Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Tequila Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Tequila Thread
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:32 pm
  • My favorite tequilas -- I'm just going to name 5 in two classes. I'll leave it up to other tequila lovers to fill in their brands.

Sipping

#1 About 5 years ago my wife got me a bottle of this stuff for my birthday. Oh man...
    http://www.tequila.net/tequila-reviews/ ... anejo.html If you have the dime (It's 400 to 500 dollars a bottle), this is the only way to fly.

#2 Don Julio 1942 - Great stuff, almost as nice as the as the Seleccion Suprema, but at half the price.

#3 Don Eduardo Anejo - very, very, smooth, and unbeatable for the price. Along with Oro Azul, the only great sipping tequila in the top 5 you can get for under $100 a bottle.

#4 Oro Azul Anejo - depending on the batch, it gives Don Eduardo a run for its money.

#5 Gran Patron Platinum. This is the "original" Patron that used to sell for $50 a bottle all through the 80's and early 90's. Back then, Patron was one of the best tequila's around, but then they got bought out and started watering their agave down with corn alchohol.... yet they never dropped the price! It's one of those scams where you are paying for a name. However the Platinum is still the real deal -- it's the Patron that USED to be their main tequila, it's 100% blue and aged in oak and tastes almost as good as the #3 and #4 on this list, except the price is outrageous at $220 a bottle, more expensive than the Don Julio 1942 and not even in the same class.

Best Mixing Tequila's.

If you're in the mood for an outstanding margarita, these are the tequila's you want.

I make my margarita's at 40% tequila, 15% Grand Marnier, 15% Triple Sec, and 30% my secret slammin lime mix that I make myself. I squeeze fresh limes, then sweeten the juice with boiled down pure sugar cane (I boil raw sugar cane stalks my friend sends me from Okinowa), add a dash of sea salt and a ground fresh vanilla bean.

#1 Rule: ALWAYS ON THE ROCKS

#1 Don Julio Blanco -- down in the Arizona/New Mexico area, these are called "Silver Cloud Margaritas" - Don Julio is a fabulous mixing tequila, a pitcher of this stuff can sneak up on 4 adults. :)

#2 Kah -- Now, this is a serious tequila at 110 proof -- I put this in my margarita's when I want to put a dinner party under the table. ;)

#3 Herradura Repesado -- the original, the classic. Still one of the best mixing tequila's you can find, and if you want to do 6+ straight shots and not get stuck with a killer hangover, this is the tequila you need. I once did 12 shots of Herradura and woke up the next day clear as a bell.

#4 Casa Noble - If you like your Margarita's with plenty of salt on the rim, this is the tequila for you.

#5 Oro Azul Blanco. You really can't go wrong with this stuff either. The beauty of Oro Azul is that it's so damned clean. Also, as far as straight shots go, this is even better than the Herradura Repesado if you don't want a hangover. I hosted a party one time after a big photoshoot in an old western ghost town with several models. Afterwards, they wanted to party. I pulled out the Oro Azul for them. Yea, it's not cheap -- but I'd rather pay for the good tequila than clean puke off my carpet the next morning. Worked like a charm. 6 girls finished two bottles and I had to cut two off, and yet neither got sick after we sent them to bed-- the next morning I made French Toast and bacon and not a single one of them passed on breakfast :) That's the true beauty of a great tequila -- blue agave is a lot easier on the body than other distillations - corn and molasses (Moonshine and Rum) being the absolute harshest.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Re: Tequila Thread
Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:21 am
  • $500/bottle?!? No thank you, for that much I'll just go ahead and ruin my life with cocaine.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:51 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:$500/bottle?!? No thank you, for that much I'll just go ahead and ruin my life with cocaine.

Yea me too.
    I don't drink much tequila but the wife drinks it, almost exclusively.

How bout some hidden value finds.

Ya know, something that costs $50 but tastes like $150.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:48 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:$500/bottle?!? No thank you, for that much I'll just go ahead and ruin my life with cocaine.

Yea me too.

I did. The Oro Azul is $50 and tastes better than the $200 brand below it on the list. :)

But if you want a real hidden value, you can get a bottle of El Charro Repesado or Blanco for $17.50 ... It's about as cheap as Sauza, yet easily 5 to 10 times the quality.

A bottle of El Charro Anejo is a decent sipping tequila and it will only run you 25 to 30 bucks. :2thumbs:
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:41 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:$500/bottle?!? No thank you, for that much I'll just go ahead and ruin my life with cocaine.

Yea me too.

How about one, for half that price? Long ago my father returned from Mexico with a Tequila that could not be found in the U.S. Maybe it was that mystique, maybe it was because it was one of the first I started drinking years after puking my guts out with my first go around with Tequila at age 15, not real sure, but its good.

My first few trips to Cabo, I brought back all I could get on the flight.

After moving to Tejas, I found it was available here. Sorry WA peeps, still can't get it in the NW unless you want to buy it online.

Check out Gran Centenario Reposado, $26 bucks. mucho yumo.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:40 am
  • I'm going to throw in what I believe the best sub-$100 bottle of tequila to be: T1 Anejo.

Also, Herradura Reposado? No thanks. I'll take Milagro Silver for nearly the same price every day of the week and twice on Sunday over that. Papa Bueno is also a newer label that is very, very good for the price.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:42 am
  • I've always been a Herradura fan because of it's consistent quality and heritage.

"For years, only one 100 percent agave tequila, Herradura, was available in the United States, thanks to Bing Crosby and Phil Harris, who discovered it on a trip to Mexico in the 1940's and arranged for its distribution in this country. In the last decade, though, sales of 100 percent agave tequila have taken off."

I highly recommend a new brand called Pasote

http://tastetequila.com/2016/pasote-teq ... he-market/
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:48 pm
  • So, you like Herradura because a wife-beating drunk and Phil Harris liked it on a bender in Mexico? Good call.

;)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:52 pm
  • It's an interesting history. Anyway try the Pasote.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information