Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Cigars ....... :{)

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:11 pm
  • Do you smoke them?

I know nothing about cigars but once a year or so I feel like I need to smoke one, and I do.

Seems like I've always had a few beers, and it's some type of special occasion.

Some of the cigars I've tried were very enjoyable, some tasted and smelled like I lit up a dog turd.
    I'm sure there's some sort of cigar protocol but I'm ignorant.
    Let's talk about cigars, I'd like to learn.

And I'm tired of firing up a $16 piece of poo.

I recently lit up one that set me back $18, tossed it into the trash (after extinguishing), went back into the shop and paid $6 for one that smelled/tasted great.

Help a brother out.

:{)
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: Cigars ....... :{)
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:28 pm
  • I know nothing about cigars, but I'm guessing those that do will want to know what specific brands/types you tried and didn't like, and those you did.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:39 pm
  • http://www.thebigsmokes.com/

Went there a couple of times. They have liquor there too.....a LOT of stuff there. Brother took me there and it was interesting. I think I do about one or 3 a year. That is pushing it. Patel is supposedly a great stick. Did not cost too much to get in too. Just a thought. They had a lot of food there at the display too. Just get a package when you go in and run the lines to get what you want and drink all yuall can. Believe me...all ya can.......Meow.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:54 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I know nothing about cigars, but I'm guessing those that do will want to know what specific brands/types you tried and didn't like, and those you did.

Come on man.
    Already confessed that beer is almost always involved.
    I have no idea what I've tried, or why I tried what I did. Sometimes it was recommended by the guy at the store, sometimes it was was because I liked the aroma at the time of purchase.
    I can only offer this. Image

This was the most recent cigar I tried.
    Cost was $13, and it was ok/good.
    It smelled good, didn't burn my tongue, and didn't seem to offend those around me.

When I say I'm ignorant about cigars, it 100% truth.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:58 pm
  • I quit smoking about 10 years ago, never looked back, no regrets. I swore then and now that if they ever lift the lid on Cuban Cigars, I'll smoke again. I've tried just about ever cigar under the sun over the years, and most Cuban seed Cigars where tolerable, but a true Cuban grown, harvested and hand rolled Cigar is unmatchable. I've said for years that smoking a Cuban Cigar, is like eating a fine meal. It smokes cool and smooth, no bite or burn. It fills your mouth, throat, lungs and nostrils with a combination of flavors and a sensation that can't really be put into words. It's an experience you can't really truly define, you have either smoked a true Cuban Cigar or you haven't. I've had a total of 3 in my life, now age 60, I've had many that were professed to be Cuban but were not. Once you have had one you'll never be fooled by wannabes and will never settle for less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am a tried and true Seattle Seahawks 12th man, as are all of my children and grandchildren. I wholeheartedly believe that the 12th man, is the true heart and soul of the Seahawks. As goes the 12th man, so go the Seahawks. The Seahawks are only as strong as their true Heart & Soul.
    pacific101
    NET Rookie

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:22 pm
  • Swisher Sweets. Cut it open and put that sticky in it.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:43 pm
  • Are you sure there isn't a bit of the knowledge that Cubans have been illegal for so long playing a role in your opinion, there? There are a lot of articles out there talking about how Cubans aren't anything special. Not trying to start a fight, just I've never known anything about cigars, but a cigar aficionado friend of mine told me years ago that they're pretty overrated.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:57 pm
  • It's hard to go wrong with classic Montecristo or Cohiba.
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:46 pm
  • Somehow, it seems appropriate that Anguish is a cigar smoker. :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:35 am
  • I actually haven't smoked one in about a decade, but there was a time that I had well over $1000 worth of cigars in my humidor. So, I've sampled a LOT of cigars. Are there better cigars than the 2 I mentioned? Sure. But, in the $10-$12 range per cigar, it's hard to beat a Montecristo Natural Rothchilde for a mild cigar or a Cohiba Cameroon Robusto if you want something a little more aggressive.
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:40 pm
  • Have a few Cohibas in my hand right now. Straight off the boat so to say. Not sure when I will find the time to smoke one, hard to sit on the patio for an hr. in the Texas sun.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:38 pm
  • NoChops wrote:Have a few Cohibas in my hand right now. Straight off the boat so to say. Not sure when I will find the time to smoke one, hard to sit on the patio for an hr. in the Texas sun.

I just looked outside, this is my view of the Texas sky right now.

Looks like a "cigar" evening too me.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:56 am
  • Perfect cigar conditions there my friend. :)

I like to smoke cigars with friends on special occasions. Nowhere even close to a connoisseur but I know a good smoke from a not-so good smoke.

My favorite go-to is the Padron 1964 Anniversary...Padron's in general are such a consistent cigar. Cohiba's are great...Hard to go wrong really with any 90+ rated cigar. It's about taste preference, mild, medium or bold...Size as well.

I rarely smoke a Churchill/full body...I tend to go for the smaller, mild to mediums. Too heavy can kick my ass especially when I am drinking (which is always the case if I am partaking in the semi-rare cigar).

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:17 pm
  • I could use that lake breeze about now. My patio faces due West. Heat index is 111 right now. :evil:
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:22 pm
  • I was big into cigars back at WWU in the late 90's. We'd drive down towards Anacortes to that big Smoke shop on the Res. to avoid taxes. My favorite smoke of all time is the Fuente, Fuente Opus X. Not really up for paying 30 bucks for one in Tejas.

Excited to smoke one of these Choibas. I have only had a true Cuban cigar twice before. I don't have a humidor anymore so I better just man up and fire one of these up before they dry out.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:05 pm
  • Here's one I stumbled upon that I really enjoy.
    It's "light", any hard core cigars guys might think it's too light but for a newbie like me, it's perfect.

Paired with a nice Bourbon and the back porch, it's blissful.

Cheers :{)

Edit:
    Just realized it's out of focus.

Cigar is a Baccarat if ya can't read the ring.

2nd edit: I bought five cigars at the same time, and don't remember the price of this one but I didn't pay more than $8 for any of them, so this one was $5-8.

3rd edit: maybe it's the Beth Hart playing in the background that's creating the "Bliss"?
    Then again it might be the whiskey?
    Not sure but I'm pretty happy so not gunna try to figure it out. The combination is working well.

Love you guys.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:54 pm
  • FWIW, the whiskey I'm drinking these days is Basil Hayden's.
    For many years I've been drinking MakersMark when I drink Whiskey but a buddy of mine from Louisiana turned me onto Basil Hayden's a year or so ago. My buddy makes Whiskey (some of the best I've ever tasted), and when he buys "store bought " this is what he buys.
    It's in the same price range as MakersMark, I've seen it a little more, I've seen it less.
    It's good stuff and as long as i can find it at the time, I won't be buying any more MakersMark. Besides, I got mad at MM for selling out to the Japanese.
    Anyway thread is about cigars not whiskey, y'all stay on topic.

JK
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:57 pm
  • Finally got around to lighting up a Coheba...very nice. Not gonna get to crazy with the description, but you can tell they were rolled in a master's hands. Smoked just perfectly. And yeah, Basil Hayden's is real tasty too.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:38 pm
  • Since starting this thread I've been doing some research.
    Said research has led me to smoke more cigars in a month than I have the previous 3-4 years:{)

I've grown fond of the "Padron 2000s"
    I've tried all of the "Oliva" series, haven't found a bad one of those yet.
    When looking for a "bang for your buck", so far my favorite affordable cigar is the "BrickHouse".

I also recently enjoyed an Alec Bradley "American".
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:33 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information