Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Wireless Router

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Wireless Router
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:58 am
  • I have Xfinity internet in my home and their wireless connection does not travel very far. What is a good router to get to tack onto it that will give me better coverage and do better going through walls?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Re: Wireless Router
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:11 am
  • Ubiquiti UniFi UAP AC Long Range is an incredibly good "pro-sumer" access point. If it will not give you the coverage you're looking for by going through your walls/floors, nothing will and you'll just need to add more throughout your house.
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:57 am
  • Cool. Thanks.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:46 pm
  • Can't answer this question without a site survey. (Anguish will laugh; or at least he would if he was capable of laughter.)

In all seriousness, however, how big of a space are we talking about; and is it a one story home, or two?

By the way, Ubiquiti makes good hardware, but the reason they're so comparatively cheap is that they have no phone support. Live chat or bust. Just an FYI if you go with them.

I also personally prefer the UniFi AP AC Pro over the LR one that Anguish linked, mainly for the reason that it's faster on 5GHz (1.3Gbps vs. 867Mbps), but also one thing to remember about the long-range WAPs is that just because you can receive data from farther away with them, doesn't mean your laptop/phone/tablet/TV can send data to them from those longer distances. At longer distances, you might see performance problems with a full or nearly full signal strength indicator because your wimpy-by-comparison Wi-Fi chipset can't really send data that far back to the long-range WAP.

Just food for thought.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:19 am
  • If you have gyprock walls, my son could have helped you out when he was an ice addict - simply punch holes in all the walls. :evil:
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:49 am
  • https://www.securifi.com/almondplus

I"ve had to find a long range router and the securifi almond has done a great job.
    you can use it as a main router or a extender.

I've had many issues with the normal Linksys, and other routers but this one has been solid for the last 3 years.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:39 pm
  • I went with a Netgear 1900 or something like that. Seems to be working fine. I was scared off from Anguish's suggestion because reviews said it wasn't user friendly.

The house is only about 1800 sq ft spread out over two floors. Internet connection is on the second floor.

Good point about being able to send the data. Never considered that.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:45 pm
  • Might be better $ spent getting 1 or 2 range extenders in the home (TP-link has em dirt cheap and they work fine. Lots of other brands). Plug em in to an outlet and go to town.
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information