Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Once in a lifetime trip to Belize... You can do it too!

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I'm not a big traveler, at all, but I booked this one for over the Xmas holiday from Boeing. That way I don't have to use any valuable vacation time. Anyways, this will probably be our trip of a lifetime. I finally caved to the pestering wife and said "ALL F'ing RIGHT!!"... lol But I had specific criteria.... First: Adults only. We went to Mexico a few years back over the Xmas break, and we were overrun with kids. They even closed the in-pool bar because of it. Never again! I don't dislike kids, but I just don't want them interfering with my private, expensive vacation-time! lol Second: Ancient ruins. I'm a history guy. I wanna see ruins! And lucky for me, they are included at no extra cost (all-inclusive) with the adventure tours. Mayan ruins all-day tour with lunch. A second, included tour is a multiple zip-line tour over the jungle canopy (filled with noisy howler monkeys) and a bat-filled cave tubing tour (with lunch), and 3 snorkeling tours. So anyhoo... After several hours over many days of searching all over the Caribbean, we came up with this... almost simultaneously on two computers. She came out and said "Coco Plum Island!"... And I said "yup!" lol. This is a private island off the coast of Belize. Adults only, All-inclusive.... Paradise. I booked 8 nights, leaving on Dec. 23 from SeaTac (12:15 AM, arriving in Belize city @ 10:30 AM, with one stop in Houston, both ways), and returning late night on Dec. 31st. So we get 7 full days, and two half-days. You arrive at the Belize City airport, then you catch a 20 min puddle-jumper flight to Dangriga, Belize. Then you are met by island staff and transported by van for 20 mins to a boat for a 30 min ride to the 16 acre private island. My oldest sister took a similar trip to a different island down there and she said she felt like she was in "The Amazing Race"! lol... But, that's about all I have to say about it. The rest can be found here. https://www.cocoplumcay.com/ Just wanted to let you guys know about it for future reference. It just looks and sounds incredible, and I'll post pics after we get back. Looking to impress a chick? This'll SO do it! lmao! The prices are far more reasonable than you may expect for a trip like this, so check it out. On the down side.... We're gonna miss TWO SEAHAWKS GAMES!!!! NO TV'S!!!! damnit.... 'tis ok though... I have a DVR, which WILL be set! heh heh.... I know that starting out, I had no idea what to book, or even quite where Belize even was. We were looking at Mexico again, but we literally stumbled across this. This package not only met all my criteria, but far exceeded ALL my criteria! This is gonna be bitchin', and I can't wait! Gonna be a loooong 5 months 'till we leave! But then again, Football season always flies by! :shock: :D

Here's a written review from 2011. There are now 8 more cabana's, but I'm sure it's just as heavenly.... lol

Perfect for you young guys.... But perfect for this old guy too! lol
    http://vagabond3.com/my-trip-to-paradis ... ay-belize/

If one or more of you guys/gals are as enamored as I am, and look into it or even book, let me know. I'll just be curious... There are still spots open for Xmas... I'll be the guy in the Seahawks T-shirt... lol

Quote from article: Like I said earlier, this vacation was true paradise. Everyone should experience a trip like this at least once in their lifetime. The amount of relaxation you’ll soak up during your time at Coco Plum is worth far more than the cost, and I guarantee you won’t regret it

Think about it....

Do it.
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.
    "Well, he's what you call 'on the bubble' with Porky-pine pants". Steve Largent, when he used to do color for Seahawks Pre-Season games...

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• I would be so all over that. I have always wanted to go somewhere tropical where the water is transparent turquoise and the sand is white. I may need to bookmark this. Enjoy and I await a fill write-up when you return! Thanks!

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• When I was 24 got to go to Brazil for 9 months and worked the whole coast, schedule was 2 months on one month off and they would fly me anywhere I wanted in the area on my break, 450 month per diem so 1350 dollars American in a country where our currency was like 100 to one ratio, I had a large back pack stuffed and I mean stuffed with money to spend for a month, that doesn't even include my salary which was based on a 8o hour work week so 40 hours a over time a week 80 paycheck. We still only worked 40 hrs a week but it was out of town pay. Every night after work take a Zodiak to the beach and party on company money, when I got my break had my per diem. Life doesn't get much better for a 24/25 year old single guy. Oh and it was in the mid 80"s also, yes I was a man whore and had the time of my life. Treated like I was Elvis every where I went, blue eyes were rare, blonde and blue eyes more rare.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• BlueThunder wrote: I'm a history guy. I wanna see ruins!

Just go to a 49ers game! :D

Seriously, ENJOY! I'll await your pics eagerly, too. I'm not into beaches/tropics myself, but it does look very beautiful.

