Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Eclipse

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Eclipse
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:01 am
  • Anyone traveling anywhere to see the eclipse?

I'm gonna try to get to Idaho Falls, where I have family, so I can see it in totality. I'm hearing the interstate will be choked off, cell service nada, food water and gas all scarce for that day.

Please be safe, wherever you go. And though you've heard it a million times before, DON'T LOOK AT THE ECLIPSE without protection. Please practice safe eclipse-viewing. ;) There is stuff coming off the sun that can damage your eyes even when it doesn't force you to look away.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Eclipse
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:16 am
  • I'd actually like to travel for the full view but don't have the time. I think it would be a fun lil road trip.

I would try to do it off the interstate, Jeep Style oIIIIIo

:{)
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: Eclipse
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:08 am
  • Crazy kinda funny how this has panned out, but about 2 months ago i planned a white water rafting trip down the Deschutes for me, my girlfriend, her daughter, my older brother, and his daughter. Trip consisted of heading out to Maupin, OR on Sunday, camping, getting up on Monday to meet up with our guide and head on down the river from 1pm - 6pm. Started purchasing a whole lot of new camping gear, and prepping for everything.

Well, little did i even know, that it was the weekend and day of the eclipse until about 3 weeks ago when all the hoopla and frenzy really started. Oh great.... lol.

From what i am hearing, it's gonna be an absolute sh*t show trying to get into central Oregon, everyone is heading to Madras which is a short distance south of Maupin.

I love adventures, i love chaos, but for some reason i am actually starting to dread the expected possible drive time from Vancouver,WA to Maupin being a possible 6-8 hours (instead of a normal 2.5hrs)

I've even started plotting different travel options of throwing my truck into 4x4 and taking back forestry service and BLM roads.

It could make for one helluva once in a lifetime trip, actually.... it will.
    djTOY2000
    Eli Positioner Extraordinaire

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:50 pm
  • I am going camping on Saturday to move ladies camp to hunt camp where ladies may enter if they wish. But most dont. When that is done, they will probably leave on Sunday morning after all of camp is set up for them and I shall stay for another day as Friday our preseason game is on and I am staying home for that. I shall determine if I want a part of their chaos or just to pack my shit and head home.

Oh as far as the Eclipse, I saw the one in 79 in high school. I shall see this one at about 1130 or so, then back to camp. I shall drive down to Counsil idaho so I can see the full eclipse and then back up to camp. I may even take down a tree and load up the pickup for the trip back on Tuesday. I may even spend Tuesday night up there as they are estimating a 5 hour trip from Boise to Weiser which is 36 miles from me. yes, it is about 75 miles for them. Heck, they would be better off going to a closer area....but they are stupid.

Several Classmates and friends live in Idaho Falls area. That is the area we go once in a while to hunt moose. There is a beautiful scene up in that area near Kilgore. Google it. We went there. it was fantastic.

Be safe, be aware, there are idiots, out there.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Eclipse
Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:58 pm
  • djTOY2000 wrote:Crazy kinda funny how this has panned out, but about 2 months ago i planned a white water rafting trip down the Deschutes for me, my girlfriend, her daughter, my older brother, and his daughter. Trip consisted of heading out to Maupin, OR on Sunday, camping, getting up on Monday to meet up with our guide and head on down the river from 1pm - 6pm. Started purchasing a whole lot of new camping gear, and prepping for everything.

Well, little did i even know, that it was the weekend and day of the eclipse until about 3 weeks ago when all the hoopla and frenzy really started. Oh great.... lol.

From what i am hearing, it's gonna be an absolute sh*t show trying to get into central Oregon, everyone is heading to Madras which is a short distance south of Maupin.

I love adventures, i love chaos, but for some reason i am actually starting to dread the expected possible drive time from Vancouver,WA to Maupin being a possible 6-8 hours (instead of a normal 2.5hrs)

I've even started plotting different travel options of throwing my truck into 4x4 and taking back forestry service and BLM roads.

It could make for one helluva once in a lifetime trip, actually.... it will.

Exactly what I meant by Jeep style
    OIIIIIO

If I had the time I'd do it in a NY minute.

Do it, take your time and plan a good route, make the (travel/trip) part of your vacation. Maybe even camp one night on your way.

