Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Whiskey (specifically Bourbon)

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:48 pm
  • But if some of you Scotch Snobs want to chime in, I guess that would be Ok.

:{)

So, if you happen to have read through the "cigar" thread, you probably noticed that a while back, I jumped the MakersMark ship.
    Two reasons for that, #1 l found something I like better, and #2, they made me mad by selling a big percentage to the Japanese.

A buddy of mine that makes some of the best whiskey that I've ever tasted (at any price) turned me onto Basil Hayden's. It's what my buddy drinks when he drinks store bought. I've been drinking BH for a while now. I like it a lot. It doesn't get great reviews on the youtube but I personally don't give a rat's ass about reviews (generally speaking).
    BTW, BHs is a Jim Beam distillery product. 40% ABV

I just recently found a bourbon that I like even better than Basil Hayden's.

"Eagle Rare" Kentucky Straight Bourbon. 45% ABV. It's a Buffalo Trace Distillery product.

If you like Bourbon, I highly recommend that you give this stuff a try. (If you can find it).

It's currently taking the Bourbon world by storm.
    Well kinda anyway. It's starting to catch the attention of more and more. It's really hard to find at any of the big liquor stores down in Houston but I can get it fairly easily in my local store.

Aside from the flavor profile, one of the beauties of this Bourbon is, it's cheap. Probably won't be for long but I'm currently paying $28 a 750ml.
    As long as I can get it, Eagle Rare is my new favorite.
    Obviously there are some very good (rare, high $) whiskies that would beat this but I'm talking about stuff that us average Joes can afford on a regular basis.

Have you tried Eagle Rare?

What do you drink, if you drink whiskey?

Edit:
    Forgot to mention, Eagle Rare is aged 10 years.

http://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/eagle-rare

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo ... Distillery
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: Whiskey (specifically Bourbon)
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:51 pm
  • Wake me up when you start a tequila thread. 8)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:55 pm
  • As I recently ran out of bourbon and need to restock, Im gonna pick some of this up next time I'm at the store. I used to prefer Bulleit, which is good, but its starting to get expensive.

I havent had a nice bottle of scotch in a while either. Will probly pick up a 15yr Glenfiddich from costco next time Im out.

Edit- price checking online Im finding that the 1.75 ltr of Eagle Rare is marked up to 80$ in WA for what should be a 60$ or cheaper bottle...seems odd.
    Last edited by XxXdragonXxX on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:16 pm
  • I'm not a whisky person, but is there a better bottle for the price than Laphroaig?
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:03 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'm not a whisky person, but is there a better bottle for the price than Laphroaig?

I had a feeling I shouldn't allow Scotch in this thread :{)

Can't help ya, I don't drink it.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:09 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:As I recently ran out of bourbon and need to restock, Im gonna pick some of this up next time I'm at the store. I used to prefer Bulleit, which is good, but its starting to get expensive.

I havent had a nice bottle of scotch in a while either. Will probly pick up a 15yr Glenfiddich from costco next time Im out.

Edit- price checking online Im finding that the 1.75 ltr of Eagle Rare is marked up to 80$ in WA for what should be a 60$ or cheaper bottle...seems odd.

Not sure about prices in Wa. but I do know that gaining popularity is driving up the price.

It's a supply/demand thing.
    Like I said, the big liquor stores in Houston can't keep it on the shelf. I'm thinking the locals near where I live haven't figured it out yet, and I have no intention of letting them in on it.

IMHO, it's worth the $, even at the price you're seeing. You may want to find a 750ml to try, just in case it doesn't impress you like it does me. Be curious to hear what you think when you do try it.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:19 am
  • I can barely tell the difference between whiskey, bourbon, or scotch. And i can't tell any difference between $30 and $200 bottles of any of them.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:36 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:As I recently ran out of bourbon and need to restock, Im gonna pick some of this up next time I'm at the store. I used to prefer Bulleit, which is good, but its starting to get expensive.

Not sure about prices in Wa. but I do know that gaining popularity is driving up the price.

Like I said, the big liquor stores in Houston can't keep it on the shelf. I'm thinking the locals near where I live haven't figured it out yet, and I have no intention of letting them in on it.

