Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Pork crackling advice, please

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:57 pm
  • OK, y'all have proven to be BBQ/smoking experts, so how can we improve our pork crackling?

It never seems to be "crackly" enough all over; rather uneven and shallow. We get a small pork roast (there's only the two of us) of about 1kg/2.2lb. My wife oils (canola or sunflower) and salts the fat, rubbing it hard into the slits in the fat. We used to put 30% extra charcoal briquettes in our old Weber kettle, which we don't have any more, and we keep our gas-fired WeberQ 2200 on the highest heat setting for the first 30 mins of the cooking time, before turning it down to the same setting used for beef or lamb roasts.

Neither Weber method is any better than the other. We only rarely have pork, for obvious health reasons, but a great crackling is an awesome occasional treat, and any suggestions would be most welcome, please.

I have a meat thermometer, but have never used it yet, for which I prolly deserve a good slapping!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Re: Pork crackling advice, please
Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:41 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:Try this??? and read the comments. Seems they have more information then the originator of the recipe.

http://www.food.com/recipe/perfect-roas ... ing-134979

I have never done pork crackling so i cannot be of any specific help here, but the mention of reading the comments is spot on. I have fouñd over the years that dealing with grilling and smoking variations are where most of my favorite meals have come from. I have said this in the other thread and it still holds true. The best part about grilling and smoking specifically and cooking in general is adjusting recipes to personal tastes.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:34 am
  • Your description is confusing me.

When I think of "cracklings" I think of fried pork skin, from the "belly"

The "Cajuns" do it right.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:12 am

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:50 am
  • drcool wrote:Are you using pork belly? Or a different cut? Here is a recipe for some crispy pork belly that I have always wanted to try: http://jesspryles.com/perfect-crispy-pork-belly-recipe/

No, it's not pork belly - I will have to check next time we have pork, but it is a boneless cut. My wife does the grocery shopping: I just pay for it! :)

Anyway, I was painting doors and cupboards all day (ugh!) so I had nothing to do with cooking the pork roast tonight, but it was the best crackling we've ever had, simply by thoroughly drying the rind before oiling and salting it. But next time we'll try pouring boiling water over it first, before drying it. Opening out the slits in the rind makes sense.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:59 am
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:Try this??? and read the comments. Seems they have more information then the originator of the recipe.

http://www.food.com/recipe/perfect-roas ... ing-134979

Thank you! Very interesting comments, indeed. (See prior post) - boiling water drench/pretreatment will be tried next time. I reckon that may be just the ticket, to enhance opening and drying the slits in the rind, making a maximally dry and large surface area available, per volume of rind, to facilitate crackling thoroughness and depth.

But YUM tonight anyway; DRY rind helps enormously!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:12 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:Your description is confusing me.

When I think of "cracklings" I think of fried pork skin, from the "belly"

The "Cajuns" do it right.

Heck, Lon, thanks! This is awesome - not the same as the whole pork roast, but ///swoon/// as horses' dos [hors d'oeuvres].

That Cajun guy sure looks like an experienced and bona fide expert! :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:44 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    drcool wrote:Are you using pork belly? Or a different cut? Here is a recipe for some crispy pork belly that I have always wanted to try: http://jesspryles.com/perfect-crispy-pork-belly-recipe/

No, it's not pork belly - I will have to check next time we have pork, but it is a boneless cut. My wife does the grocery shopping: I just pay for it! :)

Anyway, I was painting doors and cupboards all day (ugh!) so I had nothing to do with cooking the pork roast tonight, but it was the best crackling we've ever had, simply by thoroughly drying the rind before oiling and salting it. But next time we'll try pouring boiling water over it first, before drying it. Opening out the slits in the rind makes sense.

Most likely a skin on park butt (ie shoulder or picnic ham) Not often seen in my neck of the woods with skin on. I've never cooked one, but my grandmother used to cook them all the time and the skin was cracklin crispy delicious. She used to have a phrase regarding the finishing of the roast, "Send it to the devil". Crank up the heat to 500 and let it crisp up. Be prepared to set off your smoke alarms. :)

I did do a porchetta a few years back and it got very smokey and still didn't crisp up the skin as I would have liked.

You could ask one of these guys on twitter, they will definitely know.

https://twitter.com/kenjilopezalt

https://twitter.com/meathead
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:37 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    Heck, Lon, thanks! This is awesome - not the same as the whole pork roast, but ///swoon/// as horses' dos [hors d'oeuvres].

That Cajun guy sure looks like an experienced and bona fide expert! :)

Well in the southern US this is what "cracklings" are/is.
    There are tons of youtube vids to look at on the topic.

I'm still not 100% sure about what you're looking for unless you simply want your roast to have a very crispy crust "burnt ends" style.
    Here's a video on "burnt ends", I'm not convinced that the history is 100% accurate but it will give you an idea.

Maybe I could be of more help if you posted some pictures of what you are calling "cracklings".
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information