I, too, could be possibly missing a VERY important game in September in my local Aussie rules league (too damned superstitious to mention it specifically, less I offend the football Gods), because my wife and I will be in Europe, somewhere on route between Prague and Berlin.
    Last edited by Aussie Seahawk on Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote: I'm a history guy. I wanna see ruins!

Ok, I lol'd on that one! Good one Aussie! :lol:
    "Well, he's what you call 'on the bubble' with Porky-pine pants". Steve Largent, when he used to do color for Seahawks Pre-Season games...

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Guess I should have mentioned as well.... "all-inclusive"... Meaning 3 spectacular meals a day and all the free local booze you can drink... all included at no extra cost. So be sure to figure that into the total price. Brings that price into even more (much more) reasonable realms. The meals there are awesome, according to every review I've read. All same-day caught fresh seafood, and fresh fruit and fresh everything. If you're actually looking into it, read the reviews on Trip Advisor. 95% 5-stars. Not sure you could go wrong here. When you add it all up, the awesome included off-island tours, the free food and free booze... And throw in the fabulous private island paradise, It's really a killer deal.

My first thought was all my friends that I wanted to turn on to this deal. When you do that math, it really is an amazing deal... And you can rent the entire island too. Imagine getting together 30+ buddies to go in on it equal.... Oh yeah!
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Aros wrote:I may need to bookmark this.

What's this "may" shit?? :roll: :mrgreen:

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Sounds awesome. ....but being a pasty practically albino white guy, the sun doesn't like me as much as I like it. :(
    Plus my biggest fear since 9/11 is they wouldn't let me back into the country, got hassled by both the Canadians and Americans last time I went to Canada about 15 years ago and so never again.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:Sounds awesome. ....but being a pasty practically albino white guy, the sun doesn't like me as much as I like it. :(
    Plus my biggest fear since 9/11 is they wouldn't let me back into the country, got hassled by both the Canadians and Americans last time I went to Canada about 15 years ago and so never again.

A. Fake 'n bake man! We're gonna fake 'n bake a month before we leave. We did that before Mexico, and it was the best decision... EVAH! I'm light skinned as well. Not ginger white, but MY killer tan looks like a German guy's burn. I'm mostly Irish. Blond. But I was able to go shirtless most of the trip... with no agonizing pain or burns at all. It just made everybody *gasp* when I returned to work... All lookin' like George Hamilton... all extra-crispy 'n shit... But not burned at all. It was amazing for the amount of time I spent out in direct sunlight! Fake 'n bake is the key. Screw oily sunscreen. Seriously.

B: Your passport should alleviate those problems... And Belize is laid back man... You would have ZERO problems.

As a plus... They rate Marijuana laws there as 9 of 10 legality... Meaning the law is on the books, but they don't actually go to great lengths to enforce it... Meaning it's practically legal. Kinda like Amsterdam... http://webehigh.org/belize-city-belize/ heh heh..... Ohhhh yeahhhhh.... I've read that Cabbies are great people to ask. Just ask for a dollar amount, not a quantity, or you'll get ripped off. Ask "I want 20 bucks worth". Which should be plenty for a week I would think... ;) :D Especially at Belizian prices, which are two Belizian dollars for every US dollar, which are accepted everywhere....

Oh, and this is Central America, so you will need a passport, not an "enhanced" license.
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Are you a little worried of becoming bored being on a little island for 8 days? Or is that kind of the point?
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• BlueThunder wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote: I'm a history guy. I wanna see ruins!

Ok, I lol'd on that one! Good one Aussie! :lol:

I literally audibly lol'd as well. Nice zinger, Aussie.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Tical21 wrote:Are you a little worried of becoming bored being on a little island for 8 days? Or is that kind of the point?

Well, there are the 5 included adventure tours, two of which are all-day affairs on the mainland. Plus you have company around. But yeah, chillin' on a tropical beach with a big froofy drink in my hand, nice breeze blowing... Sounds good to me! 8)

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• BlueThunder wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Sounds awesome. ....but being a pasty practically albino white guy, the sun doesn't like me as much as I like it. :(

A. Fake 'n bake man! We're gonna fake 'n bake a month before we leave. We did that before Mexico, and it was the best decision... EVAH! I'm light skinned as well. Not ginger white, but MY killer tan looks like a German guy's burn. I'm mostly Irish. Blond. But I was able to go shirtless most of the trip... with no agonizing pain or burns at all. It just made everybody *gasp* when I returned to work... All lookin' like George Hamilton... all extra-crispy 'n shit... But not burned at all. It was amazing for the amount of time I spent out in direct sunlight! Fake 'n bake is the key. Screw oily sunscreen. Seriously.

B: Your passport should alleviate those problems... And Belize is laid back man... You would have ZERO problems.