IMHO, it's worth the $, even at the price you're seeing. You may want to find a 750ml to try, just in case it doesn't impress you like it does me. Be curious to hear what you think when you do try it.

Yeah Im gonna pick up the 750 tonight. I probably wont touch the 1.75 as that bottle will probably cost over 100$ after the insane WA liquor taxes.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:02 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:I can barely tell the difference between whiskey, bourbon, or scotch. And i can't tell any difference between $30 and $200 bottles of any of them.

Between his and the Hamburger thread, I think you have no taste buds.

pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:07 am
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:As I recently ran out of bourbon and need to restock, Im gonna pick some of this up next time I'm at the store. I used to prefer Bulleit, which is good, but its starting to get expensive.

Yeah Im gonna pick up the 750 tonight. I probably wont touch the 1.75 as that bottle will probably cost over 100$ after the insane WA liquor taxes.

FWIW, I've been drinking it "neat" w/8-10 drops of filtered water.
    I do like to use a frozen glass.

"On the rocks" would be fine as well, as long as the ice didn't have any strong flavors in it. Not sure how your water tastes. Mine here in Texas is bad, real bad actually. Sometimes I even worry about bathing in the water here.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:35 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:

FWIW, I've been drinking it "neat" w/8-10 drops of filtered water.
    I do like to use a frozen glass.

"On the rocks" would be fine as well, as long as the ice didn't have any strong flavors in it. Not sure how your water tastes. Mine here in Texas is bad, real bad actually. Sometimes I even worry about bathing in the water here.

I almost always go on the rocks. I make giant clear ice cubes especially for my whiskey.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:38 am
  • So, I'm TDY in Yokosuka, Japan. Been working 7 12s all night. Finally got a night off tonight, went to the local 7-11 and bought a 750ml bottle of Suntory Old Whisky ("A Taste of The Japanese Tradition"). Apparently the Japanese tradition is to drink bad whisky...
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:55 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:So, I'm TDY in Yokosuka, Japan. Been working 7 12s all night. Finally got a night off tonight, went to the local 7-11 and bought a 750ml bottle of Suntory Old Whisky ("A Taste of The Japanese Tradition"). Apparently the Japanese tradition is to drink bad whisky...

Ive been thinking about trying Japanese whiskey. Wonder what the difference is in how its made.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:19 am
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:So, I'm TDY in Yokosuka, Japan. Been working 7 12s all night. Finally got a night off tonight, went to the local 7-11 and bought a 750ml bottle of Suntory Old Whisky ("A Taste of The Japanese Tradition"). Apparently the Japanese tradition is to drink bad whisky...

Ive been thinking about trying Japanese whiskey. Wonder what the difference is in how its made.

I'd tell you what it says on the label on the back of the bottle, but it's written in Japanese. Even though the front label is 99% English writing.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:53 am
  • I didn't even know they made their own.

Bastards bought my MakersMark though.

:{(

Edit: ok, maybe the "bastards" are the ones that sold out.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:22 pm
  • Sipping the Eagle Rare now. Its enjoyable, a little more spice on the back end than I prefer. But overall a solid sipper.

I am interested to see how it tastes in an old fashioned. Ill probably try that out tomorrow night.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:48 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Sipping the Eagle Rare now. Its enjoyable, a little more spice on the back end than I prefer. But overall a solid sipper.

I am interested to see how it tastes in an old fashioned. Ill probably try that out tomorrow night.

The first couple times I drank it, I was looking for a familiar profile, I didn't find it, and was almost disappointed.

By the time I finished the bottle off, I simply judged it on its own merit. That's when I really started to enjoy it more.

@ $28 a 750 ml, I've had whiskey 3-4 times the cost that I didn't like as well.

Curious what you had to pay in Wa.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:55 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Sipping the Eagle Rare now. Its enjoyable, a little more spice on the back end than I prefer. But overall a solid sipper.

The first couple times I drank it, I was looking for a familiar profile, I didn't find it, and was almost disappointed.

By the time I finished the bottle off, I simply judged it on its own merit. That's when I really started to enjoy it more.

