Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Oregon fires

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Oregon fires
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:12 am
  • Man, it's bad down here. Worse I can ever remember it in Oregon. Woke up to my car covered in ash. Some idiot kid playing with fireworks started the eagle creek fire burning in the gorge which has now jumped to both sides of the Colombia. Some of the pictures from this fire are apocalyptic. I was hiking the eagle creek trail just a few weeks ago, that's some dense, gnarly forest. Multnomah falls lodge has fire burning directly above it. Chetco fire in southern Oregon is even worse down near brookings.
    Last edited by JSeahawks on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: Forrest fires
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:14 am

Re: Oregon fires
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:19 am
  • Some Oregon rain would be nice right about now.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:20 am
  • http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... ires-rage/

The first picture in the gallery in that article is from where I live, North Bend, WA. I've never seen anything like what I woke up to this morning. At 6:30am it was 87 degrees, there was a hot, strong wind, ash covering everything, the smoke was so thick it was alarming. I immediately turned on the news and started looking online, because I thought there must've been a fire very, very close to us. I was amazed to find out that all of this is from fires on the east side of Snoqualmie Pass, near Cle Elum. It's just shocking how bad it is in North Bend.

I work in Redmond and it is much, much better down here, but I am really not looking forward to going home later. You can smell the smoke inside our house, outside it's almost unbearable. Also, we have no way to cool our house other than opening the windows, which obviously isn't an option. I'm honestly a little worried about our cats, even though they are indoor cats.

Like I said, I've never seen anything like this before in my life. I hope we get a change in the weather/winds soon.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:58 pm
  • Seems like there's so many more forest fires these days than there was when I was growing up. I hear people say that part of it is due to a decrease in logging and keeping the forests thinned, and that also when the loggers were out in the forest, there was a better first line of defense for putting out the fires (the loggers would put out the fires).
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:06 pm
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:08 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Seems like there's so many more forest fires these days than there was when I was growing up. I hear people say that part of it is due to a decrease in logging and keeping the forests thinned, and that also when the loggers were out in the forest, there was a better first line of defense for putting out the fires (the loggers would put out the fires).

Below is a short Tedx Talk that a friend of mine's Dad did. Logging is actually attributed to being one of the reasons that forest fires are getting so bad. Loggers would cut down the largest, healthiest and unknowingly the most fire-resistant trees (due to their size, age, thickness of bark). So what has happened is a lot of areas that have been logged previously have a lot of dense "underbrush" and/or much smaller and younger trees that have grown in the place of the larger trees. Lightning strikes after dry spells during the summer and the forest fires consume the younger trees and brush that can't withstand the heat and thus become fuel and spreads much easier than anything we've seen before.

It's a good watch, though his full presentation is much more impressive and gives a better idea of what's causing this "Era of Megafires" and what we can do to prevent/minimize them in the future.

We've got less than a mile of visibility here in Wenatchee, intermittent ash-showers and smoke over the last 6 or 7 days. Fun times.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:48 pm
  • It seems like pretty much the whole West is burning.

British Columbia has been burning for months at this point.

These fires aren't going to go out until we enter a prolonged wet and cool weather pattern. Otherwise known as Fall, maybe even Winter.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:19 pm
  • I've never ever seen it this bad. Our air quality on a scale of 1 to 10 is 1 today. Ash everywhere. Sky is yellow. Moon is red at night, as is the sun. The smell of smoke is strong if I open the back door to let my dog out. Disgusting. Stay safe folks.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:36 pm
  • I live in Bothell, and I was surprised to come out this morning to find a light covering of ash on my car. The inside of my vehicle looked like it hadn't been dusted/cleaned in years, too. Light ash floating all over the place in the air...crazy.

Of course, people that were here for Mount St. Helens are probably like "lol, you noobs don't know anything."
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:14 am
  • Been dealing with this shit as well in BC for 3 months. Evacuated once for two weeks and smoke and new fires never stop. Been an awful summer.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:55 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I live in Bothell, and I was surprised to come out this morning to find a light covering of ash on my car. The inside of my vehicle looked like it hadn't been dusted/cleaned in years, too. Light ash floating all over the place in the air...crazy.

Of course, people that were here for Mount St. Helens are probably like "lol, you noobs don't know anything."

Yes Iro you know nothing....................

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:20 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Yes Iro you know nothing....................

Considering all the people I've been compared to over the years, I'm mighty proud to be compared to Jon Snow Aegon Targaryen.

8)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:36 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Yes Iro you know nothing....................

Considering all the people I've been compared to over the years, I'm mighty proud to be compared to Jon Snow Aegon Targaryen.

8)

Ae-Jon..........

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:56 am
  • Apparently the Eagle Creek fire was started by teenagers lighting off fireworks in the woods.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/06/us/oregon ... index.html

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information