tom Cruise a ridiculous amount of money and hire a director that'll kiss Tom's ass and see if we can slap something together that'll make enough to pay for the budget."
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• One of my favorite movies as a kid was "Monster Squad". If this "universe" can pull off some of that vibe, I'd be thrilled. It can definitely be entertaining if done right.
    City Of Reign
    NET Starter

• RolandDeschain wrote:I'd love to see it, if they did it well.

I concur. It would be a cool concept if done well.

The Mummy was too slapstick. You do a movie like that, you need to have a dark ambient theme. There can be comedy in it, but it need to set it up only in certain moments to relieve tension. There was no skill though. Overall, the movie was crap. The writing was subpar at best. The whole story was formulaic and off key... Tom Cruise had no chemistry with his female lead. You know what would have worked much better? If there was a mutual attraction between his character and the mummy... if it became this obsessive twisted love story that served as a metaphor for the way some men get involved with crazy screwed up women who then ruin their lives. This movie was perfect for that kind of metaphorical story.

You know that conversation we've all had with one of our friends, at one point or another in our lives?

"Wake up, man! She's a freaking undead sorceress who's out to destroy the world!"

"But I love her!"

Instead we get action set pieces linked together by dry, uninspired cliche's. Russell Crowe as Dr. Jekyl was essentially the only good thing in the entire movie.

Compare this with the first Iron Man which launched Marvel's Cinematic Universe. That was fresh, inspired performances across the bored. A nice metaphorical touchstone making Stark an arms dealer and having it come back to bite him in the ass. Good chemistry between RDJ and GP, and on and on. Meanwhile, The Mummy failed to check 8 out of 10 boxes on the list.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• Saw it. Thought it was a fine movie. Nothing great but I didn't feel like I wasted my money. Next movie up is Bride of Frankenstein. Seems curious to do that before Frankenstein, but we'll see how it goes.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information