Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Cleaning WeberQ suggestions wanted, please

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Cleaning WeberQ suggestions wanted, please
Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:36 pm
  • I hate cleaning our WeberQ 2200, and am asking if anyone has any suggestions for making it less tedious and time-consuming, please.

I use Weber's own cleaner on the lid and body, and hot water/detergent on the hotplate and grills. There's stains on the lid that just refuse to be removed, though. Grease also drips down the back onto the gas cylinder, stored under the unit in a Weber trolley. YUK!

We used to have a Weber kettle BBQ, which was easy to clean, because all the grease etc dripped directly into a waste tray, and the briquettes were in the cradles to the sides. But with the Weber q everything drips all over the burner and the inner surface of the body, before going into the waste tray. I don't clean it often enough, because it is such a chore, so I guess it compounds my problem, with bad messes to clean up each time.

I've tried vinegar on the lid, and various other proprietary cleaners, but nothing seems to be any better than hot water, detergent and a whole lot of miserably frustrating scrubbing.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Well, I can tell you what NOT to do with that sort of thing... A few years back I'd just replaced my electric range and the new one had a self-cleaning feature. I tried it out when the oven got yucky and it worked great! So I thought to myself "Self, you should put those nasty cast-iron grills from the BBQ in there and do it again." Well, it smoked up the whole house, and the smoke stains never came out of my new white stove, ever. So don't do anything like that to clean your BBQ parts.
    :oops:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:Well, I can tell you what NOT to do with that sort of thing... A few years back I'd just replaced my electric range and the new one had a self-cleaning feature. I tried it out when the oven got yucky and it worked great! So I thought to myself "Self, you should put those nasty cast-iron grills from the BBQ in there and do it again." Well, it smoked up the whole house, and the smoke stains never came out of my new white stove, ever. So don't do anything like that to clean your BBQ parts.
    :oops:

Ha! I did the same thing. Smoked like crazy, stunk and was a but scared as I wasn't sure it wouldn't start a fire. Fortunately no smoke stains. Did clean the grills great, but not worth it. Now I just make a big fire in the grill and let that heat do it's thing. Of course I use charcoal, like real men, so I have no advice for Mr Aussie. :)
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

• One of the things I always do is, when I'm done cooking, I don't just shut down the grill. I turn it up on "high" for a few minutes and let the heat burn off the excess dripping. (Similar to above). This helps to keep the "mess" from getting out of hand, works quite well actually.

I've also fashioned a couple of "drip cans" out of empty coffee cans. Just poke a couple of holes and hang with wire or a piece of coat hanger.
    I know this won't fix your current problem but it will help with future "messes"

Best o luck
    :{)

Edit:
    I'll add this, if the design of your grill allows you to place Lava Rock around the burner, do so. The rocks will catch a lot of the "mess", they are cheap and easy to replace every so often.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote:One of the things I always do is, when I'm done cooking, I don't just shut down the grill. I turn it up on "high" for a few minutes and let the heat burn off the excess dripping. (Similar to above). This helps to keep the "mess" from getting out of hand, works quite well actually.

I've also fashioned a couple of "drip cans" out of empty coffee cans. Just poke a couple of holes and hang with wire or a piece of coat hanger.
    I know this won't fix your current problem but it will help with future "messes"

Edit:
    I'll add this, if the design of your grill allows you to place Lava Rock around the burner, do so. The rocks will catch a lot of the "mess", they are cheap and easy to replace every so often.

Thank you! I'll do this from now on, and check out the Lava Rock idea.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:24 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information