I can't think of a reason (short of major breakdown) that you would regret it.

Good luck, and be safe if you do.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:47 pm
  • I'll be traveling to work in Tigard. I'll try to get out for my lunch about 10ish or so.
    JGreen79
    NET Starter

Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:54 pm
  • The wife and I drove down to Nashville on Thursday and have been having a great time. It's like Woodstock in Tenn. A whole lotta people. We went to the Jack Daniels plant in Lynchburg today. Awesome tour.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Starter

Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:53 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:I'd actually like to travel for the full view but don't have the time. I think it would be a fun lil road trip.

I would try to do it off the interstate, Jeep Style oIIIIIo

If you can make it 7 more years, the next one will be going right through Texas.

253hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:49 pm
  • I'll be glad when it's over, it just doesn't interest me at all. The rest of my family is pretty into it, they're all going down to Salem. I just told my dad I see it get dark every night.

We've been warned down here in Portland that it's going to cause the worst traffic event in our history. So far traffic is lighter than it usually is. I think we're getting 1 million visitors but 2 million are choosing just to stay home, skip work and stay off the roads. I have a feeling Tuesday will be the ugly day, when everybody goes back to work and the travelers are trying to get home.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:12 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:I'll be glad when it's over, it just doesn't interest me at all. The rest of my family is pretty into it, they're all going down to Salem. I just told my dad I see it get dark every night.

We've been warned down here in Portland that it's going to cause the worst traffic event in our history. So far traffic is lighter than it usually is. I think we're getting 1 million visitors but 2 million are choosing just to stay home, skip work and stay off the roads. I have a feeling Tuesday will be the ugly day, when everybody goes back to work and the travelers are trying to get home.

I agree. I'm dreading the drive home at 3:30pm tomorrow... the drive in around 4am hopefully won't be to bad.
    JGreen79
    NET Starter

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:16 am
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Eclipse
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:20 am
  • Wife figured out that we could get the reflection in a selfie.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:22 am
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:58 am
  • Reflection...Cool!

My friend's daughter and my daughter took these...
    Attachments
    unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg (59.13 KiB) Viewed 213 times
    eclipse.jpg
    eclipse.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 213 times

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:40 pm
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:56 pm
  • Not a big Eclipse fan but to each their own. Good for those that are.
    Autumn Winds!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:48 pm
  • I watched one like this one today when I was in grade school, 50 years ago or so.
    Today we drove down to the Florence, Oregon Old Town Boardwalk, which allowed us a 97% view of the eclipse today, which was pretty cool.
    I'm glad we stayed near home, I-5 corridor is jammed for hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am a tried and true Seattle Seahawks 12th man, as are all of my children and grandchildren. I wholeheartedly believe that the 12th man, is the true heart and soul of the Seahawks. As goes the 12th man, so go the Seahawks. The Seahawks are only as strong as their true Heart & Soul.
    pacific101
    NET Rookie

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:53 pm
    Attachments
    seenit.PNG
    seenit.PNG (229.45 KiB) Viewed 188 times

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:55 pm
  • It's cloudy and raining here today, and the best we were going to get was a partial eclipse anyway, so I watched it online through the NASA feed on youtube. It was pretty cool. One day I will work out a travel plan to see one total eclipse somewhere.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:24 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:It's cloudy and raining here today, and the best we were going to get was a partial eclipse anyway, so I watched it online through the NASA feed on youtube. It was pretty cool. One day I will work out a travel plan to see one total eclipse somewhere.

Northern Alaska March 30th 2033.
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:44 pm
  • JustTheTip wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:It's cloudy and raining here today, and the best we were going to get was a partial eclipse anyway, so I watched it online through the NASA feed on youtube. It was pretty cool. One day I will work out a travel plan to see one total eclipse somewhere.

Northern Alaska March 30th 2033.

I saw that one. Would be a quick hop on a flight to Nome and could be there and back same day, but it also might be nice to go somewhere and just mingle it into a complete vacation. I still have plenty of time to decide (assuming of course I don't get run over by a bus or something tomorrow)

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:24 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:It's cloudy and raining here today, and the best we were going to get was a partial eclipse anyway, so I watched it online through the NASA feed on youtube. It was pretty cool. One day I will work out a travel plan to see one total eclipse somewhere.

