Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Another work road trip...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Another work road trip...
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:35 pm
  • So, working for the Navy is starting to pay off! Spent last fall and the one before in San Diego (working on aircraft carriers), a couple weeks in September the year before that in upstate New York (getting training at Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory), was sent to Pearl Harbor in January for a week and a half (to fix a submarine), and was off to Norfolk VA for 3 weeks in March (another carrier). Next I'm headed to Yokosuka, Japan for a 3-week trip! (To fix another carrier...) Won't leave until early August. My previous furthest ever trips outside the US were to Ensenada Mexico once when I lived in San Diego in the 80s, and a trip to Victoria BC in the late 90s.

Problem with these work trips is that always want me to, you know, work. So it's generally 10 or 12 hour days, 13 on and one off, for the whole time. Hawaii was 14 hour days and eating all meals on the sub, so I only got out to Waikiki like twice. Not complaining though, the pay adds right up and I still get to experience a little more than I would have ever had a chance to before. This trip is promising to be 12 hour backshifts, with maybe one day off in the middle (maybe). But, I'll be in Japan and will at least have a couple hours a day to experience a little of the locale.

The secret to getting chosen for these trips is to prove you can quickly and accurately troubleshoot complex problems that stump the other (local) engineers. Good thing I spent all those years (30) as an electronics tech, troubleshooting electronics all day every day!

That's all, just wanted to share. :2thumbs:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Re: Another work road trip...
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:37 pm
  • Congrats, even though you won't have much party time. :)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:38 am
  • See what you can. Japan is a wonderful place with so much to experience. One of the most different from the U.S. I've been to. Absolutely loved it there every time I've been.

:irishdrinkers:
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:45 pm
  • GeekHawk, you sound like you're quite useful! :)

The owner's manual for an aircraft carrier must be even bigger than the one for my Hyundai i30... :lol:
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:21 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:GeekHawk, you sound like you're quite useful! :)

The owner's manual for an aircraft carrier must be even bigger than the one for my Hyundai i30... :lol:

Well, I've got them fooled... ;) And, yes it is!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:20 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:GeekHawk, you sound like you're quite useful! :)

Probably as large as the everything you need to know about women....volume 1. LOL :3-1:

I had fun in Okinawa for a few days and in Japan off of Yokota. Went to Yokosuka or yo-koska as they pronounce it. Took the rail system and it was extremely efficient. Just pay attention to the announcer if you go on the rail. They are quick. At least they were in 1985.

Have fun and enjoy.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:32 pm
  • Sitting in Narita Airport (Tokyo) waiting to get on a plane home. Finished fixing the carrier a week faster than the boss expected... My impressions of Japan range from 'meh' to unfavorable. I'll come back if sent, but won't volunteer. The weather in Yokosuka has 3 states with an optional 4th:1) It is raining; 2) It just rained; 3) It is about to start raining; and 4) The sun came out and it is hot as hell (optional, sandwiched between 2 and 3). At the hotel they insisted on a 3000 yen cash deposit for the key ($30, no receipt), then on checkout (after charging Uncle Sam $2500 for 3-week stay) they refused to give back the deposit and insisted they never charged it in the first place. They stole 3000 yen after charging me 250,000 yen for the room. And, the Honch smells of urine, rather like the alleys in downtown Seattle. So, not a great time overall.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:01 am
  • I was there for a couple days in December 1985, and went to Yokosuka to see a friends friend. Missed him as he was up skiing. So they have another season too...LOL.

Sorry bout the bad trip. I came back with some yen and it got stolen about 8 years or so later when my place got robbed. Oh well.....water under the bridge.

Be happy you can see more football...too. :D
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:57 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information