Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Beer Advice Please

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Beer Advice Please
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:53 am
  • As I know there are quite a few people here who enjoy their beer, I thought I'd seek a little help/advice, as I lack knowledge of beers. I will drink them on occasion, but usually only when they are offered. I'm more of a hard liquor drinker when I drink.

The in-laws are coming to visit for a few weeks in early July. The beer of choice for her dad is either Carling or Carlberg lager. Both are quite common in the UK, but neither are something I can find here. I was hoping someone here might have an idea of which beers that can be found rather easily would be the closest to his taste, or if basically It's one of those situations where we just grab some lager beer and see what works? I'm not sure if it helps with the possible advice I may get, but he does like to add a bit of lime juice in his beer. I'm guessing that works better with certain types than it does with others.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Re: Beer Advice Please
Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:22 pm
  • You might not have the heart to tell him that Carling is owned and brewed by Molson Coors. Probably brewed in Canada, and shipped to the UK.

Anyway, if that's all your father in law drinks, then don't get too crazy with the local craft beers.

Just look for a mid range lager, or light lager and he should be happy. Kona Longboard, Original Coors, Negra Modelo, Peroni, Fosters, Heineken. Those are probably the safest lateral moves from his beloved Carling.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:37 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:You might not have the heart to tell him that Carling is owned and brewed by Molson Coors. Probably brewed in Canada, and shipped to the UK.

Anyway, if that's all your father in law drinks, then don't get too crazy with the local craft beers.

Just look for a mid range lager, or light lager and he should be happy. Kona Longboard, Original Coors, Negra Modelo, Peroni, Fosters, Heineken. Those are probably the safest lateral moves from his beloved Carling.

Thanks for the list of names to work with. I don't think he's too concerned with who owns it or where it's brewed. At least I've never heard him say anything to make me think that. I just know what he drinks and know it's not available here.

If Carling is owned by Molson Coors, is there an American version of it that they make and maybe sell under a different label?

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:48 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:You might not have the heart to tell him that Carling is owned and brewed by Molson Coors. Probably brewed in Canada, and shipped to the UK.

Thanks for the list of names to work with. I don't think he's too concerned with who owns it or where it's brewed. At least I've never heard him say anything to make me think that. I just know what he drinks and know it's not available here.

If Carling is owned by Molson Coors, is there an American version of it that they make and maybe sell under a different label?

I know there's a Canadian Carling and UK Carling, have no idea what the difference is. But I don't think there's an american version.

I'd go to Total Wine of Bevmo, they might even carry Carling..........and I know for sure they sell Molson.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Beer Advice Please
Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:16 pm
  • Although Sarge's advice is solid, I'd go the exact opposite direction.

I'd go get a reasonable sampling of locals, and let him try a few different styles of those. See if he finds something that he really likes.
    Many of the stores that have a big selection will let you mix n match six packs.

I love going to new areas and trying local brew that I can't get in my region. Sure I find some that I wouldn't purchase again but hardly ever find one that I won't finish, and I've also found some of my favorites this way.

Personally I think your making a mistake by trying to find a beer like the one he drinks.
    If he's real picky you probably won't find one that pleases him, if he's not, he'll enjoy the sampling.

Good luck and hope y'all enjoy the visit.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:23 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Although Sarge's advice is solid, I'd go the exact opposite direction.

I'd go get a reasonable sampling of locals, and let him try a few different styles of those. See if he finds something that he really likes.
    Many of the stores that have a big selection will let you mix n match six packs.

I love going to new areas and trying local brew that I can't get in my region. Sure I find some that I wouldn't purchase again but hardly ever find one that I won't finish, and I've also found some of my favorites this way.

Personally I think your making a mistake by trying to find a beer like the one he drinks.
    If he's real picky you probably won't find one that pleases him, if he's not, he'll enjoy the sampling.

I'm with you as far as what I do.

I just know most dudes, especially dads who ONLY drink one beer, and a plain one at that might thumb their nose up at our fancy smancy local beers and want something closer to their beer.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:53 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:Although Sarge's advice is solid, I'd go the exact opposite direction.

I'm with you as far as what I do.

I just know most dudes, especially dads who ONLY drink one beer, and a plain one at that might thumb their nose up at our fancy smancy local beers and want something closer to their beer.

I am, personally, like pmedic here, I like to try new things when I travel, but he is very much like his daughter, and they are very simple in their tastes and don't like to vary much. He does drink alcoholic cider from time to time, but I can't recall which one he preferred. I do remember those two as his primary beverages of choice though, thus the query He doesn't seem to be "picky" as far as brands are concerned as he's gone with other "light in color" lagers in restaurants that didn't have his normal choices. I think he'll be happy just to have something cold waiting on him when he gets in. I will probably go with either some molson or heineken to have in the fridge for his arrival as those sound like they will likely do the trick. He can then decide for himself if he wishes to try new beers after that.