As a plus... They rate Marijuana laws there as 9 of 10 legality... Meaning the law is on the books, but they don't actually go to great lengths to enforce it... Meaning it's practically legal. Kinda like Amsterdam... http://webehigh.org/belize-city-belize/ heh heh..... Ohhhh yeahhhhh.... I've read that Cabbies are great people to ask. Just ask for a dollar amount, not a quantity, or you'll get ripped off. Ask "I want 20 bucks worth". Which should be plenty for a week I would think... ;) :D Especially at Belizian prices, which are two Belizian dollars for every US dollar, which are accepted everywhere....

Oh, and this is Central America, so you will need a passport, not an "enhanced" license.

Fake and bake doesn't work, I lived in an apartment coplex that had tanning beds when I was in my early 20's, it didn't work. I don't tan, I just turn darker shades of red.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:Fake and bake doesn't work, I lived in an apartment coplex that had tanning beds when I was in my early 20's, it didn't work. I don't tan, I just turn darker shades of red.

Wow... You must be close to a true albino! lol. Never heard of a fake 'n bake not working. Well, I tried.

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• I digress (what's new) but there was an article on albinism in the June National Geographic magazine. The prejudice, especially in parts of Africa, is absolutely horrific.

My delicate white Pommy skin (I was born in Yorkshire, England) just burns, too, and I dislike sunshine, unless it is cold. I've been in Australia since 1963, when I was 3, and only first got to go back to England for a visit in 2014, and it was weird I found it a bit hard to understand some folks in the place where I was born!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Chiming in late,

I went to Belize, Cay Caulker, for the water and beach and real Caribbean feel, got lucky with a local dame, and travelled inland. Interesting place. Avoide Belize City.

Great experience and I'll return again.
    Vesuve
    NET Rookie

• Vesuve wrote:Chiming in late,

I went to Belize, Cay Caulker, for the water and beach and real Caribbean feel, got lucky with a local dame, and travelled inland. Interesting place. Avoide Belize City.

We were kinda planning on catching an early boat from the island the day we leave so we could check out some of Belize city. What's the problem there? From everything I've read, it's pretty laid back with tons of friendly locals. Is there a part of town we should avoid?

And BTW.... "dame"? Was this in the late 40's? :lol:

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• BlueThunder wrote:
    Vesuve wrote:Chiming in late,

We were kinda planning on catching an early boat from the island the day we leave so we could check out some of Belize city. What's the problem there? From everything I've read, it's pretty laid back with tons of friendly locals. Is there a part of town we should avoid?

And BTW.... "dame"? Was this in the late 40's? :lol:

I should clarify Blue Thunder, that I was in Belize City 20 years ago and it was very bad with crime. We did not leave the hotel at night and stayed in to chat and drink.

It certainly may have changed since then- I'll check out the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum and some other places.

(I'm going to Central America within the year.)

But outside of the city, to the beautiful Cay Calker to the inland it was very nice and friendly.
    Vesuve
    NET Rookie

• Found this interesting as to how this resort came to be... Run by a born and raised Belizean....

https://www.cocoplumcay.com/about-us

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Vesuve wrote:I should clarify Blue Thunder, that I was in Belize City 20 years ago and it was very bad with crime. We did not leave the hotel at night and stayed in to chat and drink.

It certainly may have changed since then- I'll check out the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum and some other places.

(I'm going to Central America within the year.)

But outside of the city, to the beautiful Cay Calker to the inland it was very nice and friendly.

I'll have to look into that a bit further I guess. Hopefully it's changed. Still gonna check it out I think. I'll just keep an eye out.

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• My daughter went there with her girl scout troop last month. They had the time of their lives. If you are interested BT I can send you their itinerary.
    Attachments
    19983795_922683391203853_6024435567492449717_o.jpg
    19983795_922683391203853_6024435567492449717_o.jpg (225.04 KiB) Viewed 187 times
    andyh64000
    NET Veteran

• andyh64000 wrote:My daughter went there with her girl scout troop last month. They had the time of their lives. If you are interested BT I can send you their itinerary.