2024 Texas

pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:12 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Anyone traveling anywhere to see the eclipse?

I'm gonna try to get to Idaho Falls, where I have family, so I can see it in totality. I'm hearing the interstate will be choked off, cell service nada, food water and gas all scarce for that day.

Please be safe, wherever you go. And though you've heard it a million times before, DON'T LOOK AT THE ECLIPSE without protection. Please practice safe eclipse-viewing. ;) There is stuff coming off the sun that can damage your eyes even when it doesn't force you to look away.

Didn't have to, it was totally cloudy where I work north of the Missouri river but I have never seen 1:07pm-1:10pm be dark as midnight, it was completely freaky. And yes, I walked away from my desk and pretty much did not care about the whiny bitch boys calling me about their child's broken bat. I took a "Joe" break and didn't get get boo from any supervisor. They were happy I actually showed up, two hours late. BTW Dark Tower sucks as bad as Alien:Covenant.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:44 pm
  • Didn't get very dark in Seattle, unfortunately. Not even as dark as a gray winter day, really...

I did get to see it while at a client on the 39th floor of a downtown building, however.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:08 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Didn't get very dark in Seattle, unfortunately. Not even as dark as a gray winter day, really...

I did get to see it while at a client on the 39th floor of a downtown building, however.

IRo, sad you did not experience the full effect. You are the type that would have seriously appreciated it if we had switched places. It really was mind blowing and indescribable to be honest. Me I didn't care because nobody was at work. Now this was a full eclipse that passed right over my workplace, So yeah.

Personally my boy and myself loved Dark Tower but we never read the books. My roommate who is fan like yourself said it's a bad compilation of a really good book series.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:49 pm
  • I'm too distraught to discuss the Dark Tower film in detail. Maybe in a few decades. :(
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Eclipse
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:36 am
  • We had 97% coverage here, and it didn't feel all that different. Reminded me of a lot of cloud cover. Got a little dark but the sky was still as blue as could be. Weirded out the animals, though. Cows went nuts and the free range chickens went in their coup. Crickets started singing too, my 7 year old son pointed that out. Overall, pretty cool. But with just 3% of the sun visible, it showed me how powerful it is. Sky's blue color never changed. Cool, but not great. I'm sure the folks in the totality path enjoyed the hell out of it, though. Coolest part for me was watching the animals being confused as shit.
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:49 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:We've been warned down here in Portland that it's going to cause the worst traffic event in our history.

Every day in Portland is the worst traffic event in history!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:30 am
  • This was my view in Florida. Not impressed...

drcool
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:22 am
  • I had a 98-99 percent totality view from the bar I was at. There were about 8-10 of us...as everyone else went the extra 20 miles to see totality. We did see a lot of vehicles go by that bar after it was all said and done. A wedding party from Belgium and Australia stopped in for coffee on the way to McCall. I thought it was 30 miles, it is actually 20 miles, but they had a good discussion and I enjoyed our talk. There were about 8 groups that stopped and grabbed ice cream and pie as they needed to use the facility. Got a job on the spot doing some construction work for a couple hours....one hour just after totality and one hour after all the visitors took a hike. What is it with camping? I go camping and get a job for 2 weeks and then I go again and get a day job. I think camping may not be on my list of best things to do from now on.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :stirthepot:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:37 pm
  • I was able to get to Mud Lake, ID and catch it in totality. Totally chilling and awe-inspiring. Words suck to describe it.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:20 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:I was able to get to Mud Lake, ID and catch it in totality. Totally chilling and awe-inspiring. Words suck to describe it.

The place I was at had a purpleish painted front base, and it changed color as it got half way dark. It was eerie and awesome. Instead of staying up in the mountains, I could have just driven 35 miles and seen it near home. Or is that 10 miles....dammit.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:18 am
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:I was able to get to Mud Lake, ID and catch it in totality. Totally chilling and awe-inspiring. Words suck to describe it.

The place I was at had a purpleish painted front base, and it changed color as it got half way dark. It was eerie and awesome. Instead of staying up in the mountains, I could have just driven 35 miles and seen it near home. Or is that 10 miles....dammit.

Yeah, I misjudged the width of the totality. We could have stayed in Idaho Falls, just 30 miles away as the crow flies.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:28 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information