Thanks again guys...and of course if others have more input I'm always open. I'm the social type so I'll probably end up having one or two with him at some point. I mean what kind of host doesn't throw back a cold one with his guest? Right?

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:32 pm
  • If your going with Molson, my fav is "Canadian".

That's my 3rd cent :{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:03 am
  • My favorite w lime is Tecate n Lime. Mexican beer.
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:33 pm
  • Take him to a local craft brewery, get a couple flights of all their offerings, and bring home some growlers of his favorite(s). Better welcome than just picking up cans/bottles of what he normally drinks. :)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:37 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Take him to a local craft brewery, get a couple flights of all their offerings, and bring home some growlers of his favorite(s). Better welcome than just picking up cans/bottles of what he normally drinks. :)

Might do something like that if he wants to after he's been here, but am looking to just grab a six pack of something for his arrival. He's not going to be up for going anywhere after 12+ hours traveling especially with the time zone changes...it'll feel like 3 am when they arrive here.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:36 pm
  • Check out Total Wine. You can get almost any beer you want from there. They will ship it to the closest store to you. It looks like you can buy Carlsberg from there. He might appreciate having his favorite beer on hand too.

I'd definitely give him some of the local beers too. It's fun to try different kinds of beer. My favorite is Alaskan Amber which I think goes great with smoked salmon. He might love that.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:42 pm

These are pretty good with lime....pop the lime in, cover the top with your thumb and invert for a few seconds.....
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:28 am
  • Psh. Fine, be that way. :lol:
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:48 am
  • bigtrain21 wrote:Check out Total Wine. You can get almost any beer you want from there. They will ship it to the closest store to you. It looks like you can buy Carlsberg from there. He might appreciate having his favorite beer on hand too.

I'd definitely give him some of the local beers too. It's fun to try different kinds of beer. My favorite is Alaskan Amber which I think goes great with smoked salmon. He might love that.

They don't have any Alaska stores....I checked anyway, but they can only ship wine and accessories to Alaska. Not Beer. Thanks though, I appreciate it.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:22 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:Image

These are pretty good with lime....pop the lime in, cover the top with your thumb and invert for a few seconds.....

Huh?

pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:01 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:Image

Huh?

I figured it would be available to him. To each his own, especially when it comes to beer and women....
    This is one of my favorites, but I doubt that it is for sale in Alaska...

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:12 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:Image

Huh?

I figured it would be available to him. To each his own, especially when it comes to beer and women....
    This is one of my favorites, but I doubt that it is for sale in Alaska...

I've got to believe that anybody that likes Corona hasn't tried enough beers.
    I've had it straight from the horse, in Mexico, Corona is crap.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:23 pm
  • I know an older German guy that used to down a half-rack of Carling Black Label a day on his outdoor adventures. Unless it was really hot he never used a cooler. After trying a few I would say it's a pretty generic, but decent, pale American-type Lager. I don't see it any more. I looked it up and it appears Carling is the same beer as Carling Black Label. Guess they don't distribute much in the states. It was owned by G. Heileman in the US for a while.

I'm guessing he'd like other American/Canadian Lagers. Try Labatts, maybe.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:42 pm
  • I would think Molson would be more close to a mild lager. Heinie is a harsher kick type lager. World Market has some beers in it. Could also be known as Cost Plus World market. I got some cherry wheat beer there that Sam Adams makes that is pretty good. Disregard, you have not World Market there. The one imports store there may have some odd beers in it. I have seen where some Liquor stores carry outlandish beers instead of grocery store types.

Growlers, I have about 5 of them and one is a mini one from Bend Oregon. May want to think in the half sized for the future too.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:03 am
  • Just wanted to thank you guys again for all the input. He's come and gone now, so I figured I'd update this thread with what he ended up having. As suspected, his tastes stayed very simple. He tried a few different beers while he was here, but his go to ended up being bud light w/lime and Angry Orchard Cider

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:54 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Take him to a local craft brewery, get a couple flights of all their offerings, and bring home some growlers of his favorite(s). Better welcome than just picking up cans/bottles of what he normally drinks. :)

That's some great advice. I'm not a huge beer drinker but that would be a great way to go IMHO!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:58 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Take him to a local craft brewery, get a couple flights of all their offerings, and bring home some growlers of his favorite(s). Better welcome than just picking up cans/bottles of what he normally drinks. :)

That's some great advice. I'm not a huge beer drinker but that would be a great way to go IMHO!

I went over to Main Street after visiting the mob museum and had a couple of decent reds there. It was a long walk, but not as long as the one to visit. Lordy it was a hot sumbitch there. Almost as bad as that game a few years back in SanDiego. :P
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:41 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:I went over to Main Street after visiting the mob museum and had a couple of decent reds there. It was a long walk, but not as long as the one to visit. Lordy it was a hot sumbitch there. Almost as bad as that game a few years back in SanDiego. :P

Oh, right; the one where everyone knew for a fact it hit 173 degrees, right?

:lol:
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information