Went to Coco Plum, or just Belize in general? (which would still be awesome) But sure, I'd love to see the itinerary if it's not too big a deal. In fact, just post it here seeing as I'm trying to sell this vacation for no other reason but to share the deal... It's not like I'm getting a finder fee or anything... :lol:

Hell, if I had known they do that, I would have joined Girl Scouts! 8)

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• For those of you with families that looked at this thread and wondered if you could get the same experience, but with your kids... This is the resort right next door, within paddling distance of our island, and it's "kid-friendly" with the same type private cabanas. Thatch Caye Belize resort... Link here: https://thatchcayebelize.com/

It's cheaper too... Wouldn't have anything to do with that "Kids" thing, I'm sure... :lol:
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Ok.... Some people have PM'd me asking how much it costs... Dudes... It's on the website I provided! But no big. Ok... for the general, all-inclusive package, it's just under 5 grand for 7 nights... For our 8 night, all-inclusive package, it was about 5500.00. That covers everything except gratuities for the resort. For a 7 day stay, they suggest a $250 gratuity to cover your entire trip, paid when you settle up at the end of your stay, which is then divvied up amongst the staff... Square deal if you ask me... We're gonna do $300 for 8 days. So add that in. Plus, you're gonna take a bunch of American cash in small denominations with you, for just whatever... If you take a scheduled, no-cost boat ride to spend the day in Dangriga on the mainland on an off-day, you need small bills and no change as they do not generally accept non-paper American money. If you pay $125 bucks through the resort, you get a van with a driver to drive you wherever you wanna go for the day. (While in Dangriga, I'd suggest spending a few bucks at Mimi's Ice Cream Café. Gonna be the first place I hit on our one unscheduled day on the mainland in Dangriga. Yummy! #1 rated ice cream in Belize.... lol)

And they DO NOT offer flight/vacation packages. You have to book your flight separately. It was roughly 1500 bucks, per-person, for our round-trip flights from Sea-Tac airport in Seattle to Belize City Airport and back on United Airlines. But I rung up another $700+ upgrading all of our flights to United Plus, which is 3 inches more leg room. I'm 6'2", and I REFUSE to fly that amount of hours cramped as F in regular coach. Damn sometimes I wish I was a smaller dude... So there ya go. But if you have a specific question, don't hesitate to PM me.

If one of you come up with a deal as impressive as this one, anywhere in the world, I wanna hear about it. Seriously, let me know 'cause I may have another "Once-in-a-lifetime" Vacation in me.... Given the right deal... ;) :D

That should almost be a perma-thread. "Killer vacation deals". :2thumbs:

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Here is the Itinerary (and a couple of pictures) from my daughter's trip last month with her Girl Scout troop:

July 6 – travel to Belize. Meet tour director & go to hotel. Relax and recoup. http://www.belizebiltmore.com
    July 7 – Belize City – Lamanai Ruins (wear walking shoes)
    • Take boat to New River Lagoon
    • Take guided tour of Lamanai Ruins
    • Visit the Old Sugar Mill
    July 8 – Belize City – San Ignacio (wear walking shoes, bring swim suit & towel) http://www.crystalparadise.com
    • Travel to Peccary Hills National Park
    • Take guided jungle hike (walking shoes)
    • Cave tubing (swim suit & towel)
    • Travel to San Ignacio
    July 9 – San Ignacio (wear walking shoes)
    • Transfer to Burrel Boom https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrell_Boom
    • Visit Baboon sanctuary
    • Visit Belize Zoo
    • Return to Belize City
    • Travel by ferry to Ambergris Caye https://ambergriscaye.com/index.php
    July 10 – Ambergris Caye (swim suits & sandals) http://www.bananabeach.com
    • Snorkel Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley
    • Snuba
    • Snorkel
    July 11 – Ambergris Caye
    • Enjoy free time in Ambergris Caye
    July 12 – Ambergris Caye
    • Enjoy free time in Ambergris Caye
    July 13 – Travel to Belize City and then fly home at 1:25pm Arrive home 7/13 @ 11:52pm
    Return
    7/13/2017 1:15 PM Belize City American Airlines
    7/13/2017 5:29 PM Miami Flight# 2440
    7/13/2017 8:25 PM Miami American Airlines
    7/13/2017 11:52 PM Seattle Flight# 0134
    Attachments
    19875482_10155547009113464_8033472465329302985_n.jpg
    19875482_10155547009113464_8033472465329302985_n.jpg (128.21 KiB) Viewed 166 times
    19904961_10155547007793464_2984760403151357149_n.jpg
    19904961_10155547007793464_2984760403151357149_n.jpg (147.69 KiB) Viewed 166 times
    andyh64000
    NET Veteran

• WOW! Holy crap! That's quite the busy itinerary! I think I'd forgo mine for that one... Much more to do! lol
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• A friend of mine has been to Belize about 4 times. Spends a week there working. Him and his boss that is. His boss owns a well company and they take care of the generators from the dams. Yes, it is a rough job, but someone has to do it in February.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• andyh64000 wrote:Here is the Itinerary (and a couple of pictures) from my daughter's trip last month with her Girl Scout troop:

Wow! Thanks for the pics. A wonderful trip for your daughter.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• I'll just leave this here, for people on the fence about this vacation...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRev ... Cayes.html

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:27 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information