Sticker price was $29.99, +$2.83 liter tax +18.4% sales tax= about $39.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:22 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Sipping the Eagle Rare now. Its enjoyable, a little more spice on the back end than I prefer. But overall a solid sipper.

Holy Catfish!!!

The taxes are crazy.

Does the state still run/own the liquor stores up there?

Are the taxes on legal weed just as high?
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:59 pm
  • Love me some Basil Hayden, but is this Eagle Rare better than Blantons? Cool that it's made by Tatanka either way...
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:32 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:<snip>

Holy Catfish!!!

The taxes are crazy.

Does the state still run/own the liquor stores up there?

Are the taxes on legal weed just as high?

We had a referendum a few years ago to get the state out of the liquor store monopoly business so the prices could get pushed downwards by competition just like most everywhere else. It was STRENUOULY opposed by the state gov't of course. After it passed anyway the Legislature decided to punish the people of Washington State for going against the wishes of their masters in Olympia by imposing Draconian taxes on liquor. "That'll teach 'em!" Then when we also legalized recreational dope, it was a no-brainer to impose like a 33% tax on that as well. Not sure of the exact number because I couldn't be a user even if I wanted to (federal employee).
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:51 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:I can barely tell the difference between whiskey, bourbon, or scotch. And i can't tell any difference between $30 and $200 bottles of any of them.

Between his and the Hamburger thread, I think you have no taste buds.

Nothing like a Big Mac and a glass of Monarch Whiskey on the rocks.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:52 pm
  • Am I the only one wondering if Fender's joking, or serious? :lol:
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:23 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Am I the only one wondering if Fender's joking, or serious? :lol:

Consider his body of work here.

I'm pretty sure he's serious:{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:16 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Am I the only one wondering if Fender's joking, or serious? :lol:

I was trying to be nice.

...Wait. Consider my body of work here. That doesn't make sense. :lol:
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:32 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Am I the only one wondering if Fender's joking, or serious? :lol:

I'm leaning the opposite because everyone with a working brain knows FenderBender is in deep space regardless and is a master at sarcasm at every level. So pick your path and poison FB certainly did so a long time ago, so even it up.;)
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:23 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Am I the only one wondering if Fender's joking, or serious? :lol:

Naw man...he aint serious...a big mac does not do it justice. Now a Mickeydees cheebooger does it justice. But you know Fender....he always tries to go upper deck.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:02 am
  • I just type stuff on my keyboard, guys. I'm no different than any of you.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:46 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:I just type stuff on my keyboard, guys. I'm no different than any of you.

Get off your ass, go spend a couple bucks and try my new Whiskey.
    Eat or smoke whatever suits you with it.
    I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:01 pm
  • Since you allowed Scotch in here....

Glenfiddich 15 year is so smooth. When Im rich Ill start buying some 25 year scotch, but for now the Glenfidddich 15 is great at only 60$ after tax.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:02 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Since you allowed Scotch in here....

Glenfiddich 15 year is so smooth. When Im rich Ill start buying some 25 year scotch, but for now the Glenfidddich 15 is great at only 60$ after tax.

It is (Scotch) after all, Whiskey, and I respect that there are some very good ones. I've even had a couple that I enjoyed.

Just not my favorite distilled spirit.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:38 am
  • I drink spirits rarely - too damned expensive here. But I do love gin. However, I buy it rarely, because a 750ml bottle will last me two nights max.

However, I enjoy an occasional bourbon, or a Scotch. Recently two trucks collided near here, spilling 26,000 litres (6,000 galloms approx) of ferociously burning bourbon. What a tragic waste. A minute's silence needed. But both drivers were OK, which is of course what matters.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... fcc7268afa
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:29 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:But both drivers were OK, which is of course what matters.

It is? We have 7.4 billion people on the planet; I'm pretty sure we can spare a few.

:devil:
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 am
  • I prefer Old Weller Antique 107 when I can find it because it's such a great value. I have an old college buddy and his family coming in town for labor Day that is bringing a bottle of 15 year old George T Stagg for us to sip on!
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information